Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Great-Lakes-Awareness-Day.jpg

Welcome to Great Lakes Awareness Day!

Great Lakes Awareness Day celebrates the Great Lakes and highlights the issues they face, and how the lakes can be preserved. Events for the day have involved organizations such as schools, aquariums, and museums. There is not much information available online about how the day is celebrated or how it came to be.

There are five Great Lakes: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Ontario, and Erie. Together they make up the largest body of freshwater on Earth and stretch 750 miles from east to west. They are located on the border of the United States and Canada and touch the states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, New York, and Pennsylvania. It is believed that at one time the Great Lakes were covered by a glacier—it receded towards Canada and left depressions filled with water.

SU News

https://cseany.org/csea-syracuse-university-football-discount/ (cseany.org)

Go ORANGE® with CSEA and save!

Exclusive member benefit! Take advantage of your CSEA membership to catch the Syracuse Orange® in most 2017 home football games at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse at very special reduced rates!

CSEA members will be entitled to purchase discounted tickets as follows:

CENTRAL CONNECTICUT, MIDDLE TENNESSEE, CENTRAL MICHIGAN – $10
PITTSBURGH – $25 • WAKE FOREST, BOSTON COLLEGE – $15

To get your CSEA discount tickets, visit this site for online ordering – click on the “Find Tickets” box after your game selection, enter Promo Code: CSEA17 (all caps, no spaces). NOTE: YOU WILL NOT SEE THE SPECIAL CSEA PRICING UNTIL YOU CLICK ON YOUR SEAT SELECTION (discounted seats are in the Lower Endzone, Upper Corners and Stadium Seating). After you select your seats, login with your MyCuse Account or create a new account. Follow the steps to purchase and check out. There will be a processing and print at home fee.

zairefranklin-syracuse-615x400.jpg

Syracuse Football HC Dino Babers: “Zaire Franklin is uncuttable” (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers spoke about Zaire Franklin in a recent radio interview. ITLH breaks it all down here.

Hopefully a new streak was created with former Syracuse football standout Zaire Franklin being drafted in the seventh round of the 2018 NFL Draft. This was Dino Babers first player to be drafted under his regime.

So you can understand that there’s a special connection between these two individuals. That was even more prevalent in a recent radio interview with Dan Dakich on 1070 The Fan.

In that conversation Babers spoke about Franklin’s character and why he’s truly ‘uncuttable’:

“The guy is absolutely solid as a rock and there is no way in hell he’s getting cut,” Babers said. “If there’s odds in Vegas — let me find out what the odds are — you can’t cut the kid. He’s uncuttable.”

IU football adds Syracuse transfer to D-Line (indystar.com; Crawford)

Indiana University football is adding a third graduate transfer.

Kayton Samuels, a defensive tackle who recently graduated from Syracuse, announced his commitment to the Hoosiers on Sunday.

Got 'em: 'Romeo Langford' graduated from the Kelley School of Business, thanks to an IU prankster

"It's not over yet": IU football's Ian Thomas turning NFL heads at tight end

"This past journey has been a stressful one for me," he wrote on Instagram. "Felt like I lost myself without the game. I'm even more grateful for it now. I'm extremely happy to say I'm BACK and I'm BETTER."

Bachelors- Syracuse University ✔️
Masters- Indiana University ⚪️ LOADING...

— Kayton Samuels (@JustMyfans) May 6, 2018
The monstrous 6-foot, 319-pound lineman started 24 games over three seasons for the Orange. He racked up 44 tackles, including 4.5 for loss.

The Hoosiers will benefit from the transfer as they lost three starters to graduation. Position coach Mark Hagen has made the D-Line work by committee, never reliant on just one or two players for production. Samuels could help drive that system.

test3.jpg

The Ultimate Syracuse University Bucket List (odysseyonline.com; Munson)

As I get another email about registration fast approaching, it dawns on me that junior year is literally right around the corner and that means that senior year isn't so far away anymore. And you know what? That's scary beyond belief. I might sit here applying for internships thinking I'm on the way to becoming an adult, but in all honesty, I'm not ready for what the future holds after college. So in the meantime, I put the future in the back of my mind and focus on what's in front of me — the two glorious years of shenanigans I have left. So what's the best way to best use of my time here? A bucket list. So here's the bucket list thoroughly compiled for anyone who wants to make the most of their time here.

1. Try Dinosaur Bar-B-Q.
2. Be here to celebrate a March Madness title win (totally feasible considering the road to the Final Four looks pretty good, a.k.a., Gonzaga sucks).
3. Attend as many fraternity / sorority formals as possible. (Two in one weekend? Challenge accepted.)
4. Take a successful Castle court Instragram photo, followed by a successful day at Castle (a.k.a., making it to the game after a tailgate).
5. Complete a bar crawl.
6. Utilize the infamous kissing bench.
7. Attend the NY State Fair (trust me on this one, the food is bomb).

Other

lake-ontario-storm-waves-8673dfef0c17aaed.jpg

Oswego Lighthouse on Lake Ontario

An earthquake happened in Lake Ontario, but no one felt it (PS; Axelson)

There was an earthquake in Lake Ontario north of Rochester on Friday, but it was so tiny, you couldn't have felt it at all.

According to WIVB-TV, the U.S. Geological Survey reported a 1.5-magnitude earthquake about 26 miles NNW of Sodus Point on Friday morning, about 5 kilometers below the surface of the water.

WGRZ-TV reports that Lake Ontario sits above many tiny faults, and small quakes are not uncommon beneath the water.

These types of quakes, however, cannot be felt unless you are right on top of them, according to the station. In fact, most earthquakes can't be felt at all if they are below 2.5 on the Richter Scale.

Last summer, a few people reported feeling a 2.5 magnitude quake that struck north of Olcott in Lake Ontario.

Earthquakes occasionally strike elsewhere in Upstate NY too. Earlier in 2018, some Hudson Valley residents were rattled by a 2.2 magnitude earthquake in Dutchess County.

NC State corner Markel Valdez will transfer after getting kicked off team for rules violation

Markel Valdez was a well-regarded prospect from South Carolina and worked his way into the two-deep at corner last season before tearing an ACL against Marshall. He also had some legal problems at NC State, which cut his career in Raleigh short. He was kicked off the team for a rules violation, and he’ll be transferring elsewhere.

It’s a shame things couldn’t work out here because dude is clearly talented, but sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing. He should be an impact player for somebody down the line. That won’t be for a somebody in the ACC, since he is restricted from transferring elsewhere in the league. He also can’t transfer to any of the non-conference opponents on NC State’s 2018 schedule.