Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
6ae58732ce1fcebfc37db4aefdcb06c4

Welcome to National Ice Cream Day!

It seems like every day is National Something Day, but National Ice Cream Day is serious business. So serious that it exists by presidential proclamation (thanks, Reagan).
What it means for you, fellow freebie finder, is a bunch of deals and free treats on Sunday, July 21, 2019 at some of your favorite creamery, snack bar and restaurant chains.
Take a look at the full list of National Ice Cream Day deals and offers below, find one near you and score the perfect cold treat for the hot weekend ahead.
All of the chains and brands below can be found in New York State.

Carvel
Customers can buy one cup or cone of soft ice cream and get another one free at all Carvel shoppes nationwide on BOGO Free Cup or Cone of Soft Ice Cream from open to close at all Carvel shoppes nationwide on Sunday.

Cold Stone Creamery
Join Cold Stone’s rewards program by July 20 to get a coupon for a BOGO deal on National Ice Cream Day.

Our ice cream is far from your typical ice cream! We use liquid nitrogen to make you the freshest, creamiest, made-to-order ice cream. Nitrogen is odorless, tasteless, colorless, and completely non-toxic. It comprises approximately 78% of the air we breathe. #creamistry pic.twitter.com/xltCrJZEh7
— Creamistry (@CreamistryInc) September 30, 2018
Creamistry
Enroll in Creamistry's loyalty program for a free Ruby Cacao Ice Cream with any other ice cream purchase of equal or greater value.
SU News

Syracuse QB Tommy DeVito: 'We haven't reached our full potential yet' - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Syracuse quarterback Tommy DeVito sat down with us for a one-on-one to discuss the upcoming 2019 season. Here’s what he had to say:

The Juice Online: Tommy, you’re going to be the starting quarterback. This is what you’ve worked hard for coming to Syracuse. The moment is going to be yours as you lead the offense on Aug. 31. Talk about getting ready for that all summer, preseason practice and your debut.

Tommy DeVito: Brad, I can’t wait. It’s been a dream come true playing college football. The offseason workouts, just pushing myself as hard as I can, and trying to push all the other guys around me. I’m trying to be the best leader I can be to get this team in position to do what we want to do.

TJO: Last year, Eric Dungey said, ‘We don’t want just six victories. We don’t want to just qualify for a bowl game. We want to win all of them.’ Of course, you won 10 games, first time since 2001. How did that boost the program and how are you carrying the torch heading into this year?

TD: Right. That shows what we can do and what our potential is. And we haven’t reached our fully potential yet. That is the tip of the iceberg. We don’t have a ceiling. The only ceiling is ourselves. I hope that everyone understands that we need to be a consistent team. That’s what Coach Babers preaches to us. “Being consistently good, not occasionally great.” I think that we’re trying to be consistent week in and week out.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2019/07/syracuse-football-raises-over-7000-with-2019-lift-for-life-video.html (PS; video; Bailey)

Airon Servais and Sam Heckel lined up against each other for once on Thursday night.
Inside a sweltering Manley Field House, the two Syracuse football redshirt junior offensive linemen stood on opposite ends of a rope. The tug-of-war final between the respective captains and their teams capped off SU’s seventh annual Lift for Life -- an event run by the school’s chapter of Uplifting Athletes that raises money to fight rare diseases.

The whistle blew and, gradually, the rope pulled toward Team Heckel. Team Servais fought -- a red-haired Sean Riley pulling with all of his 5-foot-8, 170-pound frame. But the rope crossed the 5-yard threshold.
Team Heckel won, albeit in questionable fashion; Servais and Co. argued that there may have been an extra tugger on the other side, and video review appears to confirm this.
But the true winner, undoubtedly, was the rare disease community. Orange players have raised about $7,000 this year going into Friday’s bench press competition. Donors have pledged a set amount for each repetition of 225 pounds.
That $7,000 mark already matches last year’s total and brings the seven-year figure to over $65,000.

“Lift for Life is always a great time,” Heckel said. “It’s right before camp. We’re about it have a nice break, go home and spend time with family. It’s just a good place to bring the whole team together for a good cause, compete against each other in drills. Overall, it was a great time tonight.”

For Heckel, the cause has personal meaning. He fights a rare blood disorder called congenital thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and frequently needs blood transfusions for treatment.

https://insidetheloudhouse.com/2019/07/18/syracuse-football-sterling-hofrichter-steals-show-acc-media-day/ (itlh; Esden Jr)

Syracuse football punter Sterling Hofrichter stole the show at ACC Kickoff and he wasn’t even there. Here are all the details and what it means.

Syracuse football head coach Dino Babers has been a bit of a prophet during his time on the hill. Whether that’s predicting when the Orange will pop or proclaiming his players are destined for the NFL.

At the ACC Kickoff Babers went back to his prophesizing ways but he didn’t talk about a player you’d expect:

“Our punter is an NFL punter, write it down,” Babers said at the ACC Kickoff at The Westin Charlotte via Joey Knight of the Tampa Bay Times. “He will kick in the National Football League.”
While these comments may surprise some, they shouldn’t.

Syracuse had one of the most elite special team units in the country in 2018 and they retained both Hofrichter and the reigning Lou Groza award winner (awarded annually to the best kicker in the country) Andre Szmyt.

Syracuse, Clemson look ahead to another epic battle (augustafreepress.com; Graham)

The knock on ACC football: it’s Clemson, and then it’s everybody else.

Interesting thing about that: Syracuse. The Orange beat Clemson in 2017, and had the Tigers down 10 points in Death Valley in 2018 before a late Clemson rally led to a 27-23 win.

The two meet in Week 3.

“Cuse will have a new quarterback with Eric Dungey having graduated. Clemson is … still Clemson.

“Yeah, it’s kind of business as usual for us, to be honest with you. It’s just what we do every year,” coach Dabo Swinney said Wednesday at the 2019 ACC KIckoff.

Just outside the door from where he was talking was the national champion trophy that seems to be a fixture of these events.

The ACC has had three of the past six national champs – Florida State in 2013, Clemson in 2016 and 2018.

FSU has fallen on hard times the past couple of years, leaving it Clemson’s league now and for the foreseeable future.

Swinney, a former interim coach who was a walk-on receiver at Alabama, does his best to play up his team as plucky.

“We’ve had eight 10-plus winning seasons in a row, been very consistent. The reason for that is we start over,” Swinney said. “You heard these guys talk about it. Truly, we don’t carry everything over. It’s a new team, there’s new challenges. You got to redevelop the leadership, reinstall the core values.”

Dino Babers at Syracuse is coming off a turnaround season for his program, which won 10 games in 2018, the first double-digit-win campaign for the Orange since 2001.

Clemson Football: ESPN writer has 12 Tigers on All-ACC ballot (rubbingtherock.com; Spencer)

SPN ACC Analyst David Hale revealed his All-ACC ballot and had 12 total Clemson football players on the list, including 10 on the first-team.
David Hale, one of the most respected ACC beat writers from ESPN, released his ballot for the All-ACC team and his predictions for the conference in 2019.

Hale had 12 total Clemson football players on the list and he picked the Tigers to go 12-0 and win the conference for a fifth-straight season.

Here’s a look at the Clemson football players to make his team and how he sees the conference shaping out in 2019.

David Hale’s All-ACC Ballot:

• Trevor Lawrence, (first-team QB)
  • Travis Etienne, (first-team RB)
  • Justyn Ross, (first-team WR)
  • Tee Higgins, (first-team WR)
  • Tremayne Anchrum, (first-team OT)
  • John Simpson, (first-team OG)
  • Xavier Thomas, (first-team DE)
  • Nyles Pinckney, (first-team DT)
  • Isaiah Simmons, (first-team LB)
  • AJ Terrell, (first-team CB)
  • Gage Cervenka, (second-team OG)
  • Sean Pollard, (second-team C)
I tend to agree with Hale, for the most part. He did choose to leave K’Von Wallace off, who I think has All-ACC potential, but other than that this list is seemingly spot on at least for the Clemson guys.

2019 Western Michigan Broncos: Key Storylines (hustlebelt.com; Helwick)

Western Michigan enters year three of the Tim Lester era with plenty of returning talent and hope. The Broncos have crashed in two-straight Novembers after solid midseason runs, causing them to slide out of MAC championship contention.

Year three will be a benchmark year for Lester after two average seasons in Kalamazoo. Nearly the entire defense is back, and the offense will rely on seasoned playmakers Jon Wassink and LeVante Bellamy. Here are the storylines which will dictate the 2019 Western Michigan football season.
What is this team’s potential with a healthy Wassink?

Jon Wassink is an upper echelon MAC quarterback.

Through two seasons as a starter, the 6’2” passer has completed 62.8% of his passes and thrown 30 touchdowns to just 12 interceptions. However, we’ve yet to see Western Michigan play an entire season with Wassink due to season ending injuries in consecutive Octobers. First, it was the collarbone, then, it was the right ankle.

Injuries have prevented Wassink from playing in the final month of the season, and Western Michigan has been a combined 2-7 following his injuries compared to 11-5 when he completes a game. Wassink was a great screen passer and tough power runner as a sophomore. During his junior season, he gained greater touch on his deep throws, as demonstrated in a 379-yard outing in 19 completions against Syracuse last August.

‎David Glenn Show: David Glenn Show 7-18-19 Hour 1 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Glenn)

DG and Daron are live from Charlotte, at the second and final day of ACC Kickoff. Head coach of Syracuse football, Dino Babers, stops by the table to talk Vanilla Ice, Game of Thrones, and of course Syracuse Football. Willie Taggart, second year head coach of Florida State, joins the show to discuss the differences between the beginning of last year and the beginning of this year for the Seminoles.

https://n./news/syracuse-in-the-mix-for-3-star-florida-db-majon-wright (; Wommack)

THE LATEST
There is so much talent in the state of Florida that schools around the country continue to look to the Sunshine State in an effort to build their programs. One of those schools that is making a more concerted effort to push into Florida is Syracuse. The ACC program signed five Florida high school players last year and is hoping to equal that number again in the Class of 2020. One of the South Florida prospects the Orange are targeting is three-star athlete Majon Wright. recently caught up with Wright to get the latest on his recruitment and his thoughts on Syracuse.

IN HIS WORDS
"I went to the adidas satellite camp at FIU last month where all the schools were there. It was pretty nice. I got to talk to some coaches from some different schools. I've been talking to Syracuse quite a lot, too."
Syracuse: "I went up there in the spring and I had a good time. Now I want to go back for an official visit and they want me to come up there and spend some time with the coaches. I like the program a lot. It's like a family up there."
Potential fit: "I think they would be a good fit for me. It's a long way from home and I know it snows up there but I'm going to go up there to work and I'll be able to come back and see my family when I need to. I'm an athlete and some schools want me at receiver but they see me playing defensive back for them."
Recent success: "They had a great season last year and it shows how they have built the program there. The coaches are doing a great job. I've been getting to know the coaches and they think I can come in a play defensive back. The want to keep building with the Florida guys and get a pipeline down here."
Other schools in the mix: "I have an offer from UCF and I've been talking to them about coming up there for a visit. They have been wanting me to come but I haven't gotten a chance yet. I'm trying to make it there after the dead period. I have been talking to USF, too, and Pittsburgh as well."

The best defensive linemen on Maryland football’s 2019 schedule (testudotimes.com; Bromberg)

While Maryland football lacks experience on its defensive line, the same can’t be said about its opponents this season. Three of the Terps’ 2019 opponents are ranked among Bleacher Report’s 10 best defensive lines in college football — Syracuse (No. 6), Penn State (No. 5) and Michigan State (No. 1).

In terms of individual players, five of USA TODAY’s 10 best college defensive linemen are in the Big Ten, so the Terps will face some of the top talent in the country at the position. Here are the best Maryland will be up against in the fall.

Chase Young, Ohio State (Nov. 9)

Everyone in college football is high on Chase Young right now, and rightfully so. The defensive end had a monster sophomore season for the Buckeyes, putting up 34 total tackles, 10.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles.

The DeMatha product is ranked first on USA TODAY’s list of the best defensive linemen going into the season, and he is No. 9 on Sports Illustrated’s list of the top 100 players in college football. Young was named a Sporting News Preseason First Team All-American and the Big Ten Preseason Defender of the Year, and he’s projected to be a top 2020 NFL Draft pick by multiple outlets.

Clemson Athletics Podcast 7.18.2019 featuring Robbie Caldwell and Todd Bates clemsontigers.com;' podcast)

Don Munson visits with Offensive Line Coach Robbie Caldwell and Defensive Tackle Coach Todd Bates.

Under construction: Clemson's defensive line short on experience, but long on talent (greenvilleonline.com; Keepfer)

for gbo

As Dabo Swinney is quick to remind, there’s plenty of construction taking place along Clemson’s defensive line.
The departure of five defensive linemen to the NFL will precipitate such a need.

“It’s a major work in progress,” Clemson’s 11th-year coach said during the ACC Football Kickoff this week in Charlotte, North Carolina. “The good news is we’ve got a lot of guys with hard hats on.”

Hard hats and youth on the defensive line no problem for Clemson says Swinney Ken Ruinard, The Greenville News
Rebuilding a defensive line may prove problematic for some, but not many teams around the ACC are going to feel sorry for Swinney’s plight.

“They’ve got guys that can go,” said Syracuse defensive end Kendall Coleman. “As you saw, one of their freshmen stepped in last year and made a major play at the end of our game.”

That freshman was defensive end Xavier Thomas, who sacked Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey for an eight-yard loss to essentially seal the Tigers’ 27-23 win last season.

Clemson defensive lineman Xavier Thomas (3) sacks Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey(2) during the fourth quarter in Memorial Stadium on Saturday, September 29, 2018.

Thomas is expected to be a key component along a defensive front along with Justin Foster, K.J. Henry, Logan Rudolph, Jordan Williams, Nyles Pinckney and Tyler Davis. None of them have ever started a game, but that doesn’t bother defensive line coach Todd Bates.

Why Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence is college football’s top quarterback (greenvilleonline.com; Robinson)

for gbo

Clemson senior offensive lineman John Simpson strolled into the Westin Charlotte on Wednesday morning with a tailored suit on his shoulders and a blonde wig on his head.

He wore the hairpiece to troll anyone who wished coach Dabo Swinney had selected sophomore quarterback Trevor Lawrence to represent Clemson at the Atlantic Coast Conference Kickoff media event.

“A lot of guys didn’t want me here,” Simpson said. “So, I was like, ‘You know what? I’m going to bring Trevor with me.’”

The wig was vital to the impersonation. Not only because Lawrence is easily distinguished by his long golden locks. But also because, according to Simpson, there is nothing else about Lawrence that is distinguishable.

“He’s kind of boring,” Simpson teased.

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) participates in the spring game at Memorial Stadium Saturday, April 6, 2019.

Off the field, Lawrence is reserved, practical, calm. On the field, his reticence becomes poise. His practicality becomes precision. His calm becomes cool.

He has composure, command and a cannon.

His grasp of the offense and graceful mechanics elevate him as the best quarterback in college football. A step above a collection of terrific quarterbacks that will dazzle fans in 2019, including Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, Oregon’s Justin Herbert, Texas’ Sam Ehlinger and Georgia’s Jake Fromm.

ACC Ballot: How will the ACC turn out this season and which players will stand out? (tallahassee.com; McGahee III)

The ACC should be called the All Chaos Conference.
There's always multiple players that comes out of no where to have a standout season and there's no telling how the teams will finish.
But that doesn't mean that we don't try to pin everything down in the preseason.
Here's my picks for the preseason All-ACC team and the order of conference finish.
Wayne's All-ACC Ballot
Offense
QB and ACC Player of the Year: Trevor Lawrence - Clemson
RB: Travis Etienne - Clemson
RB: A.J. Dillon - Boston College
WR: Tee Higgins - Clemson
WR: Justyn Ross - Clemson
WR: Tamorrion Terry - Florida State
TE: Brevin Jordan - Miami
APB: Deejay Dallas - Miami
OT: Mekhi Beckton – Louisville
OT: Ben Petrula – Boston College
OG: Evan Adams - Syracuse
OG: John Simpson – Clemson
C: Jimmy Morrissey – Pittsburgh
PK: Andre Szmyt – Syracuse

More: How do other ACC players view the Florida State program after the last two seasons?
More: Florida State's James Blackman will open fall camp with the starters
More: Florida State quarterback Jordan Travis eligibility waiver still up in the air
Why: The offense was pretty simple to figure out. Lawrence is the unquestioned best quarterback in the conference and probably the best quarterback in the country. Etienne and Dillon are the two best running backs in the conference. Higgins and Ross were easy picks. I chose Terry to accompany them because of how important he will be to the FSU offense and the production that I expect him to have.

Miami churns out talented tight ends and Brevin Jordan is no exception and Deejay Dallas is one of the best returners in the country. He's also productive out of the backfield and should have a few more touches there this season.
All five of the offensive linemen are considered among the top offensive line players in the conference by the experts, so I relied more on them since I haven't seen solid offensive line play since 2013. Szmyt is the best kicker in the conference.

Defense
DE: Xavier Thomas - Clemson
DE: Alton Robinson - Syracuse
DT: Marvin Wilson - Florida State
DT: Nyles Pinckney - Cle
LB: Shaq quarterman - Miami
LB: Rayshard Ashby - Virginia Tech
LB: Max Richardson – Boston College
CB: Bryce Hall – Virginia
CB: Essang Bassey – Wake Forest
S: Jarius Morehead - North Carolina State
S: Damar Hamlin - Pittsburgh
P: Sterling Hofrichter – Cuse
Specialist: D.J. Matthews – FSU

Why: Thomas was excellent in a backup role for Clemson this season and he's going to be on the field a lot more this year. I went back-and-forth between the two Syracuse defensive ends, but Robinson did a better job of getting into the backfield last year. There aren't very many returning defensive tackles in the conference this season, and Wilson and Pinckney are both expected to have big years.
Quarterman was a no-brainer and Ashby and Richardson are both going to be extremely productive in the systems that they run. Hall and Bassey are both considered to be among the best defensive backs in college football this season.
Safety was more difficult with the lack of returning players, but Morehead and Hamlin are expected to have big seasons in 2019. Syracuse corners the special teams market with the best punter in the ACC. I chose Matthews because he was able to have the season he did with the special teams unit around him in 2018. If FSU's return unit improves, Matthews should be able to have a much better year.

ACC Atlantic Division wrap up with Manie Robinson, Scott Keepfer, and Wayne McGahee at the ACC Football Kickoff in Charlotte Ken Ruinard, The Greenville News
Wayne's Conference Predictions
Atlantic
1. Clemson
2. Syracuse
3. Florida State

ACC Kickoff: Clemson Still Top Dog; Targeting Changes Coming (pittsburghnow.com; Northam)

The first day of the ACC Kickoff began with talk about the ACC Network, featured Syracuse head coach Dino Babers weighing in on the moon landing and referencing Game of Thrones, saw a Clemson player throw some shade back at Alabama, and had some new guidelines revealed when it comes to targeting.

There wasn’t much talk about Pitt though, even though the Panthers won the Coastal division last season. Players and coaches from the Atlantic division that spoke Wednesday didn’t seem to give much thought to how the Panthers might play this season.

Pitt’s two Atlantic opponents this year are Syracuse and Boston College, two schools the Panthers are familiar with going back to their Big East days.

The only whisper of Pitt that arose on Wednesday was when Clemson safety Tanner Muse was asked about the criticism the Tigers’ defensive backs received last season. Muse explained that, after giving up 510 passing yards to South Carolina in the Tigers’ regular season finale, the unit really buckled down against the Panthers in the ACC Championship game.

“I thought we really proved ourselves against Pittsburgh,” Muse said. “I think we kept them under a hundred yards passing, which is unheard of, in a championship-type game. That was really satisfying as a team.”

ACC Coastal preview: Get ready for more chaos and unpredictability (espm; Connelly)

You have to give the ACC Coastal this: It's not boring. It hasn't been all that good either, mind you -- its champion hasn't won the conference title game since 2010. In eight years, more Coastal champs have finished 50th or worse in S&P+ (three) than have finished in the top 20 (two). Still, when there's no dominant team, at least you end up with unpredictability. In five of the past six seasons, a team predicted fourth or worse in the preseason ACC media poll won the division. Last year's champ, Pitt, was picked fifth. Almost anything can happen here -- except what's actually supposed to.

That makes this season particularly intriguing because, well, nothing is "supposed to" happen. Miami will likely be the preseason division favorite, but we still don't know if the Hurricanes have a quarterback, and it would be hard for anything beyond "Georgia Tech, division champ" to surprise us much. So ... congrats in advance to the Yellow Jackets.

A quick reminder on terminology: S&P+ is the tempo- and opponent-adjusted efficiency measure I created at Football Outsiders in 2008.

Teams are listed below in order of S&P+ projections. Click here for the ACC Atlantic preview.

Miami Hurricanes

2018 record and rankings: 7-6 (No. 27 in S&P+, No. 27 in FPI)
2019 S&P+ projection: 8.7 wins (No. 19)
2019 FPI projection: 8.2 wins (No. 27)

Strength: Havoc. Manny Diaz oversaw the most havoc-friendly, TFLs-heavy defense in the country last season. The Hurricanes were first in overall sack rate, third in stuff rate (run stops at or behind the line) and first in havoc rate (total tackles for loss, passes defensed and forced fumbles divided by total plays).

2019 ACC Media Days notebook: Mack is back, but Brown and the ACC have changed since he left UNC (cbssports.com; Patterson)

North Carolina's Mack Brown was one of three first-year coaches from the Coastal Division to address the media on Thursday at the ACC Football Kickoff. In one sense he's not a first-timer at all, participating in many of the league's media events during his 10-season run as the Tar Heels' coach from 1988-97. But this kickoff, and the league itself, are far different than when he left for Texas in more than two decades ago.

A casual session of chatting around a ballroom table after a round of golf with writers has been replaced by bright lights, big stages and a rotation of performance fitting for a league that's loading up on content for the launch of its own network. And beyond the look and feel is the league itself, which went all-in on football in the early 2000s with the addition of Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College and a conference title game and has seen that, and other, bets on football pay-off with three national championships since 2013 and appearances in every single edition of the College Football Playoff.

The ACC isn't the same league it was, and Brown is hoping that he's changed too, for the better, as a coach.

"I think we're all creatures of habit. If we're not careful, we get in a little box sometimes. We don't get outside the box. Leaving Texas got me outside the box," Brown said. "We did pretty much the same stuff at Texas that we did [at UNC] the first time. I think over the last five years, I've learned that there's other ways to do things as well."

One idea that Brown has been locked into since arriving at North Carolina for the second time has been a total involvement in every aspect of the football program. In March he admitted to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd that he was aware of the "CEO coach" reputation and preferred to leave it in the past. Tasks can be delegated, but there's a level of empowering assistant coaches that removes responsibility from the head coach's plate, and ultimately the head coach is always going to be the one that's held accountable.

2020 Recruiting Update - 7/19/19 (RX; HM)

2020 Recruiting Update - 7/19/19

Not much other news that didn't come out at media days, so... how about a recruiting update?

RankTeamTotal5-stars4-stars3-starsBelow 3Average
1Clemson1859404.06
2Alabama22216403.91
3Ohio State21210903.67
4LSU20213503.85
5Notre Dame1718713.53
6Georgia1429303.93
7Michigan220101203.45
8Florida18010803.56
9Texas A&M1617803.56
10Miami21161403.38
11Oklahoma1518603.67
12Penn State20051503.25
13Florida State1609703.56
14Auburn1308503.62
15North Carolina21041703.19
16Oregon1506903.40
17Ole Miss21031803.14
18Mississippi St22041803.18
19South Carolina1405903.36
20Texas1008203.80
21Iowa22021823.00
22Georgia Tech19011803.05
23Washington1206513.42
24Kentucky13031003.23
25Stanford1214703.50
26Tennessee1206513.42
27Minnesota22012103.05
28Louisville20011903.05
29Northwestern15021213.07
30N.C. State15011403.07
31Pittsburgh16011503.06
32Purdue14021203.14
33Kansas21002012.95
34California16001603.00
35Kansas State18001803.00
36Iowa State16001512.94
37Missouri13011203.08
38Wisconsin1103803.27
39Oklahoma State13011203.08
40Colorado14021113.07
41Arkansas1102903.18
42Memphis14001403.00
43Maryland14001403.00
44Arizona State13021103.15
45Wake Forest15001503.00
46TCU1002803.20
47Michigan St12011103.08
48West Virginia12001203.00
49Boston College12011103.08
50Texas Tech12001203.00
58Duke11001103.00
63Virginia1001903.10
69Syracuse11001103.00
90Virginia Tech600603.00
106Illinois301203.33

Previews of 2019 ACCN FB Shows (RX; HM)

Previews of 2019 ACCN FB Shows

Here are some preview video clips to get you stoked for the ACCN (from twitter)...

2018 Clemson Tigers Football: Greatest Team Ever
GREATEST EVER #WeDoThis | @ClemsonFB
— ACC Network (@accnetwork) July 17, 2019
Louisville Football All-Access
One Team. One Heart. One Beat. #WeDoThis | @UofLFootball

The Bowden Dynasty
Legendary #WeDoThis | @FSUFootball

More ACCN commercials - 7/18/19 (RX; HM)

More ACCN commercials - 7/18/19

The hype just keeps coming...

ACC Traditions:
FEELS. #WeDoThis

Hype video for first football game: Georgia Tech at Clemson
We swarm. We rock. We do this. @GeorgiaTechFB x @ClemsonFB on Aug. 29
— ACC Network (@accnetwork) July 16, 2019

What Could a Hypothetical ACC vs. Big Ten Football Challenge Look Like? (athlonsports.com; La Fleur)

The two conferences already mix it up on the hardwood, so here's a plan for the gridiron

The men's basketball teams from Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten have paired off against each other on an annual basis since 1999. The meetings have occurred at campus venues for the most part. This arrangement livens up the non-conference schedules as well as helps settle the question about which conference is superior. After 20 years, fans in both conferences deserve the same arrangement for their football teams.

The following list proposes some contests. Some of these games have an appeal due to teams being located in bordering states. Others include matchups that have never occurred for the football programs. Finally, some are resumptions of series that ended due to conference realignment. This exercise also ignores some familiar pairings (such as Pittsburgh vs. Penn State).

Clemson vs. Michigan

Promotional Slogan: Why Didn't We Do This Sooner?
Series history: no previous meetings
Clemson vs. Big Ten: 4-1
Michigan vs. ACC: 16-3

These are among the most successful programs in their conferences. Both hold the highest number of conference titles within their respective conferences. Both seem to appear in the Top 25 polls every year, at least in the preseason versions.

Interestingly, they have never faced each other on the gridiron. All five times that Clemson has faced an opponent from the Big Ten, those occurred in bowl games. Michigan has only played at two ACC venues, both times in the 1960s. Three of Michigan's four most recent meetings with a team from the ACC happened in bowls.

Florida State vs. Nebraska

Promotional Slogan: Anyone Remember the '90s?
Series history: Florida State leads 6-2
Florida State vs. Big Ten: 9-2
Nebraska vs. ACC: 9-8

These two highly successful programs dominated during the 1990s. Both were perennially ranked in the top 10 of the major polls. Florida State won consensus national titles in 1993 and '99 plus shared or won outright every ACC championship after joining the ACC in '92. Nebraska won the consensus national title in 1994 and '95 along with the coaches' title in '97 plus seven conference titles.

Since the calendar flipped to 2000, FSU has resembled a roller-coaster ride. The Seminoles have won seven more ACC championships. They won the final BCS national title in 2013. They won 10 or more games in eight seasons. However, they finished 7-6 four times in addition to going 5-7 in 2018, their first losing season in four decades (1976).

In the current millennium, Nebraska has ranged from respectable to awful. The Cornhuskers have logged six seasons with 10 or more victories. Despite those, they not won a conference championship since 1999. They have lost seven or more games in five seasons. They have suffered four non-winning seasons.

Nebraska has never played in Tallahassee. The first four meetings between these programs occurred in Lincoln which they split. The last four were played in bowls. These programs have not faced each other since the consecutive Orange Bowls following the 1992 and '93 seasons. FSU won both.

Nebraska has faced nine ACC members. Seven of the Cornhuskers' matchups against an ACC team have happened since 2000. Those have occurred in both bowls and home-and-home series.

Will fans need to don flannel shirts and crank up some grunge rock to make this matchup feel nationally relevant?

Duke vs. Michigan State

Promotional Slogan: From the Hardwood to the Gridiron
Series history: No previous meetings
Duke vs. Big Ten: 16-24-1
Michigan State vs. ACC: 4-3-1

These two universities have enjoyed much success in men's basketball going back decades. Their basketball teams had faced each other in the NCAA tournament six times in the past 25 years. Duke holds a 4-2 edge in those matchups.

Their football programs have improved over the 2010s as well. David Cutcliffe has led Duke to five winning seasons and a divisional title. Under Mark Dantonio, the Spartans have enjoyed six seasons with 10 or more wins plus three conference titles.

Neither of these programs has much experience facing a variety of teams from the other's conference. MSU has only faced four ACC opponents. The Spartans have played just one game vs. an ACC team since the late 1980s. Nearly half of Duke's games vs. Big Ten competitions have come against Northwestern.

For the halftime entertainment, men's basketball coaches of the two universities, Mike Krzyzewski and Tom Izzo, should suit up for a game of one-on-one. They would play on a court that's brought out onto the field. Whoever does not break a hip or throw out his back first would be declared the winner.

Pittsburgh vs. Ohio State

Promotional Slogan: The Brawl on Interstate 70
Series history: Ohio State leads 19-5-1
Pittsburgh vs. Big Ten: 26-63-2
Ohio State vs. ACC: 10-8

This series started in 1929. That first meeting began a string of meetings between these two programs in 18 of 26 seasons, ending in 1954. Thirty years later, they finally resumed playing against one another, this time in the Fiesta Bowl. They have not faced each other again since a four-year-long home-and-home series which ended in 1996.

Considering their campuses are separated by less than 200 miles, this matchup would allow plenty of visiting fans to attend. Maybe some the animosity between fans of the Browns and Steelers will spill over into this series?

Syracuse vs. Penn State

Promotional Slogan: Eastern Independents' Day
Series history: Penn State leads 43-23-5
Syracuse vs. Big Ten: 18-42-2
Penn State vs. ACC: 53-8-1

This was an annual matchup from 1922-90 (with the exception of 1943) when both were independents. Since then, they have only faced each other three times. The most recent game was played in East Rutherford, New Jersey, in 2013. Penn State has won the last five meetings.

The lapse in the series may have caused some fans and members of the media to forget how heated this rivalry once was. A brawl broke out in the final minute of the game in Happy Valley in 1953 that included fans leaving the stands to join in the melee. Syracuse took offense at Penn State's demand that the series would only continue after 1990 with more games at Beaver Stadium than in the Carrier Dome instead of home-and-home on an equal basis. In 1956, an incorrectly called penalty for illegal participation late in the fourth quarter against Penn State sabotaged any possibility of a last-minute comeback, dealing the Nittany Lions a 13-9 defeat. The contest in 1958 was marred by the allegation that the referee calling the game had graduated from Syracuse's law school, explaining why Penn State was flagged seven times for 55 yards while Syracuse's sole penalty was called in the final minute of the Orangemen's eight-point victory.

Joe Paterno and Penn State's administration blamed Syracuse for leading the opposition to Penn State joining the Big East for basketball in 1982. Syracuse's officials point the finger for the Big East's collapse as a football conference at Penn State for the Lions' refusal to join their fellow Eastern Independents in forming the football-version of the conference, leading to its inevitable failure. There is so much lingering animosity between these programs that it would foment highly entertaining contests between them.

UNC Football: Interview with Patrice Rene (tarheelblog.com; Cowden)

Last week I wrote a story about how I think Patrice Rene has a shot to be an All Conference cornerback this season. I reached out to Patrice to see if he’d answer a couple questions for me and he was kind enough to do a full interview with me. I’ve transcribed most of it here.

THB: Patrice, one thing I wanted to ask you about is that people who don’t follow North Carolina football might not know that y’all got a new head coach. Mack Brown came back for what will be his second round in Chapel Hill coaching. What’s it been like with the new head coach? There seems to be so much excitement around the program right now, what has that been like as a player within the program?

PR: As a player it’s been amazing so far having Coach Brown back, I mean he’s the G.O.A.T. and a Hall of Famer. He’s a guy that has a lot of respect in the football world, having him as the head coach has been something really special for our team. As a player, being able to learn from him each and every day, and what he’s done for the program in such a short amount of time has been incredible. I’m definitely excited to have Coach Brown as the head coach, and I’m excited to see how this team plays in the season coming up.

Other

6PB425AMM5EAJIZLE3J3SX73XU.jpg

Syracuse offers places to stay cool during ‘dangerously high’ weekend heat (PS; Baker)

Mayor Ben Walsh is encouraging residents to take advantage of several air conditioned community centers and city pools to stay cool as temperatures creep above 100 degrees this weekend.

“We are expecting very high temperatures on Friday and extreme heat conditions on Saturday,” said Mayor Walsh. “We want to be sure that those who can’t get access to a safe space have somewhere to go. People should also keep an eye on their neighbors and on those who might live alone. If they need a place to go, help them get to one of our neighborhood sites.”

The National Weather Service said Saturday will bring “dangerously high” temperatures.
In Syracuse, the Magnarelli Center at 2308 Grant Blvd. and the Cecile Community Center at 174 West Seneca Tpke. will be open from noon to 8 p.m. Saturday.
The Boys & Girls Club buildings at 2100 E. Fayette St. and 201 Hamilton St. will be open from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday.
All of those buildings are air conditioned.
Other locations to keep cool include public places like libraries or malls.
The city has eight public pools that will be open during the following hours on Friday and Saturday:

• Burnet Park Pool: Noon to 7 p.m.
  • Kirk Park Pool: 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Lincoln Park Pool: Noon to 6 p.m.
  • McKinley Park Pool: 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Onondaga Park Pool: 1 to 6 p.m.
  • Schiller Park Pool: 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Thornden Park Pool: Noon to 7 p.m.
  • Wilson Park Pool: Noon to 6 p.m.
City parks also have nine water features (fountains and sprayers): Lower Onondaga spray pad, McKinley Park spray area, Schiller Park mushroom, Thornden Park spray circle, Frazer School spray feature, Union Park spray block, Upper Onondaga Park spray block, Washington Square Park spray block and Wilson Park’s spray block.
City and county officials are also advising people to drink lots of water, stay out of the sun and check on friends and neighbors, especially those who are elderly or otherwise more vulnerable to high heat.

Last edited:
Lots of smack talk already out there in the twitterverse from WMU fans about that Syracuse game.
... and Liberty too.
Greg Robinson is not at the helm any longer. WMU is quite good for a MAC team and might just beat UB. I bet they put some points up on us again.

LOVE the ACC/B1G football challenge idea (Athlon Sports). Won't happen, but still a great idea...