Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200w.gif

Welcome to Fish Fingers and Custard Day!

Fish Fingers and Custard Day commemorates the introduction of the Eleventh Doctor on the television series Doctor Who, as well as the memorable fish fingers and custard scene from the episode in which he arrives. The episode, which was released on April 3, 2010, is the first from Series 5 of the show, and is titled "The Eleventh Hour." BBC declared the first Fish Fingers and Custard Day to take place on the second anniversary of the release of the episode. The following year, Birdseye even put the Doctor, who was played by Matt Smith, on their boxes. The day is marked by people eating fish fingers and custard and sharing photos and videos of them doing so.

How to Observe Fish Fingers and Custard Day

The best way to mark the day is to eat fish fingers and custard. You could film or photograph yourself while doing so and then post them online as a response to the Doctor Who scene. There are some recipes online specifically for fish fingers and custard for the day. There are many types of British-styled custard recipes online that you could try your hand at making. You could also watch the fish fingers and custard episode of Doctor Who or perhaps the whole season that it's from.

SU News

Spring Football Notebook 2024: Chestnut at safety, changing defensive scheme (DO; O'Brien)

Fran Brown, sporting his shorts on a cloudy day, took a unique approach to coaching his cornerbacks. Not only was he in their faces, but he also took on the role of a player, throwing passes to them while shouting instructions.

He threw the ball to corners Jayden Bellamy and Marcellus Barnes Jr. while giving them both praise for the catches they made. Brown, along with his fellow position coaches like tight ends coach Michael Johnson and offensive coordinator and running backs coach Jeff Nixon, became active participants in their drills, throwing passes themselves instead of an assistant.

The head coach felt omnipresent outdoors, occasionally sporting his microphone to get the entire team’s attention even as he moved around during the stretch lines. Brown still had to focus on the whole team and not just defensive backs. On a play where Duce Chestnut forced an incompletion against tight end Dan Villari, Brown hyped up Chestnut but in a split second, got into Villari’s face and told him how to be better.

“He’s challenging everybody,” linebacker Marlowe Wax said of Brown. “He’s attacking every single person on the team, even the guys that people don’t know about.”

Here are some observations from Syracuse’s fifth spring football practice available to the media:

Chestnut’s return

Chestnut, who played in only four games at Louisiana State, announced his return to Syracuse at midnight on New Year’s Day. He returns to a defensive backfield that features veterans like Justin Barron and Alijah Clark.

Chestnut, who was at corner for SU and LSU, will now try his hand at playing safety, though. Brown said the decision came down to having the most talent on the field at all times. He added that if Chestnut was a corner, the redshirt junior would probably be better than some of the current corners.

But Brown said Chestnut has the natural instincts, catching ability and willingness to cover tight ends to attract professional teams. After forcing an incompletion against Villari during the goal line drill, Chestnut ended it with an interception right in front of the end zone as the position groups branched off into their respective drills.

“Why not put him in a position where he can succeed?” Brown said. “And he’ll have an opportunity and the chance to play after college football.”

Detailed defensive backs

If you talk to any current Syracuse player or coach, you will hear the acronym “DART” – detail, accountable, relentless and tough – which stemmed from Brown’s opening press conference. It will be mentioned at least once when any of them talk to the media. But the Orange’s defensive backs already received some detailed mentorship from Brown and new defensive backs coach Joe Schaefer.

Brown discussed working on cornerbacks’ “eye discipline” when asked about changing the position group. Schaefer expanded on this by saying that players’ eyes would be in different places whether the Orange are playing in a man or zone defense. It also depended on if the team was playing middle of the field defense or split safety defense, Schaefer said.

“They gotta have great detail in every single thing they do,” Schaefer said. “And it starts usually every snap with their eye discipline.”

Linebackers’ change in the scheme

With Elijah Robinson shifting the Syracuse defense to a 4-2-5 instead of the previous 3-3-5, veteran linebacker Derek McDonald has had to make a change in how they are positioned on the field.

(youtube; podcast; Axe)

On the latest episode of Syracuse Sports, Brent Axe and Emily Leiker put the focus on Syracuse football's secondary and how it is shaping up in Fran Brown's new defense. Brent and Emily give you their observations on the secondary from recent SU football practices, who is rounding out into starting positions in that unit and describe the importance of the "Star" role in the defense.

With Brown’s focus on it, SU secondary eager for extra work (podcast) (PS; $; Axe)

Back in December, before Fran Brown even started leading Syracuse football practices, Justin Barron knew having a longtime defensive backs coach as head coach would be beneficial.

“To have a head coach who defensive backs are his babies now, it’s exciting,” Barron said at the time. “We get the special treatment now. It’s about time.”

Syracuse’s secondary gets to be the darlings of its head coach as long as he’s here. It’s the first time many in the position group have had the type of hands-on, up-close attention day-to-day from a head coach that Brown’s now giving them. He’s spent every day of spring camp thus far right alongside the group.

Brown’s coaching, along with that of defensive backs coach Joe Schaefer, is fueling an eagerness to learn and grow among the secondary, even among its several veteran players.

“They’re always asking questions, which is a huge piece,” Schaefer said Tuesday. “If we were to leave practice and not see ‘em again for the rest of the day, which some places it’s like that — these guys come back. They want extra film work. They want extra drill work. That piece of it, that feels like it gives you a shot.”

Marcellus Barnes Jr., one of SU’s early enrolled true freshmen, is always asking for extra time with coaches, sometimes trying to pull them out of staff meetings to talk with them, Brown said. The four-star out of Tennessee is making a case for his spot on the depth chart this spring at cornerback, the subgroup Brown’s been working most closely with.

That group also includes Jayden Bellamy, who started seven games for the Orange last year and appeared in four more, and Devin Grant, the Buffalo transfer who led the Mid-American Conference in interceptions last season.

Bellamy and Grant are poised to be the starters at cornerback, though Barnes is certainly in contention to lock up a spot on the depth chart.

Barnes earned a shoutout from veteran wide receiver Jackson Meeks alongside Grant as defensive backs who he’s been impressed with so far in spring ball. On Tuesday, Barnes nearly intercepted a pass by backup quarterback Braden Davis.

The other three players working at cornerback under Brown are Greg Delaine — another strong contender for the depth chart — Nebraska transfer Jalil Martin and walk-on Clay Masters.

Schaefer is in charge of the two high safeties and the star position, a hybrid between safety and outside linebacker akin to the rover position used in the 3-3-5 defense SU ran in recent seasons.

The Juice Online - 4 observations from Syracuse football's April 2 practice (r1vals.com; Tramdaks)

Syracuse Football wrapped up its sixth practice under new coach Fran Brown on a gloomy April morning.
It is the start of a longer week for the Orange as they have another practice Thursday and an intra-squad scrimmage coming this Saturday.
Here are some observations from today's practice and media availability.

McCord Has Interesting Weapons

Losing the team's leading receiver, Damien Alford, following the conclusion of the season was a tough loss, but Fran Brown quickly filled that void with transfers from Georgia, Zeed Hayes and Jackson Meeks.

Hayes has the makings of a very interesting slot receiver, and Meeks can be a significant physical vertical threat (6’2” 205lbs).
Hayes has a quick first step, which will let him explode off the scrimmage line.

Adding these guys in tandem with Donovan Brown and Oronde Gadsden certainly gives the team many intriguing options.
Donovan Brown made some nice plays in the 1-on-1 portion of practice, which gives more hope as he improves upon last season.

Coach Fran Brown on the upcoming intra-squad scrimmage this Saturday: pic.twitter.com/dDRcCeXUi3
— The Juice on Rivals (@TheJuiceOnline) April 2, 2024

Defensive DNA

McCord's addition has certainly grabbed attention as a high-profile acquisition, given his talent as a quarterback and his pedigree from OSU.
But the most substantial improvements this offseason have occurred on the defensive side of the team.

With Brown's coaching history, Syracuse will now place significant emphasis on defensive strength, not just in the secondary but also among the edge rushers and linebackers.

It certainly felt that way at practice. A lot of attention was spent on what the defense did, especially during the 1-on-1 drills and the full team drives.

Marlowe Wax "The 315" 4-2-24 (soundcloud.com; radio; The 315)

Syracuse football linebacker Marlowe Wax joins Brian Higgins at Spring Practice to discuss the direction of the program, his decision to return to the Orange, and more.

Newhouse after Noon 4-2-24 (soundcloud.com; radio; Newhouse after Noon)

Michael Ostrowski, Jackson Holzer, and Jacob Kaye begin today's show discussing Fran Brown's impact on the Syracuse football program as Spring Practice rolls on. Then, Connor McGahan, Dylan Beyer, and James Wildhack share what they believe next season's Syracuse men's basketball roster will look like, and should look like, with Maliq Brown entering the transfer portal.

Matthew Hawn discusses Syracuse football commitment (247sports.com; McAllister)

Syracuse
football picked up a commitment from local offensive lineman Matthew Hawn out of Christian Brothers Academy (CBA) on Monday.

"There really wasn't just one reason," Hawn said. "It was the culmination of a lot of reasons. I really love the coaching staff. I love Fran Brown, I love coach Nixon, I love coach Williams, the rest of the staff. They're really building something big, I think, and I have faith in their program, in their culture and what they're building. Part of the decision is staying close to home, for sure. It's kind of cool to be able to play in my hometown. Also, it's a great academic school and has what I want to major in. All those together made it the reason why I wanted to go to Syracuse."

The 6-6, 290 pounder is not the only player from CBA now committed to the Orange. The number one player in New York State, wide receiver Darien Williams, is as well. The two high school teammates will now team up for their hometown college football team.

"He was super excited," Hawn said. "He was talking about us staying home together and doing great things at Syracuse. We've had a long stretch together at the high school level and we're looking to continue that at the collegiate level."

Hawn had been to Syracuse for visits twice recently. Once last week for a spring practice and then another time Monday morning. It was during Monday's visit that he told the Syracuse coaches he was joining the program.

"I've been on a few visits," Hawn said. "Thursday, I attended a spring practice and went to the meeting before. That was kind of another reason because I've been to a lot of practices and Syracuse was without a doubt the most intense. Especially since the last staff. I went to some practices with the old staff and the new staff is just really intense, really focused and you can tell they're really in it to win it. Then today, I committed early in the morning, went on a tour of the campus, the school of engineering and the dorms.

"I told coach Nixon a couple days ago, 'is there anyway I can meet with coach Brown, coach Williams and yourself' because they were all recruiting me pretty heavily and I wanted to tell them at the same time. My parents were with me. We all met in coach Brown's office and I committed."

With his commitment out of the way, Hawn can focus on his development and his senior season. He says he is bringing versatility and athleticism to the Syracuse offensive line.

"I like to consider myself a very athletic offensive lineman," Hawn said. "I run the shuttle and have the same broad jump as a lot of tight ends. Being able to move is an important part. I want to bring speed to the Syracuse offensive line. That's what coach Brown and coach Nixon were saying too. They want to have speed not just big guys. I'm looking forward to bringing my athleticism to the Syracuse offensive line."

Hawn picked Syracuse over offers from Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and others.

Screen-Shot-2024-04-02-at-10.15.19-AM.png

Syracuse Football 2025 Recruiting Up to No. 15 Ranking (orangefizz.net; Aitken)

Yes, that picture is real. Syracuse football’s 2025 recruiting class is ranked above Georgia right now. The Orange, according to 247 Sports, have a top-15 class in the nation.

New head coach Fran Brown has already done wonders this offseason, bringing in top-40 rankings in the class of ‘24 and this season’s transfer class. If you had concerns of Brown being a one-hit wonder, those concerns should be eased.

Despite the high ranking, there are some things to keep in mind. For one, SU already has 10 commitments. That’s substantially more than other teams ranked below the Orange, so as those teams catch up in number of commitments, they could leapfrog Syracuse football in the 2025 recruiting rankings.

Another point of hesitation is that SU has just one four-star recruit and no five-star recruits. Every other team in the top-20 has multiple four-stars.

So that’s the negative, but what’s the positive? Well, firstly, it’s clearly splitting hairs to be pointing out any flaws with what could be one of the program’s best recruiting classes ever.

Despite the high ranking, there are some things to keep in mind. For one, SU already has 10 commitments. That’s substantially more than other teams ranked below the Orange, so as those teams catch up in number of commitments, they could leapfrog Syracuse football in the 2025 recruiting rankings.

Walters Inducted into Philly Sports Hall of Fame - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Former Orange lineman and 13-year NFL vet Stan Walters, is will be inducted into the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame as part of its 2024 class.
Walters, who was drafted out of Syracuse in the 1972 NFL Draft spent three seasons in Cincinnati before going on to play for the Eagles from 1975-83. While in Philadelphia, he was a two-time Pro Bowl selection and three-time All-Pro selection.

Walters anchored an offensive line that helped the Eagles reach four-straight postseason appearances, including a trip to Super Bowl XV. He played in 125 out of 127 possible games in his Eagles' tenure, including 122 straight over his first eight seasons with the club.

The 2024 Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame class includes, A.W. Tillinghast, Alice Putnam Willetts, Andy Talley, Angelo Cataldi, Brendan Hansen, Chase Utley, Cheryl Reeve, Eddie Stanky, George Benton, Jameer Nelson, Joan Moore, Lurline Jones, Paul Westhead, Rod Brind Amour and Ryan Howard, in addition to Walters.

Walters then went on to become a color analyst on Eagles' radio broadcasts until 1997. He was inducted into the Philadelphia Ring of Honor in 1991.

The induction Ceremony for the 2024 class of the Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame will take place on Thursday, November 7. For more information on the upcoming ceremony please visit:
https://www.philadelphiasportshalloffame.org/

PUNCH-TACKLE...ND Defender Throws a Hook to End Syracuse QB, 1960s football was tough!

ACC News

ACC Realignment would be hardest on Wake Forest, Syracuse, Boston College l College Football Podcast (cbs8.com; video)

The ACC could struggle to survive if Florida State and Clemson are successful in their attempts to leave the league. Who most needs the league to stick around? (Their opinion: BC, Syracuse and Wake Forest).

CFB: ACC teams plagued with quarterback questions ahead of 2024 season (SI; Borba)

It's the most important position in all of sports and in most cases is the difference between your team being great, or just another middle of the pack program.

Every team is hoping they have the right one or is hoping they can land the one that can fix all of their problems. Unlike the Pac-12 this past season which was veteran-heavy and had proven quarterbacks all over the place, the ACC has a handful of programs that are putting a lot of faith in unproven quarterbacks, or simply need monster seasons from their new quarterback to take their team to the next level, or save a coach from being on the hot seat. It's a lot of pressure yes, but it comes with the gig.

Let's dive into the ACC programs with the biggest questions at quarterback in 2024.

Florida State: Can DJ Uiagalelei pick up where Jordan Travis left off?

Florida State had a fantastic season this past year, winning the ACC and going undefeated in the regular season. Unfortunately for them, they were snubbed from the College Football Playoff due to Jordan Travis breaking his leg, but he catapulted the program in the right direction. They went to the portal to find his replacement and landed former Clemson and Oregon State quarterback DJ Uiagalelei. The former five-star struggled at Clemson and was eventually replaced by Cade Klubnik, but found some momentum in Corvallis. However, with the Seminoles looking to continue as one of the best teams in the sport, it feels fair to question if Uiagalelei who has struggled with accuracy and decision making can get them there.

Miami: Can Cam Ward save the Mario Cristobal era?

Cam Ward had a whirlwind of recruitment in the transfer portal and at one point even declared for the NFL Draft at one point. However, Miami was able to pull some strings and get him in a Hurricanes uniform. While it was by far the biggest addition of the offseason in college football, there is some pressure surrounding Ward. Miami is 12-13 under Mario Christobal, which means that if there isn't progress next season, Christobal could be on the chopping block.

Stanford: Will freshman Elijah Brown snatch the starting job?

The Stanford Cardinal had a quarterback battle heading into last season between four quarterbacks who had combined for around 40 career passing attempts. Ashton Daniels ended up being the most consistent, but that wasn't saying much considering he completed just 58% of his passes and threw 11 touchdowns to eight picks. Justin Lamson was used more so in the run game and also struggled with accuracy. They will both have a chance to contend for the role again, but four-star freshman Elijah Brown out of football powerhouse Mater Dei is also in the fold. He is looking to push for the starting role, which can certainly happen if he is able to make better decisions and be more accurate then the other two. He is one of the more accomplished high school quarterbacks of all time, and could be the recruit that helps turn the program around.

Duke: Can Maalik Murphy be consistent?

In a quarterback room with former five-stars Quinn Ewers and Arch Manning, Maalik Murphy fell victim to timing. He and Ewers came in the same year, and Ewers who had started the last two years decided to return for a third season. Murphy did however get a few opportunities to showcase his skillset this past year when Ewers went down with an injury, and put his huge arm and charisma on display. He also showed signs of being a young quarterback who hadn't played much, and at times would make costly errors. At Duke, he will have less pressure since the fan base won't be calling for Manning after every mistake, and he will also have a chance to prove himself and grow. If he is able to cut down on the mental lapses, he could be one of the sport's next stars.

Qs for ACC FB 2024 (CBS) (RX; HM)

Qs for ACC FB 2024 (CBS)

From CBS Sports: "Questions for each ACC team in spring: Florida State WRs emerging, Clemson QB developing among storylines" by Chip Patterson, Mar 29, 2024

I'm only including a brief sample of each point -- to read the rest, click on the link.

Boston College
How will Bill O'Brien's arrival impact QB Thomas Castellanos?

There is still plenty of room for Castellanos to improve... O'Brien has the profile to be able to guide Castellanos to the next level of his development.

Cal
Can Fernando Mendoza carry over last year's progress?

Justin Wilcox and the offensive coaching staff... brought in Chandler Rogers from North Texas... while Mendoza has experience in the program, it is Rogers who has the overall experience and production edge in the battle.

Clemson
Can Cade Klubnik level up his game?

Clemson's coaching staff is challenging Klubnik... to unlock the offense's full potential... This is not a one-man scenario, though; Clemson needs pass catchers and a solid offensive line to help Klubnik...

Duke
Will Maalik Murphy prove to be a splash transfer signing?

Murphy... [beat] out Arch Manning for the backup quarterback role at Texas behind Quinn Ewers... went 2-0 as a starter in Ewers' absence... one of the more intriguing transfer portal quarterbacks...

Florida State
Which difference-makers emerge at wide receiver?

assume that DJ Uiagalalei is going to take over at quarterback... [who will] be replacing the production of multiple NFL Draft-bound pass catchers?

Georgia Tech
How does the passing attack build on the success of 2023?

an offense that had one of the biggest single-season improvements in the ACC... 2,842 yards and 27 touchdowns.. [returning are the QB and] many of the key pass catchers from last season...

Louisville
What transfers emerge as the top difference-makers?

Louisville has loaded up on transfer portal talent... Of the 26 transfer portal signees, 24 are with the team for spring practice... plenty of players expected to be key contributors in 2024...

Miami
Is Cam Ward the key to a Mario Cristobal breakthrough season?

QB Cam Ward... electric playmaker... Miami is loaded up along both lines of scrimmage and has a pair of high-end wide receivers... table is set for Ward to have a good season...

North Carolina
Who replaces Drake Maye?

Mack Brown has enjoyed five consecutive seasons of having future NFL talent at quarterback... this does feel like the most uncertainty there's been at the position since his return to Chapel Hill...

NC State
Can the Wolfpack maintain success with a retooled roster?

NC State has evolved into a steady and reliable winner, totaling 34 wins over the last four seasons with two top-25 finishes... portal additions address some needs... seemingly favorable schedule...

Pitt
Is a bounce-back season in store in 2024?

...six bowls in eight years with an ACC championship in 2021 and top-25 finishes in both 2021 and 2022 made last year's 3-9 season so disorienting... new offensive coordinator Kade Bell has arrived from Western Carolina with a new scheme that's reportedly a bit more up-tempo and easier to install... Pitt ranked last in the ACC in both total offense and scoring last season...

SMU
Is Preston Stone poised to be the ACC's breakout star in 2024?

Of the three newcomers... the one that enters with the most momentum is SMU... If SMU is going to have a successful [ACC] debut... it will likely include a strong showing from quarterback Preston Stone... ranked in the top-15 nationally for both passing touchdowns (28) and passer rating (161.3), and had nine games with multiple touchdown passes... before a season-ending injury...

Stanford
Can Elijah Brown push for the starting job?

...Cardinal offense that ranked near the bottom of the Pac-12 in both scoring (11th) and total offense (10th). Enter Elijah Brown, a four-star prospect from California power house Mater Dei High School with two state championships to his name. As an early enrollee, he'll get a crack at the starting job this spring...

Syracuse
Can Kyle McCord get in sync with Oronde Gadsden?

First-year coach Fran Brown has... a capable [QB] option with former Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord... how McCord establishes chemistry with Oronde Gadsden... first team All-ACC in 2022 [who] suffered a season-ending injury in the second game of 2023...

Should I Stay or Should I Go - ACC vs XII (RX; HM)

Should I Stay or Should I Go - ACC vs XII

Now that April Fool's Day is over, we can seriously discuss realignment...
247Sports suggested recently that if the ACC breaks up, some teams will NOT end up in either the SEC or Big Ten. Probably true. Then they suggest where those schools would end up...

If this is true, then Miami, VT, NC State, and Duke should all fight to preserve the ACC long-term (not just to get money from FSU and Clemson!)

Go to the negotiating table and secure the LONG-TERM future of the ACC! https://t.co/vlnGbw6Tv6
— Hokie Mark (@mark_hokie) March 20, 2024

Projected Landing Spots (by 247Sports):
  • B1G: Florida State, Virginia
  • SEC: Clemson, N Carolina
  • XII: Miami, NC State
  • TBD: Virginia Tech, Duke
Not that I disagree (the B1G and SEC can't take everybody, can they?), but if you're the leaders of a school that is NOT guaranteed a "golden parachute", shouldn't you be fighting with everything you've got to ensure the long-term future of the ACC? Or, if it's your only real alternative, is the Big XII really better?

How Much does ACCDN Make on FB Replays? (RX; HM)

How Much does ACCDN Make on FB Replays?

Let's put one thing to bed right now: pure ad-based streaming of non-live (pre-recorded) ACC football games just doesn't make much money. Here are the most-viewed ACC football replays of the 2023 regular season as posted on the ACC Digital Network* YouTube Channel, along with estimated advertising revenue (based on $4 per 1,000 views):

2023 ACC Football Replays on the ACCDN YouTube Channel
Game MatchupType VideoViewsEst.$
LSU vs. Florida StateFull Game839,000$3,356
Texas A+M vs. MiamiFull Game387,000$1,548
Clemson vs. MiamiFull Game384,000$1,536
Florida State vs. ClemsonFull Game306,000$1,224
Clemson vs. DukeFull Game269,000$1,076
Georgia Tech vs. MiamiFull Game210,000$840
N Carolina vs. S CarolinaFull Game159,000$636
Miami vs. Florida StateFull Game153,000$612
App. State vs. N CarolinaFull Game138,000$552
Notre Dame vs. DukeFull Game133,000$532
Duke vs. Florida StateCondensed117,000$468
North Carolina vs. ClemsonFull Game88,000$352
Syracuse vs. Florida StateFull Game69,000$276
Louisville vs. FSU ACC CGFull Game62,000$248

Are Florida State and Clemson leaving for the Big 10? April Fools sends rumor mill spinning (tallahasse.com; Rorabaugh & Henry)

If you've been following the ongoing saga between Florida State and the ACC, April Fools' Day might have gotten under your skin a little more than usual.

Joke posts on social media aren't anything new, but neither are rumors around FSU and its legal fight to leave the conference for greener pastures in the Big Ten or SEC. With Clemson now joining the fray, the questions are only increasing. Would the Seminoles and Tigers leave together? Are they going to bring Miami with them? Just how much money is at stake with the ACC's TV deal, and how much is ESPN to blame for all this?

Nothing is set in stone yet regarding FSU bolting from the ACC, though that path is starting to clear. Here's what we know:

What are the new rumors that Florida State is leaving for the Big 10?

On March 31, a series of fake posts went up on the site formerly known as Twitter that seemingly came from the FSU and Clemson football accounts. The posts announced the schools were leaving the ACC for the Big Ten, and they were accompanied the following morning by a story on a Penn State blog. See if you can spot the issue.

Turns out it was all an April Fools' joke. The Clemson handle in the post swapped out the "L" in Clemson for an "I," a common tactic in joke posting that is easy to overlook without close examination. The prank even involved a fake account for ESPN reporter Pete Thamel seemingly corroborating the report. On Tuesday afternoon, if you Googled "FSU to the Big 10," the top result was a snippet from the joke story claiming "The Big Ten is now the Big Twenty."

The prank fooled plenty of college sports fans, if only for a moment. Posters on Reddit's college football message board talked about how they almost got got (they also made sure to discuss how much they hate April Fools' Day jokes).

Why are there so many rumors around FSU joining the Big 10?

The Onward State prank worked so well because fans are constantly looking for tips on the next big move in college football. Fans are scrutinizing every part of the ongoing FSU-ACC lawsuit and looking for signs that the two super-conferences are growing.

This post highlights the Seminole Boosters tour and its scheduled stop April 24 in Chicago, less than 20 miles from Big Ten headquarters in Rosemont, Illinois. The only other stops outside Florida are in Atlanta and Pittsburgh, another ACC town.

Is FSU leaving the ACC?

Florida State is trying to exit the ACC's "grant of rights" media deal, which transfers each conference school's media rights over to the conference. Similar agreements exist across college sports, but FSU claims the ACC's deal, which is due to expire in 2036, puts the conference at a competitive disadvantage against the rising powers of the Big Ten and SEC.

On March 27, FSU wrote in a legal filing that it intended to leave the ACC. "The ACC’s objective is to take that Florida property for the next dozen years after FSU exits the ACC and ceases to be a 'Conference Institution,'" the filing states.

Why is Florida State suing to leave the ACC?

For years, Florida State leaders have been vocal in their displeasure over the conference's revenue sharing plan. Most complaints circle around the ACC's TV contract with ESPN, which extends through 2036 even as the network made substantial cuts. The Big Ten signed a seven-year, $8 billion deal to air games between Fox, CBS and NBC that went into effect this season. Next year, the SEC starts a 10-year, $3 billion deal to move from CBS to ESPN.

Those deals include huge payouts for the schools. Florida coach Billy Napier said projections show each SEC school would get millions more from the new deal, rising from $55 million to potentially more than $70 million. Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said Big Ten schools will receive about $80 million each year from its TV contract, whereas FSU currently receives $42 million. And on top of that, FSU officials have said it would cost $572 million to break the ACC's grant of rights deal and exit the conference.

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...ate-benefit-most-new-college-football-playoff (athlonsports.com; Vitale)

The College Football Playoff expanding to 12 teams this year is sure to shake up the sport for better or worse, depending on how you cheer for.

If you're a fan of the Penn State Nittany Lions, you should be ecstatic about the expansion of the CFP from four to 12 teams, said ESPN's Greg McElroy on Monday's episode of Always College Football.
That's because, according to McElroy, no team is set to benefit more than the Nittany Lions when the playoff expands.

"A team that's just been on the outside looking in on multiple occasions. Been to a couple Rose Bowls. Has done a lot of good things, just has not quite been able to get over the hump," McElroy started.

"Now, I think Penn State's probably the team that's going to benefit maybe more than anyone else in the entire country with the new format that we have in the playoff."

Penn State has never made the four-team CFP, but has, for the most part, finished as a top-15 team in the nation. With the expanded CFP coming this season, Penn State just needs to keep doing what it's been doing and it should find itself in the playoff.

Stay updated with the most interesting sports stories, analysis, and breaking news for the NFL, NBA, college football, college basketball, and more! Tap the star to add us to your favorites on Google News to never miss a story.

EA Sports College Football 25 Likely To Release in July (cfn; Helms)

One of the most anticipated sports video games of all time may have a release date, at least according to one of the personalities involved in its production.

ESPN announcer and personality Kirk Herbstreit joined the “Pat McAfee Show” Monday afternoon to EA Sports College Football 25, sharing a potential July release in the process.

Kirk Herbstreit Reveals Likely Release Date for EA Sports College Football 25

Herbstreit has been heavily involved in the promotion and discourse around the first college football video game since 2013 and joined the “Pat McAfee Show” on Monday to discuss all things EA Sports College Football 25.

During that interview, he dropped two very interesting pieces of information.

“There are a variety of voices,” Herbstreit said regarding the announcers in the game. “In the past it was the same two people calling every game. Now, I think there will be different broadcast booths for different types of games that you play. I think it comes out in July.”

First, Herbstreit’s information about the different announcers makes sense, given the different personalities already announced to be a part of the game, but it’s something that has never been done in the college football series.

EA has used this method of announcing in several other games, namely the recently renamed EA Sports FC series. In that game, players hear alternative commentators for games in different leagues. One would assume that if that model is followed, EA College Football 25 players will hear conference-specific commentators.

Second and perhaps more importantly, Herbstreit casually announced that the game is expected to be released in July. This further narrows the stated “summer” release that has been speculated on for months.

Some players might be disappointed as one theory read into three numbers in the initial trailer, thinking they suggested a June 7 release date.

We still don’t have an exact release date for EA Sports College Football 25, but we’re getting closer to knowing when players can finally play as their favorite college football teams.

Other

Solar eclipse in Syracuse: Tourists have booked every hotel room on Sunday (PS; $; Moriarty)

Tourists planning to descend on Central New York for the total solar eclipse have booked up every hotel room in Syracuse on Sunday -- some at prices up to three times normal rates.

Usually, an early April day fills about 25% of the hotel rooms in the Syracuse area.

This Sunday, the hotels will be packed like they are during the State Fair or Syracuse University graduation weekend. A check of the Visit Syracuse website shows not a single hotel room available in and around Syracuse on Sunday.

“People have been calling all week, asking about the eclipse,” said Zachary Caza, front desk manager at the Embassy Suites at Destiny USA.

Too late, Caza says. The hotel is booked solid for Sunday, thanks to an influx of people coming to the area to view the eclipse.

Total solar eclipses are spectacular celestial events that are extremely rare. Any particular spot on the Earth only sees one every 375 years or so (though Syracuse’s last total eclipse occurred just 99 years ago, in 1925). That’s why lots of people are willing to travel to see one.

While eclipses are predictable down to the second, it’s harder to know exactly how many people are willing to travel, and shell out hundreds of dollars, to experience one.

But the booked hotels give an indication that people are coming, either to view totality in Syracuse or as a pitstop before making their way west or north to get a longer eclipse of the sun.

In Syracuse, totality will to last almost 90 seconds. Go north to neighboring Oswego County and you’ll get 3 1/2 minutes of total darkness.

That’s why Oswego County is bracing for an onslaught of eclipse enthusiasts. On Tuesday, the county declared a state of emergency for eclipse day. Most county offices will close Monday.

Oswego County Legislature Chairman James Weatherup says he expects the county’s population of about 118,000 potentially to double on Monday, causing potential traffic jams.

2VTLIKB4OZCIVC2RD45N2EJXFE.jpg

Tim Clements, the owner of Amore Pizza, delivers a Bang Bang Chicken pizza. Amore in Liverpool is our 13th stop on the CNY Pizza Tour. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)(Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

CNY Pizza Tour, stop #13: What the heck is a Bang Bang chicken pizza? That’s Amore (PS; $; Miller)

One of the endearing qualities of pizza is that you can eat it every day of the year and never have the same slice twice. Pizza might as well be known as the ultimate shape-shifter of the culinary universe.

We’re a quarter of the way through a yearlong Central New York Pizza Tour. We’ve visited 13 pizzerias so far, and we’ve yet to have two pizzas that are remotely similar to each other.

Our latest stop, at Amore Pizza & More on Old Liverpool Road, is no different. Oh wait, yes it is. It is once again very different from the others we’ve tried.

This tiny takeout place sits within three-quarters of a mile of two pizza-making giants, Gino & Joes and Francesca’s Pizza & Italian Kitchen. Still, Amore has built a loyal following since opening seven years ago.

“I’m not trying to be the biggest or the best,” said owner Tim Clements. “Everyone has different tastes and preferences. I want to make people happy by making them what they like.”

That’s why this week we’re trying the Bang Bang Chicken pizza, a pizza that’s ranked among the top-seller here over the past few months. It’s right up there with his Buffalo Chicken pizza, which I immediately declined simply to spare Tim of an automatic single-digit overall score.

One bite of this pizza will remind you of Bang Bang shrimp, the most popular sample food of all time to come out of the annual Taste of Syracuse festival. It has all the same flavors, but it’s chicken instead of once-frozen teeny-tiny shrimp.

OK, let’s grab a slice of summer and pretend we’re at Clinton Square watching a 90s band perform ...

Attachments

• 1712147795396.jpeg
    1712147795396.jpeg
    5.3 KB · Views: 12
what is the $4 accnx replay thing? Is that some site where you can pay to watch a replay?

what is the $4 accnx replay thing? Is that some site where you can pay to watch a replay?
I think Mark is talking about the fee ACC DN gets when people watch their videos on Youtube. If I remember right, they get that $4 per every 1000 views.

Not very lucrative. I think it is more about getting content out there and publicizing the schools and the players in the conference.

Ok.. I would think most people have no idea its a thing to even do.