Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
TP-Roll.png

Welcome to National Toilet Paper Day!

When asked what they would most want on a deserted island, almost half of all people choose toilet paper. Maybe that gives us a clue as to why there is a National Toilet Paper Day. It is one of those things we sometimes take for granted, until we can't find any. It wasn't always around though. Rich people used to wipe or clean themselves with wool, lace, or hemp, but common folk used things such as leaves, grass, seashells, corncobs, sponges on a stick, water, stones, hay, and yes, the smooth edges of broken pottery jugs. The first mention of paper being used for cleaning oneself is in China in the 6th century A.D. It was also in China, in the 14th century, that a form of toilet paper began being produced on a large scale. Commercial toilet paper as we think of it today was invented by Joseph Gayetty, and hit the market in 1857. This toilet paper was sold in flat sheet packages, and was available until the 1920's. Meanwhile, Seth Wheeler patented rolled toilet paper in 1883, and an improved version of it in 1891. Nowadays, close to 30,000 trees are used every day to make toilet paper, with an average tree producing 100 pounds. Americans love their toilet paper, using almost double the amount of other Western countries per person. This partly can be attributed to the use of bidets in some Western countries. Americans now like their toilet paper plain though. Starting in the 1960's, toilet paper was sometimes colored to match the hue of bathrooms. Pink and green rolls were very common. By the early 2000's colored toilet paper stopped being made in the United States, but it is still made in other parts of the world.

SU News

1106019_SUFBvsLouisville_MaxFreund_SP_DOM-29-of-72.jpg

Data breakdown: Syracuse’s defensive strain, exceptional special teams (DO; Dabbundo)

In this two-part series, The Daily Orange looked at where Syracuse’s offense and defense went wrong in 2019 and how they can improve their efficiency in 2020. Read the first part about Syracuse’s offense here.

After Syracuse head coach Dino Babers fired defensive coordinator Brian Ward following a Nov. 2 blowout 58-27 loss to Boston College, the Orange’s defense continued to struggle. Louisville and Wake Forest moved the ball routinely against SU. The Cardinals ran for 370 yards, and the Demon Deacons passed for 421.

In the offseason, SU hired Tony White from Arizona State to implement a 3-3-5 defense in 2020, but the coronavirus pandemic stalled progress in learning the new system leading up to the Orange’s season-opener on Sept. 12, Babers said.

Most notably, SU is replacing Kendall Coleman and Alton Robinson — its top two pass rushers who combined for 8.5 sacks in 2019 — and at least five starters from the group that began the final game against Wake Forest last season. The secondary might be the strongest point on the Orange’s entire roster with returning safety Andre Cisco and corners Trill Williams and Ifeatu Melifonwu.

Syracuse football's Tommy DeVito, Taj Harris talk improved connection and special defense (cnycentral.com; Hauswirth)

The Syracuse University football team has moved past preseason camp and is now in game week mode, continuing preparation for the North Carolina Tar Heels on September 12.

Players spoke with the media Tuesday night on zoom calls, as quarterback Tommy DeVito, receiver Taj Harris and safety Andre Cisco each had interviews with local reporters.

DeVito and Harris had their sparring matches last year, a difficult year for the Orange offense altogether.

But this time around, the two spoke highly of one another, explaining their connection on the field is deeper than ever before, along with their friendship as well.

"Oh yeah, Tommy [DeVito] and I have been getting after it since the last Wake Forest game," Harris responded. "The week after that, it was straight back at it. Me and him, I feel like, have pretty good timing. I've got a feel for him and he's got a feel for me. It's nothing new."

Additionally, the two also spoke highly of the Orange defense.

Head coach Dino Babers addressed the media Monday afternoon, sharing that the defense had come away victorious but that both sides made plays all over the field.

DeVito was very complimentary of the defense, explaining its athletic versatility, forcing the offense to improve during preseason camp.

"You know everybody that's in our secondary," DeVito added, "they're some big guys. The fact that our offense gets to go up against it every single day is just pushing us to be better and better. [Andre] Cisco and Trill [Williams] are always getting into it. They're always just feeding off each other's energy. Once that defensive energy gets rolling, it's hard to stop."

Fizz Film Room: Duce Chestnut’s Head Coach Dwayne Savage – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; video; Shults)

Fizz Film Room is a series where we’ll talk to high school coaches of Syracuse commits. Each episode will delve into the players strengths/ weaknesses, potential, and what they’re like off the field. You can listen to all of the episodes on the Orange Fizz SoundCloud or orangefizz.net.

Syracuse’s top rated recruit Duce Chestnut’s high school head coach Dwayne Savage gives an update on when SU fans can expect Chestnut to arrive to campus, and where he sees the 4-star recruit in five years.

Syracuse Football: Slippery slope to play if campuses keep shutting down (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is moving ahead, at least for now, with its fall schedule, but college-campus shutdowns could change things.

If college campuses around the country continue to move from residential experiences to online learning, that puts the prospect of Syracuse football and its peers in a tricky situation – and a moral dilemma – about pressing forward with a 2020 stanza.

Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, several schools in the Atlantic Coast Conference, where the Orange is a member and whose fall semester began on Monday, and elsewhere nationwide have paused their athletics activities due to positive Covid-19 cases, and some are transitioning to a virtual-learning environment – at least for now.

So, naturally, that begs the question: If the general student populations at these colleges and universities have been asked by their administrators to go home and conduct their studies online, then how safe – or fair – is it to ask football players to remain on their respective campuses in hope of a fall season transpiring?

Yes, these student-athletes who suit up in football receive scholarships, and undeniably those scholarships are valuable, but otherwise players are putting their health and safety at risk, in essence, to line the pockets of the schools whose uniforms they don, in addition to university presidents, athletics directors, coaches and other stakeholders.

e9eaf12c-6138-420c-84aa-960f3bcd62d4-Benson_LukeDuke2019.jpg

Central Bucks West grad Luke Benson set to build on success at Syracuse (buckscontycouriertimes.com; Markol)

When Luke Benson was a senior at Central Bucks West in the fall of 2018, the Bucks had a new football coach looking to go in a different direction.

But that new coach, Rob Rowan, knew that he needed help to do it.

Benson provided it.

"As a new coach coming in, you can't put a price on the importance of your team leader — one that had multiple college offers — buying in to what you're trying to do," Rowan said.

"And Luke did just that. He invested everything he had in us and the rest of the team followed his lead. He set the tempo for that team from Day One and never stopped working. And that has carried over even until now.

"The younger guys, who are now the seniors and juniors, also picked up on it then and it has stayed with them. That's the kind of impact that he had."

More:Change is the only constant as teams prepare to play football

A thumb injury to Benson early during that senior season — in the Bucks' second game — would eventually sideline him, but not before he played two more games.

"I knew something wasn't right when I came off the field," Benson said. "By the end of Week Four, I went and got X-rays and found out that I needed surgery.

Louisville Football: Game-by-game CC Staff Predictions (cardchronicle.com; Shea)

Syracuse (Friday, 11.20)

Keith – Louisville will run away with this one. Cuse has an outstanding secondary and their new scheme will be interesting to see. They just don’t have the speed on defense to keep up with Louisville. Their offense hasn’t been able to build with young guys so they end up having to find new play makers each year. I think it’ll be similar to the game last year.

Louisville 56 - Syracuse 28

Conor – I love you, Dino Babers, and 2018 so much fun, but I’m afraid at this point in the season your future at ‘Cuse may be looking pretty bleak. Cards pour it on after a much needed bye week.

Louisville 49 – Syracuse 20

Cardinal Strong – At this point in the season Syracuse football will be like that Jay-Z gif where he peeks into the room and then gives that “yikes” face before closing the door. With Dungey gone their offensive band-aid was ripped off in 2019 to reveal a gnarly flesh wound that may take a few seasons to heel. A new OC will help them out, but sketchy defense will not. After another tough year the Cards may play a part in giving Dino his walking Babers. (I don't think they’ll fire him, but I really like that joke so I left it in).

Louisville 56 - Syracuse 23

Seedy K – Dino Babers was Flavor of the Month after that Clemson win as 23 point dog in ‘17, and a 10-3 slate in ‘18. But, after last year’s losing campaign, the Orange fans are now back to contemplating whether Boeheim has lost his mojo, more than a return to the glory days of Jim Brown and Ernie Davis. Louisville bounces back.

Louisville 48 - Syracuse 20

Dino Babers: Calm in the Face of COVID (SI; video; Payne)

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers addressed the media virtually on Monday in a state of comfort and relaxation the likes of which 2020 has never seen. Dressed in a blue Hawaiian shirt that would make Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid proud, Babers confidently answered questions that have made the rest of the college football landscape sweat and second-guess.

Even members of his own conference have succumb to the heat associated with COVID-19. Fellow ACC member North Carolina announced last Monday that it would be shifting exclusively to online classes one week after reopening for the fall. Tar Heel head coach Mack Brown de-emphasized the significance of the crossover and even suggested it provided the team with a competitive advantage, saying "that helps us create a better seal around our program and a better bubble.” Babers says things are different at Syracuse.

"I just don't think that we're in the same situation as the state of North Carolina,” Babers said. "So I can see how he (Brown) might say that, but I'd much rather have people walking around as long as people were doing the right thing.”

People were walking around Monday as Syracuse students were back on campus for the first time since March. In that back-to-school mix were some of Babers’ football players, student athletes he says he can trust.

"My guys have been clean for a long period of time. They understand social distancing. They understand what six feet is. It comes somewhere really close to two yards on a football field, so I know they know the distance is. Some of those guys are taking classes online. And I bet you this would be the most lenient semester ever for missed absences where you could still get a good grade in class.”

Syracuse Football: QB Justin Lamson ‘risk-taker who just makes plays’ (itlh; Adler)

The strengths and weaknesses of Syracuse football 2021 QB commit Justin Lamson are discussed in a SI All-American evaluation.

At the beginning of July, Justin Lamson, a three-star and top-20 dual-threat quarterback in the 2021 recruiting cycle, committed to Syracuse football.

The decision by the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Lamson, a rising senior at Oak Ridge High School in El Dorado Hills, Calif., to don an Orange uniform over other suitors such as Louisville, Boise State, San Jose State and Wyoming proved huge for the ‘Cuse.

Not only is Lamson one of the premier 2021 dual-threat quarterbacks across the country, but per 247Sports he is also the No. 51 prospect in California, a state known for its vast amount of talented high-school football players.

He received the 2019 All-Metro Player of the Year honors from The Sacramento Bee, and that media outlet ahead of the upcoming term has named Lamson to its pre-season All-Metro squad.

John Garcia Jr., a recruiting analyst with SI All-American, which is the recruiting division of Sports Illustrated, has published an evaluation of Lamson that contains some intriguing information that Orange fanatics will want to check out.

According to Garcia, Lamson possesses “adequate height with developed build, particularly in upper torso and arms. Muscular thighs with room to add mass to trunk and lower half overall.”

Notre Dame Fighting Irish — 2020 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

NOTRE DAME JOINS A CONFERENCE, FINALLY

COVID-19 has changed many things in the college sports landscape. Some conferences (Pac-12, Big 10) have cancelled their football seasons. Others, like the ACC and Big 12 are forging ahead, planning on playing in empty stadiums.

And then there is the case of Notre Dame, who for the first time in school history will have its football program affiliated with a conference. In late July, the Fighting Irish and the ACC announced Notre Dame would be playing a 10-game conference schedule and be eligible to compete in the 2020 ACC Championship Game (they are a member of the ACC for all other sports).

In exchange, the Irish agreed to split all television revenue for the 2020 season with the other ACC schools, including Notre Dame’s home games broadcast by NBC.

The change in conference affiliation will allow Notre Dame to continue their quest for a national championship, something that has eluded head coach Brian Kelly in now his 10th season in South Bend.

In many respects, Kelly has been wildly successful at Notre Dame. Since 2010, he’s gone 92-37 (that total includes 2012 and 13 wins which were vacated), with only one losing season. Since that losing season (4-8 in 2016), Notre Dame has mostly dominated its competition, going 33-6, with wins in the Citrus and Camping World Bowl.

My nephew came back to visit me so I figured...why not react to something of his choice. we check out College Football DB from Syracuse Mr. Antwan Cordy

Which ACC, Big 12 & SEC Teams Should You Root For? (buildgthedam.com; Coach & Severs)

With Pac-12 football cancelled for this fall and other conferences, such as the ACC, Big 12 and SEC, looking like they’ll go ahead and play college football, we decided to figure out what teams you can root for in Oregon State’s place for one season.

ACC

The_Coach: Syracuse Orange - As a native New Yorker, I had to give some love to Syracuse. Head coach Dino Babers is entering his fifth season at the helm, while the program has achieved some amazing highs and seen some troubling lows as well. Their win over #2 Clemson back in 2017, one of the Tigers’ five losses in the past five years, was the moment that defined the Orange as giant killers. Maybe similar to Oregon State, at any given moment, Syracuse can always take down a big name foe.

John: Clemson Tigers - If I’m going to have to bandwagon some teams this fall, I might as well bandwagon one that has a shot at winning it all. Of those, Clemson seems to be the most enjoyable. A large part of that is Trevor Lawrence’s hair, but the whole team is fun to watch. I’m particularly excited to see what Amari Rodgers can do this year, now that he’s healthy and appears to be Lawrence’s top target.

TV money worth tens of millions keeps ACC football on the schedule :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; video; Arthur & Giglio)

ACC schools, including North Carolina State University, where coronavirus has reached the football team, are planning for an 11-game season to bring in tens of millions of dollars.

Five non-pandemic questions facing ACC college football in 2020 (thecomeback.com; McGuire)

The ACC, like the Big 12, intends to start its modified college football schedule in just a few short weeks. The Miami Hurricanes will be the first ACC team out of the gates with a Thursday night home opener against UAB on Sept. 10, and then the rest of the conference will jump in on the fun two days later on the first “full” Saturday of college football in 2020.

The conference storylines reach well beyond just how absurdly good Clemson is (they’re like, really freaking good), although it’s difficult to start any ACC preview article by mentioning that simple fact (again, they are really friggin’ good, you guys). But as great of a program Dabo Swinney has built, one that has a couple of national championships in the College Football Playoff era and has become a team expected to write its name in the field in Sharpie before playing a single down, you must remember that Clemson is coming off one of the most lopsided losses of the Dabo Swinney era (not quite West Virginia bad, of course), and it came in the national championship game. Clemson’s loss to Joe Burrow and LSU was mind-blowing, and more a testament to the storied season LSU experienced rather than any suggestion Clemson was being knocked down a few rungs on the college football ladder. Rest assured, Clemson will be back with a vengeance in 2020.

ACC teams will play a full 10-game schedule, and Notre Dame will officially join the conference for football this season (don’t get too comfortable with that idea). With no division format this season, the top two teams at the end of the season will be invited to play in the ACC Championship Game. So, who’s ready to try taking a bite out of Clemson this season?

What if the P5 Cut Out the Middle Man? (RX; HM)

What if the P5 Cut Out the Middle Man?

Want the ultimate prescription for making money with college athletics? Simple: cut out the middle man and sell directly to consumers!

No, not like the Pac-12 Network - which tried to skip one middle man (the sports networks) and sell to another (the cable and satellite providers) - I'm talking skip them all!

Here's an idea from a comment by JRSEC on CSNBBS...

Just having one big conference... that the schools controlled would help if... They bundled the product of all 65 [Power Five] schools, kept current conference affiliations (in name only), and sold a streaming package for all 5 conferences combined for [let's say] $250 per year (or $50 per month from September through January).

...Since the combined viewership of each conference is just over 100 million let's assume that not having network exposure initially costs us 30 million subscribers combined. So hypothetically we have 70 million viewers paying the new entity $50 a month for 5 months for football. That equals $17.5 billion in straight revenue divided by 65 schools which comes to $269.23 million per school. And that's just for football. If basketball is worth 20% of that and if we are a breakaway and have our own tournament that will be $53.846 million more per school without the tournament for those who subscribe to college basketball season as well. The tournament is worth $1.2 billion to ESPN so lets say it is worth 1 billion to the upper tier. That's another $15,384,000 per school.

I could add baseball/softball subscriptions plus the associated World Series for each and add Hockey for the Big 10 schools but that's just a nice cherry on top of the other pile of cash.

Seating capacity guidelines for every ACC team in 2020 (247sports.com; Gates)

The 2020 college football season is just a few weeks away and after months of speculating about whether or not the season would take place, it looks like we’ll get to see college football in some fashion. The Big Ten and the Pac-12 have decided to opt out of playing this fall, hoping to play in the spring, but the rest of the Power Five conferences are moving forward as planned.

The ACC is obviously part of the group that will take the field this year and play its schedule as planned. Changes have been made, as the league teams will play 10 games in the conference and one game out of conference, but it will be football, no less. However, while there will be football played, it won’t look 100 percent normal.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic limiting gathering in large groups for the time being, colleges that are playing this fall have announced alternate seating options for its fans. Whether it is an empty stadium of fans, or limited to a certain percent, the one thing for certain is that there will not be tens of thousands of fans squeezed into a stadium this fall.

So what might football gamedays look like in the ACC this fall? Will fans be able to go to their teams’ games and still manage to sit in the stands, or will it be a full season of college football watched from the TV? Here is what every ACC team is planning on doing with its fan seating this year, according to reports compiled by ACCSports.com.

BOSTON COLLEGE

‎Cover 3 College Football Podcast: 2020 ACC Win Totals (08/17) on Apple Podcasts (podcasts.apple.com; podcast; Many)

Predicting the conference records for all 15 ACC teams. Barton Simmons, Tom Fornelli, Danny Kanell and Chip Patterson break down the win totals for Boston College (3:40), Clemson (10:55), Duke (20:00), Florida State (26:50), Georgia Tech (34:00), Louisville (41:15), Miami (47:20), North Carolina (57:23), NC State (1:02:50), Notre Dame (1:09:00), Pitt (1:12:30), Syracuse (1:18:00). Virginia (1:21:40), Virginia Tech (1:26:00) and Wake Forest (1:30:30).

Other

Syracuse to host world premiere of ‘The Binge’ movie at NYS Fair drive-in (PS; Herbert)

American High’s latest movie filmed in Central New York is headed to the big screen for one night only tomorrow — and only in Syracuse.

“The Binge,” starring Vince Vaughn, Skyler Gisondo, Dexter Darden, and Eduardo Franco, will get its world premiere on Thursday, Aug. 27 at the New York State Fair Drive-In. Gates open at 6 p.m. and the movie begins at 9 p.m.

Admission will be free for the screening in the NYS Fair’s Orange Lot; a souvenir premiere admission ticket will be distributed to the first 200 attendees. A variety of food trucks will be on site.

The movie is rated TV-MA. No one under 17 will be admitted even if accompanied by an adult; all attendees will be required to provide proof of age.

Indoor movie theaters remain closed in New York state due to the coronavirus, but Gov. Andrew Cuomo has allowed drive-ins to operate as an exception to Covid-19 restrictions on entertainment; cars are spaced out to ensure social distancing. The NYS Fair, canceled this year, has been hosting pop-up drive-in movie nights in the Orange Lot on weekends with a variety of fair foods.

“The Binge” will not be shown at any other theater nationwide. The Hulu original movie premieres on the streaming service Friday, Aug. 28.

The party comedy puts a funny twist on the premise of “The Purge” horror films: “Set in a time where all drugs and alcohol are illegal, the only day anyone can participate in the ‘fun’ is on Binge day.” The movie follows three friends as they turn 18 and are eligible to participate in the Big Binge Party for the first time in the near future (the year 2032).

Last edited: