Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NVRD-Social-Graphics-03.png

Welcome to National Voter Registration Day!

This year, National Voter Registration Day is September 27, 2016 and hundreds of events are being planned across the nation. This page features a directory of all planned events so that future voters and those interested in volunteering can find local events near them. This page is also for partners to add their events to our National Voter Registration Day directory.

SU News

notre-dame-syrcause-stats.jpg

7 Compelling Stats to Consider: Notre Dame v. Syracuse ’16 (uhnd.com; Sullivan)

Following a tumultuous week that saw Brian Kelly shake up his staff, Notre Dame hits the road for the first of two straight contests away from South Bend. First up is a neutral battle against a 2-2 Syracuse Orangemen squad that’s coming off a win over Connecticut. Below are seven compelling stats that Irish fans need to keep in mind for Saturday’s Notre Dame Syracuse 2016 clash:

3 to 1
That ratio pretty much defines the Syracuse offense during their four games, with the passing attack having racked up three times (1487 to 499) as much yardage as the running game. Given the pass defense woes of the Notre Dame defenders, that ratio likely sends a chill down the spine of every Irish fan.

The biggest threat that Notre Dame will have to contend with when Syracuse goes to the air is Maryland graduate transfer Amba Etta-Tawo. In just four contests, he’s snagged 40 passes for the above amount of yards. He’s coming off a monster game against Connecticut after grabbing 12 balls for 270 yards and two scores.

That number accounts for the amount of rushing yardage the Orangemen defense has allowed in their two losses. In truth, the Syracuse pass defense has allowed over 200 yards in each of the last three games. However, success on the scoreboard against the Orangemen has been tied to establishing a potent running game, which could mean a greater presence for Malik Zaire. If anything, it will help keep the defense off the field.

635850341129513386-1466920257_brian-kelly-u-mad-bro.jpg

Notre Dame vs. Syracuse Prediction, Game Preview (campusinsiders.com; Miller)

Notre Dame vs. Syracuse Game Preview
When: Saturday, October 1 – Noon ET
Where: MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ
TV Broadcast: ESPN

The Fighting Irish (1-3) will travel to East Rutherford, N.J., to play the Orange (2-2, 0-1 ACC) in the first of three neutral-site games they will play this season. ND is coming off of a disastrous home loss to Duke, which allowed the Irish to complete 10 passes of 20 yards or more but forced three Irish turnovers to aid in the win. The Orange, meanwhile, are enjoying their win over UConn, which allowed a late 99-yard drive to Dino Babers’ team in a 31-24 ‘Cuse win.

Syracuse is 3-4 all-time against the Irish, including a 31-15 setback two seasons ago.

What To Know About Notre Dame
Fighting Irish fans could not have envisioned a more disastrous start to the new season. Brian Kelly’s squad is eliminated from College Football Playoff contention, and defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder was dismissed after the loss to the Blue Devils last week. What can fans expect the rest of the way? Making a bowl right now is no guarantee, and the young Irish secondary could use the extra 15 practices that come with a postseason appearance. The Irish jumped out to a 14-0 lead against the Blue Devils but could not keep the foot on the gas pedal, and Kelly said afterward that nearly every position will be up for grabs moving forward. Could we even see quarterback Brandon Wimbush this fall?

What to Know About Syracuse
Amba Etta-Tawo, who came to ‘Cuse as a graduate transfer from Maryland, caught 12 passes for a school-record 270 yards and two touchdowns to help the Orange beat UConn 31-24 last week, giving him four straight games with at least 100 receiving yards. Eric Dungey completed 26 of 40 passes for 407 yards, and it was a performance that may have hinted at an Orange breakthrough. The ‘Cuse even had a goal-line stop in the fourth quarter, which is nothing new for the Huskies (see: Navy).

Advantages
Offense: Even. Right now, one could argue that Syracuse is better in sync offensively. The Irish will be able to move the football, but it’s a unit that still wants to be better balanced.

Defense: Syracuse. It seems crazy to give the Orange the advantage, but VanGorder was fired and Nyles Morgan recorded the team’s first sack of the season in the fourth game. A lack of pass rush plus a green secondary has been a recipe for disaster for the Irish.

Coaching: Even. It’s a rough stretch for Kelly and the Irish right now. How will his team respond to serious adversity?

Once more unto the MetLife breach, dear friends (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Metlife Stadium. It was supposed to be Syracuse Orange football’s home away from home for the next three decades. Instead, there’s a good chance SU won’t play a football game here again for a very long time. What happened?

In the heyday of the neutral site game, Syracuse signed a deal with what was to become MetLife Stadium to play “home” games in East Rutherford, NJ against USC in 2012, Penn State in 2013, Notre Dame in 2014, and Notre Dame in 2016. In 2011, before any of those games were played, Syracuse & MetLife Stadium agreed to a ten-game extension which would have added additional games between 2019 and 2038.

“Our alumni base in the New York metropolitan area is strong,” said SU Athletic Director Daryl Gross in the press release. “Just as our fans have followed the basketball team for many years at Madison Square Garden, we expect the same dominant orange crowd support for New York’s College Team at the New Meadowlands...Playing at the New Meadowlands allows us to showcase the Syracuse brand in the most global way while generating tremendous recruiting opportunities and resources to enhance football.”

Infinite Syracuse Football road trip diary: UConn (TNIAAM; Suxa)

Hoya Suxa is aiming to attend 10 of Syracuse's 12 regular season football games this year. He'll be filing short travelogues from his journeys.

IN A STRUGGLE TO DOMINATE MY PARENTS' LOVE, MY MOM PUNTED AND MY DAD ROOTED FOR BEER

I had Syracuse's date with Connecticut circled on my calendar for a while: Not only did the game provide an opportunity to see the Orange win an actual football game in a year where the schedule featured various forms of loss-wielding plague, it also offered the chance to find out if my parents loved me more than one of my brothers. This was pretty serious business: If I could, without prodding or other psychological means, witness my parents actively supporting Syracuse over Connecticut it would mark a major victory in my personal quest to dominate my parents' affection as the best child they created.

Growing up in Connecticut and going to school at Syracuse has always yielded an odd construct in my social circle. Many of my friends from high school are UConn fans, either through a diploma-issued requirement or being drawn into the circle of Huskies fandom due to geographic proximity. While this tension has dissipated over the years as a result of the Orange finding residence in the ACC and Connecticut punching its time card in the haphazardly organized American, there is a personal strain of hostility that remains: My younger brother is a Connecticut graduate and, therefore, stands in the way of me assuming absolute control over which school my parents should assign their loyalty (and, residually, which son they love way more than the other one).

I stood up for my younger brother at his wedding and generally do not want to give him a noogie before introducing his head to a toilet bowl, but his continued existence -- and his backing of the Huskies -- has thrown a wrench in my life-long quest to turn my parents against him and, in turn, in my unmitigated favor. With my younger brother unable to trek to East Hartford for the game, I felt as if the circumstances were ripe to see my parents' true colors. Would they don orange or blue? Which son's choice in undergraduate education would they deem better and, therefore, serve as a clear signal that their fondness for the non-preferenced child was merely the by-product of social norms mandating the acceptance of a child (even if that child went to a school where you can major in hand puppets)?

Five Takeaways from UConn Football’s Loss to Syracuse (uconnblog.com; Kidwai)

The UConn Huskies fell to 2-2 after a disappointing home loss to Syracuse. Here are our key takeaways from the game.

Things which cause losing

Through four games we can see easily with a couple of different bounces how the team could be 0-4 or 4-0. Unfortunately, a few trends have persisted which are keeping the Huskies down right now and need to be fixed as soon as possible.

First is the defensive touchdowns, as in three out of four games seeing the Huskies give one up. It’s hard to criticize this one too much, since there is a degree of randomness to turnovers, tipped balls, how a fumble bounces, but at the same time there are playcalling and execution measures which can lower the chances of this happening.

The next looks at the Husky defense, and the number of big plays allowed once again. Syracuse opened the game with two effortless touchdown drives by taking large chunks of yardage at a time. A key third down late in the game was converted with a 59-yard completion in what would become a 99-yard touchdown drive to put the game out of reach. Preventing the big play is a staple of Diaco’s defensive strategy and in three games so far the defense has failed to do it.

Lastly, the offense has yet to score a point in the first quar

Other

4c3aa996cacbbd4fffff8963ffffe907.jpg

Salmon River update: 'Guys are catching salmon,' it's better than last year (photo gallery; PS; Figura)

Fishing guides and local bait shops are in agreement about the current state of the fall salmon spawning run on the Salmon River.

Things are good right now and it's going to get better, they said -- a welcome change from last year, which many agree was subpar.

"Anglers are happy," said Charlie Blaas who works at the Douglaston Salmon Run at the lower end of the river. "We're clearly seeing more fish that we've seen in the past few summers. Most anglers are bringing a number of fish to hand, and I've seen a lot of fish leaving our parking lot."

Blaas said that the Douglaston Run, which only sells 250 day passes to anglers each day, sold out on Saturday, Sunday and today. In fact, thanks to online registrations, with the exception of this Thursday, no other passes are available until Sunday, he said.

See the Douglaston Salmon Run daily fishing report atdouglastonsalmonrun.com.

Up the river, Dale Wheeler, at Pineville Sporting Supply, said there was "some pretty decent action" Saturday at the Trestle Pool, but things slowed on Sunday. Today, he added, he's heard reports of some steelhead being caught in the downtown area and at the stretch "near the ballpark."

Last edited: