Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sept-21-Is-International-Day-of-Peace.jpg

Welcome to International Day of Peace!

The International Day of Peace ("Peace Day") is observed around the world each year on 21 September. Established in 1981 by unanimous United Nations resolution, Peace Day provides a globally shared date for all humanity to commit to Peace above all differences and to contribute to building a Culture of Peace.

SU News

Syracuse Football: The Carrier Dome is Still The Loud House (itlh.com; Peelman)

Syracuse football has a heck of a home field advantage in the Carrier Dome. ITLH explains why this still holds true, despite a mediocre team lately

The Syracuse Football team has done poorly over the last decade. In the process they lost their fans in the stands. As a result, the Loud House as it is affectionately called, hasn’t been as loud of late.

I’m here to tell you though, that is not always the case though. Despite being very mediocre the loyal fans still show up to games and support their team when they need it most and that’s why the Carrier Dome is still the Loud House.

Syracuse Football had their worst loss in awhile to Middle Tennessee two weeks ago at home. In that game, the Orange had their lowest attendance of the season at 29,721, according to Syracuse.com. As a result, Syracuse football fans realized they needed to get their butts back in the seats and support their team. They responded to the tune of over 33,000 fans against Central Michigan.

Now, that’s still not the attendance numbers Syracuse Football team should be getting, but it’s a start. Even with 33,000 the Loud House can make some noise. Heck I was there to witness itself.

Syracuse Football: Ryan Nassib is reunited with Doug Marrone (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

We haven’t had a Syracuse football player in the NFL at the quarterback position so far this season, until now. ITLH breaks down the family reunion

When former Syracuse football head coach Doug Marrone skipped out to the NFL, I thought he’d be taking his quarterback with him.

Instead Marrone drafted a new guy from Florida State in EJ Manuel, we all know how that worked out. Manuel is now a backup quarterback for the Oakland Raiders.

So instead of going to Buffalo, Nassib waited around in the 2013 NFL Draft dropping all the way to the fourth round. Honestly it was probably in the long run the better move for Nassib.

He ended up with one of the most stable franchises in the NFL, the New York Giants. Oh yeah and
he sat behind one of the true ironman in NFL history in Eli Manning who has 200+ career starts in a row.

Orgeron_LibraryArchives.jpg

Before LSU, Ed Orgeron shined at Syracuse (DO; Gutierrez)

Inside a computer lab at University Christian (Florida) High School in 1995, Ed Orgeron instructed Derrick Corley to crouch into a defensive stance. Orgeron’s energy was contagious. How he spoke in a raspy, Southern drawl. How he told Corley to position his legs and angle his shoulders. How to spring off the ground as if he were rushing a quarterback.

Orgeron said all of this as he demonstrated the moves himself, poised on his hands and knees between rows of computers in a Jacksonville classroom. A couple dozen students looked up from their screens.

“I decommitted from Miami and went to Syracuse just because I wanted to play for him,” Corley recalled from the recruiting visit.

The legend of Orgeron, commonly known as Coach O, has only grown since he left central New York. He’s known now as the coach whose pregame speeches end up on SportsCenter. The coach who once challenged his entire team to a fight, shirtless. The coach who used to walk through his football offices banging a bass drum strapped to his chest at 7 a.m.

But before that, he was the defensive line coach at Syracuse under Paul Pasqualoni from 1995 to 1997. Orgeron switched the SU defense from a 3-4 to 4-3 scheme, turning the Orange into one of the more feared defenses in all of college football. He helped SU go 27-10 over his three seasons, a period during which Syracuse finished in the year-end Associated Press Top 25 every season. He helped the Orange to three consecutive Big East titles and bowl appearances, including a 41-0 rout over Clemson in the 1996 Gator Bowl.

'I firmly believe an upset is possible,’ says one LSU beat writer about Syracuse (DO; Fortier)

Syracuse (2-1) travels to “Death Valley” for its first road game of the season on Saturday night against Louisiana State (2-1). Last week, the Orange bounced back from an upset loss by trouncing Central Michigan, 41-17, while Mississippi State dominated LSU, 37-7.

Ross Dellenger is the Louisiana State beat reporter for The Advocate, which is based in Baton Rouge, about 10 miles from LSU campus. The Daily Orange spoke with him about Saturday’s matchup.

The Daily Orange: What went wrong last week in LSU’s 37-7 loss at Mississippi State? Was that an anomaly or representative of systematic flaws?

Ross Dellenger: Mississippi State exposed LSU’s defensive and offensive lines, out-muscling those two groups, while also taking advantage of the youth that the Tigers start on defense.

LSU defenders couldn’t stop the outside run and its secondary, late in the game, committed several coverage busts. On offense, receivers had three critical dropped passes, and the O-line allowed several pressures. All around, it was one of the worst performances I’ve seen from an LSU team in four years covering the Tigers.

The D.O.: How would you evaluate Syracuse’s chances to win this game? Do you think you could talk anyone into believing it’s possible?

R.D.: After witnessing the mess LSU made last week, I firmly believe an upset is possible. Sure, the odds aren’t in the Orange’s favor, but it’s possible. Syracuse’s fast-paced, pass-heavy offense isn’t arriving to Baton Rouge at a great time for the Tigers. LSU starts two true freshmen in the secondary, and the Tigers had a handful of coverage busts last week.

In addition to that, the up-tempo style could cause problems. LSU is thin on the defensive line, missing 2-3 rotational players because of injury and suspension.

091617_FB_WasimAhmad.jpg

Cornerback Devin M. Butler has thrived in his switch from the outside to the nickel (DO; Langer)

Devin M. Butler stood with bent knees, ready to pounce. Syracuse’s graduate transfer cornerback was in the nickel, lined up against Middle Tennessee State’s wide receiver Richie James, who has caught more than 100 balls in each of his first two seasons.

MTSU quarterback Brent Stockstill handled the snap and dropped back. To his left, James slid backward and turned toward him, anticipating a screen pass. Butler burst toward James as Stockstill released the ball, disrupting the third-down play and getting the Orange the ball back via a punt.

At least once more, Butler thwarted a similar screen pass intended for James. Disappointment filled Syracuse’s (2-1) Week 2 loss to Middle Tennessee State, but Butler’s emergence as a nickel corner — a position he had not played before — was a bright spot. To maintain its top-10 third-down defense, SU needs Butler to sustain this level of play.

“(The nickel) has to have a lot of coverage skills,” head coach Dino Babers said. “But he’s still got to be able to come up and play the run just in case they decide to run the ball. I think Butler’s got both of those skills, and I think he’s doing a nice job for us.”

Butler transferred from Notre Dame to play his graduate season with the Orange. He said he primarily played on the outside at UND, but that SU coaches thought he could fit as the nickel.

Deke: Coach Orgeron's recap on Mississippi State, on to the Orange (wwl.com; Bellavia)

Each week I'm fortunate enough to sit down and visit with LSU Football Coach Ed Orgeron. Coach O and I discuss the previous week's game, what his thoughts are and on to the next opponent. Coach Oregeron, like many Tigers sans, was not pleased with last week's 7-37 loss to Mississippi State.

"Too many stupid mistakes. It all starts with me. I take full responsibility for that," Orgeron said. Coach O said he could tell right after the game his team was displeased with their performance.

"We had so many players come in Sunday and workout and to me that says the players want to get back to work, correct the mistakes and focus on Syracuse."

And speaking of SU, Orgeron has a history with the Orange. Having been a defensive line coach for Syracuse, Coach O is grateful for his time in upstate NY.

"I was at Nicholls State and I got hired at Syracuse. I learned a lot while I was there, coached some great players and we won some big games."

Now Coach O and the Tigers are preparing for the Orange and they are working on playing LSU Tigers Football. Orgeron said making sure the right fits are taking place, being more balanced on offense and topping the list of correctable things is cleaning up the penalties.

Bottom 25 college football rankings: The ACC is starting to take over this list (cbssports.com; Fornelli)

Only three weeks into the season and we're getting into the nitty-gritty here. Only 11 winless teams remain out of the 130 FBS teams, and one of them is Florida State, so we're going to be down to 10 pretty soon.

Because it's still winless and hasn't played since opening weekend, Florida State remains ranked in the Bottom 25, but the ACC need not worry. Even if the Seminoles win this week, the ACC could still have representation in the Bottom 25.

After all, the Seminoles are one of three ACC teams to be ranked this week. Who are the other two? We'll get to the rankings soon enough, but first a quick reminder on how it all works.

1. My opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the rankings: They are based on a mathematical formula of my creation. Keep this in mind before you call me an idiot, which I know you will.

2. There is real equality to start. Math doesn't play favorites: Before the season begins, defending national champion Clemson is just as good as our defending Bottom 25 champion Texas State. The only factor that matters in the rankings is how you've performed on the field in 2017.

3. Wins and losses mean more than anything: I have a lot of different statistics involved, and I factor in strength of schedule (remember, everybody begins the season with the same SOS), but at the end of the day whether you won or lost is going to mean more than anything else. Also, my formula doesn't have much respect for FCS teams.

4. I won't share the formula: I just don't want to. I'm not a mathematician. I know my formula isn't perfect. I don't think a perfect formula can exist, so I don't share it because I don't care what anybody thinks about it. So don't ask.

No. 12 FSU hosts NC State to headline ACC's Week 4 schedule (sacbee.com; AP)

Things to watch in the Atlantic Coast Conference in Week 4:

GAME OF THE WEEK: North Carolina State at No. 12 Florida State. The Wolfpack (3-1) started the year as an Atlantic Division dark horse thanks to plenty of returning veterans and a strong defensive front. N.C. State gets its first shot at one of the division heavyweights when it visits the preseason league favorite Seminoles (0-1). FSU, meanwhile, hasn't played since the season-opening loss to Alabama due to Hurricane Irma-related issues and will have a freshman starting quarterback in James Blackman after losing Deondre Francois to a season-ending knee injury. "This isn't one of those games where I'm going to have to do a whole lot as far as motivating them," Wolfpack coach Dave Doeren said.

BEST MATCHUP: No 25 LSU's defense will try to slow Syracuse's passing attack. The Tigers rank tied for 17th in the Bowl Subdivision ranks in total defense (268 yards per game) and 29th in scoring defense (15.7). The Orange rank 29th in FBS in passing offense (297.3 yards) while averaging 38 points.

INSIDE THE NUMBERS: Louisville's Lamar Jackson is putting up big numbers again. The reigning Heisman Trophy winner now owns an ACC career mark for most rushing yards by a quarterback (2,834), while he enters Saturday's game against Kent State within three touchdowns of the ACC career record for rushing scores by a quarterback (38, set by Georgia Tech's Tevin Washington).

Other

Whitney Lofts project in downtown Syracuse needs feds' OK to uncover windows (PS; Moriarty)

Sen. Charles Schumer today urged the National Park Service to quickly approve a development group's plans to turn the upper floors of two historic downtown Syracuse buildings into apartments.

Schumer, D-NY, said the Park Service's approval is needed for the $4.2 million project to receive federal historic preservation tax credits, worth up to 20 percent of the cost of the renovations.

Developers Ryan Benz and his wife, Leigh Ann Boatman-Benz, and Steve Case and Dr. Shashank Bhatt want to build 16 apartments on the upper four floors of 321 and 323 S. Salina St. The ground floor of both buildings would contain a 5,500-square-foot restaurant, and the basement of the building would contain a 1920s "speakeasy"-style bar.

To move forward, they must get permission to restore the front facade of 321 S. Salina St. to its 1930s' look, which included large windows. The windows on the upper three floors were covered over with cement in the 1960s.

Schumer said the state Historic Preservation Office has recommended that the cement be kept in place because the 1960s' appearance represents the building's "period of historic significance."

Standing with the developers in front of the building, Schumer said the 1930s' facade, with its large windows, is closer to the building's original appearance. Both 321 and 323 S. Salina St. were constructed in 1855 as part of a group of five buildings known as the Washington Stores. The buildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

I know Coach P was a loyal guy and I respect that by bringing back DeLeon but if he moved Eddy to the DC position, I wonder what would have happened to the program?

From the DO article
"After Syracuse, he bounced around various assistant roles from Southern California, to Ole Miss, the New Orleans Saints, Tennessee and back to USC. Then, in 2016, he became a full-time head coach for the first time in his career at LSU."

I'm sure Ed O would also like to forget his head coaching stint at Ole Miss. That's the same writer that said Syracuse needs to play a tougher schedule.

Reactions: 007