Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
FB_507.jpg

Welcome to World Elephant Day!

On August 12, 2012, the inaugural World Elephant Day was launched to bring attention to the urgent plight of Asian and African elephants. The elephant is loved, revered and respected by people and cultures around the world, yet we balance on the brink of seeing the last of this magnificent creature.

SU News

Tommy-DeVito-678x381.jpg

https://sujuiceonline.com/2019/08/12/what-will-syracuse-get-out-of-its-linebackers-2019-syracuse-football-preview/ (the juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in August, we’re going to be tackling the biggest burning questions on the 2019 Syracuse football team. Today’s burning question: What can Syracuse expect from its group of linebackers, which will feature two new starters for the third straight year?

HELLO AND GOODBYE

By this point, even Syracuse head coach Dino Babers can’t keep count anymore.

“What is this, the third year?” Babers said. “I can’t keep track.”

Babers was referring to his starting linebackers, who will be a different group of players for the third straight year.

When Babers arrived in 2017, seniors Parris Bennett and Zaire Franklin started. Last year, another pair of seniors, Kielan Whitner and Ryan Guthrie were at the top of the depth chart.

Whitner and Guthrie both got off to slow starts, but ended up becoming a strength of the defense by season’s end.

Guthrie earned All-ACC Second Team honors after leading the ACC with 107 tackles (66 solo) in 13 games at middle linebacker. He was particularly good in the second half of the season, with 70 tackles and 12.5 tackles for loss in his last seven games.

Meanwhile, Whitner, a converted safety, finished second on the team with 100 tackles and eighth in the ACC in tackles per game (7.7).

TWO NEW STARTERS

When Babers released his preseason depth chart in July, he once again put a pair of seniors as his starters.

“It’s going to be one of those years where we’ve got (Andrew Armstrong) and Lakiem (Williams) as upper classmen,” Babers said. “But I think we’re going to play enough guys where next year, we’re not going to worry about retaining guys again.”

https://247sports.com/college/syracuse/Article/Syracuse-Football-Recruiting-Kevin-Mital-Ben-LaBrosse-CuseCast-Podcast-134377624/ (247sports.com; podcast; McAllister)

Syracuse football is adding record setting Canadian wide receiver Kevin Mital to its 2019 roster according to a report. We spoke to his head coach about how it all went down and what type of player the Orange are getting. Also joining the program is 2020 Canadian safety/linebacker/athlete Ben LaBrosse, who committed to Syracuse after picking up an offer following a strong camp performance.

https://podcasts.apple.com/bn/podcast/syracuse-football-talk-kevin-wall-sb-nations-nunesmagician/id1445109780?i=1000446674394 (aple.com; podcast; Chowder & Grits)

On the latest episode of Chowder and Grits, Kevin Wall of SB Nation's NunesMagician joins the show to discuss the upcoming Syracuse Football season.

Show Overview

The persona that is Dino Babers
How the Syracuse coaching staff has done more with less
A look at Tommy DeVito and discussion around what he needs to do to fill the void left by Eric Dungey
Should fans be concerned about the offensive line
Is Moe Neal ready to be the feature back in this backfield
An experienced receiving corps loaded with playmakers
Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman may be one of the best defensive line duos in the country
Questions at linebacker are the defenses biggest concern
Can Andre Sisco repeat his success from 2018
Will any offense be able to throw or run consistently against this Syracuse defense

Virginia Tech-Syracuse History

The Hokies and Orange have had an interesting series, but haven't played much since the early 2000's when both teams were Big East foes. We relive some of the big moments in the series history, such as "The Catch," "Freeney's Sack Frenzy" and of course the 2002 Triple OT thriller.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/ACC-head-coaches-ranking-2019-season-Dabo-Swinney-Bronco-Mendenhall-Dino-Babers-Dave-Doeren-Mack-Brown-David-Cutcliffe-134363135/ (247sports.com; Igoe)

The Atlantic Coast Conference has seen its football profile raised in recent years, much in part thanks to the Clemson Tigers.

Head coach Dabo Swinney has done what many couldn't despite some great resources over the years in Clemson, turning the Tigers into a perennial national championship contender. Swinney has led Clemson to two national titles in the last three seasons, while also capturing four consecutive ACC championships. That success has overshadowed many of the other programs in the league in recent years, causing some nationally to overlook the productive jobs being done at some of the schools that don't quite get the spotlight as much as others.

The ACC is introducing four new head coaches to the fold this year, with Manny Diaz replacing Mark Richt at Miami, Geoff Collins taking over at Georgia Tech, Scott Satterfield in at Louisville, and legendary coach Mack Brown now leading the Tar Heels (again) in Chapel Hill. The league also returns a handful of coaches who have built seemingly stable programs in Syracuse's Dino Babers, NC State's Dave Doeren, Duke's David Cutcliffe and Wake Forest's Dave Clawson, among others.

Below, we rank each of the coaches in the conference heading into the 2019 season based on past accomplishments and where they sit in the college football world today as head coaching figures. Someone like Brown, who's had a Hall-of-Fame career, but has been out of coaching for six years, was extremely difficult to rank. Diaz, meanwhile, gets an incomplete, since he's never coached a college game as a head coach. Here's a look at how the rest stack up.

https://chopchat.com/2019/08/11/fsu-football-schedule-spots-shows-3-games-noles-get-upset/ (chopchat.com; Parker)

FSU football knows that they have played down to their competition at several points of late, and where three teams fall on the schedule indicate trouble.
From the times when FSU football was winning national titles to the point of what took place last season, the Seminoles have been known for being one of the dominant teams in the game…who somehow figure out a way to drop games they have no business losing against teams that they were better than on paper.

Of late, games like Virginia in 2011 and Georgia Tech four seasons later would be examples of those games that the Seminoles had no business being the losers in – and one look at the schedule for the upcoming season shows three games that could fall in that trap.

It has nothing to do with the quality of team, though all three are decent foes, but one thing that the ACC did to FSU football: where they fall on the schedule – because the Seminoles face the trio of N.C. State, Wake Forest and Boston College at the worst possible time.

Florida State Seminoles Football

Take a look at the schedule if you will. When the Seminoles host the Wolfpack on September 28th, it will be the fifth game of the season that included games against Boise State and Virginia weeks before – and maybe the biggest game of the season coming up two weeks later when the Noles travel to take on Clemson.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2019/8/11/20798699/projecting-2019-college-football-playoff-season-oklahoma-sooners-alabama-crimson-tide-clemson-tigers (crimsonandcreamachine.com; Kenney)

Wish I could tell you it’s going to be a wild year in college football, but I just don’t see it.

I’ve projected all of the Power Five conference races below based on my preseason power ratings, which reflect my best efforts to come up with an objective measure of each team’s overall strength. I adjusted the results by accounting for home field advantage and the occasional situational factors.

We’ll take these in alphabetical order, starting with the ACC.

ACC
ACC_2019.jpg

How Many Subscribers (EST) (RX; HM)

How Many Subscribers (EST)
How many subscribers do we think the ACCN has so far, and how many is it likely to get by week #1? I'll start by telling you that these numbers are hard to find. Some of this data is old, and some of it is a bit shaky, but it's the best I was able to get. If you have better data, PLEASE let me know!

Estimated subscribers for TV Distributors
(along with ESPN renewal if public)
DistributorRenewalsubscribers*
Comcast202120 (est)
DirectTVsigned1.6
Charter201916 (est)
Dish20229.9
Verizon/FiOSsigned5.74
ATT Uverse201912.5
Cox?4.5
Alticesigned4.6
Frontier?1.3
Sling TV?2.4
Mediacom?0.8
PS Vuesigned0.8
Windstream?0.36
RCN?0.33
Cable ONE?0.3
Hulu TVsigned2.0
YouTube TVsigned1.0
TOTAL SIGNED UP15.74
* in millions
Four things worth noting:
1. While the ACCN is already available just about everywhere, it's not on a lot of cable systems - so the number of casual viewers is still small

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/08/fb-on-accn-822-9119.html (RX; HM)

FB on ACCN, 8/22-9/1/19

Here's the schedule of ACC football coverage on the ACC Network for the first two weeks:

DateTime (ET)ProgramNetwork
Thu, Aug. 2211 p.m.The Huddle Launch SpecialACCN
Fri, Aug. 238 p.m.The Huddle Season PreviewACCN
Sat, Aug. 246 p.m.All ACC: Insiders SpecialACCN
7 p.m.All ACC Watch Party: Miami vs. FloridaACCN
Thu, Aug. 297 a.m.Packer and Durham from ClemsonACCN
6 p.m.College GameDay Built By The Home DepotESPN/ACCN
7 p.m.College GameDay Built By The Home DepotACCN
8 p.m.Georgia Tech at ClemsonACCN
Fri, Aug. 306 p.m.The HuddleACCN
8 p.m.Utah State at Wake ForestACCN
Sat, Aug. 3111 a.m.The HuddleACCN
NoonEast Carolina at NC StateACCN
4 p.m.Virginia Tech at Boston CollegeACCN
7:30 p.m.Virginia at PittACCN
Mon, Sept. 28 p.m.All ACC Watch Party: Notre Dame at LouisvilleACCN

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/08/comments-on-latest-cbs-2019-20-bowl.html (RX; HM)

Comments on Latest CBS 2019-20 Bowl Projections

CBS Sports has updated their preseason bowl projections, so I've updated my analysis of their projections for ACC teams...

2020 College Football Playoff
DATEGAME / LOC.MATCHUP
Jan. 13National ChampionshipSemifinal winners
Dec. 28Peach Bowl(1) Alabama vs. (4) Georgia
Dec. 28Fiesta Bowl(2) Clemson vs. (3) Oklahoma
Selection committee bowl games
DATEBOWL / LOCATIONMATCHUP
Jan. 1SugarLSU vs. Texas
Jan. 1RoseOhio State vs. Washington
Dec. 30OrangeMiami vs. Notre Dame
Dec. 28CottonUCF vs. Michigan
OTHER BOWL GAMES
BOWLDATEMATCHUP
Dec. 31Sun BowlFlorida State vs. USC
Dec. 31Belk BowlSyracuse vs. Kentucky
Dec. 30Music City BowlVirginia Tech vs. Missouri^
Dec. 28Camping World BowlVirginia vs. Iowa State
Dec. 27Pinstripe BowlN.C. State vs. Purdue
Dec. 27Military BowlArmy+ vs. Memphis
Dec. 26Quick Lane BowlMiami (OH)+ vs. Northwestern
Dec. 26Independence BowlBoston College vs. Buffalo+
source: Bowl Projections

COMMENTS:

• First of all, only 8 bowl-eligible ACC teams? Seems unlikely, but if you read between the lines that means he's picking multiple 9 and 10 win teams, which might be a very good thing for the league. Of course, it means missing out on the final year of the Quick Lane Bowl... so sad.
  • Clemson passed up by the Peach Bowl again? Look, I realize there's no way the CFP wants to miss out on the bonanza of having Alabama/Georgia in Atlanta, but come on, man!
  • Miami/Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl? Echos of Catholics vs. Convicts, maybe? Yes, please! (And the fact that it puts more money into the ACC is just icing on the cake!)
  • At first glance I wasn't liking FSU in the Sun Bowl... but then I thought Seminoles/Trojans and all of a sudden I'm ok with it.
Not a big fan of any of the other bowl projections. The matchups and venues are all wrong.Here's what I'd do with those teams:
  • Nobody wants to watch UVA vs. Iowa State in ANY bowl; since the Camping World Bowl is in Florida, at least send them the Seminoles.
  • That frees up UVA to go to the Sun Bowl and play the USC Trojans - a better matchup, IMO.
  • VT and NC State need to swap bowls; VT vs. Purdue in the Pinstripe, NC State vs. Missouri in the Music City Bowl. Both games would be more interesting, IMO.
  • That leaves BC, but I don't want to send them to the Independence Bowl (what did BC ever do to deserve that?); my first choice would be the Military Bowl vs. Memphis, but if that's not possible send the back to Detroit to play Northwestern.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/08/accn-herstory.html (RX; HM)
ACCN Herstory

From USA Today: Behind the scenes at the ACC Network, women are running the show
I think a lot of people got the wrong impression about this article. It isn't saying that the ACC Network will feature women's sports - certainly not any more than the SEC or Big Ten Networks - nor is it implying that it will not feature men's sports like football and basketball (it absolutely will). What they are talking about is the people behind the cameras, as these snippets indicate:
...even before the switch flips Aug. 22, the ACC Network already has distinguished itself from any project in the history of sports television: It has been built almost entirely by women.

“In a perfect world, this wouldn’t be a story,” said Amy Rosenfeld, a senior coordinating producer for ESPN who is heading production for the ACC Network.

...Though there was nothing intentional about it, in the end the ACC Network had women as the top executive (Durant), the head of production (Rosenfeld), the head of remote production including the on-campus broadcasting facilities (Meg Aronowitz), programming (Stacie McCollum), creative services and animation (Carol Boyle), marketing (Michelle Berry and Jill Husak), affiliate marketing (Susan Mattia and Linda Cabral), public relations (Keri Potts and Amy Ufnowski) and sales (Jennifer Tsong).
We are being told that ESPN picked the most qualified candidates for the business and technical side of the network, and most of them happened to be women. To the extent that the "most-qualified" part is true, I have no problem with that.

Other

S7OKGSYCGJF4VL5YLHCY6WBYCM.jpg

Todd Hobin, Letezia, Alexandra Deshorties headline Paper Mill Island free event (PS; Loomis)

The music is free, and the program is eclectic when classic rock, American pop and traditional opera selections are performed on Paper Mill Island in Baldwinsville from 3 to 5 p.m, Aug. 17.

Fans will find food trucks, activities and performances by widely acclaimed musicians at the family-friendly event.

Singer/songwriter Todd Hobin teams up with Syracuse Opera conductor Christian Capocaccia, a combined Syracuse Pops and Opera Chorus, world-renowned soprano Alexandra Deshorties, and a glittering array of other performers to celebrate Central New York’s rich musical culture.

“It’s no surprise that I support our local opera company,” Hobin says. “Music of all styles brings us together and gives us joy. I was raised in a home that celebrated all the arts. My mother was a visual artist, and my father was a well-regarded opera singer.”

As founder of the Todd Hobin band, the popular musician has built a reputation for performing distinctly American songs and appearing with top-rated talent. The band’s double CD set contains music from the early years, including “Keep the Dream Alive,” and the latest album, “It’s Not Over,” continues the rocking, thoughtful music upon which their reputation stands.

Hobin will be joined by Letizia, a SAMMY Award winning singer who has been voted top vocalist by fans across Central New York, to present his original composition “Memories And Dreams.” The duet has deep meaning for him because it was commissioned by the late Helen Boatwright, whom he calls “a true American legend.”

He says, “I was honored to perform the commission with Helen in what, tragically, turned out to be her final performance. Now, I’m thrilled to be singing it again with a great talent like Letizia.”

Lou Lemos is going to conduct a chorus comprised of members of the Syracuse Pops and the Syracuse Opera Choruses. He has programmed well-known selections that include “The Anvil Chorus,” from Il Trovatore; “One Day More,” from Les Miserable, and “Make Our Garden Grow,” from “Candide.”

Billed as “Syracuse Opera and Friends,” the Paper Mill Island concert serves as a preview to the opera company’s 45th season, which opens Oct. 18 with Mozart’s “Cosi fan tutte.”