Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Fig5_tipaper-696x464.jpg
Welcome to Morse Code Day!

Morse code uses a unique series of dots and dashes, called "dii and dah", for each letter of the alphabet, and the numbers 0 thru 9. Long before the invention of radios and cell phones, operators used telegraph machines to send messages in morse code. On the receiving end, the morse code is translated back into alphabetic characters and numbers to form the message. The message allowed for instant, coast to coast communication of information over telegraph lines. Once radios arrived, morse code continued to be a major means of communications. Morse code was in use in the military, ham radios and other means of communication for decades.

Morse code is in danger of disappearing as a means of communications. As of 2007 , knowledge of morse code is no loner a requirement for a ham radio license.

SU News

Recruiting Rewind: Andre Cisco (SI; McAllister)

Andre Cisco is set to be selected within the first three rounds of the 2021 NFL Draft. He originally signed with Syracuse in the 2018 class and spent three seasons with the Orange. Let's take a look back at his recruitment, how he was viewed as a prospect and how Syracuse as able to get his commitment.

A RELATIVE UNKNOWN

Andre Cisco played at IMG Academy for his junior and senior seasons, one of the best programs in the country. That usually leads to a lot of exposure as the program regularly produces power five talent. In Cisco's case, however, he sat behind two elite safeties that were part of the 2017 class in Grant Delpit (LSU) and Isaiah Pryor (Ohio State) prior to his senior year. Cisco had very limited film, and had to garner attention by attending camps over the summer of 2017. That resulted in a few schools expressing interest but he remained relative unknown at the power five level entering the fall.

His first offer came from Samford in in May 2017 followed by Bowling Green. While he visited North Carolina and Rutgers that summer, the two offers were his only ones before his senior season.

FAST RISER

Then Cisco started to play. After playing in the first few games of the 2017 campaign, his film started to make its way to power five programs. From October 5th to October 24th, four power five programs offered. It started with Vanderbilt, then a week later Nebraska offered, 11 days later Illinois joined the party followed by Syracuse one day after that.

Cisco started taking official visits in late October and took three officials in total. He visited Illinois on October 28th, Nebraska on November 4th and then Syracuse on December 1st. Just a few days later, Northwestern threw its hat into the ring with an offer.

Pain: Syracuse Football Recruiting Misses in the NFL Draft – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; May)

While brainstorming topics to write about for this article, I did a simple search into my Twitter. I typed “Syracuse offer”, hoping to find a new high school recruit either Syracuse Football or Men’s Basketball offered a scholarship to. However, instead of finding what I was hoping for, I stumbled upon this tweet:

Ralph Vacchiano
@RVacchianoSNY

Something I did not know: Two months before soon-to-be-Jets QB Zach Wilson committed to BYU, he received a scholarship offer from ... Syracuse! He didn't accept. The Orange instead signed Chance Amie, who never played for them and is now in JuCo. Oh, the pain.

My first reaction, as I assume everyone is experiencing right now, was pain. I started dreaming about Zach Wilson donning the Syracuse orange and throwing absolute bombs off one-leg rolling out the opposite way. It was the best three minutes of my life. For anyone that is currently envisioning the same thing, this is your sign to snap out of it. It’s not possible, so don’t keep hurting yourself.

Despite the pain Ralph Vacchiano unknowingly caused me, he made me think– out of the top prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft, who received an offer from Syracuse coming out of high school? Who did the Orange miss on? I’m sure you are asking yourself those same questions, but before I give you these answers just remember that offers are only offers. It does not mean that SU was actually in the running for every one of these players. Now, without further adieu here are the guys Syracuse whiffed on:

QUARTERBACK: ZACH WILSON & JUSTIN FIELDS
Ah, yes, let’s start off with the most painful misses of them all. Wilson is believed by many to be the second pick in this year’s draft. Fields is a little more questionable. Depending on the scout, the Ohio State product is anywhere between QB3 and QB5. Both of these guys have true pro-potential, but even if they don’t live up to their hype in the NFL, their college days were fantastic. Wilson brought BYU a bowl win and a spot in the top-25 for most of the season. Fields led OSU to back-to-back college football playoffs, including the championship this past season. If you put either of them on Syracuse, things would be a whole lot different for this Orange program.

Wisconsin OL Chad Schuster outlines why Syracuse is one of his top schools, what's next in his recruitment (247sports.com; $; Bailey)

Mike Schmidt joined the Syracuse football staff as offensive line coach late February and quickly secured a key recruiting victory by earning the trust of Texas transfer Willie Tyler. Now the longtime San Diego State assistant is turning his attention toward the high school ranks, where other 2022 prospects are looking to forge relationships.

ACC football: One make-or-break factor for every team's 2021 season (247sports.com; Stepien)

Syracuse:
Non-conference play. The Orange have a pivotal first four games, starting with Sept. 4 at Ohio. Home matchups with Rutgers (Sept. 11), Albany (Sept. 18) and Liberty (Sept. 24) follow. The Bobcats will not be an easy out while Rutgers and Liberty could go either way. How Syracuse emerges from the September stretch will go a long way in determining its 2021 fate after it posted a 1-10 (1-9 ACC) record for the 2020 season.

Spring wrap: 14 players ready to break out in ACC in 2021 (apnews.com; Iacobelli)

A look at football players in the Atlantic Coast Conference this spring who are poised to have standout seasons this fall (Notre Dame, which competed in the league last season, returned to FBS independent status in 2021):

ATLANTIC DIVISION

BOSTON COLLEGE: LB Kam Arnold played in the Eagles’ secondary as a freshman last season and made a case in spring to be a starting linebacker this fall. He had 15 tackles as he played all 11 games.

CLEMSON: WR Justyn Ross is expected back after missing last year due to a serious neck injury and figures to return to the form of a potential first-round NFL draft pick he showed his first two seasons. Ross, 6-foot-4, had 46 catches for 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018, then 66 receptions for 865 yards in 2019.

FLORIDA STATE: The Seminoles have high hopes for UCF transfer QB McKenzie Milton, who is returning from a significant knee injury two years ago.

LOUISVILLE: DE Yaya Diaby was a junior college standout who started seven games last season and had 18 tackles, including 2.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. This spring, defensive line coach Mark Ivey said Diaby has added about 18 pounds of muscle was a positive on defense.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE: The Wolfpack returned starting QB Devin Leary, lost in October after breaking a bone in his left leg. He finished with 890 yards with eight touchdowns and just two interceptions in his four games before the injury.

SYRACUSE: RBs Abdul Adams and Jarveon Howard both opted out of the 2020 COVID-19 impacted season. The two are back and looking to make their marks in the Orange backfield. Howard ran for 337 yards in 2019 while Adams, an Oklahoma transfer, gained 336 yards.

Top two ACC offenses look to new faces to keep humming (wnct.com)

The Atlantic Coast Conference’s top offenses should be right back in the flow next season. There will just be some new faces at North Carolina and Clemson that will be piling up the yards.

The Tar Heels, who led the ACC with more than 537 yards a game, still have perhaps the league’s best quarterback heading into the fall in junior Sam Howell.

But North Carolina won’t have its 1,000-yard backfield in Javonte Williams and Michael Carter, who combined to 33 touchdowns last fall.

Howell’s prime targets from a season are are also off to the NFL in receivers Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome, who combined for 109 catches, 1,783 yards, and 14 touchdowns a year ago.

Howell, the talented passer who is projected a top NFL draft choice in 2022, will spend the next few months getting the next wave of offensive talent ready to build on. Ty Chandler, a Tennessee transfer, arrives to help the backfield while Dyami Brown’s brother, Khafre Brown, was third with 337 yards in receptions returns.

“So its gives me an opportunity to kind of watch every single position and then after every play, kind of talk to guys if they’re doing stuff wrong,” Howell said.

CFB Premiere League - Contenders only (RX; HM)

CFB Premiere League - Contenders only

What if you created a "Premier League" of College Football using one simple criterion: you must have played in a BCS or CFP playoff game within the last 25 years. Who would be "IN"?
BCSorCFPteams.png

Can you believe only 19 teams have played for a national championship, much less won one, over the last decade and a half? What teams do you really need beyond these?
The national coverage is pretty good, too. The only states missing from the top 17 population-wise are New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, New Jersey, Arizona, Massachusetts. Sorry, but I don't think most people expect Syracuse (NY), Northwestern (IL), Rutgers (NJ), or Boston College (MA) to be in a Premiere League of College Football. I suppose you could make an argument for Penn State (even Pitt has an argument, just not a very good one). Make the Nittany Lions number 20.

Take those 20 and divide them into four divisions of five teams each:

WESTNORTHSOUTHEAST
WashingtonNebraskaLSUMiami
OregonMich. StAlabamaFSU
USCNotre DameAuburnFlorida
TexasOhio StTennesseeClemson
OklahomaPenn StateGeorgiaVa Tech

Other

GZPGHUZEPNFGVMOCC4CTCRIH5Q.jpg

Cuomo says NYS Fair will happen in 2021: ‘The Fair must go on’ (PS; $; Baker)

Yes, there will be a New York State Fair in 2021, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.

“The Fair must go on,” Cuomo said.

The Fair will take place Aug. 20 through Sept. 6.

There will be some modifications in the planning, Cuomo said, including limiting capacity to 50%. Those plans will continue to be revised leading up to August, Cuomo said. Capacity could be increased if Covid-19 rates continue to decline.

The Fair was canceled in 2020 due to the pandemic and limits on large gatherings.

The fair has attracted more than 1 million visitors in recent years -- the biggest annual event in the area.

Since January, the state fairgrounds has operated as one of the state’s largest vaccination sites. Cuomo said more than 345,000 people have been vaccinated so far this year at the fair’s Expo Center.

Cuomo said he wants vendors and fairgoers to mark their calendars and start making plans to attend the 18-day festival.

Cuomo has said in recent weeks that he wants the fair to take place this year. He made the announcement during an event at the fairgrounds Monday morning, followed by remarks from Department of Agriculture and Markets Commissioner Richard Ball and New York Assemblyman William Magnarelli.

That should read "only 19 teams have played for a national championship, much less won one, over the last two and a half decades". I'll fix it.