Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
0f177fc3073244f31a418938e0f330bd.jpg

Welcome to World Redhead Day!
  • The highest concentration of redheads is in Scotland (13%) followed by Ireland (10%). Worldwide, only 2% of people have red hair.
  • People with red hair are likely more sensitive to pain. This is because the gene mutation (MC1R) that causes red hair is on the same gene linked to pain receptors. It also means redheads usually need more anesthesia for dental and medical procedures.
  • Having red hair isn't the only thing that makes some redheads unique. They are also more likely to be left handed. Both characteristics come from recessive genes, which like to come in pairs.
  • Redheads probably won't go grey. That's because the pigment just fades over time. So they will probably go blonde and even white, but not grey.
  • Rumor says Hitler banned marriage between redheads. Apparently he thought it would lead to "deviant offspring."
  • Redheads most commonly have brown eyes. The least common eye color: blue.
  • Bees have been proven to be more attracted to redheads.
  • Being a redheaded man may have health benefits. A study published by the British Journal of Cancer suggested that men with red hair are 54% less likely to develop prostate cancer than their brown and blonde-haired counterparts.
  • Redheads actually have less hair than most other people. On average they only have 90,000 strands of hair while blonds, for example, have 140,000. However, red hair is typically thicker so it still looks just as full.

SU News

Jawhar-Jordan-Hamilton-750x420.jpg

Syracuse’s 2018 recruiting class could be historic, but don’t let the numbers fool you – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Dickinson)

Syracuse football added an eighth member to its 2018 recruiting class when running back Jawhar Johnson Jr. committed to the Orange last night. Any player with a 4.48 40-time in the Dino Babers offense has huge upside potential, but his commitment is just part of a great start to the 2018 recruiting cycle for Dino Babers. SU’s class as a whole is on track to be the best in recent memory. Is this the start of the turnaround Babers had us close our eyes to imagine when he arrived at SU?

For some reference, Syracuse’s 2017 class (which included Tommy DeVito and was also thought to be one of the better classes in recent years) ended at No. 54 in the country, good for 11th-best in the ACC, according to 247Sports. The only schools Syracuse beat were Virginia, Wake Forest, and Boston College. The 2016 class, which was a Frankenstein’s monster of Babers and Scott Shafer recruits, ended at No. 64 nationally and No. 13 in the conference (ahead of only BC). This year has been different. With the addition of Johnson, Syracuse’s 2018 class is No. 30 in the country and sixth among ACC schools. That’s above North Carolina, Louisville, and Pitt among others.

To be fair, those numbers are a little misleading. Part of Syracuse’s high rankings early are due to the Orange’s fast start, not necessarily its good start. Syracuse already has eight players signed on to join the Orange in the fall of 2018. Louisville only has five, North Carolina four and Pittsburgh just two. If you measured by average recruit rating, the Orange ranks at No. 9 in the ACC, still ahead of Louisville but far behind North Carolina and its three four-star commits. In fact, the average recruit in this year’s class is only marginally better than what SU pulled in 2017.

Recruiting Roundup: Decision day for Hugh Davis, Syracuse re-offers Jo-El Shaw - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Here’s wishing a speedy recovery for former Syracuse star Brisly Estime. On to today’s recruiting links…

It’s decision day for Hugh Davis, a 2018 linebacker out of Cathedral (Ind.), who will be deciding between Boston College, Cincinnati and Syracuse. He is rated three stars by 247 Sports, who has him leaning with the Eagles in their crystal ball.

The Orange also reached back in time to re-offer bruising running back Jo-El Shaw. Shaw had originally committed to SU as part of Dino Babers’ first class, but didn’t qualify academically. He tweeted on Thursday that the Orange was still interested.

Meanwhile, Syracuse also looked down the road to the 2020 class, extending an offer to class of 2020 running back Teriyon Cooper. He reported the offer via Twitter, and the St. Louis product also holds an early offer from Illinois.

Cooper’s teammate, running back Reggie Love, also in the class of 2020, tweeted that Syracuse had offered him. He already holds offers from Bowling Green, Illinois Iowa State and TCU.

Brisly Estime’s Rookie Year Ended Before it Started (itlh.com; Weisleder)

Former Syracuse Receiver, Brisly Estime now a member of the New York Jets, got some bad injury news today. Inside The Loud House has the details.

Former Syracuse Football Wide Receiver/Special Teams player Brisly Estime tore his Achilles’ tendon during a practice this past Wednesday. The undrafted free agent had signed a contract with the New York Jets earlier this month, and broke the news of his injury via Twitter on Thursday.

In response to the injury, the New York Jets have officially waived Estime. When he clears waivers, he will be placed on the injured reserve.

Although Syracuse’ football squad hasn’t had a winning season in quite some time, almost everyone who watches the ACC closely would probably know of Brisly Estime. During his lengthy four-year career with the Orange, Estime established himself as one of the NCAA’s most consistent returners.

Averaging over 17 yards per return on 41 punt returns, and turning two of those into touchdowns, Estime was unstoppable at times for the Orange.

It had been reported that even though Estime was undrafted, the New York Jets were interested in him far before the draft. Luckily for Estime, the Jets weren’t lying, and signed the talented return man. However, the NY Jets have been one of the NFL’s laughingstocks in the punt return category the past two seasons. Estime’s injury has once again prevented them from finding a reliable return option.

Other

-b805ceb75b851e64.JPG

SummerCuse: Things to do every day from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day (PS; Tulloch)

Want to stay busy this summer? Below, we identified at least one fun thing to do for every day between Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day in Syracuse and Central New York.

Of course there are many more events and festivals going on and places to visit than are listed here. You can find things to do anytime on our syracuse.com events page, where events are searchable by location, date or topic. And if you're into live music, we update our list of concerts across Upstate NY daily.

What's your favorite event of the summer? Let us know in the comments.

One thing to do every day this summer in CNY

Date Event Details
May 26, 2017 NYS Chinese Lantern Festival through June 25 Website
May 27, 2017 Deathtrap at Syracuse Stage Website
May 28, 2017 Memorial Day Watchfire at state fairgrounds Website
May 29, 2017 Memorial Day parades Website
May 30, 2017 It's Taco Tuesday at the Chiefs game Website

OrangeyesR.I.P Dan

One of the 3% here. My childhood was filled with redhead abuse, it really existed. One of the favorite expressions was that I was a redheaded N word. Kids can be brutal the thing I had going for me is when I decided to stop taking their crap I was pretty good with my fists and fast feet. I was brought up in a family with two professional boxers who taught me a lot about the manly art of self defense.

One such bully just wrote me this note which got me chuckling

"I owe my rock hard abs to you...remember when we were in 7th or 8th grade...we were @ North High...school watching Evangelist play Sacred Heart,,,,we were screwing around with the girls...something happened and I really pissed you off an you nailed me in the solar plexus...with a lighting fast punch and put me on my knees...I was without breath for a long time...anyway it was over but you did make a huge impression on me...after that I did ab exercises and have done them to this day...I developed the most rock hard stomach muscles...from that day forward...and always knew nobody would ever put me on my knees again and nobody has because of you"

Last edited: May 27, 2014
Orangeyes, May 27, 2014 Edit History Delete Warn Report Replies

It's funny what a person remembers. sutomcat your post about redheads made me remember this post by Dan.

Well the changes to schools having camps off campus to control Harbaugh didn't really change anything.

Getting the Most Out of the Full College Experience
In 2017, Division I increased flexibility in eligibility rules to allow student-athletes to more easily pursue internships and study abroad opportunities. Additionally, the Division I autonomy conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Southeastern – approved several measures to give student-athletes more discretionary time to better balance their athletics and academic commitments. The remaining schools and conferences in Division I can decide individually whether to adopt the changes. Also in 2017, Division II voted to provide student-athletes additional time off when they’re not competing in their season, and Division III voted to allow student-athletes in track and field and swimming to choose their own day off each week.

Covering what scholarships don't

The autonomy conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern – redefined athletics scholarships to include the federally reported full cost of attendance. That means student-athletes can receive additional funds to cover the difference between what their athletics scholarship traditionally covered and the additional expenses of attending school. The value of those benefits can differ from campus to campus, and all Division I schools can choose to participate.

Additionally, the $80 million Student Assistance Fund is available to Division I student-athletes for essential needs, from flying home for a funeral or buying a winter coat to purchasing a laptop needed for class.