Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Image-Lotus-123.jpg

Welcome to Lotus-1-2-3 Day!

It's a day to celebrate spreadsheets, which as easy as 1-2-3, because on this date in 1983, Lotus began to sell its best-selling, user-friendly spreadsheet for Microsoft DOS.

Lotus 1-2-3 wasn't the first spreadsheet program for microcomputers, though.

I bought my first computer before there was such a thing as a “PC” or IBM Personal Computer. I bought an Apple II, which was then very big in the very small microcomputer market. I remember hearing about this new kind of software – a spreadsheet program, whatever that was – called VisiCalc. It turned out that VisiCalc made Apple much more popular as a home and small business computer. A few years later, Lotus 1-2-3 did the same thing for the new PCs. Nowadays the most popular spreadsheet program is Excel.

SU News

Throwback Thursday: Syracuse urged to build 'domed stadium' 40 years ago (PS; Croyle)

In his "Winter Message" last week, Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said the university would soon reach a decision on what to do about the Carrier Dome's aging roof.

He said a "definitive decision on the future of the Dome would be done by summer.

Forty years ago, this week, Syracuse's now familiar domed stadium was first mentioned as a possible replacement for the crumbling Archbold Stadium.

The reaction was mixed at first but would soon gain momentum.

In January 1978, the Onondaga County Stadium Commission met with two nationally recognized experts on stadium construction.

One was David Geiger, consulting engineer of the New York City firm of Geiger-Berger Associates, who the Post-Standard called, "the nation's top authority on soft tops for major structures such as stadiums."

On Jan. 23, he told the commission that a fully-enclosed 50,000-seat stadium could be built in Syracuse for about $15 million, and asked that the group "not to reject automatically consideration of a roofed stadium."

"This is a new technology," he said, "but not untried or unproven."

Geiger's firm had built, or were in the process of building, domed stadiums or soft-top buildings for the University of Northern Iowa, the University of Santa Clara and a covered bullfight ring in Venezuela.

ACC Pre-Spring Predictions For Every Game (collegefootballnews.com; Staff)

SYRACUSE
Prespring Prediction: 6-6
Prespring ACC Prediction: 3-5

Sept. 1 at Western Michigan
Sept. 8 Wagner
Sept. 15 Florida State
Sept. 22 UConn
Sept. 29 at Clemson
Oct. 6 at Pitt
Oct. 13 OPEN DATE
Oct. 20 North Carolina
Oct. 27 NC State
Nov. 3 at Wake Forest
Nov. 9 Louisville
Nov. 17 Notre Dame (in New York)
Nov. 24 at Boston College
Syracuse Schedule Analysis

ACC Football Rx: More 2018 ACC Schedule Analysis (accfootballrx.com)

How well did the ACC do with the 2018 football schedule in terms of spreading out the number of games? Here's a table breaking out ACC conference games, non-conference games against P5, non-P5 FBS, and FCS opponents, by week:

Other

'We had a good run': Hullar's closes after 107 years, coffee shop remains (PS; Weaver)

Part of Hullar's will live on.

The restaurant side of Hullar's is closing, Nanette Hullar said this afternoon.

But Hullar's Coffee Shop, which serves breakfast and lunch, will remain open seven days a week.

"We might even have a couple of nights open for dinner," Hullar said.

It was time, though, to close down the full-service restaurant, she said.

"It was a horrible decision," she said. Hullar family has been talking about it for a while. Those talks involved yelling and led to some sleepless nights.

New York's higher minimum wage rate was another factor in closing, she said. The minimum wage requirement for tipped food workers in Upstate New York has grown from $5 an hour three years ago to $7.50 an hour now.

"I knew that was going to be the downfall for a lot of restaurants," she said. "That's so sad.

I remember back in the 80s as a summer CS intern the company I was at had spreadsheets that people were locking and forgetting the passwords and I had to break the security algorithm Lotus 1-2-3 was using at the time. They were so happy to get their data back once I cracked it it got me a Full Time Job.

One of my biggest and dumbest regrets revolves around Lotus 123. In the early 1980’s a good friend of mine was working for a software firm in Syracuse. I was an accountant whose company was looking to install company wide spreadsheet software, deciding mainly between VisiCalc and supercalc. I was on the committee deciding which one and asked my friend if she had either of these spreadsheet software to look at before the company’s official IBM’s spreadsheet presentation. She asked me to come to her company on a Saturday and said I could use their computers to look at what they had.

Long story short, in shrink wrap was a beta copy of a new spreadsheet option, Lotus 123, they had never opened. Included was a prospectus for Lotus offering shares for a nickel, yes 5 cents a share. We had a good laugh over it , I opened it , ran it and was shocked at how easy and good the software was. She said I could take it with me, they didn’t need it. It wasn’t coming out for sale for another few months though. I shocked IBM in the meeting when I mentioned Lotus 123 because it wasn’t public yet. As a result, we waited till it came out and made it our spreadsheet choice. i was a mini hero. I stayed poor because I ignored the prospectus which we had thrown away back at my friend’s firm , my thought process tunnel-visioned only as an employee not an investor. If I had invested only $5.oo I would have had a minimum of $1800 which was the stock price when it first went public in 1983. I know the stock price eventually rose to over $85 a share. Uggh. Dumb, dumb, dumb

One of my biggest and dumbest regrets revolves around Lotus 123. In the early 1980’s a good friend of mine was working for a software firm in Syracuse. I was an accountant whose company was looking to install company wide spreadsheet software, deciding mainly between VisiCalc and supercalc. I was on the committee deciding which one and asked my friend if she had either of these spreadsheet software to look at before the company’s official IBM’s spreadsheet presentation. She asked me to come to her company on a Saturday and said I could use their computers to look at what they had.

Long story short, in shrink wrap was a beta copy of a new spreadsheet option, Lotus 123, they had never opened. Included was a prospectus for Lotus offering shares for a nickel, yes 5 cents a share. We had a good laugh over it , I opened it , ran it and was shocked at how easy and good the software was. She said I could take it with me, they didn’t need it. It wasn’t coming out for sale for another few months though. I shocked IBM in the meeting when I mentioned Lotus 123 because it wasn’t public yet. As a result, we waited till it came out and made it our spreadsheet choice. i was a mini hero. I stayed poor because I ignored the prospectus which we had thrown away back at my friend’s firm , my thought process tunnel-visioned only as an employee not an investor. If I had invested only $5.oo I would have had a minimum of $1800 which was the stock price when it first went public in 1983. I know the stock price eventually rose to over $85 a share. Uggh. Dumb, dumb, dumb
I never know what I might post that will get a great response like this. Awesome. Condolences on your lost opportunity to become a billionaire!