Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
gustavson_crusoeday.jpg

Welcome to Robinson Crusoe Day!

February 1 is probably best known as the day before the shadow-seeking mammal emerges to predict how long winter will last. But it also is the day that has been designated "Robinson Crusoe Day," to commemorate the anniversary of the rescue in 1709 of Alexander Selkirk.

Selkirk was a Scottish sailor who had been put ashore in September 1704 on the uninhabited island of Juan Fernandez after a quarrel with his captain. His adventures there are said to have formed the basis for Daniel Defoe's book Robinson Crusoe.

"Chase's 1999 Calendar of Events" suggests that the first day of February is a "day to be adventurous and self-reliant."

The title-page of the first edition of Defoe's work reads: "The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe of York, Mariner; Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oronoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pirates. Written by Himself."

SU News

maxresdefault.jpg

Syracuse Offers Five-Star 2020 Receiver – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Hoppe)

It’s common sense: the better recruits a program gets, the better it will be in the future. That’s exactly what Dino Babers is concerned about right now.

Porter Rooks, a five-star wide receiver from Providence Day in Charlotte, North Carolina, has been offered by a bevy of top schools. Just a few days ago, Syracuse added itself to that list. It doesn’t seem likely that Rooks winds up playing in the Carrier Dome, but it should be a positive for Orange fans that SU is even in the conversation for a guy like Rooks. Babers isn’t going to start pulling in elite players overnight, but you’ve got to start somewhere.

In my mind, last year’s win over Clemson really gives SU some legitimacy in situations like these. Five-star recruits likely still don’t view Syracuse as a potential landing spot, but that victory has to add something to the equation when players consider joining the Orange.

main_logo.png

All-ACC Academic Football Teams Announced (theacc.com)

Atlantic Coast Conference Jim Tatum Award winner Braxton Berrios of Miami and National Football Foundation Campbell Trophy recipient Micah Kiser of Virginia headline the 68-member 2017 All-ACC Academic Football Team, announced Wednesday by the league office.

Minimum academic requirements for selection to the All-ACC Academic Team are a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during one’s academic career. Athletic achievements during the most recent season are also considered in selecting the All-ACC Academic Team.

All 14 ACC Football member institutions were represented on the team. Duke led all schools with 13 selections, followed by Pitt (8), Clemson (7), Syracuse (6), Virginia (6), Louisville (5), NC State (5), Wake Forest (5), Miami (3), Virginia Tech (3), Boston College (2), Florida State (2), Georgia Tech (2) and North Carolina (1).

The ACC has selected an All-ACC Academic Football Team every year since 1954. The team was chosen from a pool of 144 ACC Football student-athletes who were nominated by their schools.

ACC Football Rx: Links, news and rumors - 2/1/18 (accfootballrx.com)

ACC in SuperBowl LII
14 players from #ACC schools are on the rosters of the @Patriots and @Eagles for this weekend's #SuperBowl matchup: ACC Schools Have 14 Former Standouts in 2018 Super Bowl #ACCPros #ACCFootballpic.twitter.com/JchxJIZ23y
— ACC Football (@ACCFootball) January 31, 2018
You expect to see Seminoles but what's up Panthers?

From FBSchedules: Clemson to host App. State in 2024
The Clemson Tigers have added the Appalachian State Mountaineers to their 2024 football schedule... [the Tigers] will host Appalachian State at Memorial Stadium on Sept. 7, 2024. The game will be the sixth overall meeting between the two schools... [the first since] 2015... The Tigers are also scheduled to host back-to-back games against The Citadel on Nov. 23 and South Carolina on Nov. 30.

From NBC Sports: Pitt adds CMU assistant Archie Collins as 10th assistant

Pitt will hope former Central Michigan assistant Archie Collins will be able to turn things around for the Pittsburgh secondary in 2018 as he becomes the 10th assistant on the Pitt football staff. Head Coach Narduzzi said "Archie is a fantastic coach and highly driven recruiter."

Miami Hurricanes among the ACC leaders in attendance (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The Miami Hurricanes finished fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in attendance in 2017. With the Florida State game on the road this past season a fourth place finish in conference attendance was impressive.

Clemson, Florida State and Virginia Tech were the only schools in the ACC to finish ahead of the Miami Hurricanes in attendance. Miami averaged 56,263 fans in 2017. That number was down from 57,396 in 2016. The Hurricanes almost always have better attendance numbers in the even numbered years when they host Florida State.

The declining attendance number aligned with college football overall and the ACC more specifically. Eleven of the ACC’s 14 football members saw their attendance numbers decline from 2016. Virginia Tech, Boston College and Wake Forest were the only teams in the ACC to have an increase in attendance from 2016 to 2017.

Miami’s biggest crowd of 2017 was 65,303 against Notre Dame. That compares to 65,685 for Florida State in 2016. Miami drew a total of 404,422 to Hard Rock Stadium in 2017. That was up from 351,434 in 2016. The Hurricanes had seven home games in 2017 and six in 2016.

Other

A5_SUCrossCountry_PaulSchlesinger_SP.jpg

The distance runner meal plan: oatmeal, steak and Pedialyte (DO; Emerman)

Distance runners at SU don’t have a secret nutrition plan. They don’t count calories or measure protein powder. The runners simply eat to fulfill their appetites and snack on fruits and vegetables between meals.

Justyn Knight does not track his caloric intake. Instead, he focuses on eating a normal, balanced diet.

“I’m not one of those guys who watches their calories,” Knight said. “I know my body, I know when I’m hungry, I know when I’m full before the point where I can’t move. Usually I just try to eat regular. If I’m hungry, I’ll just snack more.”

While every runner is different, common themes exist among Syracuse’s distance runners. Chow down on a big breakfast to prepare your body for a grueling day of exercise. After a hard workout, eat steak. Before a race, hydrate and refuel with electrolytes. These diets help Knight, Aiden Tooker, Paige Stoner and the rest of SU’s longhaul runners cover up to 80 to 100 miles in a given week of training.

The coaching staff generally takes a hands-off strategy on dieting because “it’s not a subject that you can really deal with in college athletics,” head coach Chris Fox said. While there are common foods he encourages all his runners to eat — especially red meat — every athlete is different.