Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
joe-franklin.jpg

Welcome to Joe Franklin Day!

It’s Joe Franklin Day! The Joe Franklin Show was one of the longest-running TV talk shows in history. The program was on the air for more than 40 years and produced more than 28,000 episodes.

Joe Franklin, the host of The Joe Franklin Show, began his career as a radio personality when he was just seventeen years old. He made his television debut in 1950 and invented an entirely new programming format—the talk show.

Throughout his career, Joe Franklin interviewed hundreds of thousands of people. Today we honor and celebrate this self-proclaimed "King of Entertainment,” and all that he has done for television.

SU News

usa-today-8939979.0.jpg

SU Football 2016 Preview: Youth Anchors Worrisome Defensive Line (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The Syracuse Orange's third week of spring football practice begins. We continue taking a look at the most pressing questions and issues surrounding the team.

Today's topic:

Syracuse's weakest link could be a young, inexperienced defensive line
Who's on campus?

Just one starter, defensive tackle Kayton Samuels. Along with the redshirt sophomore, Steven Clark,Jake Pickard, Anthony Giudice, Chris Slayton are the other big returning names. Trey Dunkelbergerand Kenneth Ruff are also on campus, and have changed positions (from tight end and linebacker, respectively) to help fill the depth chart void at defensive end. Hernz Laguerre appears to betaking reps at end as well, as the team looks for any and all solutions at its thinnest position.

Who's arriving this summer?

Help! Specifically, four true freshman that could all end up seeing some playing time this fall given the aforementioned (and will-be-repeated) depth issues.

Dino Wants Smaller OL By the Fall (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

When previewing the Syracuse Orange offensive line last week, we'd guessed that the heralded class of 2015 players were at a bit of an impasse. While each one of them -- Cody Conway, Evan Adams, Colin Byrne, Sam Clausman and AJ Deurig -- is a promising young player at their respective spots, we weren't sure if their bigger, heavier frames were what Dino Babers had in mind for this offense.

Ends up that was spot-on based on what he told media today following this morning's practice session. As he told Syracuse.com:

"This summer is going to be very, very important in how we train them. The offensive line has to lose some weight. Some guys have to gain some strength, and those are the things that are going to give us a chance."

"I just think we have some offensive linemen that are too big and need to lose some weight. And we have other guys that need to gain weight."

-52fc161ccabcb109.jpg

Don Bosco Prep QB Tommy DeVito Discusses His Recruitment (nj.com; Hunt)

But where does Rutgers stand with the rising senior?

"They are all at the same level. All the schools that offered me have a fair chance. But I'm definitely gonna get back to every college that offered me, go to their spring practices and see more of the schools," DeVito said.

One thing that could help Rutgers down the stretch is DeVito's relationship with former Scarlet Knight quarterback Mike Teel, his offensive coordinator at Bosco.

"Tommy does a great job getting us in and out of the right plays, and makes the throws when they count," Teel said in February. "We needed him to win us some games this year and he played his best in big moments. He is really talented and as he continues to learn to play the position, he is going to develop into being one of the top quarterbacks in the state."

DeVito has visited multiple schools recently, including Rutgers, Temple, Syracuse, Maryland, UPenn and Yale. And he has additional treks on tap.

Which recruits did Rutgers offer recently?

"Rutgers is the 26th of this month, Boston College is the 18th or 19th of this month. Maryland is the ninth of April, and Syracuse, I'm not sure of the date but know it's next month," he said.

NYXXSU6969A%20(4).jpg

"Mr Bengal" SU Alum Dave Lapham, to Speak at Franklin County HS Fund Raiser (newsexaminer.com)

With an eye toward continued support of Franklin County High School athletics, the newly-established Franklin County Athletic Boosters are pleased to bring a very special guest to Brookville for the club's inaugural Sports Social, presented by TriHealth.

Former Cincinnati Bengal offensive lineman and current Bengal radio analyst Dave Lapham will be the featured speaker at the first annual event, taking place this Friday at Third Place Event Center, 734 Main St.

Since its creation, the Boosters club has strived to increase awareness and support for all FCHS athletics.

“The key to the success of the booster club is the volunteers,” stated school athletic director Todd Sacksteder, who accepted the first of three pledged distributions from FCAB last fall in the amount of $4,638. “If there are more volunteers, it means they can coordinate more activities. The more activities that are coordinated, then the greater opportunity to raise more money to support the student athletes.”

Other

-59b3a55d823857aa.JPG

92-Year-Old Chandeliers Returned to Hotel Syracuse (PS; Moriarty)

The Hotel Syracuse's chandeliers were returned to the historic downtown building on Tuesday following their six-month renovation in Connecticut.

Workers with Associated Industrial Riggers, of East Syracuse, hoisted 92-year-old chandeliers back up to the ceiling in the hotel's grand lobby. They also installed newly created, though old looking, chandeliers in the hotel's Persian Terrace room.

Artisans at Grand Light, of Seymour, Conn., cleaned and restored the lobby chandeliers and created the new ones for the Persian Terrace. The company has also restored the original chandeliers from the hotel's Grand Ballroom, some of which weigh 700 pounds. Those will be hoisted back into place at a later time.

Hotel owner Ed Riley plans to reopen the hotel as a 261-room Marriott Syracuse Downtown this summer following a $70 million renovation and historical restoration. Opened in 1924, the hotel closed in 2004 and was acquired by Riley in 2014.

Hope Alvin has a nice senior year in this offense. I looked kinda stupid after picking him as my breakout player last year. Not the first time that has happened, trust me. Hopefully he proves me right one year late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom