Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1623239720789.png

Welcome to Writer's Rights Day!

On the first Writers' Rights Day, held on June 9, 1992, writers called for more timely and higher pay, additional pay for subsequent use of their work, and increased copyright protection. About 30 organizations sponsored the day, including the National Writers Union, the Authors Guild, the Published Authors Network, the Romance Writers of America, and the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. The organizations claimed that writers were being ignored and abused by publishers.

As part of the day, a rally calling for higher pay and better treatment of writers by publishers was held at Grand Central Station in New York City. The Declaration of Writers' Electronic Rights was signed at the rally. Chapters of the National Writers Union held workshops and demonstrations around the country. Although the official observance of the day appears to only have been in 1992, the day has lived on informally since.

SU News

1623235956695.jpeg

Henry Belin Recaps 'Amazing' Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football's top quarterback target was on campus Tuesday for an unofficial visit. Bronx (N.Y.) Cardinal Hayes signal caller took trips to Duke, North Carolina and Georgia Tech in recent days. He has visits to Indiana, Michigan and Northwestern coming up this month. The trip to Syracuse, however, was with a school that has recruited him longer than the other schools on that list and as hard as any. We caught up with Belin to find out how the visit went.

Q: How was the visit to Syracuse?

Henry Belin: "Amazing. From the workout to watching film with coach and interacting with the coaches and some players, it was all great."

Q: What was the workout?

Belin: "We went through their route tree and concepts throwing each one off of different types of platforms. It went well. Coach Babers and Gilbert were coaching me up the whole time on different ways to do certain things. Nice to get a sense of what it would be like playing under them."

Q: Who did you watch film with and how did it go?

Belin: "Coach Babers and Gilbert. We went through a good amount of plays and I just took them through my thought process on each one."

Q: Which players did you hang out with?

Belin: "I hung out with Eli (Fuentes) the most but also Garrett (Shrader). We didn't really talk that much about football though. More just like non-recruiting related conversations."

spells.jpeg

Syracuse is the “dark horse” for 4-star corner Jacolby Spells – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Eads)

Now that the extended dead period is over (finally) top recruits have begun to book and participate in official and unofficial visits. The Orange have done well to schedule many high priority targets thus far.

Three-star linebacker Mehki Mason visited SU last week, and several other big targets have penciled in June 18th for their trips to the 315. Current commits Cornell Perry and Malachi Davis plan on being in attendance on the 18th and will no doubt put on their recruiting hats.

Another huge visit day is June 25th. Guests for this day include SU commits Belizaire Bassette and LeQuint Allen as well as four-star corners Jahlil Florence and Jacolby Spells, amongst others.

Florence and Spells are both top priorities for the Orange in the secondary, but the latter is very intriguing. Syracuse has had success recruiting in the state of Florida under Dino Babers. Spells also seems to fit the mold of what defensive coordinator Tony White and Company seek in defensive backs. Those attributes include speed, athleticism, and strength.

Last cycle, ‘Cuse nabbed ¾-star corner Duce Chestnut from the East Coast and he figures to play a prominent role as a true freshman in the fall. Can Syracuse steal Spells from the likes of Miami, West Virginia, and Indiana?

One thing Clemson football has been known for recently is producing elite skill position players. With names like C.J. Spiller, Deshaun Watson, DeAndre Hopkins, Trevor Lawrence & Travis Etienne, it's easy to get lost in the mix. In some circles running back James Davis is credited with laying the groundwork for the success that Clemson has enjoyed over the last decade. Davis made an immediate impact for the Tigers rushing for 879 yards and 9 touchdowns on his way to ACC Rookie of the Year honors. By the time Davis left Clemson, he had amassed 3,881 rushing yards and 47 rushing touchdowns. Enjoy James Davis' highlights in this installment of Unsung Heroes of the ACC.

Former Tiger explains secret to Swinney’s success at Clemson (theclemsoninsider.com; Vandervort)

When he played for Dabo Swinney from 2009-’12, Dalton Freeman saw the vision for the Clemson Football Program. However, the former All-American center, who now lives and works in Anderson, S.C., admits he did not see all that has happened.

“I think Swinney is the only one who dreamed big enough to see exactly what has transpired,” Freeman said to The Clemson Insider. “We believed it was possible. We knew we had every opportunity and reason to win, but I think I would be lying if I said I saw it going exactly as it has gone the past couple of years.”

Obviously, it has gone well.

The Tigers have won two national championships since 2015 and played for the tile two other times. Clemson is the only team that has gone to the College Football Playoff six straight years, while winning the ACC in each of those six seasons.

2021 Preseason All-ACC (Finnelytics) (RX; HM)

2021 Preseason All-ACC (Finnelytics)

This was tweeted a few days ago but I missed it...

Finnelytics' All-ACC Teams

First Team

2021 Finnelytics Preseason All-ACC 1st Team
*Includes Notre Dame#CFB #ACC pic.twitter.com/hzZLUksfwX
— Finnelytics (@Finnelytics) June 4, 2021

Second Team

2021 Finnelytics Preseason All-ACC 2nd Team
*Includes Notre Dame#CFB #ACC pic.twitter.com/zAKBb5ccfO
— Finnelytics (@Finnelytics) June 4, 2021
COMMENT: It isn't totally dominated by Clemson the way some preseason All-ACC teams have been in recent years. Certain units still stand out, like the Boston College offensive line and the Clemson defensive line. Overall, it's nice to see so many teams with quality players.

Links, news and rumors - 2021 June 9th (RX; HM)

Links, news and rumors - 2021 June 9th

First, here are two playoff articles from Sporting News:

"How a 12-team College Football Playoff would have worked in 2020"

First-round matchups in 2020
No. 8 Cincinnati (G5, AAC) vs. No. 9 Georgia (at-large, SEC)
Winner plays No. 1 Alabama (SEC)
No. 5 Texas A&M (at-large, SEC) vs. No. 12 Oregon (Pac-12)
Winner plays No. 4 Notre Dame (at-large, ACC)
No. 7 Florida (at-large, SEC) vs. No. 10 Iowa State (at-large, XII)
Winner plays No. 2 Clemson (ACC)
No. 6 Oklahoma (XII) vs. No. 11 Indiana (at-large, B1G)
Winner plays No. 3 Ohio State (B1G)

In other words, the ACC still gets two teams in, the Pac-12 gets one, but the other three power conferences all benefit: the B1G goes one to two teams, Big XII from zero to two, and the SEC from one to four!

Other

2UCAXGU3V5ATZKC3RRDB7GE6AE.jpg

Wednesday's soft opening at Luna Loca in downtown Syracuse's Columbus Circle.Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

First Look: California Tex-Mex restaurant opens today, bringing The Mission’s spot back to life (PS; $; Miller)

If you were a fan of The Mission restaurant in Downtown Syracuse’s Columbus Circle, you’re going to LOVE Luna Loca. Good luck getting a table here, though. This place was crammed for the past two nights for its “soft openings,” and for good reason.

Luna Loca (Spanish for ‘Crazy Moon’) has taken over the ancient church building that was home to the popular Mexican restaurant for 21 years. Ryan and Leigh Ann Benz, owners of Oh My Darling restaurant at 321 S. Salina St. and its basement speakeasy bar — The Fitz — are officially opening their newest California Tex-Mex venture at lunch today.

“I can’t believe how many people are here,” Ryan said at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. “It’s time to be out again. It’s time to enjoy food together again.”

Luna Loca’s footprint is the same as the Mission’s: Five booths seating four, 10 tables, and 10 stools at the welcoming bar (give or take a few at each). The atmosphere inside is bright, even on an overcast night. At dusk, the candles at each table create an intimate vibe in a chapel full of CNY food enthusiasts.