Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
original-737112-1.jpg

Welcome to Bubble Gum Day!

Today is Bubble Gum Day. On this day, kids bring 50 cents to school, and donate it to a good cause. In exchange, they can chew bubble gum in school on this day. The school selects in advance, what cause the donations will go to. Ruth Spiro, the creator, wanted to have a day where kids can simply participate in donating, without constantly selling things. She says that since its creation, Bubble Gum Day has become a sweet success!

Bubble Gum Day was originally established for schools. But, libraries, clubs and community groups can and do participate. Even businesses are encouraged to hold a Bubble Gum Day event.

The date of this event was established on the first Friday of February, rather than a set date. This is so it will occur on a school day. Some websites, who have not researched this day, erroneously report it on a fixed date.

We hope you have a successful fundraiser on Bubble Gum Day.

SU News

Could Dino Babers Lead Syracuse Football To An ACC Title? (1045theteam.com; radio; Goz)

All week long Levack and Goz are broadcasting live from radio row at the Georgia Congress Center in Atlanta, Georgia. The guys were joined by former Syracuse Orange standout and NFL player Cam Lynch. Lynch is pursuing a post playing career in sports broadcasting. What could be the pivotal match up that could decide the winner in this weekend's Super Bowl match up?
When did Lynch realize he wanted to get into the broadcasting field? Did his former experiences doing "Cam's Corner" during his playing college days, grow his interest in the field? Does he believe Syracuse football one day could win an ACC championship under head coach Dino Babers? Plus what would it mean to the Orange program if ESPN's College Gameday broadcasted from Central New York this upcoming September?

Syracuse football's Sam Heckel fights a rare blood disease to get on the field

Jim Anderson, part of Syracuse football 1959 national title team, has died at 81 (PS; Mink)

Jim Anderson, a three-time letterwinner and member of Syracuse football’s only national championship team in 1959, died earlier this month at the age of 81.

Anderson, a 1955 Oneonta High School alumnus, taught history and coached football and track at Sayre Area High School in Pennsylvania before working in real estate in Texas and retiring to Arizona. He died Jan. 4 after a battle with colon cancer, according to an obituary posted Wednesday night.

Sports consumed his life, whether it was stickball with his friends, boxing for the Golden Gloves title, basketball, baseball, golf and, of course, football.

Anderson also had a passion for gardening and cooking. He had three sisters, and he and his wife Karen raised three daughters over 58 years of marriage.

A ceremony celebrating his life is scheduled for 11 a.m., June 22, at Bookhout Funeral Home in Oneonta.

Ed Hardin: Remembering Debbie Yow's 'unprecedented success' at N.C. State (greensboro.com; Hardin)

N.C. State wasted no time in announcing a replacement for Debbie Yow, a pioneering athletics director and a Guilford County legend.

She will be missed. In fact, she was missed during this morning’s announcement that Army athletics director Boo Corrigan would be taking over May 1.

Yow responded in a gracious email that she’s leaving earlier than planned, but she also made clear that today was about Corrigan and not about her.

Some of us would beg to differ.

“My retirement has been planned for years, based on the last contract signed,” she wrote from her office in a building adjacent to Reynolds Coliseum, where Corrigan was introduced. “Nothing changed except I will be leaving 10 weeks earlier. That way, Boo and the chancellor can begin working together a bit sooner than originally thought possible and get a jump on the major initiatives for the 2019-20 year.

“From an etiquette perspective, it is right that Boo was the focus of the press conference today, not me. It is his day as our new hire for AD.”

Who will be the ACC Network's version of Paul Finebaum? (scacchoops.com; JFann)

I think it is going to be Mark Packer...

With the ACC Network launch not that far off… just a little over 7 months to go, I’ve wondered who will be the ACC Network’s version of Paul Finebaum? Would they even have one?

It looks like the answer is yes there will be an ACC Network version of SEC Network’s Paul Finebaum.

This was from an ACC Network article in the NSJOnline.

The conference plans to hire a personality to be the “face” of the ACC Network, similar to Paul Finebaum on the SEC Network.

Finebaum was a big regional SEC radio hosts, that become the face of the SEC Network. I lean toward personalities that are already on the radio getting this gig.

We have speculated this in the past, but who are the most likely candidates? I pull their bios from their twitter accounts.

@WesDurham

Voice of @atlantafalcons & ACC Net / @foxsportssouth Co-host #ACCCentral@SXMCollege

His ACC radio show with @MarkPacker makes him a candidate.

@MarkPacker

Host “Off Campus” on ESPNU Radio on SiriusXM 84 & “ACC Central” on SiriusXM 371

Packer is well known radio personality, and is from Clemson University. The ACC Network could do a lot worse than just keeping Wes and Mark together.

@DavidGlennShow

Largest NC sports talk ever! 20+ AM/FM signals, 250+ cities/towns. NC/ACC/NCAA guru, Sportscaster of Year.

@Chris_Spatola ?

analyst @ESPN | host @SIRIUSXM | contributor @TheAthleticCBB

Spatola also has an ACC radio show on SIRIUS XM.

Who else do you think could be candidates?

In addition from a recent ACC Network article from the the Orlando Sentinel.

Swofford said its full speed ahead on the channel and early work getting added by various cable and satellite TV providers is going well.

Things just keep moving full speed ahead on the ACC Network.

Kelly Bryant planning to stay put at Missouri amid NCAA fallout, source says (hearaldonline.com; Connolly)

Kelly Bryant announced in December that he will play his final season of eligibility at Missouri. Despite the Tigers getting hit Thursday with a postseason ban for the 2019 season, Bryant is planning to stay put at Missouri, according to a source close to the quarterback.

The former Clemson quarterback is already in Missouri and taking part in offseason workouts.

The NCAA handed one-year postseason bans and other penalties to Missouri’s football, baseball and softball programs on Thursday after a two-year investigation revealed academic misconduct involving a tutor.

1549022820813.png

ACC Football Rx: Links, news and rumors - 2/1/19 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 2/1/19

Odds of winning next year's national championship...
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

RedditCFB

@RedditCFB
Early betting odds for every FBS team to win the 2020 #CFBPlayoff (h/t @lindetrain).

11:38 AM - Jan 30, 2019
416 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Meddling politicians...

RedditCFB

@RedditCFB
North Carolina governor asks Virginia gov to encourage Virginia Tech officials to resolve dispute with East Carolina; VT canceled 3 future games in Greenville that ECU says is retaliation for Pirates canceling a game at VT as Hurricane Florence approached: NC Gov. Cooper: Governor Cooper Urges Resolution of ECU/Virginia Tech Football Series Dispute

2:35 PM - Jan 31, 2019
NC Gov. Cooper: Governor Cooper Urges Resolution of ECU/Virginia Tech Football Series Dispute
Governor Roy Cooper is working to encourage resolution of a football scheduling dispute between East Carolina University and Virginia Tech that arose following cancellation of a game due to Hurricane...

governor.nc.gov
See RedditCFB's other Tweets

Stewart Mandel says it's because the NCAA is still mad at UNC...

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy
Missouri receives one-year postseason ban for football from NCAA for academic scandal Former Missouri tutor completed coursework for 12 student-athletes

12:36 PM - Jan 31, 2019

Former Missouri tutor completed coursework for 12 student-athletes
A former University of Missouri, Columbia, tutor violated NCAA ethical conduct, academic misconduct and academic extra benefits rules when she completed academic work for 12 student-athletes.

ncaa.org
55 people are talking about this

Adam Kramer says "In a a gesture of solidarity with Missouri, Rutgers has also agreed to sit out the 2019 postseason."

ACC Football Rx: More Recruiting Links - 1/31/19 (RX; HM)

All 50 states, ranked by their percentage of 2019’s blue-chip football recruits
Mississippi and Kentucky are having unusually good years (for them) as far as producing blue-chip players. On the other hand, Pennsylvania and Florida are both down this year. However, if we look at the average of the last 7 years, some of the noise is filtered out...

The best blue-chip talent states from 2013-19
State Number Percent
Florida 337 15.30%
Texas 321 14.60%
California 295 13.40%
Georgia 221 10.00%
Ohio 104 4.70%
Louisiana 101 4.60%
Alabama 83 3.80%
North Carolina 78 3.50%
Virginia 72 3.30%
Tennessee 67 3.00%
Pennsylvania 60 2.70%
New Jersey 58 2.60%
Mississippi 57 2.60%
Maryland 53 2.40%
Michigan 51 2.30%

The key takeaway: 76 percent of America’s blue-chip recruits are in 10 states. And 89 percent are in those top 15.

ACC Football Rx: Final 2019 National Championship TV Numbers (RX; HM)

From ESPN MediaZone U.S. Press Release: "2019 Alabama-Clemson College Football Playoff National Championship is Most Watched of Their Three Head-to-Head Title Contests" by Derek Volner, posted on January 29, 2019
Final Total Live Audience Tops Out at Nearly 27 Million Viewers
Out-of-Home and Additional Streaming Reporting Adds 1.7 Million Viewers to Previously Reported Championship Game Audience
New Year’s Six Most-Watched Among Non-New Year’s Day Semifinal Seasons
The year’s College Football Playoff National Championship featuring Alabama and Clemson (January 7, 2019) averaged nearly 27 million viewers and is the most-watched of their three head-to-head CFP National Championship games based on final Nielsen reporting, which now includes out-of-home viewing and computer/mobile streaming.
The final Nielsen total live audience is 26,979,000 viewers for the Tigers’ 44-16 victory in the fifth CFP National Championship, up 3% and 2% from the Nielsen final reported audience for the second (January 11, 2016) and third (January 9, 2017) CFP National Championship games, respectively. This season’s championship audience also surpassed the previous two matchups despite Clemson’s decisive 28-point victory, which was the largest margin of victory for any college football national championship game since 2005*.

Out-of-Home Viewing Adds 1.3 Million Viewers to CFP National Championship Audience; Computer/Mobile Streaming an Additional 400K. Nielsen out-of-home reporting added 1.3 million viewers to the previously reported audience of 25,280,000, which accounted for ESPN’s MegaCast** and a portion of the streaming audience. Further Nielsen reporting of mobile and computer streaming contributed another 399,000 viewers, resulting in nearly 27 million viewers for the game.

Among Most-Watched Cable Telecasts All-Time. The 2019 CFP National Championship was already a top 10 most-watched cable telecast based on the initial Nielsen reporting. With the new measured audience, the game ranks as the No. 7 most-watched cable telecast ever. All five CFP National Championship games rank in the top 10.

Other

B2RYJQDNYFDCJN27LTHSRAPB3E.jpeg

New alcoholic drink made in CNY making a splash in Super Bowl commercial (PS; Herbert)

A new alcoholic drink made in Central New York is set to make a splash during the 2019 Super Bowl.

BON & VIV Spiked Seltzer will make its debut in a 30-second commercial during Super Bowl LIII on Sunday, Feb. 3. Two mermaids named “Bonnie” and “Vivian” will introduce the new lower-calorie, sugar-free take on the original hard seltzer, manufactured at the Anheuser-Busch Budweiser plant in Baldwinsville, N.Y.

The ad, titled “The Pitch,” will show two mermaid entrepreneurs pitching their alcoholic drink to underwater investors in a “Shark Tank” spoof. They admit a tasty spiked seltzer with just 90 calories, 0 grams of sugar, and 4.5% alcohol (slightly higher than the average beer) “seems too good to be true,” but assure the sharks “the myth is real.”

Last edited:
Mark Packer is too nice of a guy if the ACC is going to look at a Finebaum-type personality.

Mark Packer is too nice of a guy if the ACC is going to look at a Finebaum-type personality.

1. I don't like Finebaum, and I hope the ACC doesn't try to get a guy "just like him"
2. Packer can be aggressive when the situation calls for it - I've worked with him off air / behind the scenes; trust me on this. He's nice to callers -- but not to everybody.

1. I don't like Finebaum, and I hope the ACC doesn't try to get a guy "just like him"
2. Packer can be aggressive when the situation calls for it - I've worked with him off air / behind the scenes; trust me on this. He's nice to callers -- but not to everybody.
It will be really interesting to see what the A C and ESPN do here. I am not a fan of Finebaum and don’t listen to him a lot but he does a very good job defending/promoting the SEC, often in a condescending but thoughtful way.

I listen to Mark on the ESPN college radio show (it says ESPNU on my radio) a lot. He is very polished and professional and does a good job taking questions from callers. I find his interviews a little fluffy; seems a lot of his guests are good friends of his. But he is engaging and I rarely change the channel when he is on the air. He seems pretty unbiased in his comments. There is a strong focus on Clemson football and Duke and UNC hoops but that is probably justified given their accomplishments in recent years.

Haven’t heard David Glenn.

Not a fan of Wes Durham. His basketball color work is uninformed and highly biased towards Southern members.

I think the closest thing we might have to Finebaum might be Adam Schein, but he is with CBS now. The southern schools would hate him but he might drive high ratings until he gets shot. Bring back Danny Parkins!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom