Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
wolf-moon-300x298.jpg

Welcome to Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night!

With Halloween only five days away, it’s only fitting that October 26 is Worldwide Howl at the Moon Night! We’re sure at one point in your life you’ve wanted to let out a giant howl at that celestial orb in the sky, so tonight is the night to release your inner wolf.

Wolves have been connected with howling at the moon for centuries. Images of wolves and moons have been traced back to the Stone Age, while Roman and Greek goddesses of the moon were also known for keeping dogs and wolves in their company. There were even some Native American cultures that believed wolves summoned the moon to rise every night.

SU News

subc_jessicaSheldon-7-1-1.jpg

Syracuse football roundtable: Steve Ishmael, the bye week and Clemson
(DO; Staff)

Syracuse (4-4, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) is coming off back-to-back wins over No. 25 Virginia Tech and Boston College. The Orange takes its bye week before heading to No. 3 Clemson on Nov. 5.

Beat writers Tomer Langer, Chris Libonati and Jon Mettus discuss Steve Ishmael, the bye week and the looming matchup against one of the nation’s top teams.

1. Is Steve Ishmael’s resurgence for real and why?

Tomer Langer: Calling it a “resurgence” isn’t totally fair to Ishmael. It’s not like his talent level took a major nosedive. It just so happened that for the first half of the season, Amba Etta-Tawo was putting up ridiculous numbers across from him and the SU offense just featured quick half-field reads at times to feed him the ball. Defenses have started limiting what Etta-Tawo could do, especially early (even against BC, 93 of his 144 yards came after halftime). With Eric Dungey spreading the ball out more, I think we’re seeing that Ishmael is just as talented and dependable as everyone thought he’d be.

Chris Libonati: Yeah, I think it is. His last two games were solid. They accounted for nearly 40 percent of his receiving yards this season, but his resurgence really started against Notre Dame when Ishmael had five catches for 67 yards. Since then, he’s had five or more catches and more than 50 yards in each game. In those games, he’s averaging six catches and 82 yards. If he can keep pace, Ishmael can get to nearly 800 yards, a solid total considering he had just 171 yards in the first four games. He’s also a skilled wide receiver who just needs to get looks, which should happen with teams rolling coverage to Amba Etta-Tawo.

21383557-mmmain.jpg

Handicapping Syracuse football bowl chances with 4 games remaining (PS; Mink)

With four games left in the regular season, Syracuse football (4-4, 2-2 ACC) needs two more victories to become bowl eligible.

The team is off this week before traveling to Clemson, hosting North Carolina State and Florida State and wrapping up the season at Pittsburgh two days after Thanksgiving.

Most people would say the best chance at getting to six wins rests with defeating North Carolina State and Pittsburgh.

Let's handicap the chances the Orange exceeds preseason expectations and becomes bowl eligible.

At Clemson (Nov. 5)
The Tigers are ranked No. 3 heading into this weekend's matchup at No. 12 Florida State.

Clemson has one of the best quarterbacks in the nation in Deshaun Watson and is loaded with talent at every position.

Bill Connelly: 5 percent

syracuse.com: 5 percent

North Carolina State (Nov. 12)
This is a team that leans on running back Matt Dayes and H-back Jaylen Samuels, but Boise State graduate transfer quarterback Ryan Finley has been solid working under his former offensive coordinator, Eliah Drinkwitz.

The Wolfpack took Clemson to overtime on the road, but Syracuse will be home for the first time since its upset against then-No. 17 Virginia Tech.

upload_2016-10-26_6-42-33.png

Suxa's massive football road trip continues. (TNIAAM; Suxa)

Syracuse-Boston College was a vision quest.

Instead of achieving some form of enlightenment or knowledge, however, Orange-Eagles yielded all the self-torture associated with journeying into the unknown but failed to return the benefit of a renewed spirit: Drenched socks that were attempting to waterboard my toes; two teams resting at the bottom of the middle third of the country working together to assemble a dynamic agenda of "Which team can eat a porcupine last?"; cold coffee and a concessions list torn directly from an eighth grade dance; a half-empty building in the middle of a campus that actively attempted to bury all signs of football atmosphere deep within the earth where only the sins of former Boston politicians could find it; an impressively apathetic student section that long gave up on esprit de corps and instead opted for the much easier eth thiseth; and the fervent requirement -- not a desire but a hard rule that would not be ignored through 600 minutes of live Syracuse football -- to sit through all of this until one team finally expired because all things must eventually die.

This was not, of all the things I have witnessed in my laughably sideways existence, a time of important internal development. This was, contrastingly, trying to do amateur self-surgery on my eye with a screwdriver. Sitting in the rain, saturated, I wanted everything in reality to happen in fast-forward until I was pantsless, dry, and warm.

dungeystatjpg-dc40b9369b794b0f.jpg

Syracuse football stat tracker: Where do the Orange rank in the bye week? (PS; photo gallery; Axe)

Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey's recordsetting season continues coming off a game where he was named the ACC offensive back of the week after throwing for a careerhigh 434 yards and three touchdowns on 32of38 passes against Boston College. Dungey's 2,631 yards is second in the nation and leads the ACC. Dungey's rate of 28 completions per game is fifth in the nation.

Other

Rock band The 1975 to perform at Carrier Dome (PS; Tulloch)

English rock band The 1975 will headline the 2016 Rock the Dome concert on Nov. 4 at Syracuse University's Carrier Dome.

The eyeliner-smeared indie band formed south of Manchester in 2002 and built a fanbase enamored with its glam-rock style and confessional lyrics. A recent review of The 1975's show in Spokane described the band's young fans as "reminiscent of millennial Beatlemania."

The band's latest album, "l like it when you sleep, for you are so beautiful yet so unaware of it" dropped last February and ascended to the top of the U.S. Billboard 200. Notable singles include "Love Me," "Somebody Else" and "The Sound."

Opening the concert are Oh Wonder, a London-based alt-pop duo, and Shake, a New Jersey rapper from the hip-hop collective 070.

Oh Wonder's debut album, ranging from piano-led ballads to toe-tapping electronica, doesn't stray far from its main themes of love and relationships.

Those Suxa comments read like something Bud would write while tripping out on a combination of acid and anabolic steroids (with maybe a little bit of amphetamines to provide a little extra kick).

OX - I'm fairly certain that HCDB is paid $2.4 million putting him in the middle of the ACC. To keep him after 3 years (fairly certain he is staying for 3 but cannot say why), we will need to pay him $4 million. SU should be making that or more on increased ticket sales - simple math 10,000 extra tickets sold at $25 per seat x 6 games = $1.5 million - essentially Babers can earn his own $1.5 million increase in ticket sales at no extra cost to SU.

OX - I'm fairly certain that HCDB is paid $2.4 million putting him in the middle of the ACC. To keep him after 3 years (fairly certain he is staying for 3 but cannot say why), we will need to pay him $4 million. SU should be making that or more on increased ticket sales - simple math 10,000 extra tickets sold at $25 per seat x 6 games = $1.5 million - essentially Babers can earn his own $1.5 million increase in ticket sales at no extra cost to SU.
I hope you're right about Dino and the $2.4 million. I haven't seen this anywhere. What is the source for your information? :confused:

I hope you're right about Dino and the $2.4 million. I haven't seen this anywhere. What is the source for your information? :confused:

Actually XO corrected me it's $2.5 million. See the FBS salary thread.