Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
pirate3.png

Welcome to Talk Like a Pirate Day!

International Talk Like a Pirate Day (ITLAPD, September 19) is a parodic holiday created in 1995 by John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket) and Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy), of Albany, Oregon,[1]U.S., who proclaimed September 19 each year as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate.[2] For example, an observer of this holiday would greet friends not with "Hello," but with "Ahoy, matey!" The holiday, and its observance, springs from a romanticized view of theGolden Age of Piracy.

"Cap'n Slappy" and "Ol' Chumbucket", the founders of Talk Like a Pirate Day
According to Summers, the day is the only known holiday to come into being as a result of a sports injury. During a racquetball game between Summers and Baur, one of them reacted to the pain with an outburst of "Aaarrr!", and the idea was born. That game took place on June 6, 1995, but out of respect for the observance of the Normandy landings, they chose Summers' ex-wife's birthday, as it would be easy for him to remember.[1][3]

At first an inside joke between two friends, the holiday gained exposure when John Baur and Mark Summers sent a letter about their invented holiday to the American syndicated humor columnist Dave Barry in 2002.[4] Barry liked the idea and promoted the day.[4] Growing media coverage of the holiday after Barry's column has ensured that this event is now celebrated internationally, and Baur and Summers now sell books and T-shirts on their website related to the theme. Part of the success for the international spread of the holiday has been attributed to non-restriction of the idea or non-trademarking, in effect opening the holiday to creativity and "viral" growth.[5]

SU News

9546229-ncaa-football-south-florida-syracuse-785x560.jpg

For Syracuse football, growth comes with pains of mistakes - The Juice Online (the juice; Zych)

Have a little patience.

It is painfully apparent it’s going to take time before the Syracuse Orange comes close to hitting on all cylinders this season.

For the first 15 minutes, the signature fast-paced, risk-taking offense from Coach Dino Babers was on display in front of the sparse Dome crowd. Eric Dungey, the gritty Orange soph QB, led the offense to the game’s first 17 points. Everything was clicking. For starters, Dontae Strickland unleashed a ground game not seen in the first two games. Dungey, who took his share of hits last week against Louisville, converted SU’s first fourth down conversion on the game’s first drive on a fourth-and-one on the Orange’s 45 yard line.

Erv Phillips and Brisly Estime were key contributors in the first quarter, as well. Phillips snared a 24-yard TD grab on his team’s first possession then Estime raced 47 yards for a score after South Florida went three-and-out of its first drive.
After Cole Murphy tacked on a 40-yard FG to make the score 17-0 in favor of the home team, everything was rolling SU’s way.

Then in a flash, or more like a missed fourth down conversion, the game’s momentum clearly shifted to the Bulls, who outscored the Orange 45-3 en route to the 45-20 victory.

While Orange Nation may want immediate results from the spirited Babers, who piloted Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green for two seasons each before this season, it may take another game or two to see consistency for four quarters.

Amba Etta-Tawo keeps up pace despite Syracuse offensive struggles (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

Despite the quick start against USF, the Syracuse Orange scored just 20 total points against the Bulls on Saturday. But the offense still moved the ball quite well -- well enough that several SU players were able to maintain their places near the top of the national statistical leaderboard just the same. One of those players was Amba Etta-Tawo, who we’ll get to below (along with other notes).

Passing
With another 350 yards passing this week, the Orange maintained their 10th-place standing nationally, and now have 1,080 yards through the air in 2016. For those curious, SU had 1,881 passing yards in 12 games last year. Eric Dungey contributed all of this week’s passing yards, bringing his season total to 960 -- the ninth-best number in the country. He threw for just 1,298 yards in 2015 (about seven games of action).

Syracuse has now completed 99 passes, putting them just 65 behind last year’s season total. The 99 completions are the fifth-most in college football, and they’ve attempted the fourth-most passes (149). SU’s completion percentage dipped again (from 67.7 to 66.7), but its overall ranking went up from 24th to 16th. Part of this is because other teams are finally playing quality opponents. The Orange have already played two such teams (Louisville and USF).

As you might have noticed, Dungey threw a high number of passes (48) against USF. That number was the third-highest in Orange history behind this past week’s (51) and Ryan Nassib’s all-time record of 66 vs. Northwestern in 2012. Duney’s 32 completions were also the third-highest total in team history, behind his week one total of 34 and Nassib’s 45 in the aforementioned Northwestern game.

South Florida vs Syracuse recap: 3 things we learned (insidetheloudhouse.com; Esden Jr)

Syracuse let one slip away on Saturday afternoon against South Florida. The Orange know it and more importantly head coach Dino Babers knows it.

While it seemed early on that the Orange had the advantage if the game ended up being a shootout. This was the third straight home game for Syracuse to start the season.

There were a few positives and several negatives from the contest. Syracuse showed potential, while South Florida’s offense proved to be too much.

Lets take a look at some of the keys from the game. Here are three things we learned from Syracuse’s Week 3 matchup against South Florida.

Box Score Takeaways: USF Football vs. Syracuse (thedailystampede.com; Simon)

Despite trailing 17-0 after one quarter, South Florida found their footing and cruised to a 45-20 victory over Syracuse in the sweltering Carrier Dome on Saturday.

In a showdown of Willie Taggart and Dino Babers’ hyperspeed offenses, the Bulls gained the upper hand down the stretch, outscoring the Orange 45-3 in the final three quarters to improve to 3-0 for the first time since 2011. As usual, there’s certain box score stats that tell us the story of this game...

Orange Snaps Plenty, Little to Show For It

The Eric Dungey-led Syracuse offense stayed on the field for the vast majority of the game (37:48 to be exact) and set both a school and ACC record with 105 plays. Despite entering triple digits in total snaps, the Orange only mustered twenty points for their efforts.

After allowing scores on the first three drives to fall behind 17-0, the Bullshark defense virtually shut out the up-tempo Orange attack, allowing only a single 48-yard field goal in the final three quarters.

While Syracuse did pick up 549 total yards and converted 12 of 24 third-down attempts, they were inefficient in actually getting anywhere. They averaged only 5.1 yards per play, with several of their long drives stalling out. Syracuse ran only two plays in the USF red zone, both in their first possession of the game.

Screen-Shot-2016-09-17-at-7.51.49-PM-645x356.png

High School Sports News Articles - MaxPreps - New York lineman checks in at 7-1, 400 lbs (maxpreps.com; Ostrander)

Senior at Lake Shore High School in Angola, N.Y., is bigger than any player in the NFL.

New York senior hoping to drum up college interest this fall at Lake Shore High School.

When John Williams found out his wife Angela was pregnant with a boy, he dreamed that the child would one day grow to be 7-feet tall.

But he had no idea the boy would become the largest high school football prospect in the country – taller and heavier than any player currently on a NFL roster.

Enter Brave Williams, a real life giant.

The 7-foot-1, 400-pound senior football and basketball player from Lake Shore (Angola, N.Y.) wears a size 21 shoe and has always stood out ... literally.
"When my mom was in labor she had to have a cesarean section because my umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck and I was coming out feet first," Brave Williams said. "The doctors tried to pull me out three times before they were going to take more drastic measures. But as soon as my dad touched my mom's forehead, I let go, and the doctors got me out. My dad instantly named me Brave because I needed a strong name."

And strong legs. That's a large frame he's got to lift everyday.

"I've been bigger than everybody my entire life," he said. "In kindergarten, I was already 5-3 and towered over everyone."

He still does. A product of Native American and African-American heritage, Williams commands attention even if he doesn't seek it. He's somewhat larger than life, says his mom. She stands 5-9. His dad is 6-4.

"Whenever we leave the reservation we live on (Cattaraugus in the Seneca Nation of Indians), he's a walking celebrity," his mother said. "People just want to touch him and strangers always stop him for pictures."

Other

-335335829f5dc85e.jpg

A greasy scene at the 2016 Jordan Fall Festival (PS; Nett)

The 70th Jordan Fall Festival in Jordan N.Y. Plenty to do including pumpkin painting, hay rides antique cars, and a small midway of rides.

The chicken barbecue served more than 1,000 meals, with 1,800 chickens cooked. The festival planners save some of the best until last.

On Sunday, teams of youngsters were the first to try climbing the greased pole, followed by the adult competitors. The adult event was a 30-foot climb to the top of a greased pole, where a cash prize was. Each team had 5 members with the stronger person at the base of the pole. Each teammate, one at a time climb on top of each other using loose belts, baggy clothes on which they could grab hold of. Usually the lighter or smaller person would be the last to attempt to get to the top.

VT and FSU have to have larger crowds, VT will bring people and FSU has name value.