Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
306774_4126955_b.jpg

Welcome to Hug a Bear Day!

Today is Hug a Bear Day! While we do not recommend venturing into the wild to hug a live bear, this is the perfect day to give a big hug to your favorite teddy bear!

Did you know that the ancient Egyptians are credited with making the first plush toys? Although no remains of stuffed toys have been discovered in Egypt, paintings on the tombs suggest they did have animal toys. Modern stuffed animals were first introduced in the 1830’s, but they were homemade with cloth and straw. In 1880, Germany began manufacturing stuffed animals that closer resembled the cute toys we still purchase today. Stuffed animals were not popular in the US until 1906, when President Theodore Roosevelt inspired the production of the first “Teddy Bear”.

Celebrate Hug a Bear Day by snuggling up with your favorite Teddy Bear or purchase a new cuddly bear! You can even give out extra big bear hugs to your friends and family. Happy Hug a Bear Day!

SU News

dungeycelmson_JessicaSheldon_PE.jpg

Libonati: For one beat writer, watching Eric Dungey play has become cringe-worthy (DO; Libonati)

Eric Dungey plunging through a hole at the line of scrimmage Saturday made me ask myself, Why is he running there? Running close to the tackle box almost guaranteed Dungey would get hit, and the hole materialized between tight end Cameron MacPherson and left tackle Cody Conway.

That was just before Clemson linebacker Dorian O’Daniel lowered the crown of his helmet to meet Dungey’s shoulder and subsequently his helmet. It’s not particularly anyone’s fault: The way a play materializes can’t be anticipated ahead of time. Dungey lay on the ground after the hit, hardly moving other than to bring his hands to his helmet and try to lift his head. He looked woozy as two trainers propped him up on his walk to the sideline and then to the locker room.

Escaping talk about helmet-to-helmet hits has become harder. Two weeks ago, Miami Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry launched at Buffalo Bills safety Aaron Williams, knocking him out for the season. The Bills placed Williams on injured reserve and the safety’s father said he’d have to consider his future in football, per the Associated Press. Last week, Bills receiver Brandon Tate left after this hit. Saturday, when O’Daniel decked Dungey, I recoiled. For the fourth time in Dungey’s SU career, an opponent blasted him with a high hit.

boulware.png

Stock up/stock down: A look back at Syracuse football's 54-0 loss to Clemson (DO; Mettus)

Syracuse left Death Valley bruised and battered. The Orange (4-5, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) came away with a 54-0 loss at the hands of the No. 3 Tigers (9-0, 6-0) and may have lost starting quarterback Eric Dungey beyond just Saturday with an apparent head injury after he was hit in the upper body area in the first quarter of the game.

Here’s a look at where some of SU’s players and units are trending after the game.

Stock up

Moe Neal, running back

The freshman running back led all rushers in the game with 64 yards on seven carries. His best run and Syracuse’s best offensive play of the game came when he broke through the line, cut left, then back right and got in a foot race with Clemson’s defenders. They tracked him down after 49 yards, but it set up SU’s only scoring chance of the game.

Neal earned more carries with Dungey out and as the twos and threes played more because of the blowout, giving him chances to display his shiftiness. After the game, head coach Dino Babers said Neal is playing more like a sophomore and his physical size is what’s holding the 5-foot-11, 169-pounder back. His day was cut short by an apparent knee injury that required ice, but he said after the game that he is fine.

Swinney celebrates "fun" aftermath of win over Syracuse - Clemson Football News - TigerNet
(tigernet.com; Hood)

Fun was the name of the game Sunday.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media during his Sunday teleconference that watching the game tape of Saturday’s 540 win over Syracuse was fun, and that the fun was in the winning. The Tigers dispatched the Orange to improve to 90 overall and will host Pitt this weekend at 3:30 p.m.

“Obviously, a great performance by our team and a really fun tape to study and grade. I'm just very proud of our staff and the team for getting themselves ready to go,” Swinney said. “It's definitely fun to win, but it's pretty special when you can play a clean game like that and really dominate a shutout, 50plus points, no turnovers, only three penalties, a score on defense, no sacks, only three penalties. It was just a really dominant performance.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Shutouts-norm-Venables-15314 (tigernet.com; Hood)

Shutouts are becoming the norm under Brent Venables.

Clemson recorded its second shutout of the season and the fifth since Brent Venables became defensive coordinator in 2012 Saturday in its 540 rout of Syracuse. Three interceptions led the way as Clemson limited the Orange to just 277 total yards and 68 plays.

Venables was happy with the shutout.

“That was good. That's a tough scheme and a tough team to do it against. Everyone says in this day and age that this is hard and it's not easy to do. It really is hard and when you get one you really want to reward your guys and feel good about it. That was a great finish by all the guys that got a chance to get in there and play.

"I think our guys played well and I think we got them off schedule on early downs and that's typically needed to slow down uptempo offenses,” Venables said after the game. “I feel like our guys had a little bit to do with it and met the challenge today. They were really physical and getting in to coverage. Guys did a great job of really communicating and just executing and understanding the plan. They played with great effort and we played a ton of guys. Obviously them losing their quarterback was not good for them, he's a terrific player, but I really thought our guys kept them off schedule. You saw tempo at times was definitely a problem but by and large our guys really settled in and again just executed well."

Clemson’s first touchdown was set up by an interception from Ryan Carter.

"That was a big, did a nice job on the pitch play out on the perimeter and the pick play they're play faking with the RPOs and trying to draw them in and hit the slant route in behind him,” Venables said. “He looked like he baited him in to there and what a great play. Really kind of got us going there."

The most talked about play of the day was linebacker Ben Boulware’s suplex tackle of a Syracuse receiver that drew a personal foul penalty.

"I don't know. I don't know. I don't really know what the rulebook says,” Venables said. “I know the whistle hadn't been blown. I think it's a discretionary call, but I don't know."

Upon further review: Clemson-Syracuse (independentmail.com; Senkiw)

A different Tiger team
Before Syracuse, Clemson’s previous home game was decided by a missed field goal at the end of regulation, a Tiger TD pass in overtime and a Marcus Edmond interception.

Saturday’s game had none of that drama. As soon as the defense took the field for the first drive of the game, there was an energy and focus that clearly wasn’t there against N.C. State. Ben Boulware and Christian Wilkins were inciting the crowd before the first snap. The Tigers were celebrating every early-game tackle like it was their last. The offense was sharp from the get-go.

Maybe the 3:30 p.m. start and Military Appreciation Day helped. Maybe it’s being No. 2 in the College Football Playoff ranking and seeing on paper how there’s little margin for error. Or maybe barely escaping defeat last time in Death Valley charged up this team and got the players' attention. Whatever it was, that’s the way Clemson should act at every home game.

Clemson safe at No. 2
Even though Michigan routed Maryland, Clemson didn’t do anything against Syracuse to warrant any sort of reshuffling when it comes to the Tigers. A blowout win gave them some style points, and after having three of their previous four games decided by a touchdown or less, there was no concern about the Tigers being overrated after throttling Syracuse. At the same time, the Orange, despite owning a win over Virginia Tech, aren’t a great team. Clemson won’t benefit too much from that victory, and Alabama’s 10-0 win at LSU will ensure status quo at the top.

The Tigers have to handle business against Pitt, Wake Forest and South Carolina before heading to the ACC title game in Orlando, but their best chance to move up because of an Alabama loss won't come until the Tide face Auburn in the regular-season finale.

Other

21430990-mmmain.jpg

DiBella's sub shop in DeWitt will open Wednesday, not Monday (PS)

DiBella's Old Fashioned Submarines is set to open its first CNY location in DeWitt this Wednesday.

A story in today's Post-Standard incorrectly said the store will open this Monday.

The 3,600-square-foot sub shop is in a newly constructed building at 5805 Bridge St. in the town of DeWitt. It will open at 10 a.m. Wednesday. The building is across the street from the Home Depot and next to the Community Bank.

The Rochester-based sub chain now has 44 stores in six states.

Ugh.

Very concerned about Eric - really hope he's okay and can play again - safely.

From what I understand, the Dungey run was not called from the sideline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom