Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FrenchFriesDayV2Jul132013.gif

Welcome to National French Fries Day!

Today is National French Fries Day! French fries are the ultimate feel-good food, and there are dozens of different ways to enjoy them. Whether you prefer your fries Cajun-style, sweet potato, crinkle-cut, curly, waffle, or covered in chili and cheese, today is the day to celebrate this American favorite.

Although the exact origin of French fries is unknown, one theory suggests that they date back to 17th century Belgium. The inhabitants of this region often cooked small fried fish to accompany their meals. When weather conditions made it too dangerous to go fishing, they cut up potatoes in long, thin strips (to resemble the fish) and fried them!

Today, French fries are a global phenomenon. Whether it’s “pommes frites” in France, “patatas fritas” in Spain, or “chips” in the UK, French fries are a worldwide favorite. Grab an order of fries today to celebrate National French Fries Day!

SU News

ChZk9PyW4AEBR1n.0.0.jpg

Syracuse Football Recruiting: DeVito Says 'Thanks But No Thanks' to Texas A&M (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Suitors have come calling. It doesn't mean DeVito's listening.

Obviously Syracuse Orange QB commit Tommy DeVito has been gaining some nationwide notoriety of late. The 2017 Don Bosco Prep (N.J.) star went from a three-star seen as an underdog at the Elite 11, to a four-star and one of the best players at The Opening Finals this past weekend -- all in the matter of a couple months.

To no one's surprise, that hype has meant interest from perceived "better" schools looking to flip him from SU. So far, DeVito's not budging -- at least when it came to Texas A&M:

"I told them thank you, but no thank you. They were trying to see if I would consider them despite my commitment. I'm 100 percent solid with my commitment to Syracuse, though."

DeVito dropped that nugget to NJ.com after returning from The Opening, and it speaks volumes about how firm he is with the Orange right now. A&M runs a similar offense to Syracuse, so the trade-off is really just location, brand and the SEC. Among other reasons, DeVito's cited SU's proximity to home as part of his commitment -- clearly Texas is at least a little further away from New Jersey than Central New York is.

Get to Know Your Orange Man - #53, LS Nathan Hines (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

You don't know much about long snappers, until you really need to...

Name: Nathan Hines
Position: Long Snapper
Year: Junior
Height: 6'6''
Weight: 256
Hometown: Catonsville, Md.
High School: Catonsville
2015 Stats: Hines did see any action for the Syracuse Orange in 2015.
2016 Projections: He'll sit behind Matt Keller on the long snapper depth chart once again, but now he's the only backup following Keith Mitsuuchi's departure.
How'd He Get Here?: Hines was ready to head to Maryland as a walk-on, then we offered him a preferred walk-on spot in 2014. Syracuse bringing in Keller didn't do Hines any favors in terms of playing time or a scholarship, unfortunately.
What'd Recruiting Sites Say?: They didn't say anything. Rude.
Money Quote: Nathan talked about the economics of his decision back when he chose Syracuse over Maryland.
"If the story was I was walking on for four years and I had to pay my way, then yeah, it would be a completely different story. A private institution that's costing upwards of $50,000 a year for four years, that's $200,000 versus Maryland, where I can get by with $100,000."

Virginia Tech Hokies — 2016 Syracuse Football preview (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2016 ACC schedule when it plays Virginia Tech on Oct. 15.

BEAMER BALL OVER: New Virginia Tech Justin Fuente is replacing a legend at Virginia Tech. From 1987 to 2015, Frank Beamer compiled 280 wins and retired as the winningest active coach at the FBS level. But there’s no doubt that the Hokies needed an injection of new blood after the team had stagnated over the last few seasons. Virginia Tech had not won more than eight games since the 2012 season, and started off 3-5 last season before winning four of its last five to close the Beamer Ball era. Fuente will tweak things a bit, installing an up-tempo, spread offense that helped him win 19 games in his last two seasons at Memphis.

» Related: Wake Forest Demon Deacons — 2016 Syracuse Football preview

WHO TO WATCH FOR: Fifth-year senior quarterback Brenden Motley took the reigns as the starter after Michael Brewer was injured in the first game against Ohio State. He was more than up to the task, throwing for 1,155 yards and 11 touchdowns (with three more TDs on the ground) in his six starts. But Motley will face stiff competition from JUCO transfer Jerod Evans. Evans was initially recruited by Fuente at Memphis, and is considered a better fit for the spread offense, and it remains to be seen who will start. Regardless of who starts, he will be handing the ball off to redshirt sophomore Travon McMillian, who rushed for 1043 yards and seven touchdowns despite only starting seven games. He was named an All-ACC Honorable Mention by the coaches.

Why Syracuse Football fans should be excited for the Dino Babers Era | isportsweb (isportsweb.com; Moritz)

There is no doubt that the Scott Shafer experiment did not reap positive results. Schafer was able to win the Texas bowl in 2013 against Minnesota, however, that was with Doug Marrone’s players. When it was time for his players to step up, Schafer was able to go just 7-17; compiling a miserable three conference wins. Suffice to say that there isn’t anywhere to go for Orange football team than up. Ex Athletic Director Mark Coyle could not leave Syracuse fast enough; but before he left,he made the decision to hire Dino Babers. I believe this choice is one that will lead to Syracuse becoming relevant again in the ACC and be a perennial “bowl game” team. The only initial concern for me was the fact that Syracuse was going to hire yet another mid major coach. As explained above, the last one (Scott Shafer) did not go smoothly. Other than that fact, Babers and Shafer have little in common.

Dino Babers albeit a relative novice to Head Coaching has been an assistant coach for 24 years (1987-2011). It is undeniable that Dino Babers is an experienced football coach. He has been an assistant coach at schools such Arizona, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, UCLA and Baylor. These schools have successful football histories and have helped Babers grow his football IQ. Experience check, now to football philosophy.

636039553893530746-hendershot.jpeg

Tri-West TE Peyton Hendershot commits to IU (indystar.com; Osterman)

Indiana's 2017 football recruiting class added yet more in-state talent to its ranks Tuesday, with the commitment of Tri-West tight end Peyton Hendershot.

A former Ball State commit, Hendershot reopened his recruitment on June 21, two days after the Hoosiers formally extended a scholarship offer. On Tuesday night, the Bruins' standout picked IU, making him the fourth in-state player among eight current commits.

"Since the day they offered, I knew I was going there," Hendershot told IndyStar via text message. "I was thinking about visiting Penn State. They wanted me to. But after talking to my parents, I knew there was no better fit than IU."

#GoHoosiers ⚪pic.twitter.com/eXRZWkyRXh

— Peyton Hendershot (@P_hendershot5)
July 12, 2016
Hendershot stood out on both sides of the ball as a junior at Tri-West, catching eight touchdowns and posting four sacks. He finished last season with 685 yards on 51 receptions as well and, at 6-4, 225 pounds, he is projected to develop as a at tight end in college.

The 247Sports Composite rates Hendershot a three-star prospect, and the No. 48 tight end in the rising senior class. He also held offers from Ball State, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Bowling Green and Wake Forest, among others.

Unsealed testimony reveals Paterno knew of Sandusky abuse at Penn State in '76 (PS; Axe)

New documents unsealed in a Philadelphia court on Tuesday reveal a man testified that former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno ignored his complaints of a sexual assault committed by assistant coach Jerry Sandusky in 1976.

The man, identified in court as John Doe 150, said that while he was attending a football camp at Penn State, Sandusky touched him as he showered. The man testified that he was 14 years old at the time.

From the Washington Post:

Sandusky's finger penetrated the boy's rectum, Doe testified in court in 2014, and the victim asked to speak with Paterno about it. Doe testified that he specifically told Paterno that Sandusky had sexually assaulted him, and Paterno ignored it.
"Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, 'I don't want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?'" the man's lawyer asked him in 2014.

"Specifically. Yes ... I was shocked, disappointed, offended. I was insulted... I said, is that all you're going to do? You're not going to do anything else?"

Paterno, the man testified, just walked away.

Other

20730333-mmmain.jpg

Exclusive: Exelon would save FitzPatrick nuclear plant if state OKs subsidies (PS; Knauss)

Exelon Corp., the owner of Nine Mile Point Nuclear Station, is in talks to buy and continue operating the adjacent FitzPatrick plant, which will shut down six months from now if the deal fails, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

An agreement could be announced as early as tomorrow, said the source, who asked to remain anonymous because neither Exelon nor FitzPatrick owner Entergy Corp. had authorized public statements.

Exelon's acquisition of FitzPatrick would be contingent on state approval of new nuclear subsidies proposed Friday by staff of the New York Public Service Commission, the source said.

The potential last-minute rescue of FitzPatrick heightens the stakes for the PSC, which is conducting an expedited review of ratepayer-funded subsidies worth $480 million a year to keep the four Upstate nuclear reactors running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom