Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Lupus Day!

The World Lupus Federation invites everyone around the world to participate in the 16th annual observance of World Lupus Day.

A global health problem, lupus affects people of all nationalities, races, ethnicity, gender and age. Lupus can affect any part of the body in any way at any time, often with unpredictable and life-changing results. While lupus knows no boundaries, knowing all you can about lupus can help control its impact.

SU News

Highlights: Syracuse DT Chris Slayton (giants.com; video)

Highlights: Syracuse DT Chris Slayton
Watch Highlights of Syracuse DT Chris Slayton, the Giants' seventh round pick

Jim Sumner: How Far Can Duke Football Go This Fall? (DBR; Sumner)

We’ve looked at Duke football over the last few weeks, examining different position groups, some with more experience than the others, some with more depth, some with more talent.

Will the whole be greater than the sum of their parts?

That’s the question almost every football team is asking itself during this murky period between the conclusion of spring football and the start of fall football, a time when players break into smaller groups, running, lifting weights, maximizing their strengths and working on their weaknesses.

Duke lost talent but that applies to almost everyone. David Cutcliffe has a mature program and mature programs almost always recruit well enough that they have some senior starters every season.

Cutcliffe will begin his 12th season at Duke and it’s impossible to evaluate his program without acknowledging the train wreck he inherited. Duke won 18 games in the eight seasons preceding Cutcliffe’s arrival in Durham, 67 in the 11 seasons since.

Cutcliffe has done things at Duke many believed impossible. And he’s done it without compromising Duke’s academic standards. Just this week it was announced that Duke football had a 992 out of 1,000 on the NCAA’s Academic Progress Report, trailing only Air Force and Northwestern.

ACC Aces 2018-19 APR (RX; HM)

From the ACC official website:

ACC FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, BASEBALL LEAD NCAA’S APR DATA
Atlantic Coast Conference teams continue to stand out among those from Division I colleges and universities that meet standards and excel academically, as evidenced by the annual Academic Progress Rate (APR) team data released by the NCAA on Wednesday.

Each Division I institution is held accountable for the academic progress of its student-athletes through the APR, a team-based metric that accounts for the eligibility and retention of each scholarship student-athlete, each term.

Current ACC Highlights include:

All 58 ACC football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball and baseball programs exceed the required 930 APR average

Men’s Basketball: 10 ACC teams have an APR above the Division I average 967 (most among peer conferences and three more than the next-closest Power 5 league)

Football: 11 ACC teams have an APR above the Division I average 968 (ties for most among peer conferences)

Women’s Basketball: 10 teams have an APR above the Division I average (most among peer conferences)

Baseball: 13 of 14 ACC teams have an APR above the average (most among peer conferences, and four more than the next-closest Power 5 league)

First Meetings, ACC teams (RX; HM)

Is the ACC merely a collection of random teams left behind by conference realignment - a band of misfits, as some might try to paint it? Or is it a conference composed of long-time rivals who chose to play each other long before realignment made them part of the ACC?

In the past we've only examined number of times teams have played each other - but we found that most ACC teams have several "most-played opponents" within the conference [LINK].

Today we'll look at when each possible pair of ACC teams played each other in football for the first time to see just how old some of these ACC series really are...

But before I present my findings, a word of caution: you'd think something as basic as the year two teams played for the first time would be simple enough, but this college football - where one team can be ranked higher than the team that whipped it head-to-head; nothing is as simple as it ought to be! What I found was that one team would count a game with another school's club team, while the other only considers the series beginning when both schools were in division I-A. In the end, I settled on the latter definition - which means some very old games were tossed out.

Now, with your expectations sufficiently tempered, here's my table of first games:

First Games: BC CU Duke FSU GT UL UM UNC NCSU Pitt SU UVA VT WFU
Boston Col. 1939 2006 1957 1972 1986 1955 1981 2005 1959 1944 1963 1993 1941
Clemson 1939 1934 1970 1902 2014 1945 1903 1902 1977 1995 1955 1906 1933
Duke 2006 1934 1992 1933 2002 1976 1922 1924 1929 1938 1923 1937 1922
Florida St. 1957 1970 1992 1955 1970 1955 1983 1954 1971 1966 1992 1955 1956

chase-brice-clemson-quarterback-recruiting-trevor-lawrence.jpg

Clemson Football: Is Chase Brice the second best QB in the ACC? (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

for gbo

Is Clemson football quarterback Chase Brice the second best QB in the ACC? One could certainly make an argument for the redshirt sophomore.
Chase Brice is the best backup quarterback in the nation.

The redshirt sophomore is returning to Clemson football after playing an important role in the Tigers’ 2018 National Championship.

As has been noted, the Tigers may not even be in the CFB Playoff had it not been for Brice. Chase Brice stepped in during the Syracuse game after Trevor Lawrence went down with a game-ending injury. Brice was a bit shaky at first, but settled in and led Clemson to a comeback victory.

One of the highlights of the game happened in the fourth quarter on the game-winning drive when Brice, who was facing pressure, delivered a perfect ball to the sideline to Tee Higgins on fourth down. Had the ball fell incomplete, Clemson football would’ve lost.

Instead, the Tigers scored and ended up holding on for the late-game victory.

With the win under his belt, Brice looked different from then on out. When he got playing time, he made the most of it and played with a great confidence.

Other

FGRJBJFMP5EVXAK3HM7UUFUP4E.JPG

Syracuse takes steps to address uncertainty over 5G wireless network (PS; Weiner)

Syracuse officials negotiated the right to conduct on-demand safety inspections of a new generation of cell phone antennas as part of a plan to become one of America’s first cities connected by a 5G wireless network.

The city insisted on including such added layers of protection because of public concerns surrounding the new technology, said Greg Loh, Syracuse’s chief policy officer.

Loh disclosed the agreement to Syracuse.com | The Post-Standard at a time when the Syracuse Common Council and some health advocates are questioning the safety of 5G technology.

The council asked for more safety information this week when it delayed acting on a deal that would allow Verizon to install 600 small cell antennas on city-owned light poles over the next six years.

Verizon and federal regulators say the new 5G (5th generation) technology is safe. They say the technology is no different than baby monitors, Wi-Fi routers, Bluetooth, and other devices that have used a radio frequency signal for decades.

Twenty-three American cities are working with Verizon to bring the new technology to their residents.

But a handful of cities have balked.

Some cities and scientists have raised health concerns because 5G requires dense concentrations of small cell antennas on every street it serves, unlike previous generations of wireless networks that use regional cell towers to send signals over long distances.

Last edited:
Ok ok Brice did not beat us in any way. The Rb and their offensive line did. He threw for one third down play an not much more. They started running the ball and we weren’t smart enough to come downhill yet. They used the counter play every time it seamed. He did not beat us at all.

yeah. its too bad it took clemson and pitt for us to figure out how to play the Lbs to stop run. had we had our scheme we might lose either game.

Ok ok Brice did not beat us in any way. The Rb and their offensive line did. He threw for one third down play an not much more. They started running the ball and we weren’t smart enough to come downhill yet. They used the counter play every time it seamed. He did not beat us at all.
I think he might hand the ball off better than anyone in the conference though. He is awesome at that.

I think he might hand the ball off better than anyone in the conference though. He is awesome at that.

I think that pretty much any QB could hand the ball to ETN behind Clemson's O-line, and be all-ACC at doing so.

Even Drew Allen probably could have handled that.
OK, maybe that's going too far. :p