Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
june-solstice-illustration.png

Welcome to the Summer Solstice!

Happy first day of summer! Also known as the summer solstice, today is the longest day of the year and the official start of summer for those in the Northern Hemisphere. Today, the sun will shine directly over the Tropic of Cancer while the North Pole reaches its maximum tilt towards the sun, making it the longest day of the year. The farther north a person goes, the more daylight they can expect to have. The North Pole will have 24-hours of daylight, known as “the midnight sun.”

In the United States, the solstice will begin today at 12:24 a.m. EDT. According to Time and Date, “In terms of daylight, this day is 5 hours, 50 minutes longer than on the December Solstice.” The Washington Post writes that American cities can expect anywhere between 22 to 13 hours of daylight, depending on their latitude. The average duration of daylight is 12 hours/day, but this highly variable depending on geographic location.

SU News

Willem-Froumy.jpg

Syracuse football recruiting: Class of 2018 lineman Willem Froumy commits to Syracuse (DO; Graham)

Class of 2018 offensive lineman Willem Froumy committed to Syracuse on Tuesday afternoon, Froumy confirmed to The Daily Orange. The tackle visited SU unofficially on Sunday, attending the “Dino Babers Football Camp.”

“When I went up this weekend (to Syracuse),” Froumy said, “everything clicked.”

At the camp, Froumy was hoping to show coaches his versatility, he said. Coming from an offense that is run heavy, he wanted to show his abilities to work in a passing offense.

“I’ll be redshirted most likely,” Froumy admitted. “I’ve got a lot of stuff to learn.”

SU first got in contact with Froumy in early May, Froumy said, and his primary recruiters were co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Mike Lynch and defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Brian Ward.

The Orange offered the recruit on Monday and he picked the Orange over Bryant, Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire a day later. Syracuse and Boston College were the two schools Froumy said he had sights set on, mostly due to conference and proximity. Syracuse was the first to come calling
cleardot.gif

Tale of the Tape: Syracuse Football Squad Adds WR Anthony Queeley (itlh.com; Carey)

The Syracuse football team is looking to replace the void left by Amba Etta-Tawo. Can Anthony Queeley be the guy?

Dino Babers and the Syracuse coaching staff picked up its ninth commitment in the class of 2018 on Sunday night. Wide Receiver Anthony Queeley, from Lake Nona High School in Orlando, Florida has announced his commitment to Syracuse. Queeley was in Syracuse this past weekend for the Dino Babers football camp.

The 6-foot 2 inch 200-pound receiver also had offers from the likes of Duke, UCF, Virginia Tech, among others. Although Queeley is not rated by 247sports.com, most other sites list him as a three star prospect and his offer list would certainly indicate that.

According to the Orlando Sentinel Queeley felt ‘Cuse was the right fit:

“Starting with academics and athletics. I feel like Syracuse can provide the best of both worlds for me and I felt like it was the best fit for me.”

Queeley is just another solid recruit for the Orange in the already solid class of 2018. Credit to Coach Babers and his staff for getting some high profile recruits on board. Queeley becomes the first outside receiver to commit, while Cooper Lutz is committed as an inside receiver. This past season, Queeley caught 76 passes for 1,063 yards and seven TD’s in the high-flying Lake Nona offense.

Nate Mink "On The Block" 6-20 (espnur.com; pod cast; Axe & Mink)

Syracuse.com’s Nate Mink joins Brent “On The Block” to talk about his article about Syracuse football’s scheduling.

Ricky Widmer and Brandon Swanson continue their ACC Football preview with the Florida State Seminoles.

Other

-af0b5680dfdf0812.JPG

Tenants flock to new loft apartments at former Syracuse knitting mill (PS; photo gallery; Moriarty)

The former West Brothers Knitting Co. factory in Syracuse has been transformed into a 40-unit apartment building, Harbor Street Lofts, featuring large windows, high ceilings, and original hardwood floors and exposed brick walls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom