Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
CC-19144-Header-Vietnam-War-Veterans-Day-2019.jpg
Welcome to National Vietnam War Veterans Day!

The Vietnam War led to over 58,000 American military deaths, and a total of over two and a half million Americans served in the war. In the early 1960s, military advisors were sent to the country, and by 1963 there were about 16,000 Americans in Vietnam. After the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution in 1964, the conflict expanded, and by 1968 there were 500,000 troops in the country. After about a decade of war, the last American troops came home on March 29, 1973.

The Vietnam War was a war of great controversy, with many strongly opposed to it, while others supported it. Most veterans did not return home to parades and celebration, unlike those who had served in World War II and returned home a generation earlier. Many veterans came home physically wounded, and faced post-traumatic stress syndrome or other health issues.

Congress authorized and requested President Nixon to make a proclamation for a Vietnam Veterans Day. Thus, President Nixon issued a proclamation designating March 29, 1974, as Vietnam Veterans Day. He called for the flag to be displayed on public buildings, and for ceremonies and observances across the country to honor those who had served.

SU News

At Floyd Little’s memorial service, promises made to ‘preserve the legacy’ (PS; $; Mink)

Dave Baker, the 6-foot-9 man who towers over football royalty while informing them they’ll be joining men such as Floyd Little in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, made his way up the steps of the dais inside Hendricks Chapel on the Syracuse University campus.

Little’s gold Hall of Fame jacket and bronze bust were displayed nearby.

Nobody, Baker said, loved wearing that jacket more than Little. He wore it to Israel to meet the prime minister. He wore it to the Vatican to meet the pope. He joked he even wore it to Starbucks to fetch a morning coffee.

“He loved representing the game, and I assure you there was no better representative for the game than Floyd Little,” Baker told a small audience seated inside the chapel for Little’s two-hour memorial service Saturday.

Then Baker looked down toward Little’s widow, DeBorah, and told her she’d receive the flag that flew at half-mast at the Hall of Fame after Jan. 1, 2021, the day Little died at the age of 78.

He also said she would receive a little-publicized gift the Hall of Fame presents to the family of deceased players, a medallion that says, simply: Pro Football Hall of Fame, Canton, Ohio, Forever.

“As I promised you, as I promise your family, and as I promise all of you here at Syracuse University, we shall guard the legacy and preserve the legacy and promote the values and virtues of the man that is Floyd Little,” Baker said.

NFL Draft Prospect Spotlight: Andre Cisco (SI; Baydoun)

With the departure of Erik Harris to the Atlanta Falcons, one could argue that safety is currently the biggest need position on the Las Vegas Raiders defense.

Johnathan Abram is the one young pillar the team has but is coming being ranked by Pro Football Focus as dead last among safeties this past season.

The Raiders could use a natural ballhawk in their defensive backfield, and Syracuse safety Andre Cisco could be that player.

From the time that he arrived with the Orange as a true freshman, there haven’t been many more players in college football that have made any many plays as Cisco.

In 13 games his freshman year, Cisco had 60 total tackles, seven interceptions, and nine total pass breakups.

Matt Fries on Syracuse Visit: 'I Liked the Atmosphere' (SI; McAllister)

One of Syracuse football's top targets in the 2022 recruiting cycle is Cranford (N.J.) Senior High offensive lineman Matt Fries. Fries visited the Syracuse campus over the weekend to get a look at it in person. Recruits are permitted to visit in such a fashion as long as there is no face to face contact with the coaching staff.

"It was great," Fries said. "Went with my parents and walked around campus and got some great food. I would say the best parts were the location of everything on campus. It was very centralized and I liked the atmosphere of the city and campus."

Fries said there were a few things that surprised him on the visit while he walked around and checked out campus.

"Yes I would say the central location of the buildings surprised me," Fries said. "It was definitely a positive and convenient compared to some other campuses that are very spread out. I also loved the stadium being right on campus. Did not expect that."

Axe: SU hoops done dancing. So what else is going on? (PS; $; Axe)

The Syracuse University men’s basketball has put away its dancing shoes after an energizing NCAA Tournament run was ended by the Houston Cougars on Saturday night in the Sweet 16.

With all apologies to the other sports underway in Central New York, a deep March Madness run by the Orange can hog our attention like a 3-year-old tugging at your pant leg because they have to go potty.

So let’s rub our eyes a little and see what else is happening around here.

The Syracuse men’s and women’s lacrosse teams have not wavered off paths that could take both to the Final Four.

Flashback: Where Swinney's Championship Run Began (theclemsoninsider.com; MacRae)

for gbo

Dabo Swinney’s press conference back in 2011 was a historic day for the Clemson Tigers. Clemson had just won its first ACC Football Championship Game and were headed to the Orange Bowl for the first time since 1982.

“I am just fortunate to be here. I got this job three years and two days ago. This was my dream,” Swinney said at the time. “This was my vision to be up here one day holding an orange. It has been a process. It hasn’t been easy. Let me tell you anything worth having ain’t easy.

“I am just happy for our players. Since the day I got the job I have walked into every meeting and I have carried two signs. One says believe and the other says you can do it.”

Nobody could have dreamed how well things have gone for the Tigers over the next decade.

Virginia Tech football: Several former Hokies stand out at pro day (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

Friday was a big day in Blacksburg as Virginia Tech held its annual pro day. With several players scheduled to be drafted in the 2021 NFL draft, 31 NFL teams were represented on Friday morning in the New River Valley.

The headliners were cornerback Caleb Farley and offensive tackle Christian Darrisaw. Farley is considered by many to be the top cornerback in the draft and could go in the top 10. However, a recent back procedure kept Farley from participating in the event, although he did speak to the media.

Pro Day 2021

"Whatever team grabs me is going to have the best corner in the Draft." - @IamCalebFarley#NFLDraft | #Hokies pic.twitter.com/DJhFCaAOzX
— Virginia Tech Football (@HokiesFB) March 28, 2021
Darrisaw went through positional drills with Virginia Tech offensive line coach Vance Vice. Darrisaw, who some rank as high as the No. 2 offensive tackle, weighed in at 322 pounds.

Recent NCAA Championships (RX; HM)

Recent NCAA Championships

Big Game Boomer is at it again!
Schools With An NCAA Championship - Since 2010

Which Schools are glaringly missing? pic.twitter.com/8V6k0B0vX5
— Big Game Boomer (@ATL_boomer1990) March 28, 2021
It's nice to know that 10 of the 15 ACC schools have won a national championship in something since 2010:
  • Boston College
  • Clemson
  • Duke
  • Florida State
  • Louisville
  • Notre Dame
  • North Carolina
  • Syracuse
  • Virginia
  • Wake Forest
That only leaves five teams without a recent championship:
  • Georgia Tech
  • Miami
  • NC State
  • Pitt
  • Virginia Tech
Need to get crackin', guys!

Links, news and rumors - 2021 March 29 (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 2021 March 29

From SouthernPigskin:

Ranking the top 25 2021 NFL Draft prospects from the ACC.

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (6'6", 220)
2. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech (6'2", 207)
3. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech (6'5", 314)
4. Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami (6'7", 265)
5. Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson (5'10", 205)
6. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame (6'1", 215)
7. Asante Samuel, Jr., CB, Florida State (5'10", 184)
8. Jaelen Phillips, DE, Miami (6'5", 266)
9. Carlos Basham, Jr., DE, Wake Forest (6'5", 285)
10. Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame (6'6", 302)
11. Alim McNeill, DT, NC State (6'2", 320)
12. Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse (6'0", 209)
13. Jackson Carman, OT, Clemson (6'5", 335)
14. Javonte Williams, RB, North Carolina (5'10", 220)
15. Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State (6'5", 305)
16. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse (6'3", 213)

Other

HVD5HVCCTZECFIIR546727G4TM.jpg

Central New York defense contractor wins $87M Navy contract, to create up to 50 jobs (PS; $; Moriarty)

A Central New York defense contractor has received an $87 million Department of Defense contract that it says will create up to 50 local engineering jobs.

Alion Science and Technology said it will conduct research and development on the electronics for the U.S. Navy’s vertical launching system, a system for storing and launching missiles from ships.

Alion (pronounced AY-lion) said the five-year contract is the largest ever for its Central New York operations, which consist of locations in Salina, Rome and Binghamton.

“Our expertise in engineering and obsolescence mitigation will help ensure these platforms remain operational, giving our warfighters a decisive edge for many years to come,” said Dino Cencetti, vice president of operations.

As a result of the new contract and other recent wins, the company will be looking to hire 30 to 50 software, electrical, systems, mechanical and manufacturing engineers over the next year and a half, said Matt Britton, senior product manager for Alion’s tactical sensors group. Many will work from the company’s office in the Salina Meadows Office Park, he said.