Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
quote-i-spent-half-my-money-on-gambling-alcohol-and-wild-women-the-other-half-i-wasted-w-c-fields-49-94-62.jpg
Welcome to Curmudgeons Day!

A curmudgeon is a cantankerous, difficult, and bad-tempered person, who is usually also an old man. They are celebrated on Curmudgeons Day, which takes place on the birthday of W.C. Fields, a comedian and actor who was known for his curmudgeonly demeanor. On Curmudgeons Day, people act as curmudgeons, celebrate curmudgeons they know, and celebrate W.C. Fields.

W.C. Fields was born as William Claude Dukenfield on January 29, 1880, in Darby, Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia. He took on his new name when he began working in vaudeville in 1898. Throughout his career, he was known for portraying anti-social and cantankerous characters in his stage and screen roles, and his real-life persona wasn't too far removed from this demeanor. He was also known for his affinity for alcohol, which ultimately had a hand in his declining health and eventual demise at the age of 66. Today he is often placed in the same class as comedic luminaries Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton.

SU News

Ohio State Lacrosse Player Transferring to Syracuse Football (SI; McAllister)

Transfers are becoming more and more common in collegiate athletics. Typically, however, they are done within the same sport. Rarely does a player transfer schools to play a different sport, and yet that is exactly what has happened with Colby Barker. Barker is transferring from Ohio State lacrosse to Syracuse football where he will be a walk-on punter.

Barker, a former standout lacrosse star at Pittsford High School in Western New York, elected to opt out of the 2021 lacrosse season due to the pandemic and other personal reasons. The 6-1, 199 pounder entered the NCAA transfer portal in the fall looking for a new challenge.

"I'm a punter, actually, and I was always interested in that coming out of high school even though I committed early for lacrosse," Barker said. "I kind of just wanted to see where it would go. I made a film and sent it out to people this fall since because of covid I was home a lot. It just kind of fell into place where Syracuse was gracious enough to offer me a walk-on spot and we're going to see how it goes this summer."

After entering the portal, Barker still participated in fall workouts with the Ohio State lacrosse program. During that time he was contacted by some schools to transfer to continue playing lacrosse, but he was focused on football.

"I was mainly looking just to play football," Barker said. "Football's always, growing up, I don't want to say my first love because I loved both (football and lacrosse), but I think it was time for me to go see if I could do something else. I had my years of lacrosse and I think the only way I wanted to go to grad school and pay for more school was to play football."

Syracuse football's 2021 schedule will test program's most glaring weakness (3 things to know) (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football's 2021 schedule presents a challenge that the program has faced only three times since the turn of the 21st century. If the slate goes unaffected by the coronavirus pandemic, the Orange will play nine straight games to start the year.

For a program that has struggled mightily with its depth -- a natural issue for any team that recruits toward the bottom of the Power-Five conferences -- this could have a significant effect on the team's record at the end of the campaign. Here's a quick roundup of the three other years since 2000 in which SU played three-quarters of a season without a week off.

2014: The Orange played 11 consecutive games under Scott Shafer, ekeing out a memorable overtime win against Villanova to start the year before dropping nine of its last 10 games to finish 3-9.

2006: Greg Robinson's most successful year saw Syracuse pick up early non-conference wins against Illinois, Miami (OH) and Wyoming before getting crushed in Big East play. But after a run of nine straight games, the Orangemen dropped six of their last seven contests to go 4-8.

2005: SU played nine in a row the previous campaign, beating only Buffalo in Week 2. This, along with the 2020 season, is one of three single-win campaigns for the program since 1948.

Syracuse Football’s 2021 ACC Schedule Revealed (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football’s 2021 schedule has been released. The Atlantic Coast Conference announced the conference slate for the 2021 season Thursday morning, which completed their full schedule. The Orange’s schedule features two Friday night home games. Note all caps denotes a home game.

Saturday, September 4th: at Ohio
Saturday, September 11th: RUTGERS
Saturday, September 18th: ALBANY
Friday, September 24th: LIBERTY
***BYE WEEK***
Saturday, October 2nd: at Florida State
Saturday, October 9th: WAKE FOREST
Friday, October 15th: CLEMSON
Saturday, October 23rd: at Virginia Tech
Saturday, October 30th: BOSTON COLLEGE
***BYE WEEK***
Saturday, November 13th: at Louisville
Saturday, November 20th: at NC State
Saturday, November 27th: PITTSBURGH

The schedule is a return to normalcy from the 2020 campaign. Syracuse only had one non-conference game last year, a home matchup with Liberty who finished the year as a ranked team. Syracuse also opened the season with back to back road conference games. The schedule was changed due to the coronavirus pandemic in order to try to reduce travel and prevent the virus from spreading within the conference.

The 2021 schedule is much more in line with the norm. Syracuse opens with four straight non-conference opponents before starting ACC play. They open 2021 on the road against Ohio, who only played three games in 2020. They knocked off Bowling Green and Akron but lost to Central Michigan.

Syracuse football announces complete 12-game schedule for 2021 (DO; Smith)

Syracuse’s 2021 football schedule was released Thursday morning with the rest of the Atlantic Coast Conference’s schedule. The conference is returning to its traditional, two-division format, with each team playing eight conference games and four nonconference games. Notre Dame will not participate in the ACC like it did in 2020.

The Orange open their season with nine consecutive games without a week off, something SU has only done three times since 2000, according to 247 Sports.

Syracuse previously announced nonconference games against Ohio, Rutgers, Albany and Liberty to open the season. The Rutgers game on Sept. 12 is scheduled to be the home opener in the Carrier Dome following SU’s first trip to Athens, Ohio, to meet the Bobcats the week prior. Syracuse was scheduled to play Rutgers in 2020, but the game was canceled when the Big Ten initially announced there wouldn’t be fall sports.

The Orange’s conference opener will be on the road against Florida State on Oct. 2, while the home opener for the ACC is set to be a matchup with Wake Forest the following Saturday. Virginia Tech will be SU’s cross-division game for 2021, marking the first time the teams have met since 2016. That year, the Orange upset then-No. 17 Virginia Tech 31-17 for Dino Babers’ first win over a ranked opponent at Syracuse.

Syracuse football 2021 schedule with tough home games, no Notre Dame (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football will have seven contests inside the Carrier Dome during its 2021 calendar, the most since 2017, although the Orange will face a challenging slate on the Hill.

Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, it’s obviously too early to tell whether fans will get to watch ‘Cuse football games in-person this coming fall, although a press release from the school’s athletics department did say, “Fans should be on the lookout for season ticket information in the coming weeks.”

After a different kind of season in 2020 due to the pandemic, the Atlantic Coast Conference said that it plans to return to two divisions, the Atlantic and the Coastal, in 2021. Syracuse football and its league peers will each suit up for eight ACC clashes and four non-conference games in the typical 12-meeting line-up.

Notre Dame, which competed as a full ACC football member a stanza ago, reverts back to its normal independent status. The Fighting Irish, a squad that played in the College Football Playoff earlier this month, is thankfully not on the Orange’s 2021 schedule.

The Syracuse football schedule for next season is no walk in the park.

The ‘Cuse will commence its 2021 campaign at Ohio, the Orange’s fourth-straight year that it begins a season on the road. The three other non-conference foes for Syracuse football – Rutgers, Albany and Liberty – are all home affairs.

The Orange also has two Friday night match-ups on its docket, against both Liberty and Clemson, with the Tigers having made the CFP earlier in January and captured the last six ACC championships.

Syracuse Football 2021 Schedule: Best to Worst – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Gross)

The Syracuse football schedule for 2021 is out. The Orange are pretty fortunate to avoid North Carolina and Miami in the conference, but a couple non-conference games are going to be harder than expected at the time of scheduling. Here’s SU’s 2021 schedule, power ranked.

1. vs. Clemson

2020 record: 10-2

Syracuse will no longer have to worry about Trevor Lawrence and Travis Etienne. Now the Tigers turn to a 5-star 6′ 5″ 245 lb. pro-style quarterback with more arm strength than any QB in the country. DJ Uigalelei will torch the ACC, en route to another CFB playoff. The Tigers continue to be in “another league”.

2. vs. Liberty

2020 record: 10-1

The Flames went 10-1 last season, and now return 16 starters. Malik Willis is a good quarterback. I don’t think John Wildhack realized what was coming when he signed the dotted line to play a series with Liberty, prior to Hugh Freeze’s first season.

3. at NC State

2020 record: 8-4

The Wolfpack are coming off a strong season, despite uncertainty at the quarterback position after Devin Leary’s early-season injury. Leary returns as the presumptive starter, and if he can stay healthy the Wolfpack will be a threat in the ACC. State has won 6 of 7 against Syracuse since 2014.

4. vs. Wake Forest

2020 record: 4-5

The Demon Deacons are stringing together solid seasons in the conference now. Over 1,000 rushing yards return between their top-2 running backs, and with another year of experience under QB Sam Hartman’s belt, Wake can take a step forward and finish with a winning record.

2021 Syracuse Football Schedule: Analysis, Best and Worst Case Scenarios (CFN; Staff)

Breaking down and analyzing the 2021 Syracuse Orange football schedule with the best and worst case scenarios.

2021 Syracuse Football Schedule

Full schedule analysis with best and worst scenarios below

Sept. 4 at Ohio

Sept. 11 Rutgers

Sept. 18 Albany

Sept. 24 Liberty

Oct. 2 at Florida State

Oct. 9 Wake Forest

Oct. 15 Clemson

Oct. 23 at Virginia Tech

Oct. 30 Boston College

Nov. 6 OPEN DATE

Nov. 13 at Louisville

Nov. 20 at NC State

Nov. 27 Pitt

Dec. 4 ACC Championship (in Charlotte)

Games vs. The Coastal: Pitt, at Virginia Tech

Missed Teams From The Coastal: Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia

Syracuse Orange Football Schedule Analysis: Can the Orange beat Rutgers? Can they possibly beat Liberty this time around after losing last year at home – and badly? Those are two the Orange have to take down as part of an easy September – being 4-0 is a must. After starting out at Ohio, five of the next six games are at home.

The Clemson game is a Friday night hone date, but three of the following four games are on the road. Missing Miami and North Carolina from the Coastal is huge, but facing Virginia Tech in Blacksburg hurts.

Syracuse Orange Football Schedule Best Case Scenario: 8-4. The Orange take care of the home games and get off to a big start before dealing with Clemson. There are problems in the second half of the season, but they pull off one of the key road wins and close out with a victory over Pitt.

Syracuse Orange Football Schedule Worst Case Scenario: 4-8. It’s a disaster from the start. Rutgers rolls to a win, and Liberty pulls off a second straight win in the dome. Throw in a road loss to Florida State, and it’s a grind to get anywhere near four wins, even with a good-effort upset – like at NC State or Louisville – somewhere along the way.

Syracuse's football schedule for 2021 has 7 home games (apnews.com)

Syracuse’s football schedule for next season was released Thursday, and it includes seven home games, the most in four seasons.

The Orange will host two teams that finished in the final AP top 25 poll for 2020 — No. 17 Liberty on Sept. 24 and No. 3 Clemson on Oct. 15.

The slate returns to the normal Atlantic Coast Conference scheduling model with eight league games, six against Atlantic Division foes, and four non-conference games, including the Sept. 11 home opener against old Big East rival Rutgers, now in the Big Ten. The season opener is the previous week at Ohio.

The Orange also will host in-state foe the University at Albany of the Championship Subdivision on Sept. 18, Wake Forest on Oct. 9, Boston College on Oct. 30, and Pittsburgh in the season finale on Nov. 27.

Other road games include Florida State on Oct. 2, Virginia Tech three weeks later, Louisville on Nov. 13, and North Carolina State the next week.

Road schedule sets up nicely in 2021, except for that Friday night in Syracuse (tigernet.com; Hood)

Clemson’s 2021 football schedule was released Thursday morning, and sticking out like a big old pimple on your forehead is that Friday night game at Syracuse. The schedule is what we expected from an opponent standpoint, and I told you earlier in the week what I expected the home dates to be and those turned out to be true. But we didn’t know the exact road dates and when opponents would fall on the schedule. Now that we do, I have a few thoughts.

Let’s start with that Friday night game at Syracuse. Clemson will seek its fourth consecutive win against Syracuse on Friday, Oct. 15, which would match Clemson's longest winning streak in the all-time series from 2013-16. In its last visit to Syracuse, Clemson avenged a 27- 24 upset road loss from 2017 with a dominating 41-6 primetime win at The Dome in 2019. But let’s face it, almost no one likes Friday night college football games except maybe the networks, and since the leagues are run by network dollars, we have to see those games. And all of those games interfere with the first bastion of Friday nights, high school football.

With the NFL, there's Monday and Thursday night football, and even some Saturday games in December, and the usual Sunday games. And for the colleges, which traditionally played all their games on Saturday, expansion has come into the middle of the week particularly for the Mid-American Conference games, and into Fridays, which has affected Atlantic Coast Conference teams. A few years ago, Virginia played three games on Friday night and Virginia Tech played two.

As someone who has been to every game Clemson game in Syracuse – including that Friday the 13th nightmare in 2017 – I don’t like it for travel reasons. A lot of Clemson fans I know like to get to Syracuse either late on Thursday or early Friday and visit the Finger Lakes region or visit Cooperstown. My wife Nikki and I always make the trek to Cooperstown just so we can sit down at the Doubleday Café (the first window seat) and eat a bowl of chili and watch the world go by, including orange-clad Clemson fans.

Syracuse Football: 4-star, top-300 Michael Williams is a versatile talent (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football is still searching for the first commitment in its 2022 class, and consensus four-star athlete Michael Williams would undoubtedly make a tremendous beginning for the Orange in this cycle.

Williams, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound prospect who excels on both sides of the field, recently disclosed a top 10, and the ‘Cuse made the cut. Now, his recruitment could certainly have a long way to go, so let’s not get too far ahead of ourselves.

However, that Syracuse football is in the top 10 for this 2022 top-300 player is surely exciting and an encouraging sign for the Orange. Williams is a junior at West Bloomfield High School in West Bloomfield, Mich.

His 10 finalists are the ‘Cuse, along with Maryland, Arizona State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Tennessee and Ole Miss, according to Williams’ Twitter page. A review of the main recruiting services shows that he has a total of 17 scholarship offers.

TOP 10???? @pwangsmo pic.twitter.com/syFoU89Tne
— Michael Williams ll (@TheFuture247) January 25, 2021

Per Williams’ bio on 247Sports, Syracuse football offered him on May 8, 2020, and that appears to be the most recent scholarship offer that he received.

Syracuse football remains in the mix for 2022 four-star athlete Michael Williams.

Jared Purcell, in an article for MLive.com, notes that Williams can suit up at linebacker, defensive end and tight end, which helps explain his athlete designation on .

He is slotted as the No. 29 athlete nationally in the 2022 class, according to , as well as the No. 9 prospect in the state of Michigan.

ACC football schedule 2021: Dates and key matchups (ESPN)

It's already time to start thinking about ACC football in 2021. While the 2020 season ended just recently, next season's schedules have been unveiled, so it's time to start breaking down your team's slate and projecting wins and losses.

With Notre Dame no longer in the mix and no more Trevor Lawrence, can anyone rival Clemson at the top? Can Mack Brown lead North Carolina to success? Let's take a look.

Boston College

Sept. 4: Colgate
Sept. 11: at UMass
Sept. 18: at Temple
Sept. 25: Missouri
Oct. 2: at Clemson
Oct. 16: NC State
Oct. 23: at Louisville
Oct. 30: at Syracuse
Nov. 5: Virginia Tech (Friday)
Nov. 13: at Georgia Tech
Nov. 20: Florida State
Nov. 27: Wake Forest

Why Hanahan’s Cooper Dawson is leaving Syracuse to play football at Charleston Southern P&C; $; Shelton)

Cooper Dawson thought it was a great opportunity when he signed with Syracuse University on December 19, 2018. The big kid from a small high school in Berkeley County would be living in Upstate New York and playing football in the ACC.

Today the former Hanahan High star sees things much differently, and last month he entered the NCAA transfer portal. After two frustrating seasons at Syracuse, where Dawson never played in a game, the 6-5, 250-pound defensive end plans to transfer to Charleston Southern and join the team for the 2021 fall season.

2021 Schedule Analysis - Byes (RX; HM)

2021 Schedule Analysis - Byes

Because of the pandemic, each ACC team got two byes in 2020, but for the 2021 season they'll all get just one open week - no more, no less. Here's my breakdown of the ACC football bye weeks...
Atlantic Teambye before
BCNC State
ClemsonSyracuse(FRI)
FSUUMass
LouisvilleBC
NC StateBC
SyracuseLouisville
Wake ForestArmy
Coastal Teambye before
DukeWake Forest
Georgia TechVirginia
MiamiUNC
UNCNotre Dame
PittVirginia Tech
UVANotre Dame
Virginia TechNotre Dame
partial memberbye before
Notre DameUSC
Some interesting observations when we analyze that table:
Atlantic Team#Opponents coming off of a bye
BC2 (Louisville, NC State)
Clemson0
FSU0
Louisville1 (Syracuse)
NC State0
Syracuse1 (Clemson)
Wake Forest1 (Duke)
Coastal Team#Opponents comgin off of a bye
Duke0
Georgia Tech0
Miami0
UNC1 (Miami)
Pitt0
UVA1 (Georgia Tech)
Virginia Tech1 (Pitt)
partial member#Opponents coming off of a bye
Notre Dame3 (UNC, UVA, Va Tech)

Mutual Byes

Only one pair of teams have a mutual bye: Boston College and NC State, which face each other on October 16th after an open date for both teams.

ACCN Tribute to Swofford (RX; HM)

ACCN Tribute to Swofford

New ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips starts his new job on Monday...
Jim Phillips will serve as the next ACC Commissioner.

Phillips brings more than 3 decades of experience in DI athletics, a track record of tremendous achievement, and a vision for the future of intercollegiate athletics. pic.twitter.com/pqr0fsk7NJ
— The ACC (@theACC) December 14, 2020
...so what is the ACCN going to do today? Saying goodbye to Swofford, of course!

JohnSwofford.png

Packer and Durham Salute to Commissioner Swofford Friday

Packer and Durham, ACC Network’s (ACCN) morning news and information show, will celebrate the career of ACC Commissioner John Swofford Friday, Jan. 29, with Salute to Commissioner Swofford beginning at 7 a.m. Commissioner Swofford is retiring after 24 years of leading the conference.
Guests joining hosts Mark Packer and Wes Durham on Friday include:

• Commissioner John Swofford
  • Jim Delany, former Big Ten Commissioner, UNC alum and basketball letterwinner (1966-70)

TopGolf is coming to some top college football stadiums (footballscoop.com; Samuels)

A few years ago, we made the conscious decision as a family to spend money on experiences instead of gifts for my father for Christmas. That simple decision has led to memories made over paintball matches, escape rooms, and a family outing to Topgolf.

Even if you’re just a casual golfer, Topgolf is a really fun and unique experience for everyone involved, and fits all skill levels, and now college football stadiums are getting in on the action.

Oklahoma and Georgia both announced today that the Topgolf Live Stadium Tour is coming to each campus.

Those that buy tickets will get a unique opportunity to tee up balls inside the stadium, aiming at glowing targets placed on the field 60 to 140 yards out from a seating area inside of the stadium. Technology will trace the path and landing zones of the golf balls and score every shot in real-time as part of an interactive in-stadium experience.

Sounds like a blast, right?

Other

G2RONYA6NNCKLJ3S2WYV5C6NXY.jpg

Onondaga Lake bald eagle watch: 27 birds spotted this week (PS; $; Figura)

Onondaga Lake bald eagle watch: 27 birds spotted this week - syracuse.com
It’s been a slow winter for spotting bald eagles on Onondaga Lake – until now.

With the recent stretch of cold weather and snow, things have recently picked up, according to Onondaga Audubon officials who are monitoring the birds’ numbers on the lake on a weekly basis.

Since Dec. 1, the total weekly sightings have averaged about two to five birds, said Alison Kocek, vice president of the Onondaga Audubon chapter.

“This week, though, we spotted 27 – and it’s only going to get better,” she said.

Chris Lajewski, director of the Montezuma Audubon Center, said Onondaga Lake is the largest winter roost of any urban area in the state.

Onondaga Lake bald eagles

An immature bald eagle at the southern end of Onondaga Lake.

The birds congregate each winter behind the mall on and around Murphy’s Island in the trees overlooking the open water near the county’s sewage treatment plant and the mouth of Onondaga Creek. The warm water coming out of the plant keeps the water open and attracts schools of gizzard shad and other fish, which the birds feed on.

The best vantage points to see bald eagles at the southern end of the lake are from the south back parking lot of the Destiny USA mall, at the end of the Creek Walk along Onondaga Creek and at the end of West Shore Trail, which runs along the lake’s southern end. It can be accessed at the Honeywell Visitor’s Center parking lot in Solvay and even closer at another parking lot just east of there.

The area around Murphy’s Island and the sewage treatment plan really turns on when rest of the lake is completely frozen over, Kocek said.

Other areas of open water also attract the birds, but usually those spots on the lake are few and far between, she said.

Last weekend, Paul Pflanz, of Syracuse, spotted a total of seven birds near the Wegman’s Good Dog Park at Onondaga Lake Park.