John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary
Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper
Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer
Alan Ginsberg, Hare Krishna
Hare, Hare Krishna

All we are saying is give peace a chance

SU News

635832871492602678-USATSI-8920555.jpg

Look for Syracuse to Keep Shooting vs. St Bonaventure (D&C; DiVeronica)

Just like those Syracuse University shooters who didn't hesitate to pull the trigger, Jim Boeheim didn't blink when asked about the Orange's 11-for-34 shooting from beyond the arc in Friday's season opener.

"We don't have another option," the SU head coach said after a sloppy 57-47 win against Lehigh at the Carrier Dome. "That's the best option for us. That shot. We have to make those."

The Orange (1-0) will need to rely on jump shots until big men DaJuan Coleman and Tyler Roberson show more than they did on Friday, which was very little. They combined for two points and seven rebounds. Coleman was in foul trouble. Roberson, a junior forward, just seemed inactive and that's not something this Syracuse team an afford.

SU will seek more balance when its hosts St. Bonaventure on Tuesday at 7 p.m., their first regular-season meeting since 2009. The Orange lead the series, which started in 1923-24, 23-3. They used to be state rivals, playing at least once a season from 1976-88.

The Bonnies (1-0) are coming off a 63-53 victory over Binghamton in Olean on Friday. Senior forward Dion Wright had 20 points and Denzel Gregg, a 6-foot-7 junior forward who formerly played at Nottingham High School in Syracuse, had 15 points and 11 rebounds. Swingman Marcus Posley, last year's top scorer at 16.7 points per game, was held to five.

10330936-essay.jpg

St. Bonaventure to Renew Rivalry with Syracuse Tuesday at the Carrier Dome (gobonnies.com)

The Starting Five Notes:

1. St. Bonaventure and Syracuse – two Universites separated by about 180 miles – meet on the hardwood for the first time since 2009. Regular opponents in the 1970s and 1980s, the schools have only met five times since 2001. The Bonnies have never won at Syracuse.

2. In a storyline which will likely be the early-season focus, St. Bonaventure has just eight healthy scholarship players. Injuries have sidelined both Jordan Tyson and Courtney Stockard indefinitely. Walk-on Caleb McGuire gives the Bonnies nine players in uniform. Five experienced players lead St. Bonaventure. Senior co-captains Dion Wright and Marcus Posley combined to average 30.2 points per game last season.

3. This Bonnies opened the year with a 63-53 win last Friday at home over Binghamton. Wright led all scorers with 20 points while Denzel Gregg had 15 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman Nelson Kaputo played key minutes off the bench, finishing with seven points and five assists. Bona's defense was solid, holding the Bearcats to 29.8 percent shooting and forcing 18 turnovers.

4. Two St. Bonaventure players, junior forward Denzel Gregg and sophomore guard Idris Taqqee, have intriguing story angles connected to this game. Gregg is a native of Syracuse who grew up going to SU games in the Carrier Dome. Taqqee was the prep school roommate of Syracuse sophomore guard Caleb Joseph at Cushing Academy (more later in notes).

5. Coach Mark Schmidt is in his ninth season at the helm of the St. Bonaventure program. Schmidt, who is the fourth-longest tenured coach in the Atlantic 10, has 125 wins at Bona's. He needs eight wins to pass Jim Baron for sixth place on Bona's coaching wins list, and 10 to pass Eddie Melvin.

a0c5725d12f63ebabf26d5c0c63f2dac.jpg

Orange Watch: Yearning for SU Guard Sherman Douglas 'Alley Oop' Pass (thejuice; Bierman)

Item: What’s come over college basketball this decade? Scoring has gone steadily downhill, not only for Syracuse but nationwide, despite teams shooting an onslaught of shots beyond the arc. After two exhibition game blowouts and an opening night 57-47 win over Patriot League member Lehigh (only 57 points?) in which the ‘Cuse (1-0) launched an incredible total of 34 three-pointers, or just five off the school record, unless the Orange develops some sort of inside game offensively, we figure to see a lot more of where that came from the rest of this season, continuing with tonight’s revival of the one-time upstate grudge rivalry with St. Bonaventure (1-0) in the Dome (7:00 p.m. ET / ACCRSNs-ESPN3).

No wonder Sherman Douglas (1986-89) left the Syracuse campus in the spring of 1989 as the NCAA all-time leader in assists with 960, a record since broken by six players and currently topped by former Duke great Bobby Hurley with 1076. Douglas also holds the school and NCAA (tied with two others) game record with 22 “dimes” in a 1989 win over Providence.

Over essentially three seasons (Douglas played behind Pearl Washington his freshman year) running the offense, including Jim Boeheim’s first Final Four team of 1987, Douglas had an uncanny knack in the offensive end of driving towards the basket and finding an open Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly, Stevie Thompson, or Billy Owens, for an all-in-one motion pass and easy inside shot for a hoop, and he had the green light from Jim Boeheim to execute the play whenever he saw fit.

Unlike this current edition of the Orange, even with a small sample size so far, Syracuse had a strong inside game during that era that opponents respected, whether it was Coleman on the offensive and defensive boards, a true center that could score and who improved drastically over his four seasons wearing orange in Seiklay, and the shorter-in-stature jumping jacks Thompson and Owens who could get off the floor in a hurry, grab Douglas’s perfectly timed lob passes, and slam the ball into the basket with authority.

Other

19211172-mmmain.jpg

Former J-D Star Tyler Cavanaugh Leads George Washington to Shocking Win Over No. 6 Virginia (PS; Fleming)

Former Jamesville-DeWitt star Tyler Cavanaugh helped lead George Washington to the biggest upset of the young college basketball season. His 18 points paced the Colonials to the 73-68 victory against No. 6 Virginia.

Cavanaugh dropped eight points in the first, scoring 10 more in the second while recording three rebounds and a steal. Cavanaugh finished 5-10 from the field and a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line.

His solid performance comes after dominating Lafayette in the season-opener to the tune of 15 points and 17 rebounds.

After averaging 8.8 points and 3.8 rebounds during the 2013-2014 season for Wake Forest, Cavanaugh transferred to George Washington. The 6-foot-9 forward sat out last season due to transfer rules.

George Washington led by three points at halftime, but fell behind 55-54 with 8:30 to play. The Colonials outscored the Cavaliers 19-13 the rest of the way to seal the upset.

Colonial fans stormed the court following the huge upset.

Back in September, GW head coach Mike Longeran said, "I think [Tyler Cavanaugh] is going to have a monster year." Through two games, Cavanaugh is averaging 16.5 points and 10 rebounds.

Former Westhill star Jordan Roland also played five minutes for the Colonials, but went scoreless in the win. The freshman played four minutes in GW's season opener vs. Lafayette and tallied two points on a couple free throws.

I never knew any of the lyrics of "Give Peace a Chance" other than the chorus. I am astonished and delighted to see this. Thank you!

Okay, I'm pretty sure Rosemary was the Nixon secretary who erased minutes of controversial tape. I don't know who Tommy Cooper and Derek Taylor are. The others I know. Hare Krishna was a young man who continually assaulted me in the O'Hare airport.

I never knew any of the lyrics of "Give Peace a Chance" other than the chorus. I am astonished and delighted to see this. Thank you!

Okay, I'm pretty sure Rosemary was the Nixon secretary who erased minutes of controversial tape. I don't know who Tommy Cooper and Derek Taylor are. The others I know. Hare Krishna was a young man who continually assaulted me in the O'Hare airport.
I am assuming the Tommy Cooper John refers to here was a Welsh prop comedian and magician who was pretty famous in GB around the time this song was written. John loved silly comics from the time he was little.

Derek Taylor was the Beatles publicist, and a good friend of John's. I think he was just giving him a shout out to a friend there...