Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to National Twilight Zone Day!

Today we celebrate the anthology television series The Twilight Zone. It is unclear why the show is celebrated on May 11, as there is no apparent connection between the date and the show. During its 5-season run, the series was both popular with fans and became critically acclaimed.

The Twilight Zone premiered on October 2, 1959, on CBS. It was created by Rod Serling, who not only came up with its concept and wrote or co-wrote 92 of its 156 episodes but also hosted and narrated it. It was one of the first science fiction series, and also had elements of suspense, horror, psychological fiction, drama, and fantasy. Serling combined his love of pulp fiction novels with topics that weren't often addressed on television at the time: social issues such as war (including nuclear), McCarthyism, and racism. In the opening of each episode, characters were transported to another dimension—the fifth dimension—which was called "the Twilight Zone." There they dealt with many unusual events, and the show often had a surprise ending with a moral lesson.

SU News

College Football News Preview 2020: Syracuse Orange (CFN; Fiutak)

2019 Record: 5-7 overall, 2-6 in ACC
Head Coach: Dino Babers, 5th year, 23-26
2019 CFN Final Opinion Ranking: 80
2019 CFN Final Season Formula Ranking: 79
2019 CFN Preview Ranking: 25

NOTE: Obviously, no one knows what’s going to happen to the 2020 college football season. We’ll take a general look at where each team stands – doing it without spring ball to go by – while crossing our fingers that we’ll all have some well-deserved fun this fall. Hoping you and yours are safe and healthy.

5. College Football News Preview 2020: Syracuse Orange Offense 3 Things To Know

– It was supposed to be a little bit of a rebuilding year for the Syracuse offense, but not like that. QB Tommy DeVito struggled, but that’s partly because he had to deal with too many defensive players jumping on his head.

The offensive line had a rough year. Four starters are expected back, and senior Airon Servais is an okay veteran at left tackle, but overall the front five can’t be among the three worst in college football in sacks allowed.

There’s bulk, there’s the versatility to play around with the lineup, and there’s the upside with experience to be better. But the offense that didn’t average 400 yards per game and scored 27 points or fewer seven times needs time to operate.

– DeVito, again, didn’t get a whole lot of time, and now it’s time for his numbers to skyrocket under new offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert. The junior-to-be has the talent and the arm, and he held up reasonably well despite all the pressure. He took his lumps, only threw five picks, and he was accurate enough to get by. Rex Culpepper is a bigger passer with just enough experience to be totally lost if he gets thrown into the mix.

Now the receiving corps has to rise up with leading receiver Trishton Jackson leaving early for the NFL and with three of the top four pass catchers gone. Junior Taj Harris is a good-sized deep threat, and senior Nykeim Johnson can move, but someone has to rise up and replace the volume catches from Jackson.

That might come from the tight end tandem of Aaron Hackett and Luke Benson. These two can catch, and 292-pound Chris Elmore is the blocking option.

– The ground started to come on over the second half of the season after getting stuffed for a dead stop far too often over the first half. Leading rusher Moe Neal is gone, but the good tandem of junior Jarveon Howard and senior Abdul Adams should be able to handle the workload without a problem. There’s enough depth to shoot for the second 2,000-yard rushing season since 2013.

Syracuse football, other fall sports could get delayed or cancelled (itlh; Adler)

The status of Syracuse football and other fall sports remains unclear, with the NCAA president saying schools would have to reopen for sports to get played.

Syracuse football and other Orange sports are hoping to occur come this fall, but the novel coronavirus pandemic is keeping that possibility altogether questionable.

On April 16, Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud said there is “cautious optimism” that the university will resume on-campus instruction this fall.

The pandemic, however, has created so much uncertainty – and this health crisis is such a fluid situation – that it’s extremely tough to predict whether the ‘Cuse and other colleges and universities will actually have the ability to welcome back students to their campuses in a few months.

One thing that does seem more concrete is that collegiate sports aren’t likely to transpire in the fall unless campuses themselves have reopened to some degree for students as a whole. The NCAA’s president, Mark Emmert, said that on Friday night, and his comments are hopefully echoed by conference commissioners.

Former Syracuse football star Chandler Jones sets the right example (itlh; Adler)

Former Syracuse football sensation and Arizona Cardinals linebacker Chandler Jones has received his degree from Syracuse University, and that’s wonderful.

I don’t have a clue as to what the financial situation of former Syracuse football great Chandler Jones is. Frankly, it’s none of my business.

But let’s assume that Jones, a Super Bowl champion, a two-time All-Pro and a member of the 2010s NFL All-Decade team, is doing okay money-wise.

Regardless of that, Jones, who played for the Orange from 2009-11, earned his degree from the ‘Cuse in human development and family science this past week, per an announcement from the university’s athletics department. And we should all applaud him.

Syracuse faces new challenges recruiting in the ACC - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

Recruiting in the ACC can be more challenging than playing in the ACC.

Clemson is a recruiting wagon. Florida State, despite struggling the past couple of seasons, is still Florida State. North Carolina and Louisville both appear to be on the rebound. And even Boston College has upgraded from pitching #Dudes to recruiting guru, Jeff Hafley.

And like it has on all other, more serious aspects of life, the COVID-19 pandemic has complicated recruiting efforts for seemingly all programs. For a school like Syracuse, which relies on campus visits to sway the opinion of football prospects, the inability to bring recruits to upstate New York makes landing ACC-caliber talent that more challenging.

Dino Babers and his staff – some of whom head into their first full season recruiting in the ACC for Syracuse – have to navigate unchartered waters as they look to stock their roster.

Fans – and some columnists *drops head, raises hand* – tend to easily get caught up in the star ranking system assigned to recruits and classes. Chandler Jones and his 2-star ranking were an example of an obvious miss.

A better way to evaluate a recruit, at least from a fan’s perspective, is to look at his offer list. But with staffs and recruits temporarily forbidden from in-person contact, offer lists might not be as reliable. Fans must trust that staffs can correctly spot talent. That seems to be Syracuse’s strategy for the Class of 2021, at least in the near future.

Virginia DL George Wilson includes ASU in top seven (247sports.com; Werner)

Virginia Beach (Va.) Green Run High 2021 defensive end George Wilson, who has 17 reported offers from across the nation, included Arizona State in his top seven on Saturday. The other six programs were Oregon, Ole Miss, Penn State, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee and Wake Forest.

A three-star recruit according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Wilson is the No. 363 overall prospect in the nation, the No. 25 weakside defensive end and No. 10 recruit from Virginia.

He is viewed more favorably by 247Sports analysts, who list him as a four-star prospect, the No. 204 overall prospect in the nation, the No. 24 weakside defensive end and No. 6 recruit in his home state.

Michigan OT Brandon Honorable Commits to Pitt | Pittsburgh Sports Now (pittsburghsportsnow.com; Vukovcan)

After not landing a scholarship commitment from Michigan in six years, Pitt has their second commitment from the Motor City of the day on Sunday, as 2021 three-star offensive tackle Brandon Honorable (6-foot-6, 270 pounds) from Martin Luther High School in Detroit, Michigan became Pitt’s 12th commitment in its Class of 2021.

Honorable is the fourth offensive lineman to make a commitment to Pitt this year, joining Terrence Enos, Marco Fugar and Terrence Rankl.

“It feels real good to make it official where I’ll be going not only football wise but for my academics as well,” Honorable told Pittsburgh Sports Now. “Instead of wondering if it’ll be this school or that school, if feels good to make this long-term commitment.

”I first talked to Coach [Archie] Collins about my decision and he was so fired up and was like H2P. After I told Coach Collins, I called up Coach [Dave] Borbely and Coach [Pat] Narduzzi and they were also fired up and they can’t wait for me to get in the blue and yellow.”

Taulia Tagovailoa ends time with Alabama Football, enters transfer portal (withthefirstpick.com; Kinnan)

Exiting the Alabama Football program the same year as his brother Tua, quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa has entered the transfer portal.

Following in his brother’s footsteps, quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa committed to the University of Alabama, and now they both leave the Crimson Tide together as well. While Tua Tagovailoa was selected with the fifth pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, Taulia has now entered the transfer portal after just one season in Tuscaloosa.

With Mac Jones presumably taking the reigns this year (and potentially next) after filling in for the injured Tua in 2019, and with incoming recruit in Bryce Young, Taulia seems to be a bit displaced on the Crimson Tide depth chart. He is still in the early stages of his re-recruitment process, but one has to wonder if a former school who pursued him a year ago could be back in the market.

Could he take another look at schools such as Florida Atlantic, Syracuse, Oklahoma State, or Tennessee (previously offered him according to 247 Sports)? Or could Taulia Tagovailoa opt to return home to the island of Hawai’i and replace Cole McDonald for the Warriors?

There have been rumors he could head to the state of Florida, linked to both Florida Atlantic and Florida International early in the offseason. One would think that Taulia would make his decision rather quickly with summer training camp right around the corner, needing to get as much of a head start as possible.

Which ACC team will be Clemsons biggest threat the next 3 years? (scacchoops.com; Zemek)

First things first: Asking about Clemson’s biggest threat the next three years should not be taken as an implied statement that Clemson WILL face a severe threat in ACC football the next three years. This is only a fishing trip. Maybe we’ll reel in a big one, but maybe we’ll get nothing. This is an attempt to identify threats to Clemson IF any emerge; we’re not guaranteeing they will emerge, or that such an emergence is likely.

Got it? Good.

The main threat to Clemson — if one is to perceive a possible threat — has to come within Clemson’s own division. A team Clemson might play in the ACC Championship Game, but not during the eight-game conference season — doesn’t have as direct an influence over Clemson’s season. A team which can knock Clemson out of the ACC Championship Game has more power over the Tigers… if such a team can exist in the near future. For that reason, two of the three threats on this list are Atlantic teams. Only one team from the Coastal will be selected.

The Coastal team is obvious enough: North Carolina tested Clemson last season, and now the Tar Heels are recruiting up a storm. If Sam Howell stays for all four seasons, sure, Carolina could be a tough customer for Team Dabo in an ACC Championship Game. Virginia Tech might have something to say about UNC’s prosperity, but if one had to pick a Coastal program, the Tar Heels have the most going for them right now.

In the Atlantic, while Dave Clawson regularly gets more out of less at Wake Forest — and we respect the job he does with the Demon Deacons on an annual basis — it has to be either Louisville or Florida State which will rise to meet the Clemson challenge, if that even happens at all.

Scott Satterfield looks like a tremendous hire. If he proves to be exactly that — building off his marvelous first season — UL will grow back to a formidable, strong program. The Cardinals have shown that with quality coaching and elite quarterback play, they can be a big hitter in college football.

The same is true for Florida State. The resources are going to be there; can a coach sort everything out and, unlike Willie Taggart, put the pieces together? If Mike Norvell is up to the task, FSU can once again become the primary obstacle to Clemson… and we can have — gasp! — thrilling, memorable FSU-Clemson football games again. We are rapidly losing a sense of what that used to feel like. The Noles need to bring it back, and Norvell could be just the guy.

Unlike Satterfield, though, we haven’t seen Norvell in the cauldron of the ACC yet. Yes, I think he’ll do well, but I and a lot of other people thought Taggart would do well, too.

How I turned Mom into a Clemson Football fan (theclemsoninsider.com; Vandervolt)

for gbo

When I was nine years old, I became obsessed with sports. I loved to watch football, basketball and baseball and later started watching tennis and golf. If it was a sports event, and it was on television, I was probably watching it.

Sports became my passion and my mom, like any good mother would, recognized it right away. Being the youngest of six, and with my brothers and sisters being a little bit older than me, I spent a lot of time by myself. So, sports, depending on what season it was, became my family.

When I wasn’t playing on a team or with the neighborhood kids, I had enough imagination to entertain myself. I would play for hours, mostly basketball. Sometimes Mom would come outside and watch me. She didn’t say much, she just watched me.

Links, news and rumors - 5/11/20 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 5/11/20

When this list fits neatly in a single tweet, you know your school has done well in football...
Power 5 teams Clemson has played and never beaten.

Ole Miss: 0-2 (1928, 1933)
Texas Tech: 0-1 (2002)
California: 0-1 (1991)
Minnesota: 0-1 (1985)
Baylor: 0-1 (1979)
USC: 0-1 (1966)
— CFB Kings (@CFBKings) May 10, 2020
The CU Tigers have only lost to one of these teams twice - the rest are a bunch of 0-1's. Sadly, none of them are on the schedule so they'll all have to be bowl game matchups at this point.

From SaturdayDownSouth: "Florida's coaching staff can't be pleased with recent comment from former Gator Chauncey Gardner-Johnson"

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson just fired off a comment that’s likely going to be used against Florida on the recruiting trail...

...Dan Mullen did make comments suggesting that none of his undergraduate players were ready for the NFL near the end of the 2018 season.

2020 ACC Transfers In/Out (RX; HM)

2020 ACC Transfers In/Out

Where do these transfers come from? Where are they going? Here are the projected 2020 transfers in the portal as of 5/10/20:

TeamP5 inG5 inFCS inP5 outG5 outFCS out
BC21231
Clemson21
Duke3351
FSU5224
Ga Tech32
Louisville131
Miami13531
UNC1111
NC State133
Pitt311
Syracuse11
UVA31
Va Tech31224
Wake3122
Total2872222914

Good News: There are more P5 transfers coming into the ACC than there are going out. In fact, most of the players who transfer out of the ACC end up at either a G5 team (44.6%) or an FCS team (21.5%); only 33.8% of former ACC players go on to play for another P5 team - and that includes players who transfer to other ACC teams!

Weekend Links - 5/9/20 (RX; HM)

Weekend Links - 5/9/20

ACC Could Begin 2020 Season Without Members
...Brett McMurphy spoke with various conference commissioners and athletic directors about some of the contingency plans around getting the 2020 college football season in amidst the COVID19 outbreak. They discussed playing in empty stadiums, and holding a season even if there aren't students on campus. But the part that stuck out was a quote from ACC Commissioner John Swofford and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby:

“I suspect if the majority of schools can play, then they should play,” said Swofford of the ACC. “It’s on our radar. We’ll cross that bridge later. Hopefully we won’t be in that situation.”

Added the Big 12’s Bowlsby: “It’s not practical to make everyone wait and not play just because of one school in one vicinity.”

This is concerning for Boston College for a number of reasons. First, the state of Massachusetts has one of the highest outbreak rates in the country, and lie in an area that has become the epicenter of the pandemic.

As seen above, the rest of the ACC have numbers that are below where Massachusetts currently lies. Even Syracuse, who is in a high volume state, is in a county with significantly small infection numbers in comparison to other counties in the state...
Of course, that's the way things are NOW, on May 9th; it could look a lot different by July - for all we know, Atlanta might be the nation's hot spot and Boston might be over it. To be determined.

Other

syracuse-sunrise-panorama-scott-reyes.jpg

Cuomo says some parts of NY are ready to reopen (PS; Weaver)

Some regions in New York are ready to start adding back jobs in mid-May, said Gov. Andrew Cuomo, adding that he plans to confer with county executives and other local officials on Monday.

“Yes there will be regions that are eligible on the 15th,” Cuomo said, citing the looming expiration of the state’s shutdown, which is called NY on Pause.

Cuomo didn’t specify what Upstate regions might be eligible. The governor said he’ll give an update about restarting plans on Monday.

Central New York is poised to be one of the first regions in the state to start, slowly, going back to work.

Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon said Saturday he believes the region will be able to meet the state’s requirement to start adding back jobs in mid-May. That optimism comes despite the fact that Onondaga County just ended its deadliest week.

Over the last 5 seasons, Clemson is 43-2 vs. ACC teams - the only 2 losses being to Syracuse and Pitt. If the Orange can start beating the rest of the ACC, they might give Clemson a run as well... if you have championship aspirations, losing on a regular basis to teams like NC State, Wake Forest and BC es no bueno...

The assumption that nothing goes wrong for Clemson is so huge.. Just because they managed to avoid QB injuries for multiple years doesnt mean it doesnt happen again. It doesnt take much for these teams to come back to the pack.. Alabama lost a couple DLine dudes and came back a couple yrs ago too.

The assumption that nothing goes wrong for Clemson is so huge.. Just because they managed to avoid QB injuries for multiple years doesnt mean it doesnt happen again. It doesnt take much for these teams to come back to the pack.. Alabama lost a couple DLine dudes and came back a couple yrs ago too.
I hate to say it but Clemson will play for title again. They are loaded 3ven with who they lost. Love their DC. Yeah LSU got em but who didn’t they get. LSU was tough. Clemson will be there again as usual.