Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Civil_Air_Patrol_seal.png

Welcome to Civil Air Patrol Day!

Six days before the Japanese Empire conducted the surprise attack upon the American military bases around Pearl Harbor, civilian and military leaders culminated three years of pioneering discussions by creating the Civil Air Patrol.

Who?

Sadly, that is the reaction of most Americans. During the post-Vietnam days, many young Americans learned to look down upon military service. (Sadly, many of them were taught that outlook by their parents — many of whom were alive to raise families because they had dodged the draft a few years earlier.) And, if people looked down upon professional military service, imagine how much more the "Me" Generation looked down upon unpaid, volunteer,para-military service. Yet, even during the darkest days of the Jimmy Carter administration, teenage Americans became CAP cadets.

SU News

565d8284ea9b3.image.jpg

Badgers Bronson Koenig, Nigel Hayes Struggle in New Role as Leaders (wiscnews.com; Polzin)

For Bronson Koenig and Nigel Hayes, it was just another trip into hostile territory.

The same couldn’t be said for their teammates on the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team Sunday afternoon at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, Oklahoma.

Half of the members of UW’s eight-man rotation — redshirt freshman Ethan Happ, along with three true freshmen reserves — were playing in the first true road games of their careers.

Two other regulars, junior guard Zak Showalter and junior forward Vitto Brown, were making their first career road starts.

The result was somewhat predictable: The Badgers’ growing pains were noticeable early and often during a 65-48 loss to No. 7 Oklahoma.

It doesn’t get much easier for UW, which will spend one full day back in Madison before hitting the road again. The Badgers (4-3) play No. 14 Syracuse (6-0) at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday night as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

The Orange moved into the polls this week — they’re ranked No. 19 by the coaches — after beating a pair of ranked teams, Connecticut and Texas A&M, en route to winning the Battle 4 Atlantis last week.

It’s important to remember Koenig and Hayes are still getting used to new roles as many of their teammates experience so many firsts early in the season. After spending their first two seasons in complementary roles, surrounded by a veteran supporting cast, Koenig and Hayes are being looked upon to lead a young team.

Poll Attacks: One AP Ballot Seems to be Ignoring Syracuse's Resume (cbssports.com; Parrish)

Syracuse won the Battle 4 Atlantis by beating Charlotte, Connecticut and Texas A&M last week. But one Associated Press voter either doesn't care or doesn't know. (Or both.) Either way, he's getting a featured role in this week's Poll Attacks.

Let's get it!

Associated Press Poll: I used to worry that, at some point, AP voters would get tired of being publicly ridiculed and start paying closer attention to avoid being featured in the Poll Attacks, which would make the Poll Attacks more difficult to do on a week-to-week basis. And I know, from talking to several AP voters, that such is true in lots of cases because, some have told me, I keep them on their so-called toes.

But it's still not true for everybody.

Some voters continue to submit ridiculous ballots each week.

And this week, one such ridiculous ballot, belongs to John McNamara.

John covers Maryland for The Capital Gazette. He's a good human. But, my lord, the ballot he submitted this week is indefensible -- and not only because it doesn't include Syracuse. I mean, not ranking Syracuse seems stupid to me considering Jim Boeheim's team is 6-0 with wins over Connecticut and Texas A&M. But if you don't think much of Connecticut and Texas A&M, you don't necessarily have to rank Syracuse on your Top 25 ballot, I suppose.

That's where John runs into a problem, though.

Because he apparently does think much of Connecticut and Texas A&M.

4) Wisconsin at No. 14 Syracuse

Wednesday, 7:15 p.m. (ESPN2)

You probably know, if you follow college basketball at all, that Bo Ryan has never finished outside of the top four of the Big Ten standings since becoming Wisconsin's coach in 2001, and that he's never missed the NCAA Tournament at Wisconsin either. That's amazing, frankly. But both streaks appear in jeopardy this season given that the Badgers are operating without five of their top seven scorers from last season -- including three NBA players -- and have dropped three of their first seven games, among them a home game to Western Illinois. Bottom line, there's little reason to think Wisconsin is likely to win at the Carrier Dome on Wednesday. But I still think the Badgers will keep it close, somehow.
Prediction: Syracuse 66, Wisconsin 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom