Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
James-Madison.jpg

Welcome to Freedom of Information Day!

Freedom of Information Day is celebrated annually on the birthday of President James Madison. President Madison, who is known as the Father of the Constitution, was also a lifelong advocate for openness and transparency of government. On March 16 we thank him for being a champion of public access to government information. Many of the resources you use at the Library each day are available because of his advocacy at the founding of our nation.

SU News

CfEg20OWAAEcX5B.jpg

Florida RB Lesane Talks About UCLA Offer (sc0ut.com; Bender)

Florida-based tailback Lentivone Lesane talked about his multiple Pac-12 offers after receiving word from the UCLA Bruins on Tuesday...

It was over a month ago when UCLA invaded South Florida to sign 2017 offensive guard, Zack Sweeney, and now the Pac-12 program is hoping to have similar success with Lentivone Lesane, an under-recruited tailback that measures in at an intriguing 6-foot-1, 186 pounds.

Lesane, a 2018 prospect that holds three offers after receiving word from the Bruins on Tuesday, is also a standout in track and field that participates in the 100-meter, 200-meter, and occasionally the 400-meter.

"The UCLA football team has a rich history of tradition and success," Lesane said. "From the only national championship to their five Rose Bowl wins and 17 conference titles, they have one of the greatest running backs as a coach in DeShaun Foster.

"He went to the NFL and played for the (Carolina) Panthers. I also heard their campus is awesome."

A product of Hialeah Gardens (Fla.) Mater Academy, Lesane says he was in the midst of preparing for a track meet when receiving the pleasant news from coach Jim Mora and the Bruins.

"I talked with DeShaun Foster," Lesane said. "He told me to keep working hard, stay focused, and keep running track because that will help me a lot. He said he will love to see me in April."

Lesane, who also has offers on the table from Utah and Syracuse, is well on his way to manufacturing a tight-knit relationship with coach Kyle Whittingham and the Utes coaching staff.

Analysis Nolan Edmonds commits to Minnesota Gophers (247sportscom; Willfong)

Minnesota landed a top-of-the-board running back recruit on Wednesday evening in Nolan Edmonds, as the Peach State continues to be good to the Gophers backfield.

Edmonds was a coveted target for P.J. Fleck and company and chose to play for Minnesota over Boston College, Cal, Illinois and Syracuse among others.

247Sports is higher on the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Edmonds than our peers, ranking the Alpharetta (Ga.) High standout as the No. 21 running back in the country while the industry-generated 247Sports Composite slots him at No. 35.

The Gophers are getting an every-down back in Edmonds, a punishing runner that is good for plenty of yards after contact and a player with soft hands who is dangerous in the screen game.

Edmonds checks every box.

Has good vision, finds his top end quickly, has a physical style of play and can catch the football.

With Edmonds in the fold, Minnesota’s class rises to No. 14 in the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings.

Ranking the Top 16 College Football Running Backs of All Time (BR; Walsh)

Who are the best running backs in college football history?

It’s not an easy question to answer. Different eras mean uneven standards by which to judge players, and what might have statistically constituted an All-American season years ago might not even draw all-conference attention nowadays.

So in order to select to the top 16 running backs of all-time there are a number of different variables to be considered, but the overriding factor should be how tough the player was to stop. Some went around defenders, others went through them and a handful could do both exceptionally well.

Consequently, in order to make this list one had to pretty much had to have won a Heisman Trophy, or done something so impressive that he was impossible to ignore. That’s why players like Cedric Benson, Doc Blanchard, Glenn Davis, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, Eddie George, Derrick Henry, Mike Rozier, Billy Sims and LaDainian Tomlinson are all very, very close, but didn’t make the cut.

xHaroldLandry_2016_325.jpg.pagespeed.ic.YCLObFh6V4.jpg

Boston College Eagles 2017 Spring Football Preview (athlonsports.com; Kurkjian)

Keep the momentum going.

That will be the goal for Boston College as it opens spring practice on March 15. The Eagles won their final three games of the 2016 season to finish 7-6 after head coach Steve Addazio appeared to be on the hottest of seats following blowout losses to Louisville and Florida State. But things have cooled in that regard since then, and now the Eagles look primed to have at least another bowl-worthy squad, which would be Addazio's fourth in five seasons.

But not all is entirely stable in Chestnut Hill. Athletic director Brad Bates resigned last month and the new man in charge will keep a close eye on the progress of the Eagles and how they're trending in the ACC. So even though Addazio's job is safe for now, the hot seat is never that far away. However, compared to last season where the Eagles were coming off an 0-8 ACC record, they have a little bit of success to build off this time around.

Top 5 Storylines to Watch in Boston College's Spring Practice

1. Anthony Brown's Development
If there's any common thread among Addazio's offenses at The Heights, it is an inability to find consistent production out of the passing game. However, Brown was recruited by current offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler to eventually take the reins and it appears the redshirt freshman will do so this fall.

Other

Nor'easter, lake effect survival: Get an inflatable unicorn, 'get out there' (video) (PS; Collins)

Lounging on an inflatable unicorn, Jamison Carr took in the gusting snowdrifts covering the hills of Burnet Park.

"We finally got snow," Carr said. "With this winter it's been like summer one week and then winter the next day, so we really got to take it when we can."

Carr, who works as a delivery man, had the "luck of the draw" and was off work on during Winter Storm Stella.

Carr and his friend James Fitzsimmons decided to brave the still-falling flakes to bring a snowboard and a brightly colored inflatable unicorn to Burnet Park.

"When I bought this," Carr said, gesturing to the unicorn. "I didn't think I'd ever get the chance to use it. But today's the day."

Another group of boarders were already at Burnet Park when Carr and Fitzsimmons arrived but doing more shoveling than boarding. The knee-deep snow was too high for sledding or snowboarding, so the young men took turns shoveling trails down the side of the hill that overlooks the West Side of Syracuse.

"I was born and raised here," said Fitzsimmons, "So I know how to deal with the snow. It's the way it is. It's beautiful."

Looking around at the blowing snow, Carr nodded.

"Winter's just a big part of being in Syracuse really," he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom