Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1596108861630.jpeg

Welcome to National Cheesecake Day!
In the United States, there are two big contenders for the cheesecake crown, one being New York style cheesecake, which is very heavy and rich and features cream cheese, heavy cream, and many other fattening ingredients.

The other popular cheesecake is Philadelphia style, which is generally considered to be creamier and also lighter than the New York style cheesecake, but certainly does not skimp on the fattening ingredients.

Cheesecake can also be flavored in a huge variety of ways. Chocolate or strawberry remain the popular national favorites followed by (surprise!) pumpkin cheesecake, which is usually enjoyed as a perfect combination of America's favorite winter holiday desserts - pumpkin pie and cheesecake.

SU News

New SU football schedule includes Notre Dame and a brutal road slate (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football has a new schedule out, and it includes a road game at Notre Dame.

The ACC announced its scheduling plans for football, moving forward with an 11-game season that includes Notre Dame relinquishing its independent status and joining the league for this season.

Here’s a look at SU’s new 2020 conference schedule. SU will also play one nonconference game against an opponent to be determined. That game must be played in New York.

Dates and kick times for the 11-game schedule will be announced in the future.

Home

• Boston College
  • Duke
  • Georgia Tech
  • North Carolina State
  • Wake Forest
Away
  • Clemson
  • Louisville
  • North Carolina
  • Notre Dame
  • Pittsburgh
The season is scheduled to begin the week of Sept. 7-12.

ACC football schedule 2020: Team-by-team breakdown of opponents, including Notre Dame, amid COVID-19 shakeup (cbssports.com; Kercheval)

The ACC announced Wednesday it will proceed by playing an 11-game college football season in 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic. Its schedule includes 10 conference games plus one nonconference game played in the home state of its members. Additionally, as previously reported, Notre Dame will join the conference for one year and play a full ACC schedule, which will make it eligible to compete for a spot in the ACC Championship Game and the ACC's bowl game opportunities.

The ACC will begin its 2020 season the week of Sept. 7, originally scheduled as Week 2. Nonconference games are to be determined and will be selected by the respective schools. The league will also move to one division with the top two teams playing in its conference title game.

Here's the entire 2020 ACC conference schedule as released Wednesday. League opponents have been selected; however, dates, nonconference opponents and TV assignments are not yet available.

Boston College

Home: Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Pitt
Away: Clemson, Duke, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Syracuse football to play Notre Dame in updated ACC schedule - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

The ACC formalized its plans for the 2020 football season on Wednesday, announcing its members will play 11 conference games with a non-conference game of its choice, while also bringing Notre Dame into the fold as a temporary member.

The Fighting Irish have long resisted conference affiliation, but will be in the ACC for 2020 only, and will be eligible to compete for the conference championship. The ACC is also eliminating the Atlantic and Coastal division alignments during COVID.

“We appreciate and are thankful for the dedicated efforts of so many people which resulted in today’s announcement,” Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in a statement. “I’m particularly pleased for our student-athletes who have a clear path toward competing this fall and continuing their academic pursuits. It is incumbent upon all of us in the Syracuse Athletics Department to strictly adhere to the protocols we and the ACC have in place.”

Syracuse Football: Hey, traveling to Clemson, ND, UNC, UofL is a breeze (itlh; Adler)

It will prove a massive challenge for Syracuse football to earn a bowl invite under the ACC’s newly proposed schedule.

Call me a pessimist, but Syracuse football isn’t going bowling under the 2020 scheduling model revealed by Atlantic Coast Conference officials on Wednesday.

ACC teams – with Notre Dame joining in the fun for football, much to the dismay of many ‘Cuse fanatics – will suit up for 10 league contests as well as one non-conference clash. The first games, according to the league’s press release, will occur the week of Sept. 7-12.

Okay, here’s what Syracuse football is up against under the tentative model. The Orange will welcome Boston College, Duke, N.C. State, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech to the Carrier Dome. Those are absolutely a bunch of winnable battles for the ‘Cuse.

The tricky part is the road calendar, and to say it’s daunting is the understatement of the century. Syracuse football will make trips to Clemson, Notre Dame, Louisville, North Carolina and Pittsburgh.

ACC leaders did Syracuse football absolutely no favors whatsoever in their proposed docket for the Orange.

If I’m being 110 percent honest here, I can’t foresee the Orange prevailing in more than one of those away match-ups, and that’s versus the Panthers. Clemson should claim the ACC crown and significantly contend for a spot in the College Football Playoff.

https%3A%2F%2Finsidetheloudhouse.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2020%2F07%2F1197216924-850x560.jpeg

Syracuse Football: Chandler Jones is 15th in NFL Rank, arguably too low (itlh; Mlodzinski)

Chandler Jones, a Syracuse football legend, has made it big in the NFL. But year after year, he goes far too unappreciated.

Former Syracuse football pass rusher, Chandler Jones, is slotted at 15th in this year’s NFL Rank – a yearly list of the top 100 players in football. While that number is certainly better than last year, when Jones was snubbed outside the top 100, it’s arguably still low.

Jones finished second in the NFL in sacks last season with 19 total. The ‘Cuse product also forced a league-leading EIGHT fumbles, three of which he recovered, and accounted for 53 total tackles, the third-most in his career.

Jones was a bruiser on the D-Line last season, and thanks to those statistics, earned his third Pro Bowl selection and second time named to an All-Pro team.

What does ACC, Notre Dame decision mean for college football? (ESPN; Dinich & Adelson)

The ACC made its scheduling decision on Wednesday, opting for 10 conference games -- including Notre Dame -- and one nonconference game. That leaves the SEC and Big 12 as the only leagues that have not made an announcement about what they plan to do about scheduling. Even though we have a few more answers now, many questions remain.

Here are the most pressing ones surrounding the college football season.

So Notre Dame can win the ACC now?

Yes! Everyone who has hollered and screamed for Notre Dame to join a conference finally gets to see how it plays out -- even if it is for this season only. Notre Dame plays all its other sports in the ACC and already had a scheduling partnership with the league, so it made sense to play a full ACC schedule for 2020 for both the league and the Irish. There will be no divisions for this year, so the two teams with the highest winning percentage in league play will meet up in the ACC championship game. Notre Dame picks up Florida State, North Carolina, Syracuse and Boston College and already had Clemson and Louisville scheduled -- giving the Irish the top 3 projected teams in the league for 2020. But this also sets up to potentially get a Clemson-Notre Dame rematch in Charlotte, North Carolina.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article244583337.html (newsobswerver.com; Leiker)

The ACC released the home and away matchups for a brand new schedule for the 2020 football season Wednesday, with games set to begin the week of Sept. 7. Dates and television for the conference games, as well as nonconference opponents, are still to be determined.

Notre Dame will be a temporary member of the conference this season, and eligible to be compete in the 2020 ACC Championship Game. Its original schedule only featured six ACC opponents, as the school has historically not been a member of any Power 5 conference for football. The Fighting Irish will travel to North Carolina three times to play Duke, Wake Forest and North Carolina.

N.C. State will host Duke for the first time since 2009. That year, the Blue Devils beat the Wolfpack 49-28 behind five touchdowns by quarterback Thad Lewis.

FSU: Toughest Schedule in New ACC Model that Favors Carolina (SI; Visser)

The ACC released its new model for a revamped college football season today, and in a world turned upside down by the coronavirus pandemic, some things just never change: like the ACC not necessarily doing Florida State any favors. Let's check out how the. Seminoles' schedule has been altered.

Here's FSU's original schedule:

• September 5: West Virginia (Atlanta, GA)
  • September 12: Samford (Tallahassee, FL)
  • September 19: Boise State (Boise, ID)
  • September 26: Bye
  • October 3: NC State (Raleigh, NC)
  • October 10: Clemson (Tallahassee, FL)
  • October 17: Wake Forest (Tallahassee, FL)
  • October 24: Louisville (Louisville, KY)
  • October 31: Pittsburgh (Tallahassee, FL)
  • November 7: Miami (Miami Gardens, FL)
  • November 14: Boston College (Tallahassee, FL)
  • November 19: Syracuse (Syracuse, NY)
  • November 26: Florida (Tallahassee, FL)
And here's what the new model looks like.

New 2020 ACC Football Schedule

The ACC

The one non-conference game is specified as being an in-state matchup, and while this would typically be Florida, it doesn't look like that rivalry will be played this year, per news out of the SEC.

We'll keep an eye on which in-state squad the 'Noles add in the Gators' place, but in the meantime, let's examine what we do know: FSU has retained its games vs. NC State, Clemson, Louisville, Pitt, and Miami, which will all be played in their original locations. In addition to its non-con games against West Virginia, Samford, Boise State, and UF being scratched, the 'Noles also lose home games against Wake Forest, BC, and a roadie at Syracuse. Instead, they'll travel to Notre Dame and Duke, while hosting GT, UNC, and UVA.

Are there some fun matchups in there? Sure. But it's not exactly the most friendly revision for Florida State.

Here are SP+ preseason ranks of ACC teams, to evaluate strength of schedule, including Notre Dame, for this season anyway.

1. Clemson (3)
  2. Notre Dame (12)
  3. North Carolina (17)
  4. Miami (23)
  5. Florida State (26)
  6. Virginia Tech (32)
  7. Louisville (41)
  8. Pittsburgh (42)
  9. Virginia (44)
  10. Georgia Tech (58)
  11. NC State (62)
  12. Duke (69)
  13. Boston College (71)
  14. Wake Forest (81)
  15. Syracuse (95)
So the Seminoles retain their game against the conference's top team, while also adding matchups with the second-ranked Irish and the third-ranked Tar Heels. And FSU's rivalry matchup with Miami remains, too. Across the ACC, the only teams that have to play every top-four team are the 'Noles and the Demon Deacons.

FAQs on the new 2020 FB Schedule (RX; HM)

FAQs on the new 2020 FB Schedule

Just a few things people have started wondering about concerning the new 2020 ACC FB schedule...

Q: If the ACC is going to have just one division, won't they need an NCAA waiver?
A: No, because they will play only 10 or 11 scheduled games each. NCAA rules for conference championship games given an exemption when the two teams are playing their 13th game (NCAA rules cap it at 12 regular season games). Since the ACC will only play 11 games and a conference championship, no rule change is needed.

Q: How much later will the season run?
A: From September 7th-12th (formerly week two) for 13 weeks (i.e. the week of November 30th - December 5th). The ACC Championship Game would then be played on either December 12th or 19th - probably depending on availability of Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

Q: How many power five games will the ACC have now?
A: The original schedule had 56 ACC games plus 19 P5 non-conference games (including Notre Dame) for a total of 75. If we assume no P5 non-conference games at all, the new schedule has 5 X 15 = 75 games as well; however, if the ACC/SEC happen, they'd be up to 79 at least.

Coronavirus vs CFB - 7/29/20 (RX; HM)

Coronavirus vs CFB - 7/29/20

How wide-spread is COVID-19 among college football players? It's hard to say with so many schools withholding test results under cover of "privacy laws", but if we look at the P5 schools which have reported both number tested and number positives, we can get some idea at least...

P5 Schoolas of#tested#positive%positive
Clemson7/1029262.1%
Indiana7/811243.6%
Kansas St6/191301410.8%
Maryland7/2019200.0%
YTD737121.6%
Mich. State7/241222016.4%
Michigan7/219444.3%
YTD729131.8%
Miss. State6/1210044.0%
Notre Dame6/229911.0%
7/110300.0%
Penn State7/2446681.7%
Purdue7/24415276.5%
Texas Tech6/261972311.7%

The Clemson Tigers are the only ACC program which has gone the full disclosure route as far as I can tell, and they have reported 2.1% of those tested have come up positive in the latest round of tests (that includes four players and two staff members, by the way). Notre Dame has fully-disclosed two rounds of tests, with 1% positive in the first round and zero in the second.

Other

3ODAMEJXQBAQBH3AIH6FHTQ62U.jpg

Marty Richardson will open Chelsea’s Restaurant & Bar in the location that was home to Kelley’s for 33 years.Provided photo

Longtime restaurant owner buys Kelley’s, a community favorite that had fallen victim to the pandemic (PS; Miller)

It was the same question over and over again: “Are you sure about this?”

Marty Richardson gets it. She had asked herself the same question. “And the answer was always ‘Yes, I’m sure I want to buy this restaurant. I know we’re in a pandemic, but I can’t let this place just go away.‘”

Richardson, who has run Nestico’s...too! diner in Fairmount for 22 years, just bought the former Kelley’s Bar & Restaurant on Onondaga Hill. Kelley’s, a beloved Onondaga Hill hangout at 5076 Velasko Road, closed in March as restaurants throughout New York shut down to help slow the coronavirus.

Jon Kelley had hoped to reopen, but in June he and his family decided to close for good.

“That was our neighborhood place, and when I read how much Kelley’s meant to people, it made me so sad that I cried,” she said. “When the (‘Space Available’) sign went up a few days later, I decided I had to do this. I’ve never been so sure of something.”

The deal was finalized Tuesday afternoon, 130 days after Jon Kelley served his last meal at his restaurant of 37 years. Kelley’s will now be known as Chelsea’s Restaurant & Bar, named after Richardson’s 25-year-old daughter.

Richardson signed a lease for the building that comes with all the kitchen equipment, tables, chairs and barstools.

She’s already hired nearly the entire Kelley’s staff back, including executive chef Terrence McRae.

“I can’t believe how every person who worked there is so lovely,” she said. “They’re going to help me get the lay of the land while we try new things.”

Richardson knew this was the right fit when she first met with Kelley a few weeks ago. Kelley said the same thing. Several restaurant owners had shown interest in buying Kelley’s, but there was something about Richardson.

“She’ll bring an energy and enthusiasm that will make this place the community asset people always recognized it for,” he said. “I knew that right away.”

At their first meeting, Kelley and Richardson talked about their approach to the restaurant business and how they treat their employees.

Attachments

• 1596108851600.jpeg
    1596108851600.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 94
It looks like when the ACC sat down to make the new 2020 football schedule it may have started with the premise that Syracuse and BC would not play Miami or FSU this season.
see also "Did the ACC Get Geography Right?" on CardiacHill.

It looks like when the ACC sat down to make the new 2020 football schedule it may have started with the premise that Syracuse and BC would not play Miami or FSU this season.
see also "Did the ACC Get Geography Right?" on CardiacHill.
Here is what happened to the Syracuse schedule:

BC at home (was an away game)
Georgia Tech at home (unchanged)
Wake Forest at home (was an away game)
NC State at home (unchanged)
Duke at home (new; replaces Florida State)
at UL (was a home game)
at Clemson (unchanged)
at Pittsburgh (unchanged)
at North Carolina (new)
at Notre Dame (new)

I think just about everyone agrees that the 3 toughest teams in the ACC this season are Clemson, ND and UNC.

I believe Syracuse is the only ACC team to play Clemson and ND on the road. Getting ND and UNC, and getting both on the road was not great for a team looking to get to .500 again and just go to a bowl.

Getting Duke to replace FSU is close to a wash in my mind in terms of difficulty (teams usually take a hit with a totally new staff) but in terms of attractiveness of schedule, it hurts. We play 5 bad ACC teams at home; no big names and we play what are likely the 5 best ACC teams on the road.

Not kind to Syracuse by any means.

Honestly, the top priority should have been finding as many bus matchups as possible. I have no issue with pairing based on location. After that, I think the priority should have been on fairness.

I think they did a decent job with geography and screwed up fairness. At least as far as Syracuse is concerned.

Last edited:
Here is what happened to the Syracuse schedule:

BC at home (was an away game)
Georgia Tech at home (unchanged)
Wake Forest at home (was an away game)
NC State at home (unchanged)
Duke at home (new; replaces Florida State)
at UL (unchanged)
at Clemson (unchanged)
at Pittsburgh (unchanged)
at North Carolina (new)
at Notre Dame (new)
Louisville was originally a home game.

Liberty has three ACC games this year. They might as well borrow the ACC's Covid-19 response plan. If they don't they'll lose all three games.