Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
c1bd4c0ec1b2d24294354716d2346606.jpg

Welcome to Bell Bottoms Day!

Bell-bottoms, pants with legs that become wider below the knee, were an extremely popular fashion during the 1960s and 1970s. The belled or flared legs on bell-bottom pants were originally a functional design, worn by those who worked on boats since the seventeenth century.

If a sailor is swept overboard, bell bottoms can be easily slipped off in the water, and by filling the legs with air, they can even act as a flotation device in an emergency. Also, while wading through water, bell bottoms can be rolled up on the legs to stay dry.

SU News

Legendary Syracuse Pride Drill

Watch: Syracuse football's 'pride' drill (photos/video) (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football has hit the midpoint of spring ball, returning to the practice field Tuesday morning dressed in full pads.

Per usual, reporters got to observe the opening 10 minutes of practice.

Here are some sights and sounds from practice No. 7, including clips of the Orange's "pride" drill, in which an offensive and defensive player get physical in an one-on-one matchup.

Hicks_JessicaSheldon_SP.jpg

Will Hicks is still influencing Syracuse athletes even after his role has changed (DO; Schafer)

Will Hicks stood on the 10-yard line of the Manley Fieldhouse turf in his blue Syracuse jumpsuit with five SU tennis players in a line beside him. The athletes waited for Hicks to launch a tennis ball down the field. They’d run down as soon as the ball left Hicks’ hand, needing to catch it before it bounced twice on the turf.

“Like a dog in the park,” Hicks boomed as Gabriela Knutson chased one down.

“You get a treat if you bring this one back,” the assistant athletics director for athletic performance yelled as Anna Shkudun caught it on the fly.

The players breathed heavy as they got back in line to continue the drill. But their coach, who already downed two cups of coffee and two bottles of Mountain Dew upon his arrival five hours earlier, showed no signs of fatigue.

That’s how “the old professor,” as Hicks called himself, has been influencing his athletes for 34 years. He worked with SU football players from 2000 to 2016, when football coach Dino Babers fired former coach Scott Shafer’s staff, including Hicks, which is common as new coaches implement their system. Babers runs a high-pace, no-huddle offense that requires a specific strength and conditioning program.

“Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve always brought my strength and conditioning coach with me.” Babers said. “What we do is unique. It hasn’t been seen before. The way they condition the way they handle the strength department is very different than what other people do. It’s important to keep that continuity as we move forward.”

Now, Hicks works with Olympic sports but a change in job description hasn’t prevented him from bringing the same fire.

“Truthfully,” Hicks said, “I’m having a blast.”

Syracuse Football: Dino Babers Hoping Versatility Will Help Soften Potential Injuries (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers met with the media following spring football practice. What could versatility provide this season?

The Syracuse football team continues to work on their craft hoping they can turn the corner next season and get back to a bowl game. Head coach Dino Babers has made it clear that those are the expectations heading into this upcoming season.

But to do that, they’ll need to correct some of the things that resulted in them ending up 4-8. While injuries can be a fickle thing, we learned today that Babers is doing everything he can to be prepared for the inevitable.

“We’re trying to build depth. We had a lot of injuries last year and obviously I think our schedule this year is even tougher than last year. So we’re trying to make sure we have enough flexibility at key positions, so we don’t have that stall we had at the end of the season.”

Other

22418055-mmmain.jpg

Group that ran NYS Fair Milk Bar quits after 60 years, says state yanked funding (PS; Coin)

The nonprofit group that ran the Milk Bar at the New York State Fair is pulling out after 60 years, saying the state has yanked all subsidies and refuses to let the group raise the price of milk above 25 cents.

NYS Dairy Exhibits has been losing money for years running the Dairy Products Building during the fair, and last year announced it would raise the price of a cup of milk for the first time since 1983. A day after Syracuse.com broke that news, Gov. Andrew Cuomo rushed in to announce the state would give the dairy group $90,000 to keep the price at 25 cents.

But the state came through with only about half of that money, group leaders said, by moving the group's employees onto the state payroll. And now the state has said it will no longer reimburse any of the group's expenses -- and won't let it raise the price of milk, according to a letter sent this week from President Gary Raiti to dairy exhibits members.

"We would not have sufficient revenue to cover the necessary operating expenses to pay all our bills," Raiti wrote. "We are no longer going to associate our group with the State or Fair. We are immediately discontinuing any planning for participation in the 2017 Fair."

The letter says the group might
one day work again at the state fair -- if Cuomo is no longer governor.

Hicks does seem like a great guy. I don't know him as well as some older posters here I'm sure.

how does the company selling the milk lose money at that price point? 25 cents a 5oz cup roughly..

so say 25 cups in a gallon. 25x25=$6.25. A gallon of milk at a store is $2-4.00. How much is the store losing with milk as a loss leader..

if anything producing it in bulk would reduce the cost, then add shipping and expenses, cups, people.

how does the company selling the milk lose money at that price point? 25 cents a 5oz cup roughly..

so say 25 cups in a gallon. 25x25=$6.25. A gallon of milk at a store is $2-4.00. How much is the store losing with milk as a loss leader..

if anything producing it in bulk would reduce the cost, then add shipping and expenses, cups, people.
Stall rental at the Fair is expensive. It may also be that they aren't losing money, but the profit is not enough.
I bet a friend of Andy gets the stall, and milk is $.50.

but they are a not for profit, you would almost think they would do some deal with all the people who bring the cows in to donate a few hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom