Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
giphy.gif

Welcome to English Language Day!

English Language Day is a United Nations (UN) observance that people celebrate on April 23 each year. It coincides with William Shakespeare’s birthday and World Book and Copyright Day.

English Language Day aims to entertain and inform people about the history, culture and achievements associated with the language. The day often features book-reading events, English quizzes, poetry and literature exchanges, and other activities that promote the English language.

English Language Day is a global observance and not a public holiday.

English is one of the two working languages of the UN Secretariat and one of the organization’s six official languages. English is often referred to as a "world language", or the lingua franca (bridge language or common language used by speakers of different languages) of the modern era because it is widely spoken. The UN first celebrated English Language Day on April 23, 2010.

For a language that was used by only 3 tribes about 1500 years ago, English has official or special status in at least 75 countries with a total population of over two billion.

SU News

ACC Football Rx (accfootballrx.com; HokieMark)

2017 ACC Financial Grades

How well has the ACC done in trying to make up for the huge financial gaps with its neighboring P5s? Here's a status report based on my "7 ways to close the gap" with the SEC and the B1G:

ACC Football Rx: Chasing the B1G SEC money

1. Get Notre Dame into the Orange Bowl vs. an ACC team.
$13.75 M x 2 (max in 12 yrs) = $27.50 M
NOPE - this money is in danger of evaporating.

2. Get a Big Ten team into the Orange Bowl.
Thus get the higher payout of the Citrus Bowl
$4.25 M x 3 (est. in 12 yrs) = $12.75M
YES x 2 = $8.5M (but at most this happens 4 more times for $17M more).

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2018/04/22/kelly-says-notre-dame-qb-competition-is-closer-but-better/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; Shanahan)

This time a year ago Notre Dame wrapped up spring football with head coach Brian Kelly asserting Brandon Wimbush was his starting quarterback. He wanted to tamp down any conversation of competition with backup Ian Book.

Kelly still says Wimbush is his starter following Saturday’s 2018 Blue-and-Gold spring on April 21, but now he labels his returning quarterback as 1A and Book as 1B.
The doubt between now and a year ago could be interpreted as a step backward, but Kelly says no.
He sees a more mature Wimbush as a redshirt junior. And if for whatever reason Notre Dame has to turn to Book, the rising redshirt sophomore no longer has uncertainly surrounding him. Since then he has proven he can produce.

“We’re not (naming a starter),” Kelly told the media after the spring game. “I think it’s pretty clear that Brandon went out and got a chance to go with the first group and Ian played with the second group. You know, that’s not etched in stone, but that’s the way they’ve been trending. I don’t think there was anything today that changed that, but we know Ian Book can win for us. So it’s 1A and 1B.”
Both were impressive throwing the ball in the spring game that the offense won over the defense in modified scoring, 47-44.

Wimbush finished 19-of-33 for 341 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. He threw a 64-yard TD to Miles Boykin and a 6-yard TD to Chase Claypool. He was sacked only once.
Book was 17-of-30 for 292 yards with one TD. His score was an 85-yard touchdown pass to Claypool. He wasn’t intercepted, but he was sacked seven times.

Defensive line draft crop not the greatest this year (mcall.com; Fierro)

Third in a five-part NFL Draft preview series.

Getting younger on the defensive line is a goal for the Philadelphia Eagles over the next couple of years.

Getting younger this week may be a little complicated, however, because of the perceived lack of overall quality in the NFL Draft at those positions

So the Eagles may have to wait another year to find eventual replacements for 34-year-old Haloti Ngata, Michael Bennett (32), Chris Long (33) and Brandon Graham (30).

NFL stars. Aside from the clear-cut class of the group, North Carolina State’s Bradley Chubb, it’s a crapshoot.

Since the Eagles have no shot at Chubb, they likely are looking at the next tier and wondering what the risk-reward factor is.

Does Marcus Davenport of Texas-San Antonio have a first-round grade? Are LSU’s Arden Key’s off-field problems behind him for good? How does Ohio State’s Sam Hubbard project?

fsu3.jpg

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2018...pparel-deals-do-a-poor-job-catering-to-women/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; JFann)

No one will ever question that more men than women watch sports, but according to this report from The Sports Digest the popularity of football among women is rising.

According to a study by Ohio University, about half of all American women are football fans as opposed to 69 percent of American men. In fact, women are the fastest-growing audience for the National Football League. Between 2009-2013, overall NFL female viewership rose by 26 percent, more than double the 10 percent increase among US men.

You can read the study from Ohio University here…

So why don’t College Athletic Apparel Deals do a better catering to Women? Take a look at these tweets from a cross-section of a handful of schools.

My wife is an Ohio St fan and there is large diverse amount of woman’s gear available, She wanted something from my school (Rutgers) and that was an issue. She has men’s t’s

— Andre L (@Giantandre) April 21, 2018

Literally not one piece of women’s apparel from Adidas? Georgia Tech Sports on Twitter

— increasingly agoraphobic (@sportsbroad) April 20, 2018

I’m dying for an orange clemson natty polo that I can wear to work. Men’s polos are way too big in the shoulders for me. Only stuff I have seen for ladies is T shirts.

— Summer Fann (@summer_fann) April 21, 2018

Negative ghost rider. They all say it sucks. The ones that don’t suck are over priced.

— Tyler (@FSUReligionMan) April 21, 2018

The only positive women’s apparel comment comes from Ohio State. Now I haven’t done any market research, but I’d imagine if 40% of my potential customers came from one significant demographic I’d do a better job of providing adequate clothing options.

Other

Syracuse-area food festivals for 2018: From crawfish and BBQ to meatballs and apple pies (PS; Weaver)

Lucky eaters in Central New York can feast their way through food festivals almost year-round.

This year, the celebration kicks off with crawfish, hot wings and barbecue. Summer starts with Taste of Syracuse and ends with the New York State Fair -- and in between festival-goers can eat their way through Greece, the Middle East, Poland and the Ukraine. For fall, think red: tomatoes and apples.

Crawfish Festival & Clambake

Syracuse

May 5

The 11th annual Crawfish Festival & Clambake runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Clinton Square. Operation Northern Comfort is bringing in 3,500 pounds of crawfish, plus a generous amount of deep-fried crawfish mac and cheese.

Operation Northern Comfort works to rebuild homes damaged by natural disasters, and this festival is one of its main fundraisers. The group also raises money for Syracuse-area groups, such as In My Father's Kitchen and A Tiny Home for Good.

Syracuse Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival

May 12

More than two dozen food trucks from Central New York and the Finger Lakes will drive to the New York State Fairgrounds once again for one of the season's earliest -- and biggest -- rodeos.

Last edited: