Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Happy-Flag-Day-2016.jpg
Welcome to Flag Day!

• The first version of the American flag came out in 1777, which displayed 13 stripes and 13 stars and since then there have been 27 official versions of it, reported the Huffington Post.
  • There is no evidence to prove Betsy Ross designed the first American flag. The only record to support this view came from her grandson in 1870 almost 100 years after the flag debuted, reported the Culture Trip.
  • The current 50 star pattern was created by 17-year-old high school student Robert G. Heft in 1958 for a class project and was chosen by President Dwight D. Eisenhower out of 1,500 entries.
  • The idea of celebrating Flag Day in the U.S. was presented by a teacher named Bernard Cigrand in 1885 in Wisconsin but it wasn’t until 1949 that Congress passed legislation marking it as a national holiday. However, it is a national holiday only in Pennsylvania, where the flag was officially created, reported History.
  • According to the explanation given by Charles Thomson, the Secretary of Congress, in 1782, the red in the national flag stands for valor and hardiness, blue stands for justice, perseverance, and vigilance while white stands for innocence and purity.
SU News

joe-rondi-33dda22c80736ca3.jpg

Syracuse Lands Second 2019 Recruit – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Hoppe)

Three-star defensive tackle Joe Rondi has verbally committed to Syracuse, according to his twitter account.

I am so blessed to be an orangemen!! #GOCUSE
pic.twitter.com/DSBiuiDrTm

— Joe Rondi (@joerondi61) June 14, 2018

Rondi, a New Jersey native, chose Syracuse over several schools, including Rutgers. Rondi is 6-foot-4, 250 pounds and is listed as a three-star recruit by 247Sports. Ranked as the 86th best defensive tackle in his class, Rondi also has the capabilities to play on the offensive line. Given his size and ability to bench 335-pounds as just a junior in high school, Rondi figures to hold his own at the power five level.

Big, athletic N.J. DL Joe Rondi earns 1st offer from RU (nj.com; Hunt)

Rutgers' pursuit of talented d-linemen continues as the staff releases it's third class of 2019 offer to a Wayne(N.J.) Hills recruit. Joe Rondi, a 6-4, 265-pounder, projects as a Power 5 three-technique, and now holds offers from Rutgers and Temple.

"(Wednesday) afternoon, I heard from coach Nunz(io Campanile) at Rutgers, and he was just telling me we just talked about you and we want to offer you," Rondi said. "It was amazing. He was telling me they are really hyped up and they really want me going there."

Rondi earned the offer by performing in front of the Rutgers staff during a workout in Oakland on Tuesday.

"I felt great. The drills felt awesome. I had never seen (defensive line) coach Corey Brown in that type of setting before, to show him what I can do," Rondi said. "I felt like it was really nice working in front of him, and that really helped us get to know each other. I felt good when he saw me. I felt really good that night."

Rutgers being first to offer could loom large throughout Rondi's recruitment, as well as its emphasis on academics.

CampAccountBanner_9ff28431eeef4c39a1d58c72e0dadda0.jpg

Wagner Seahawks — 2018 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in August, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2018 non-conference schedule when it plays the Wagner Seahawks on Sept. 8.

UNIQUE PATH: Something happened in April with Wagner football that hadn’t occurred in 53 years—they had a player taken in the NFL Draft. Offensive tackle Greg Senate was taken by the Baltimore Ravens in the sixth round, 212th overall, completing a unique path to the NFL. Senat started his career with the Seahawks on their basketball team, and was a four-year player on the court. But starting in 2016, he transitioned to football and became a starter, and eventually focused completely on football during 2017. With just two years of college experience, Senat wowed scouts with his blend of size, agility and strength, and joined Rich Kotite (18th round of the 1965 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings) as the only two players in school history to be drafted.

An in depth look at the Syracuse football schedule with predictions for all the games

Deal for bowl game at Wrigley Field close; ACC the likely opponent for Big Ten, sources say (chicagotribune.com; Greenstein)

The Cubs have made significant progress toward the creation of a college football bowl game at Wrigley Field and are close to nailing down a title sponsor and media partner, according to sources.

They hope to have the process wrapped up by the end of June for an annual game that would begin in the 2020 postseason.

But a key facet has yet to be determined, and there’s a chance it would threaten the game: The Cubs want one of the higher-rated Big Ten teams rather than, say, the conference’s sixth- or seventh-place team.

As far as the annual opponent, college football reporter Brett McMurphy reported it will come from the ACC. Sources told the Tribune that’s not a reality just yet, pointing to discussions with the SEC. But there’s at least a 95 percent chance the ACC will sign on.

Notre Dame is part of the ACC’s bowl lineup, but it would take an odd set of circumstances for the Irish to end up playing at Wrigley, according to sources.

McMurphy reported that the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee would approve a record 43 bowls, including the national championship game, and that the Wrigley game would likely replace the San Francisco Bowl (formerly the Foster Farms Bowl) that is played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

ACC Football Rx: On SU vs ND at Yankee Stadium 2018 (accfootballrx.com; HM)

Irish vs. Orange - in Brooklyn? Before you Syracuse fans freak out and say "we’re never going to play this series on campus again!", keep something in mind...

While the 2018 matchup between the Syracuse Orange and Notre Dame Fighting Irish has been moved to Yankee Stadium, the teams were originally scheduled to play in South Bend, IN - not Syracuse. The game was also originally set to be played in September, but the date was moved to November. Now, it’ll take place at the home of the Pinstripe Bowl, where the Orange are 2-0 and the "all-time champs" of the postseason event.

Yes, the Notre Dame series has been "weird". Yes, this will be the third neutral site in a row, with the previous two games (both Syracuse "home" games) taking place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. In fact, these teams haven’t played on either campus since 2008...

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2018/06/12/ranking-the-5-best-offensive-linemen-in-the-acc-for-2018/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; Fann)

Well here we go. It’s time to start ranking the best players in the ACC for the 2018 season. As usual we hope you enjoy the rankings.

1) Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
Mitch Hyatt was a 5 Star recruit, and 4 years later he’s lived up to every bit of the hype. He was a 1st or 2nd Team All-American last year, and enters 2018 as a pre-season All-American. He’s certain early round NFL pick. He’ll leave Clemson as one of the best offensive linemen they’ve ever had.

2) Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
Chris Lindstrom was Boston College’s highest graded offensive lineman last year, and was a 2nd team All-ACC pick. I’ve seen him projected as a middle to later round NFL pick. With a big season he could move into the 2nd or 3rd round. Lindstrom is considered a very strong run blocker.

3) Parker Braun, Georgia Tech
He’s the best offensive lineman at Georgia Tech since Shaq Mason. Parker Braun was a 2nd team All-ACC pick as a sophomore. He was freshman All-American 2 years ago and continues to be one of the better offensive linemen in the ACC.

4) Justin Falcinelli, Clemson
Justin Falcinelli is his first year starting at center at Clemson had a very strong season that resulted in an All-ACC season. College Football News named him an Honorable Mention All-American. What is senior going to do in his 2nd year starting?

5) Ryan Anderson, Wake Forest
Remember a couple of years ago, when Wake Forest had one of the worst offensive lines in the country? Now they feature one of the best offensive linemen in the ACC in Ryan Anderson. Anderson in 2017 was a 2nd team All-ACC pick at center. He was the anchor to an improved Wake Forest unit.

ACC Football Rx: ATT/TW Merger Approved by Judge (accfootabllrx.com; HM)

From TheBigLead: AT&T - Time Warner Decision Means They Will Be Players for NFL Rights, Comcast Will Battle Disney for Fox Assets
Federal judge Richard Leon ruled [Tuesday, 6/12/18] that AT&T’s purchase of Time Warner can go through without conditions, and it will have an absolutely seismic effect on the future of live sports rights in America and beyond.

First, you can expect the new conglomerate, which includes DirecTV and Turner Sports, to be a major player in NFL rightsin the next cycle. All of the league’s rights are up in 2021 or 2022.David Levy, head of Turner Sports, has already said on the record a year ago he’d be interested in adding an NFL package. The company already has rights to DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket, in addition to March Madness, NBA, and Champions League. This decision also emboldens Bleacher Report’s new BR Live OTT app.

Secondly, Comcast is going to make a big cash bid for the 21st Century Fox assets that Disney had agreed to buy. These assets include the wildly profitable regional sports networks, which combine to air about half of the local MLB, NBA, and NHL rights. (They also include Star India, which is a major player in cricket rights.)

Now it is expected that we will find out if Fox shareholders would more prefer more cash upfront for the assets, which they’d have to pay capital gains taxes on, or instead rather the assets join Disney in an arms race against Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon. Or, maybe the baby gets split and various assets wind up with Comcast and others end up with Disney. Who knows. That’s why they play the games.

Other

9a7_poststandardbuildingrendering1.jpg

Rendering shows what the former Post-Standard building in Syracuse's Clinton Square will look like after VIP Structures adds three floors onto the front of the building and gives the structure a new facade

Renderings reveal planned new look for former Post-Standard building in Clinton Square (PS; Moriarty)

VIP Structures plans to add three floors to the front of the former Post-Standard building in Syracuse's Clinton Square and give the structure a new facade. When it's finished, the building will have three floors of office space and two floors of apartments.

Happy-Flag-Day-2016.jpg
Welcome to Flag Day!

• The first version of the American flag came out in 1777, which displayed 13 stripes and 13 stars and since then there have been 27 official versions of it, reported the Huffington Post.
  • There is no evidence to prove Betsy Ross designed the first American flag. The only record to support this view came from her grandson in 1870 almost 100 years after the flag debuted, reported the Culture Trip.
  • The current 50 star pattern was created by 17-year-old high school student Robert G. Heft in 1958 for a class project and was chosen by President Dwight D. Eisenhower out of 1,500 entries.
  • The idea of celebrating Flag Day in the U.S. was presented by a teacher named Bernard Cigrand in 1885 in Wisconsin but it wasn’t until 1949 that Congress passed legislation marking it as a national holiday. However, it is a national holiday only in Pennsylvania, where the flag was officially created, reported History.
  • According to the explanation given by Charles Thomson, the Secretary of Congress, in 1782, the red in the national flag stands for valor and hardiness, blue stands for justice, perseverance, and vigilance while white stands for innocence and purity.
SU News

joe-rondi-33dda22c80736ca3.jpg

Syracuse Lands Second 2019 Recruit – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Hoppe)

Three-star defensive tackle Joe Rondi has verbally committed to Syracuse, according to his twitter account.

I am so blessed to be an orangemen!! #GOCUSE
pic.twitter.com/DSBiuiDrTm

— Joe Rondi (@joerondi61) June 14, 2018

Rondi, a New Jersey native, chose Syracuse over several schools, including Rutgers. Rondi is 6-foot-4, 250 pounds and is listed as a three-star recruit by 247Sports. Ranked as the 86th best defensive tackle in his class, Rondi also has the capabilities to play on the offensive line. Given his size and ability to bench 335-pounds as just a junior in high school, Rondi figures to hold his own at the power five level.

Big, athletic N.J. DL Joe Rondi earns 1st offer from RU (nj.com; Hunt)

Rutgers' pursuit of talented d-linemen continues as the staff releases it's third class of 2019 offer to a Wayne(N.J.) Hills recruit. Joe Rondi, a 6-4, 265-pounder, projects as a Power 5 three-technique, and now holds offers from Rutgers and Temple.

"(Wednesday) afternoon, I heard from coach Nunz(io Campanile) at Rutgers, and he was just telling me we just talked about you and we want to offer you," Rondi said. "It was amazing. He was telling me they are really hyped up and they really want me going there."

Rondi earned the offer by performing in front of the Rutgers staff during a workout in Oakland on Tuesday.

"I felt great. The drills felt awesome. I had never seen (defensive line) coach Corey Brown in that type of setting before, to show him what I can do," Rondi said. "I felt like it was really nice working in front of him, and that really helped us get to know each other. I felt good when he saw me. I felt really good that night."

Rutgers being first to offer could loom large throughout Rondi's recruitment, as well as its emphasis on academics.

CampAccountBanner_9ff28431eeef4c39a1d58c72e0dadda0.jpg

Wagner Seahawks — 2018 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in August, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2018 non-conference schedule when it plays the Wagner Seahawks on Sept. 8.

UNIQUE PATH: Something happened in April with Wagner football that hadn’t occurred in 53 years—they had a player taken in the NFL Draft. Offensive tackle Greg Senate was taken by the Baltimore Ravens in the sixth round, 212th overall, completing a unique path to the NFL. Senat started his career with the Seahawks on their basketball team, and was a four-year player on the court. But starting in 2016, he transitioned to football and became a starter, and eventually focused completely on football during 2017. With just two years of college experience, Senat wowed scouts with his blend of size, agility and strength, and joined Rich Kotite (18th round of the 1965 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings) as the only two players in school history to be drafted.

An in depth look at the Syracuse football schedule with predictions for all the games

Deal for bowl game at Wrigley Field close; ACC the likely opponent for Big Ten, sources say (chicagotribune.com; Greenstein)

The Cubs have made significant progress toward the creation of a college football bowl game at Wrigley Field and are close to nailing down a title sponsor and media partner, according to sources.

They hope to have the process wrapped up by the end of June for an annual game that would begin in the 2020 postseason.

But a key facet has yet to be determined, and there’s a chance it would threaten the game: The Cubs want one of the higher-rated Big Ten teams rather than, say, the conference’s sixth- or seventh-place team.

As far as the annual opponent, college football reporter Brett McMurphy reported it will come from the ACC. Sources told the Tribune that’s not a reality just yet, pointing to discussions with the SEC. But there’s at least a 95 percent chance the ACC will sign on.

Notre Dame is part of the ACC’s bowl lineup, but it would take an odd set of circumstances for the Irish to end up playing at Wrigley, according to sources.

McMurphy reported that the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee would approve a record 43 bowls, including the national championship game, and that the Wrigley game would likely replace the San Francisco Bowl (formerly the Foster Farms Bowl) that is played at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.

ACC Football Rx: On SU vs ND at Yankee Stadium 2018 (accfootballrx.com; HM)

Irish vs. Orange - in Brooklyn? Before you Syracuse fans freak out and say "we’re never going to play this series on campus again!", keep something in mind...

While the 2018 matchup between the Syracuse Orange and Notre Dame Fighting Irish has been moved to Yankee Stadium, the teams were originally scheduled to play in South Bend, IN - not Syracuse. The game was also originally set to be played in September, but the date was moved to November. Now, it’ll take place at the home of the Pinstripe Bowl, where the Orange are 2-0 and the "all-time champs" of the postseason event.

Yes, the Notre Dame series has been "weird". Yes, this will be the third neutral site in a row, with the previous two games (both Syracuse "home" games) taking place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey. In fact, these teams haven’t played on either campus since 2008...

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2018/06/12/ranking-the-5-best-offensive-linemen-in-the-acc-for-2018/ (allsportsdiscussion.com; Fann)

Well here we go. It’s time to start ranking the best players in the ACC for the 2018 season. As usual we hope you enjoy the rankings.

1) Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
Mitch Hyatt was a 5 Star recruit, and 4 years later he’s lived up to every bit of the hype. He was a 1st or 2nd Team All-American last year, and enters 2018 as a pre-season All-American. He’s certain early round NFL pick. He’ll leave Clemson as one of the best offensive linemen they’ve ever had.

2) Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
Chris Lindstrom was Boston College’s highest graded offensive lineman last year, and was a 2nd team All-ACC pick. I’ve seen him projected as a middle to later round NFL pick. With a big season he could move into the 2nd or 3rd round. Lindstrom is considered a very strong run blocker.

3) Parker Braun, Georgia Tech
He’s the best offensive lineman at Georgia Tech since Shaq Mason. Parker Braun was a 2nd team All-ACC pick as a sophomore. He was freshman All-American 2 years ago and continues to be one of the better offensive linemen in the ACC.

4) Justin Falcinelli, Clemson
Justin Falcinelli is his first year starting at center at Clemson had a very strong season that resulted in an All-ACC season. College Football News named him an Honorable Mention All-American. What is senior going to do in his 2nd year starting?

5) Ryan Anderson, Wake Forest
Remember a couple of years ago, when Wake Forest had one of the worst offensive lines in the country? Now they feature one of the best offensive linemen in the ACC in Ryan Anderson. Anderson in 2017 was a 2nd team All-ACC pick at center. He was the anchor to an improved Wake Forest unit.

ACC Football Rx: ATT/TW Merger Approved by Judge (accfootabllrx.com; HM)

From TheBigLead: AT&T - Time Warner Decision Means They Will Be Players for NFL Rights, Comcast Will Battle Disney for Fox Assets
Federal judge Richard Leon ruled [Tuesday, 6/12/18] that AT&T’s purchase of Time Warner can go through without conditions, and it will have an absolutely seismic effect on the future of live sports rights in America and beyond.

First, you can expect the new conglomerate, which includes DirecTV and Turner Sports, to be a major player in NFL rightsin the next cycle. All of the league’s rights are up in 2021 or 2022.David Levy, head of Turner Sports, has already said on the record a year ago he’d be interested in adding an NFL package. The company already has rights to DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket, in addition to March Madness, NBA, and Champions League. This decision also emboldens Bleacher Report’s new BR Live OTT app.

Secondly, Comcast is going to make a big cash bid for the 21st Century Fox assets that Disney had agreed to buy. These assets include the wildly profitable regional sports networks, which combine to air about half of the local MLB, NBA, and NHL rights. (They also include Star India, which is a major player in cricket rights.)

Now it is expected that we will find out if Fox shareholders would more prefer more cash upfront for the assets, which they’d have to pay capital gains taxes on, or instead rather the assets join Disney in an arms race against Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon. Or, maybe the baby gets split and various assets wind up with Comcast and others end up with Disney. Who knows. That’s why they play the games.

Other

9a7_poststandardbuildingrendering1.jpg

Rendering shows what the former Post-Standard building in Syracuse's Clinton Square will look like after VIP Structures adds three floors onto the front of the building and gives the structure a new facade

Renderings reveal planned new look for former Post-Standard building in Clinton Square (PS; Moriarty)

VIP Structures plans to add three floors to the front of the former Post-Standard building in Syracuse's Clinton Square and give the structure a new facade. When it's finished, the building will have three floors of office space and two floors of apartments.
I didn't realize Yankee Stadium had been moved to Brooklyn.

Is it just me, or is the rendering of the former Post Standard building so ugly that it's officially yoogly?

Is it just me, or is the rendering of the former Post Standard building so ugly that it's officially yoogly?
It is a shame such a prominent location in the city is occupied by such an awful looking building. What a waste of prime real estate.
The only thing that can fix that building is a wrecking ball.