Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
websites_-20170706114339.png

Welcome to National Pickle Day!

National Pickle Day traces its roots to International Pickle Week, which was started by the National Pickle Packers Association in 1949. Pickles, which usually mean pickled cucumbers when spoke of in the United States, are preserved in a brine or vinegar solution, and flavored with herbs and seasonings. The word "pickle" is derived from the Dutch word pekel, which means brine. The pickling process was invented around 1440, and many people were making pickles in their homes by the 1600's. This was helped with the invention of the mason jar in 1858. Pickles are a low calorie food and high in vitamin K, but they may also be high in sodium. Each year Americans eat about 9 pounds of pickles.

SU News

Syracuse Football in near must-win mode for road date with Louisville (cenycentral.com; Tamurian)

Syracuse Football was 4-4 entering November, with a chance to split its last two games to make a bowl.

After two straight losses, they now need to beat both Louisville and Boston College to ensure a postseason bid.

While the media and fans alike will analyze that until we're blue in the face, Coach Dino Babers is taking a different approach.

“You know so much of sports is treating each week as an individual week" Babers said.

"The Clemson week was a high week and the weeks after that have not been so high. I think even when everyone was talking about which bowl game we were going to go to, when I tried to say you need to take them one at a time, now here we are in November, and we better take them one at a time. So, I think the momentum is created every single week and we need to create our own momentum for the week.”

636460267005529502-ULvsVirginiadlh15.jpg

Bobby Petrino on speculation about other jobs: ‘I don’t really worry about it’ (cxourier-journal.com; Lourim)

As college football’s coaching carousel starts turning, Louisville football coach Bobby Petrino declined to address speculation about other coaching jobs, saying that he tries to block those rumors out.

“I don’t really worry about it,” Petrino said Monday. “I’ve just got to focus on what I can do. (Director of football operations Andy Wagner) was asking me something earlier today, I said, ‘I don’t even know that.’ I don’t get up in the morning, turn on talk radio. I just come here, and we get in that room and we try to get a first down. Try to find out what’s going on on third-and-1.

“That’s how we spend the day. I can’t worry about it. I think it’s something that, you just come in and focus on the task at hand.”

tumblr_oq9ctuTfhh1s3n53to1_400.gif

Week 11 Giftastic ACC Football Power Rankings | Sports Channel 8 (sportschannel.com; Moose)

UNC finally squeaks out a conference win while Duke fell to Army. NC State struggled to a win at BC and Wake had to score 63 to beat Syracuse. Here are the Week 11 Giftastic ACC Football Power Rankings

1. Miami

W vs Notre Dame
That wasn’t just a win, that was a reckoning. Here’s a shot of Miami taking on everyone that called them frauds.

Other

pottersville-msjpg-f5db44192dba0ea5.jpg

'Pottersville' reviews: Movie filmed in CNY doomed for streaming, DVD bins? (PS; Herbert)

"Pottersville," the latest movie filmed in Central New York, is out now in select theaters in limited release. In fact, the only theater showing it in CNY is the Hamilton Movie Theater because it otherwise appears doomed to only live on in streaming and DVD bins.

The film stars two-time Oscar nominee Michael Shannon as a local businessman who discovers his wife (Christina Hendricks) is a furry having an affair with a local cop (Ron Perlman) who also enjoys sex while wearing animal costumes. Heartbroken, he gets drunk and tries to understand by dressing up in a gorilla costume, stumbling around town and sparking rumors of Bigfoot sightings -- prompting a tourism craze as reality TV's "Monster Hunter" (Thomas Lennon) tries to catch the beast with Ian McShane.

"Pottersville," filmed last year in Hamilton, Syracuse and at the Central New York Hub for Emerging Nano Industries in DeWitt, hit theaters and VOD on Friday. However, the early reviews suggest few will see it on the big screen as one critic predicted it will soon be "spending the rest of eternity in the storage room of your local Walmart."

See some more of the reviews, which (naturally) drew the most favorable reactions from people who were involved in the production or got a kick out of seeing their hometown in a movie.

Last edited: