Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
passthru_imagecredit_AO7U8139.jpg

Welcome to Syracuse Football Start of Spring Practice!

Orange football fans are invited to take an up-close look at this year's team during the 2017 Syracuse Football Spring Showcase on Saturday, April 22. Start time is 10 a.m. at the Carrier Dome. Admission and parking are free.

The event, which marks the culmination of the Orange's spring practice season, will feature a scrimmage, youth clinic and autograph session. Prior to the showcase, second-year head coach Dino Babers will hold 14 practices over a span of five weeks beginning on March 21.

SU News

football15rotator.0.jpg

March Madness Is About To Start For The Syracuse Football Squad (itld.com; Edsen Sr)

March Madness is a beautiful time of year in sports. People get their brackets out, warmer weather, plus hope and intrigue for the Syracuse football team.

Time to get excited!

Ah finally March has arrived! Every year about this time people look forward to spring blooming, warmer weather and March Madness.

There is another rarely heard from group the ‘Silent Majority’. Settle down, settle down I did not mean to get your Hillary Clinton panties in a bunch, or maybe I did, I am not talking about the group that set America on the path to Greatness again (easy my left wing friends calm down and get a drink with the cast from La La Land to console yourself).

I am talking about the die-hard Football fans out there that are looking forward to the Syracuse spring football game.

Syracuse spring football practice starts on March 21st! The Orange spring campaign will consist
of 14 practices culminating with the spring game scheduled for April 22th at 10 AM in the Carrier Dome.

If you have never been I highly recommend it as there is reasons for all to attend that I will outline.

Former Syracuse kicker Josh Altman makes 45-yard field goal in a suit (nbcsports.com; Patrick)

Former Syracuse kicker and current reality television personality Josh Altman visits Beverly Hills High School to prove to Dan Patrick that he can make a 45-yard field goal.

Tom Kaufman leaving Syracuse to be UTC defensive coordinator (timesfreepress.com; Henley)

The first name to pop into Tom Arth's mind when he found out he needed to hire a new defensive coordinator was former teammate Tom Kaufman.

The new University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football coach went through the process of trying to find the right candidate — interviews, meetings, phone calls — but ultimately he followed his first instinct.

Kaufman was introduced as UTC's defensive coordinator Tuesday afternoon. He replaces Brandon Staley, who recently joined the NFL's Chicago Bears as outside linebackers coach.

Kaufman has 14 seasons in the college football ranks, most recently serving as the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach at Syracuse under Dino Babers. He spent five seasons at the Football Bowl Subdivision level, and he's also familiar with the Football Championship Subdivision level, having spent two seasons at Eastern Illinois — both of which ended in the playoffs.

He and Arth played together at John Carroll University, where Arth and Staley coached together until Arth got the UTC job.

"It's a real exciting day for me personally, but also for our football program," Arth said. "When it came down to it, we interviewed a lot of people, talked to a lot of great candidates — very smart, good football coaches.

"To me the most important thing was what makes the man the man? I played alongside him; I know what's inside of him; know what he's about. His competitiveness, toughness, the type of person he is, the example he's going to be for the players in our program. To me that's the most important part of the decision. He has incredible expertise in football, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

2017 Syracuse football spring showcase: TV info, live stream, game time (grinironnow.com)

Syracuse will hold its 2017 Syracuse football spring showcase at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, New York.

The annual intrasquad scrimmage will be broken up into two teams and be held on Saturday, April 22. Kickoff is scheduled for 10 a.m. ET on a television broadcast not yet announced.

Admission and parking are free to the public.

RELATED: 2017 ACC spring football practice, game schedule

For Syracuse, it will be its second spring game under coach Dino Babers. Last year, it drew 4,037 fans.

Syracuse did not keep track of the final score in the 2016 Syracuse football spring showcase, though the game did feature 13 total touchdowns.

Syracuse announced the 2017 Syracuse football spring showcase on Feb. 10. The program also will hold a youth clinic and autograph session on the day of the game.

Syracuse is coming off a season in which it went 4-8.

Other

2b6c8265b0107b59f694c2d266c9305d.jpg

Exactly 24 years after Blizzard of '93, CNY prepares for 10 to 15 inches of snow (PS; O'Toole)

Central New Yorkers are preparing for a storm that could drop up to 15 inches of snow on the region over the next three days.

But there's little chance this snowfall will break any records.

That's because exactly 24 years ago -- on March 13 and 14, 1993 -- the biggest blizzard on record began blasting Syracuse with more than 3 1/2 feet of snow.

The Blizzard of '93 still holds the record for the most snow:

• On March 13, 1993, a record-setting 22.1 inches of snow fell in Syracuse, the most ever for that date, according to National Weather Service records.
  • Then, on March 14, 1993, another 19.9 inches of snow fell in Syracuse -- once again, the most snow on that date since the weather service began recording weather data in 1902.
The 1993 blizzard started early on March 13 and dumped 42.4 inches of snow on the region over the next three days. That was one-tenth of an inch more than the legendary Blizzard of 1966, according to news reports.

You my friend are an early riser

sutomcat I saw the headline on both forums about the start of Spring practice and thought I had really sprung forward and lost a week.

I was a freshman for the blizzard of '93. It fell during spring break and nobody could get back to campus. They deflated the dome, and all classes were cancelled for what I was told was the first time in the school's history. If memory serves me, the following year had the most snowfall for the season on record. Fun times up on the hill.

i kinda like Altman. My guilty pleasure is million dollar listing Los Angeles.