Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
aa_kate.jpg

Welcome
to Different Colored Eyes Day!

Today we celebrate heterochromia, a condition that often gives people two different colored eyes. For example, one may be green while the other is brown. There are a few causes of heterochromia. For eleven out of every 1,000 people, it is genetic and they are born with it, while others get it from disease or injury. An eye exam can usually find out its cause. Not only do humans have it, but some animals do as well, particularly dogs and cats. While rare with humans, it is common with some breeds of dogs, such as dalmations and Australian sheepdogs.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Dino Babers is on life support heading into 2018 (itlh.com; Esden Sr)

Here’s why Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers is on life support and if he doesn’t do something in 2018, he could be on the street looking for work.

Paul A. Esden Sr. is back! So I am not going to ease back into writing articles for Inside the Loud House in a quiet way I am here demanding results from the 2018 Orange Squad. It is time for Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers to S*&% or get off the pot. In this humble writers opinion it would be hard for him to sit as that seat should be RED HOT!!!!!

This article will be a series previewing the Ninth Life (my name for this season as this cat has definitely gone through its’ first eight).

Before we move forward, let’s harken back to days of yesteryear … when men were men and the Syracuse Orange ruled the gridiron.

It wasn’t that long ago (2004 to be exact) that we as a fan base and a community were spoiled by our squad. That is the year that we fired Paul Pasqualoni for having back-to-back 6-6 seasons which did not meet our vision of success. The past four seasons have yielded records of (3-9), (4-8), (4-8), and (4-8).

Why Louisville football can (and can’t) beat Syracuse (courier-journal.com; Lourim)

This is the 10th in a series breaking down every game on Louisville’s 2018 football schedule and analyzing how the Cardinals can beat each opponent, and how they can lose to each opponent.

Scouting report: Syracuse

Coach Dino Babers closed last season by saying that 2017 was the “beginning” and that “the 2018 season is going to be something that we’re going to be talking about here for a long, long time.” The Orange have shown flashes under Babers but haven’t gotten on a roll, finishing 4-8 in each of two injury-plagued seasons.

Quarterback Eric Dungey is healthy and finished second behind Lamar Jackson in the ACC in passing yards per game last year, but he only played nine games. If he stays on the field in his final season, Syracuse should take the final jump and reach a bowl game. Both of his top receivers, Steve Ishmael and Ervin Philips, are gone, and Dungey himself was the leading rusher last season. The development of another playmaker, such as Moe Neal, would help.

How Louisville can beat Syracuse

So there’s really no way Lamar Jackson can play in this game? Because that would really help. Jackson makes a lot of teams look bad, but he made Syracuse look silly. In two starts, he produced 991 total yards — and one famous hurdle — and Louisville averaged 59 points.

Ross Cockrell on ACC football: "From top to bottom, we have a really good league" - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger; podcast; David Glenn show)

After a solid four-year career at Duke (2010-13), which included two first team All-ACC selections, Ross Cockrell has evolved into a solid NFL player. A fourth round pick back in 2014 by the Buffalo Bills, Cockrell has spent time with the Bills, Steelers and Giants. He’s played in 54 career games; over the last three seasons, he’s started 32 times.

After picking off a career-high three passes in 2017 with New York, Cockrell signed as a free agent with his hometown team: the Carolina Panthers.

On Tuesday this week, Cockrell joined guest hosts David Shumate and Dave Harding — one of Cockrell’s former teammates at Duke — to talk about being back home with the Panthers, a change of ownership with the franchise and his experience playing in the ACC.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/...es-new-duke-lineman-receives-go-ahead-to-play (thetimesnews.com)

Son of SU alum David Wohlabaugh

Duke redshirt sophomore center Jack Wohlabaugh, who transferred into the football program from Ohio State in January, will be eligible for competition this season after the NCAA approved a waiver request for immediate eligibility, the school announced Wednesday.

A 6-foot-4, 300-pound product of Akron, Ohio, has three seasons of eligibility remaining, Wohlabaugh participated in spring practice with the Blue Devils and exited drills as the second-string center behind redshirt senior Zach Harmon, according to the school.

Duke is replacing two-year starting center Austin Davis, who served as a team captain and earned third team All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors as a redshirt senior in 2017. Harmon has 22 career starting assignments at either left or right offensive guard.

Wohlabaugh spent the 2016 and 2017 seasons with the Ohio State program, but never played in a game.

College football summer reading list: ACC edition (yardbarker.com; Buskirk)

“Dungey & DeVito, QBs for Hire” by Dino Babers

Depth at quarterback is part of the reason Syracuse will likely end a four-year bowl game drought this fall. Senior QB Eric Dungey returns with three years of starting experience, and just in case his health is an issue yet again, redshirt freshman Tommy DeVito will be waiting in the wings. DeVito is hailed as the most accurate signal caller in the quarterback room, so that’s nice insurance.

The veteran offensive line should improve first-down running production, allowing 'Cuse to make more of the playbook. A postseason appearance would help Babers with a contract extension, but Syracuse must beware of November: the Orange are 1-15 over the last four seasons during that deadly month.

ACC Football Rx: Ideal Schedule - Syracuse (accfootballrx.com; HM)

Ideal Schedule - Syracuse

What's the ideal schedule for the storied Orange football team? Here's my stab at it...

Penn State
Boston College
W Virginia
Pitt
Rutgers/Temple
Maryland/Navy
Army
Miami/FSU
Duke/Wake
Northwestern
Va Tech/Louisville
So Cal/Notre Dame

The must have opponents are PSU, BC, probably Pitt and WVU. You'd like a presence in Philly and NJ, hence the Rutgers/Temple rotation. I also have a rotation between Maryland and Navy, but Army gets the annual foe nod thanks to being in-state. Some schools made the list because they were similar institutions. I figure a rotation between VT and UL might be better than all Cardinals all the time.

Is it ideal? IDK, but it's all I've got... you think you know better? LEAVE A COMMENT!

Other

736_syracusechiefsnbtbankstadium.jpeg

Syracuse Chiefs will be changing name, logo soon; How has it gone for other teams? (PS; Kramer)

The Syracuse Chiefs, in their first year under new ownership by the New York Mets this season, have announced plans to change their name in 2019. That's when the Mets will first put their Triple-A prospects on NBT Bank Stadium field.
The Chiefs can't reveal their new name or logo until after the season, but there's a good chance both will be very Mets-centric.
Syracuse will become one of many minor league baseball teams that has revamped its look in the past several years. Here's a review of the new branding some other franchises have recently tried.
What do you think should be the new name of the Chiefs? Leave your suggestions in the comments section below.

Four years ago Today we Lost Orangeyes. RIP Dan Johnson.:(
RIP Dan. We play in your honor ten days hence!
It's hard for me to get to Syracuse to play in the tournament. But whenever I remember Dan at FINE MESS, I think of the FB game we attended together 4+ years ago. My wife had a conflict so I gave Dan the other ticket. He took us to a loading dock area clearly not intended for public entry, and we were just "waived" in. Then in the seats, Dan had conversations going with 3-4 people at a time. Before the second quarter was completed, people were buying us Dome beers and Dan had struck up friendships with half the section.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to get to Syracuse to play in the tournament. But whenever I remember Dan at FINE MESS, I think of the FB game we attended together 4+ years ago. My wife had a conflict so I gave Dan the other ticket. He took us to a loading dock area clearly not intended for public entry, and we were just "waived" in. Then in the seats, Dan had conversations going with 3-4 people at a time. Before the second quarter was completed, people were buying us Dome beers and Dan had struck up friendships with half the section.
That is how Dan rolled! He has to be the most outgoing and fun loving person I have ever met.

There is a frightening amount of stupid in today's linked articles.

I read the first sentence bolded in black and knew it was a ridiculous waste of my time to read the rest.