Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Stars-and-Stripes-Day-i.jpg

Welcome to "The Stars and Stripes Forever" Day

Today's holiday takes place on the anniversary of the first public performance of "The Stars and Stripes Forever," and is thus dedicated to the march. The march was first performed on May 14, 1897, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the occasion of the unveiling of a statue of George Washington. President William McKinley was even in attendance.

John Philip Sousa had been the director of the United States Marine Band from 1880 to 1892. The most popular musical star of his era, Sousa was known as the "March King" by the 1890s, and started his own band and toured the country after leaving the Marine band. But at this time, he had yet to write what would become his most well-known piece.

In late 1896, Sousa was on vacation in Europe with his wife when he found out his band manager, David Blakely, had passed away. It was when traveling back to the United States on a ship that he got the inspiration to write "The Stars and Stripes Forever," a song he later said was about the feeling one gets when returning to America. On Christmas Day 1896, the music began forming in his head, and he wrote it down when he made it home. He described his writing process in his autobiography: "...absorbed in thoughts of my manager's death and the many duties and decisions which awaited me in New York. Suddenly, I began to sense a rhythmic beat of a band playing within my brain. Throughout the whole tense voyage, that imaginary band continued to unfold the same themes, echoing and re-echoing the most distant melody. I did not transfer a note of that music to paper while I was on the steamer, but when we reached shore, I set down the measures that my brain-band had been playing for me, and not a note of it has ever changed."

SU News

nk9614oxs2ixfc8zxkj90kzvynnr7au

Nazareth junior receiver Landon Morris commits to Syracuse (fridaynightdrive.com; Welge)

Landon Morris has the build and DNA ideal for a future in basketball.

At 6-foot-6, he looks like a basketball forward even in football pads. Morris, a Nazareth junior, played basketball his first two years of high school in Fishers, Ind. His mom was a Miss Basketball in Indiana, and Morris' older sister will play basketball collegiately at Holy Cross.

His future, though, is in football.

Morris made it official Tuesday, making his verbal commitment to Syracuse. Morris chose Syracuse, who offered him earlier this spring, from six offers including Michigan, Iowa State, Toledo, Central Florida and Boston College.

"I felt comfortable with the coaches and all the players that reached out to me before I even committed," Morris said. "My cousin goes to Fordham, so I'm familiar with the area. The coaches that reached out were very nice to me and my family."

Morris, a three-star prospect recruited to play tight end at Syracuse, is part of an ultra-talented Nazareth roster that led the Roadrunners to the Class 7A final last fall. Quarterback J.J. McCarthy is the No. 1-ranked junior in Illinois and committed to Michigan, and sophomore receiver Tyler Morris one of the top sophomores in the country.

Syracuse Football: Landon Morris adds playmaking for Orange (itlh; Lee)

Syracuse Football has received another commitment for its class of 2021. Landon Morris, three-star tight end from Illinois, committed Tuesday afternoon.

Syracuse Football received the commitment from Landon Morris, a three-star tight end from Illinois. Morris attends Nazareth Academy and is the eighth recruit so far for their next recruiting class. Morris was primarily recruited by Mike Lynch and Reno Ferri.

The Orange outlasted Power-5 schools such as Boston College, Iowa State, and Michigan for Morris. Listed at six-foot-five and 210 pounds, Morris figures to be a talented pass-catcher for the Orange through his college career.

The 2-3 zone: Keeping Syracuse basketball relevant - The Juice Online juice; Cheng)

As we countdown to kickoff in September, we’re going to be doing a team-by-team preview each week over the summer. SU will continue its 2020 non-conference schedule on October 17 against Liberty.

It was hard to argue with the results in Liberty head coach Hugh Freeze’s first season with the Flames.

In their first season as a postseason eligible Division I FBS team, Liberty went 8-5, defeating Georgia Southern in the Cure Bowl.

As per customary with a Freeze coached team, the passing game excelled, with the Flames throwing for 288.9 yards per game, good for 21st in the FBS. That helped them average a respectable 35.8 points per game, with the team exceeding 59 or more points three separate times.

But Freeze will need to replace several key cogs of that offense, including quarterback Stephen “Buckshot” Calvert (3,663 yards, 28 touchdowns), running back Frankie Hickson (1,041 yards, 12 TDs) and wide receiver Antonio Gandy-Golden (1,396 yards, 10 TDs). Gandy-Golden rode consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons to become a fourth round draft choice of the Washington Redskins in the 2020 NFL Draft.

OFFENSE WILL NEED A RELOAD

Still, Freeze is in the fortunate position of reloading in talent.

At quarterback, he’s got several intriguing options. Auburn transfer Malik Willis is eligible after sitting out his mandatory redshirt year. The former three-star recruit was a top 400 recruit in his class and appeared in 15 games in his first two seasons, completing 11-of-14 passing attempts for 69 yards and a touchdown.

He’s not going to be the prolific passer that Calvert was, but gives the Flames a dual-threat option.

Grad transfer Chris Ferguson finished a standout Maine career with 5,157 yards, and looking to prove himself at the FBS level. Internally, sophomore Brandon Robinson and redshirt freshman Johnathan Bennett will also compete for the starting role.

Syracuse shows defensive direction with recent commits (247sports.com; Dohn)

If there is intrigue into the long-term defensive system new coordinator Tony White will run at Syracuse, take a look at what the Orange have done in defensive recruiting in the three months since he was hired for a glimpse into the future.

Syracuse has four commits on the defensive line, and another in the secondary, and in each case they are multi-positional players dependent on how they develop, and are part of the defensive philosophy as the Orange revamp its defense.

White and the Orange are recruiting length on the defensive line to play in a 3-3-5 defense (three defensive linemen, three linebackers, five defensive backs), and how those players develop physically will determine where they fit in the defense down the line.

But as the Orange continue to recruit and build the roster to fit the system, it could easily morph into a 4-2-5 with an edge rusher.

Brookfield (Wisc.) Central’s Hayden Nelson could fit as a weak side defensive end or stand up edge rusher, or as a strong side defensive end depending how his 6-foot-4, 248-pound frame fills out.

Fairport (N.Y.) High defensive tackle Jaelin Moss fits inside and can play a 3-technique spot and get up the field or add size and play nose guard and be someone who can be a run stopper and take on blocks while others make plays. The 6-5, 260-pound Moss also brings length to the interior of the defensive line.

Tyrell.png

Roseville 2022 WR/CB/S Tyrell Henry was offered by Buffalo - The D Zone Football (theredzone.com)

Graduation Year 2022
Positions WR CB S
Height 6’1
Weight 160

05/12/20 Offer Buffalo (Football)
05/07/20 Offer Syracuse (Football)
05/04/20 Offer Cincinnati (Football)
04/16/20 Offer Michigan State (Football)
04/16/20 Offer Nebraska (Football)
04/13/20 Offer Penn State (Football)

Watch: Syracuse Orange Football: Top 5 Plays of 2019 (yardbarker.com)

The Syracuse Orange did not have the season that most people expected in 2019, but they still showed the ability to be explosive on offense and make big plays on defense.

Uni Watch | The Obsessive Study Of Athletics Aesthetics (uniwatch.com; Lukas)

College Football News: In a recent interview on The Dan Patrick Show, Stanford head coach David Shaw said that he started wearing apparel with the school’s tree-inclusive logo, instead of the plain block “S,” because recruits frequently mistook the plain version for other schools’ logos, including NC State and Syracuse (from Kary Klismet). … You may remember that last week athletes from a lot of different pro leagues put the names of healthcare workers over the NOBs on their jerseys. Virginia LB Charles Snowden has started something similar for UVa athletes, which he’s calling “Hoos Your Hero” (from our own Jamie Rathjen).

John Romano: Making the call on college football will be the hardest decision in sports (fltimes; Romano)

So Major League Baseball is willing to cut its season in half and play without fans in stadiums.

Seems prudent, even if it is sad and unprecedented. And you can bet a nation of baseball fans will solemnly nod their heads in agreement. They react this way because they are nerdy. And old. I know this because I am one of them.

At the same time, word is spreading that college football is also in danger of dramatic alterations.

Too many governors and university presidents seem inclined to severely curtail or even postpone the season. And you can bet a nation of college football fans will lose their freakin' minds. They'll react this way because they are passionate. And nuts. I know this because I've spent 40 years watching them tailgate.

MBB: All-Time Winningest Teams (RX: HM)

Correction: Syracuse actually has 2002 wins...

MBB: All-Time Winningest Teams

How blue is your team's basketball blood? One way of measuring a program is all-time wins. This seems to be widely-acceptable...

The elite of the elite

RT if your team is one of the 5 programs with over 2000 wins all time!
— FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) May 12, 2020
So, how do top ACC basketball programs stack up? Here's the top 10 NCAA Division I Men's basketball teams ranked by the number of wins through the end of the last completed season, 2018–19.

RankCollegeSince…#SeasonsWinsLossesTiesWin%
1Kentucky19031162,29370610.765
2Kansas18991212,27485900.726
3North Carolina19111092,26179900.739
4Duke19061142,17688700.710
5Temple18951251,9261,07900.641
6Syracuse19011191,90490800.677
7UCLA19201001,88785200.689
8Notre Dame18981221,8801,02810.646
9St. John's19081121,8541,02900.643
10Indiana19011191,8361,05000.636

MBB: May 16 is Michael Jordan day on ACCN (RX; HM)

MBB: May 16 is Michael Jordan day on ACCN

From an ESPN press release:

ACC Network to Exclusively Air Classic North Carolina Basketball Games from 1983 and ‘84 Seasons

Michael Jordan Carolina Rewind Begins at Noon on Saturday, May 16

• 11 Consecutive Hours of North Carolina Basketball Games and Jordan Content
  • Exclusive One-Time Showing of MJ as a Tar Heel
  • Packer and Durham Special: Jordan at Carolina Leads the Marathon
ACC Network (ACCN), the 24/7 national platform dedicated to ACC sports, will exclusively air five North Carolina men’s basketball games from the 1983 and ‘84 seasons spotlighting legendary Tar Heel Michael Jordan on Saturday, May 16.

In cooperation with Raycom Sports, Michael Jordan Carolina Rewind will feature 10 consecutive hours of classic Jordan performances beginning at noon ET. The lineup includes the following North Carolina classic wins:

Noon | North Carolina vs Wake Forest (Jan. 27, 1983)
Jordan led the Tar Heels with 17 points, while Matt Doherty made two free throws with three seconds left to lift North Carolina past Wake Forest, 80-78.

2 p.m. | North Carolina at Clemson (Feb. 2, 1983)
All-American Sam Perkins scored 30 points and Jordan added 24 to lead top-ranked North Carolina to an 84-81 victory at Clemson.

Links, news and rumors - 5/14/20 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 5/14/20

Kudos to Z at AllThingsFSU for pointing out this tweet...

Most Defensive Linemen Drafted the Last 20 Years.
— NCAAF Nation (@NCAAFNation247) May 13, 2020
That's the thing about playing Florida State, Clemson or Miami - you know the pass rush is coming!

Other

5ZDRAWYLHZEA3JXUKZSTVYCARQ.jpg

How Beak and Skiff tricked Mother Nature to protect apple trees from frost (PS; House)

It was a dangerous night for apple trees.

The wind was barely stirring at Beak and Skiff Apple Orchards. The temperature had fallen below 30 degrees. And as the frost set in, the LaFayette orchard’s tender blossoms — which will eventually turn into apples — were at risk of dying before they even got a chance to bloom.

So the farm’s crew headed into the cold, dark orchard just after midnight to set up smudge pots and turn on wind machines to raise the temperatures just enough to protect the buds from the potentially deadly freeze.

“We can trick mother nature by about 2 degrees, and that’s all it takes," said Peter Fleckenstein, a partner at Beak and Skiff and general manager of the orchard’s fresh fruit and juice operation

The National Weather Service issued a freeze warning for Central New York, warning that temperatures could drop as low as 27 degrees across the region. That’s a dangerous number for near-blossoming apple trees, Fleckenstein said: Temperatures below 27 degrees can kill buds, endangering CNY’s favorite fruit.

Attachments

• 1589454535150.jpeg
    1589454535150.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hate to say it but Donna's headline is a tad misleading.

Read the article: did he give a definitive answer to anything?