Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
clean-your-room-day.png

Welcome to National Clean Up Your Room Day!

National Clean Up Your Room Day is observed annually on May 10. This is a day parents appreciate much more than do their children.

National Clean Up Your Room Day isn’t just for kids to clean their rooms. It is about picking up, straightening up and cleaning up. It is a day to do some serious spring cleaning and make your surroundings more pleasant. Clean out a cluttered closet and donate or throw away those things you are not using. Help your children make their beds, clean their rooms and eliminate the toys and clothing they have outgrown.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Spend some time getting your home looking and feeling clean and fresh for summer. Post photos on social media using #CleanUpYourRoomDay.

SU News

usa_today_10253180-1024x683.jpg

How Does Eric Dungey Stack Up With Syracuse’s Opposing Quarterbacks? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

Despite missing the final three plus games, Eric Dungey finished eighth in the ACC in both passing yards and touchdowns. Health aside, the senior-to-be has been much better than his eighth overall ranking shows. He’s a dynamic rusher along with his passing abilities that thrive in Dino Babers’ offense.

In a preview of the 2018 season, Athlon Sports ranked all 130 quarterbacks heading into the year. Last season, Dungey came in ranked 33rd by Athlon. But this time around, he took a solid leap. Here’s how Dungey lines up in the country, as well as against this year’s opponents.

Eric Dungey: 23rd

Dungey is one of the best quarterbacks on Athlon’s list and slots in at fourth in the ACC. A lot of this is contingent on his health. But if he can stay on the field for all of 2018, Dungey can certainly elevate above his 23rd overall ranking. A big question for him is who will step up and be his All-American caliber receiver? One has emerged each of the last two seasons, now it’s a group of young pass catchers that don’t have a lot of playing experience.

John Wassink, Western Michigan: 84th

Right out of the gate, SU faces a QB in the back end of college football. However, the great equalizer is that WMU’s head coach is Tim Lester, a former Syracuse assistant. Wassink is coming off a season-ending collarbone injury, but was playing well prior to going down. Don’t be surprised if he is a little better than 84th.

Rex%20Culpepper%20getting%20chemotherapy_1525934281901.jpg_86416486_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Former Plant High star Rex Culpepper fighting testicular cancer to get back on the field at Syracuse (absactionnews.com; Daly)

Rex Culpepper had just flown back to Syracuse. He felt his first wave of discomfort as he drove home from the airport.

“I noticed my testicle was swollen," says Rex. "I didn’t think much of it at first.”

The 20-year-old quarterback at Syracuse University and former football star at Plant High School in Tampa had spring practice coming up. He did not have time to get sick.

When he finally went to the hospital, the doctor delivered a terrifying diagnosis: testicular cancer.

“I was like, ‘Come on, what?!’ It was kind of hard to take in,” says Rex, getting another round of chemotherapy at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. “My mom and dad flew me home immediately.”

Rex's mother and father are Monica Culpepper, of TV’s “Survivor,” and Brad Culpepper, who first made his name as a football star for the Florida Gators and Tampa Bay Buccaneers and is now a successful lawyer on billboards all over town.

“We’re worried about his health," says Brad. "And he’s like, I gotta get back to practice!"

920x920.jpg

Baseball, football finals stay put (dailygazette.com; Schiltz)

State baseball and football championships will continue to be staged at their longtime homes in the coming years following approval by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association's Executive Committee at its quarterly meeting.

The state baseball final four games will be again be contested at various locations in Binghamton in 2019-21. The sites for this year's games (June 8-9) include Binghamton University, Conlon Field, NYSEG Stadium and Maine-Endwell and Union-Endicott high schools.

The state football finals will remain at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse in 2019-21.

The Executive Committee also approved locations for future state football semifinal games. Middletown High School will continue to host the East Region semifinals in 2019-21.Section II competes in that side of the state bracket. The West Region semifinals will be held at Cicero-North Syracuse High School in 2019 and 2021, and at Union-Endicott High School in 2020.

The NYSPHSAA Executive Committee approved several other items.

* New qualifying standards for boys swimming and diving for the 2018-19 school year.
* Section I Executive Director Jen Simmons was approved as the cheerleading state coordinator for the 2018-19 school year.

Other

See how 2 Central NY police officers help man propose to his girlfriend (video) (PS; Doran)

Rome city police officers "pulled over" a couple in a green convertible Tuesday morning, telling the driver and passenger they'd received a call about a couple embroiled in a verbal dispute.

Officer David Salle asked the driver to exit the vehicle, which they pulled over in a parking lot. The other officer walked around to the passenger side to speak to a woman sitting in the front seat.

The woman had no idea it was all a setup.

She got out to talk to the officer and walked around to the back of the car.

There was her boyfriend, on one knee, holding out a small ring box.

The woman suddenly realized what was happening.

"Oh my God," she shouted.

She hugged her boyfriend and the couple didn't let go of each other.

Unsure for certain if she said yes or not, the officers shouted out "What's the answer?"

clean-your-room-day.png

Welcome to National Clean Up Your Room Day!

National Clean Up Your Room Day is observed annually on May 10. This is a day parents appreciate much more than do their children.

National Clean Up Your Room Day isn’t just for kids to clean their rooms. It is about picking up, straightening up and cleaning up. It is a day to do some serious spring cleaning and make your surroundings more pleasant. Clean out a cluttered closet and donate or throw away those things you are not using. Help your children make their beds, clean their rooms and eliminate the toys and clothing they have outgrown.

HOW TO OBSERVE

Spend some time getting your home looking and feeling clean and fresh for summer. Post photos on social media using #CleanUpYourRoomDay.

SU News

usa_today_10253180-1024x683.jpg

How Does Eric Dungey Stack Up With Syracuse’s Opposing Quarterbacks? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

Despite missing the final three plus games, Eric Dungey finished eighth in the ACC in both passing yards and touchdowns. Health aside, the senior-to-be has been much better than his eighth overall ranking shows. He’s a dynamic rusher along with his passing abilities that thrive in Dino Babers’ offense.

In a preview of the 2018 season, Athlon Sports ranked all 130 quarterbacks heading into the year. Last season, Dungey came in ranked 33rd by Athlon. But this time around, he took a solid leap. Here’s how Dungey lines up in the country, as well as against this year’s opponents.

Eric Dungey: 23rd

Dungey is one of the best quarterbacks on Athlon’s list and slots in at fourth in the ACC. A lot of this is contingent on his health. But if he can stay on the field for all of 2018, Dungey can certainly elevate above his 23rd overall ranking. A big question for him is who will step up and be his All-American caliber receiver? One has emerged each of the last two seasons, now it’s a group of young pass catchers that don’t have a lot of playing experience.

John Wassink, Western Michigan: 84th

Right out of the gate, SU faces a QB in the back end of college football. However, the great equalizer is that WMU’s head coach is Tim Lester, a former Syracuse assistant. Wassink is coming off a season-ending collarbone injury, but was playing well prior to going down. Don’t be surprised if he is a little better than 84th.

Rex%20Culpepper%20getting%20chemotherapy_1525934281901.jpg_86416486_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Former Plant High star Rex Culpepper fighting testicular cancer to get back on the field at Syracuse (absactionnews.com; Daly)

Rex Culpepper had just flown back to Syracuse. He felt his first wave of discomfort as he drove home from the airport.

“I noticed my testicle was swollen," says Rex. "I didn’t think much of it at first.”

The 20-year-old quarterback at Syracuse University and former football star at Plant High School in Tampa had spring practice coming up. He did not have time to get sick.

When he finally went to the hospital, the doctor delivered a terrifying diagnosis: testicular cancer.

“I was like, ‘Come on, what?!’ It was kind of hard to take in,” says Rex, getting another round of chemotherapy at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. “My mom and dad flew me home immediately.”

Rex's mother and father are Monica Culpepper, of TV’s “Survivor,” and Brad Culpepper, who first made his name as a football star for the Florida Gators and Tampa Bay Buccaneers and is now a successful lawyer on billboards all over town.

“We’re worried about his health," says Brad. "And he’s like, I gotta get back to practice!"

920x920.jpg

Baseball, football finals stay put (dailygazette.com; Schiltz)

State baseball and football championships will continue to be staged at their longtime homes in the coming years following approval by the New York State Public High School Athletic Association's Executive Committee at its quarterly meeting.

The state baseball final four games will be again be contested at various locations in Binghamton in 2019-21. The sites for this year's games (June 8-9) include Binghamton University, Conlon Field, NYSEG Stadium and Maine-Endwell and Union-Endicott high schools.

The state football finals will remain at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse in 2019-21.

The Executive Committee also approved locations for future state football semifinal games. Middletown High School will continue to host the East Region semifinals in 2019-21.Section II competes in that side of the state bracket. The West Region semifinals will be held at Cicero-North Syracuse High School in 2019 and 2021, and at Union-Endicott High School in 2020.

The NYSPHSAA Executive Committee approved several other items.

* New qualifying standards for boys swimming and diving for the 2018-19 school year.
* Section I Executive Director Jen Simmons was approved as the cheerleading state coordinator for the 2018-19 school year.

Other

See how 2 Central NY police officers help man propose to his girlfriend (video) (PS; Doran)

Rome city police officers "pulled over" a couple in a green convertible Tuesday morning, telling the driver and passenger they'd received a call about a couple embroiled in a verbal dispute.

Officer David Salle asked the driver to exit the vehicle, which they pulled over in a parking lot. The other officer walked around to the passenger side to speak to a woman sitting in the front seat.

The woman had no idea it was all a setup.

She got out to talk to the officer and walked around to the back of the car.

There was her boyfriend, on one knee, holding out a small ring box.

The woman suddenly realized what was happening.

"Oh my God," she shouted.

She hugged her boyfriend and the couple didn't let go of each other.

Unsure for certain if she said yes or not, the officers shouted out "What's the answer?"

So now we can have on duty officers do personal services for us. Cool. Pick up my dry cleaning.