Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2015-0111-Happy-mILK.jpg

Welcome to National Milk Day!

National Milk Day on January 11 commemorates the day that many think the first milk deliveries in glass bottles began in the United States. Alexander Campbell of the New York Dairy Company professed to the New York State Senate that his company was the first to make these deliveries in 1878.

Here is some milk trivia that you can share with your family and friends:

— The United States and Australia are the world’s largest exporters of milk and milk products.
— Throughout the world, there are more than 6 billion consumers of milk and milk products.
— In the Middle Ages, milk was called the virtuous white liquor because alcoholic beverages were more reliable than water.
— 1863 – French chemist and biologist Louis Pasteur invented pasteurization, a method of killing harmful bacteria in beverages and food products.
— 1884 – American Doctor Hervey Thatcher of New York City, developed the first modern glass milk bottle, called ‘Thatcher’s Common Sense Milk Jar,’ which was sealed with a waxed paper disk. Later, in 1932, plastic-coated paper milk cartons were introduced commercially as a consequence of their invention by Victor W. Farris.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Brisly Estime update with the New York Jets (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Former Syracuse football wide receiver and current New York Jets star Brisly Estime sat down to talk about his future and more. ITLH breaks it down.

The Orange is the New Fast continues to do wonders for former Syracuse football stars. That is especially true for Brisly Estime with the New York Jets.

After a marvelous four-year career (2013-16) with the Orange where Estime tallied 103 receptions, 1,208 yards, and seven touchdowns, per CFB Reference he signed on with the Jets.

But he truly made his bones on special teams and that’s why the Jets had such a high level of interest. Throughout his career, Estime averaged 20.3 yards per kick return and even more impressively averaged 18 yards per punt return including two touchdowns, per CFB Reference.

That’s been an area of concern for the Jets for the last several years. This past season the Jets were last in the league in punt return average and near the bottom of the league in kickoff returns.

The college football season has officially come to a close, but it is never too soon to begin the hoopla for next season.

The ACC is littered with phenomenal players who will build the narratives in the ACC and beyond.

Clemson’s Dexter Lawrence, Miami’s Travis Homer, FSU’s Cam Akers, BC’s AJ Dillon and Virginia Tech’s Josh Jackson headline the early candidates for next season’s coveted ACC Player of The Year Award.

USATSI_10309339

Clemson All-American to return for senior season (thestate,com; Connolly)

Clemson received some good news late Wednesday afternoon as offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt announced that he will return to school for his senior season.

Hyatt had been considering entering the 2018 NFL draft but will instead finish what he started with the Tigers.

“I have decided to return to Clemson for my senior year,” Hyatt said in a release. “I have some unfinished business on the field and I know another year will benefit me. And, it is very important to me to finish my education.”

Other

2014-11-14-mjg-drag7jpg-f732427abb9e951d.jpg

Pictured: Macy Parade, at left, gets help from partner DeeDee Bustier before the Forty Days to Christmas fundraiser at American Foundry in Oswego in 2014.

Winter Brewfest, The Verve Pipe: 9 things to do in CNY this weekend (PS; Pucci)

The Verve Pipe
The Michigan-based alternative rock band, best known for their 1997 hit "The Freshman," will perform at the Center for the Arts in Homer. Cortland-based rock band Genitor will open the concert.

Where: Center for the Arts, 72 S. Main St., Homer.

When: Thursday, Jan. 11 at 7 p.m.

How much: Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door.

2018 Kick Off Drag Show
Winter can be a drag, but a show like this promises to be nothing but fun. It's the latest performance from Queens for a Cause, who organize drag shows to raise money for charities in Oswego County and across Central New York.

Proceeds from this show benefit the VOW Foundation, a non-profit organization that combats synthetic drugs and helps mentally ill, homeless and low-income youth in Oswego County.

Where: The American Foundry, 246 W. Seneca St., Oswego.

When: Friday, Jan. 12, from 8 to 10:30 p.m.

How much: Tickets are $8 in advance or $10 at the door.

Hoping Bris has a nice career in the NFL as a slot/kick returner. He's an exciting player to watch.