Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Boston-Tea-Party-Harbor-Dec-16-1773.jpg
Welcome to Boston Tea Party Day!

There were numerous factors that converged to create an environment that was ripe for an event like the Boston Tea Party to take place, which occurred on today's date in 1773. Some of these included the popularity of tea in the colonies, British debt, acts of Parliament that taxed colonists, the Boston Massacre, and the propping up of a British tea company. The Boston Tea Party can be seen as a tipping point that spurred the revolutionary movement forward, which ultimately allowed for the creation of the United States. It is because of its importance to the formation of the country that we mark Boston Tea Party Day.

Although Britain had been victorious in the Seven Years' War (1756-1763), they had accumulated a great national debt and looked to the American colonies for revenue. Parliament instituted taxes on the colonies, the first being the Stamp Act of 1765, which required colonists to pay a tax on printed paper such as newspapers, business cards, and legal documents. Colonists argued that only their representatives in the colonies should have the power to tax them, and that "taxation without representation" was unjust. The Stamp Act was repealed the following year, but the Townshend Acts of 1767 created even more taxes than the Stamp Act, placing them on items such as paper, paint, glass, and tea. The revenue for these taxes was to pay for the salaries of the royal colonial governors. Colonists once again bristled at the idea of being taxed without representation, and they organized boycotts of the taxed goods. Because of this pressure, in April 1770, all of the Townshend Acts except the tax on tea were repealed. The tax on tea was kept as a symbol of Parliament's power and right to levy a tax on the colonies.

SU News

SU football’s recruiting class currently ranked as Babers’ lowest in 7 years (PS; Carlson)

With no offensive coordinator in place and a head coach who has faced conjecture about his job security for more than a year, it’s no surprise the early returns from national experts on Syracuse football’s 2022 recruiting class aren’t very good.

The Orange recruiting class that signed on Early National Signing Day on Wednesday currently ranks No. 67 in the country, according to the recruiting website 247Sports. The website ranks Syracuse 13th among the ACC’s 14 teams.

If that ranking holds up, it would be the worst ranking for the Orange since head coach Dino Babers took over the program, while the second-to-last spot in the ACC would match last year’s class for the lowest positioning for SU in the Babers era.

With just 13 players signing early, Syracuse does have a better opportunity than it would have most years to improve those numbers, and this season also gives teams the opportunity to correct any recruiting deficiencies through the transfer portal.

3-star Georgia LB Kadin Bailey picks Syracuse football over Kansas State on signing day (247sports.com; Bailey)

Class of 2022 linebacker Kadin Bailey picked Syracuse football over Kansas State during an in-person ceremony on signing day. The senior at Jefferson (Ga.) High School put pen to paper shortly afterward, becoming the Orange's 13th signee of the early signing period.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Bailey is rated three stars by 247Sports and received offers from SU, KSU, Tennessee, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and East Carolina. Syracuse linebackers coach Chris Achuff a scholarship opportunity last month before Bailey took an official visit to Central New York two weekends ago. He had also seen the campus of KSU and was being pursued there by a familiar face -- Steve Stanard, the former SU defensive ends coach who served as interim coordinator at the end of the 2019 season.

Bailey recorded 33 tackles, one interception, one fumble recovery and one sack as a senior for Jefferson, contributing on the other side of the ball as a running back and scoring four touchdowns. The nephew of Hall of Fame cornerback Champ Bailey and son of All-American linebacker Boss Bailey, he was named Region 8-4A All-Region Athlete of the Year.

The recruiting win puts a cap on a busy recruiting day for the Orange. Dino Babers and Co. signed all 10 of their commits going into the day before adding defensive end Denis Jaquez, a Northwestern flip, and Australian punter Max von Marburg this morning. Syracuse also picked up a commitment from Louisville safety transfer Bralyn Oliver.

"I’d say we’re halfway done," Babers said during a press conference this afternoon. "And only half the work is done. We’ve got a lot more work to do. I appreciate the work these coaches have done in this back room. I appreciate them very much."

Bailey joins Mekhi Mason as Class of 2022 linebackers to sign with the Orange. In Central New York, they'll be part of a unit that could return all three starters if third-year sophomore Mikel Jones elects to return rather than declare early for the NFL Draft.

Linebacker Kadin Bailey the latest Jefferson football standout to sign with Power 5 program (onlineathens.com; Baxley)

After a weekend visit, Kadin Bailey knew where he was going to spend the next several years of his life.

The three-star Jefferson linebacker committed and signed with Syracuse University Wednesday afternoon, choosing the Orange over Kansas State.

“I loved Kansas State, but Syracuse just felt different. It felt like home, with me getting to meet all the coaches and players,” Bailey told the Banner-Herald. “I really enjoyed my time up there hanging with them.”

Bailey also had offers from East Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State and Tennessee. In his final year with the Dragons, he was named Region 8-AAAA Athlete of the Year after racking up 33 tackles, 129 rushing yards, an interception, a fumble recovery and four touchdowns in eight games.

“I loved every day of my career here,” Bailey said, reminiscing on his days at Jefferson. “Every day was something new and something good. Just coming to work, seeing my boys, seeing the coaches, I loved all of it. I’m going to cherish it for the rest of my life.”

The senior also plays on the basketball team for the Dragons, who are 8-1 this season. He’ll continue to play on the team before heading back up to Syracuse in June.

Bailey took his official visit to the Orange the weekend of Dec. 3 and loved it, even though the temperatures were lower than Georgia. He’s excited to get used to it.

“I had never been to New York,” Bailey said. “It was cold, but that won’t really matter to me much since we play in a dome. But I liked New York. I think it’s going to be fun.”

Dino Babers says SU’s Class of 2022 'halfway done' on early signing day (DO; Fernandez)

Syracuse added 13 signees to its Class of 2022 on Wednesday, along with one player from the transfer portal. All but one recruit is a 3-star player, according to 247Sports — the exception is Australian punter Maximilian von Marburg, who is unranked.

Head coach Dino Babers said the Orange are “halfway done” but have a lot more work to do. The recruiting class is small at the moment — SU had 21 recruits and three transfers for its Class of 2021.

“For us to be able to bring 12 athletes like this into Syracuse … There’s a lot of time, a lot of money invested in this, and hopefully it’ll pay off,” Babers said (a 13th was added later in the afternoon, following the conclusion of the press conference).

Babers reflects on Class of 2022 recruits

Babers said the Class of 2022 players who just signed as part of the early signing window were “basically locked in before the season was over.” Wednesday was the first of four stages, Babers explained, in addition to February’s signing day and two upcoming windows to add players from the transfer portal.

The Orange targeted certain positions, Babers said. Those appear to be defensive back — where they added five players — and offensive line, defensive line and linebacker, where they added two in each position.

“We felt comfortable with that number,” Babers said of the number of signees. “I think it gives us enough breathing room in the back-end to continue to grow this class.”

Syracuse’s recruiting class is spearheaded by 3-star running back LeQuint Allen, who Babers said had “a lot more stars and juice” than Sean Tucker. Allen was the New Jersey Gatorade Player of the Year. But Babers added that Allen needed to prove himself at the collegiate level, and that “we thought Sean was good too even though some other people didn’t.”

UAQGAHF23VARJO52EU4ZLC45TU.jpg

Syracuse graphic Brandon 'Bus' Whitaker recreated a version of a Black Panther poster for Quan Peterson.

Meet the Henninger grad who masterminded SU football’s movie-themed signing day (PS; Carlson)

Brandon “Bus” Whitaker knew what his passion was. He also knew he had college loans to pay.

So before his work was featured on ESPN and before he was brought on by Syracuse Athletics to build up the excitement of football recruits, the Henninger High School graduate spent six years trying to satisfy himself with more conventional jobs, working in Syracuse as a server in a senior-living community and as a storage clerk.

He would work those jobs, then stay up late into the night indulging his creative side, creating clothing, memes and recruiting graphics, often doing work for high school athletes for free.

He’d steal every minute he could before leaving for work. Too often he stole the first few minutes from work, too.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article256633251.html (heraldonline.com; Zietow)

Before the 2021 season, Quan Peterson told The Herald that his dreams were so big that they scared him. And on Wednesday — the first day of the early signing period for Division I football players — he realized his dreams were still quite big.

“They still scare me, too,” he said with a big smile. “This morning, when I was watching (the Syracuse football video), and I was hearing the draft prospects, I was like, ‘I’m really trying to be a pro.’

This is something I’ve been dreaming about since I was 4 years old.”

Peterson was one of four signees from South Pointe High School to turn their college sports dreams into reality on Wednesday. The talented defensive back ultimately chose to attend Syracuse, the school he committed to this past summer.

He finished his senior season with 20 tackles, six pass breakups and two interceptions — enough to make him a 2021 All-Region 3-4A selection and an All-State selection.

He also, of course, won his last game of football in high school: The Stallions were crowned 4A state champions earlier this month.

His favorite moment as a Stallion? “There’s never really been a dull moment here, every day something funny is happening,” he said and laughed.

“Really capping it all with a state championship was (perfect). My 10th grade to now, you couldn’t tell me we were going to win state. ... But this year we came in with a different mindset. And that’s what we did.”

A fun part from a Wednesday interview with @Quannyp1: I asked him why he chose Syracuse — a place so far away and a school that not many from @FootballSPHS’s rich football history have attended. His answer: “I’ve always wanted to be different. If you liked Mario, I liked Luigi.”

pic.twitter.com/AY8ISMhrpd

J54OJQKSBVBZ5JMZ3PYIHNRVBQ.jpeg

With his family watching, Denis Jaquez Jr. of St. Augustine Prep signed a National Letter of Intent on Wednesday morning to play college football at Syracuse. Photo courtesy of St. Augustine Prep

Jaquez decides to play college football with lifelong friend, signs with Syracuse (NJ; Minnick)

It turned out to be a late change of heart, but one Denis Jaquez had thought about for quite a while.

A Pennsauken resident and longtime friend of Syracuse freshman sensation Duce Chestnut, the St. Augustine senior defensive lineman signed a National Letter of Intent on Wednesday to play for the Orange and take his talents to the Atlantic Coast Conference program.

Chestnut was a former All-State defensive back who graduated from Camden.

Wednesday was the first day of the early signing period. Other St. Augustine players to make things official included offensive lineman Gavin Kennedy (Bucknell) and defensive backs Kenny Selby (Sacred Heart), Bradley Pao (Bucknell) and Trey McLeer (St. Francis). Defensive lineman Brady Small is headed to Army-West Point, while WR/DB Nasir Hill is committed to Princeton.

“It was a last-second decision,” Jaquez told NJ Advance Media. “I kind of wanted to stay closer to home and that was a big factor. I’ll also get a chance to play with one of my best friends growing up.

“From the minute he committed, Duce told me that I should come up for a visit. We always talked about playing college football together and now we’re making it a reality.”

Jaquez committed to Northwestern on Aug. 1, but announced via Twitter on Monday that he had de-committed from the Big Ten program.

Recapping Syracuse football's 2022 National Signing Day - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)
https://sujuiceonline.com/2021/12/16/recapping-syracuse-footballs-2022-national-signing-day/#
A quick take on Syracuse football’s first day of the 2022 Early Signing Period:

WHAT HAPPENED: The Orange added 14 new players on the first day of the early signing period. Heading into Wednesday, SU appeared in line to sign all 10 of their verbal commitments and were favored to flip Northwestern decommit Denis Jaquez. But as Wednesday unfolded, the Orange won two more recruiting battles, picking up a commitment from Louisville transfer Bralyn Oliver and 2022 linebacker Kadin Bailey, and a surprise pickup from Australian punter Max von Marburg.

NamePositionHeightWeightHometownHigh School
LeQuint AllenRB6-0205Millville, N.J.Millville
Kadin BaileyLB6-1210Jefferson, Ga.Jefferson
Belizaire Bassette IIDL6-2270Broward, Fla.American Heritage
Donovan BrownDL6-2172Montgomery Village, Md.Quince Orchard
Joe CruzOL6-6280Holbrook, N.Y.Sachem North
Dom FosterDB6-1175Warren, OhioWarren G. Harding
Denis Jaquez Jr.DB6-4235Richland, N.J.St. Augustine Prep
Mekhi MasonLB6-2220Pembroke Pines, Fla.Monsignor Pace
Cornell PerryDB6-1180Brownstown, Mich.Woodhaven
Quan PetersonDB6-1175Chester, S.C.South Pointe
Chad SchusterOL6-6275Franklin, Wisc.Franklin
Maximilian Von MarburgP6-0192Wagga Wagga, South WalesSt. Mary Mackillop
Colleges Wagga
Jeremiah WilsonDB5-11173Kissimmee, Fla.Osceola
Bralyn OliverDB6-1192Anderson, S.C.Louisville (transfer)
ANALYSIS:

1. Oliver arrives from Louisville with four years of eligibility remaining, having not appeared in any games with the Cardinals. He had originally committed to Oregon State as a transfer back in November, but flipped over to Syracuse after visiting the Orange over the weekend. Oliver was a three-star recruit in the 2021 recruiting cycle, and initially committed to Georgia before picking Louisville. His original offer list included Arkansas, Colorado, Duke and Florida. He is also a childhood friend of current Syracuse DL Jatius Geer.

Former Three-Star Safety Bralyn Oliver Transfers to Syracuse Football – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; May)

With Early National Signing Day upon us, Syracuse Football is bringing in its newest recruiting class. A plethora of high school players are committing to Cuse, but that is not the only talent Dino Babers is bringing in on December 15, 2021. Safety Bralyn Oliver has transferred to Syracuse.

Never leave my brother @Jatius1 #APTTMH @SC_DBGROUP @ElitePositionTr pic.twitter.com/B6tY5U2Qu6
— Bralyn “BO” Oliver (@bralynoliver8) December 15, 2021
Oliver is transferring from Louisville where he spent one season but did not play. The South Carolina native originally announced he was going to Oregon State on November 22, but then decommitted and changed to SU.

Oliver was a three-star recruit last year and the No. 28 safety according to 247Sports. He committed to Georgia while in high school, but then flipped to Louisville later. The safety was a highly sought after recruit with 20 scholarship offers, which included Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech.

In a conversation with Sports Illustrated Syracuse’s Mike McAllister, Oliver said it was his official visit to the 315 that sealed the deal for him.

College football: Syracuse announces signings to replenish depth (nny360.com; St Croix)

The Syracuse University football team added another intriguing running back on the heels of a record-setting rushing season and began replenishing depth to offset transfer losses to kick off the early national signing period on Wednesday.

Syracuse coach Dino Babers completed an active start to the three-day period by inking 13 new incoming freshmen to national letters of intent, including all 10 players who had verbally committed and a trio of surprise signees.

The Orange’s 2022 recruiting class was ranked No. 67 nationally on Friday evening, according to the 247Sports composite rankings, and 13th in the Atlantic Coast Conference. All but one player was rated three stars, the exception being Australian punter Maximilian Von Marburg, who was an unexpected addition and not rated by the major recruiting services.

Axe: SU football’s early signing day failed to move the needle (PS; $; Axe)

Deion Sanders gave Dino Babers and every college football head coach a hard act to follow on Wednesday.

The Jackson State head coach swooping in to snatch away the No. 1 recruit in the country from his alma mater at Florida State pegged the needle on the Early Signing Day richter scale.

Barely a blip registered at the Iocolano-Petty football complex at Syracuse University as the early signees of Syracuse football’s class of 2022 were formally introduced.

Before a small audience of reporters, staffers and his coaching staff, a business-like Babers didn’t oversell his new batch of recruits.

National Signing Day: Ranking the ACC's recruiting classes from top to bottom (247sports.com; Backus)

Now that the dust has settled on the first day of the early signing period, recruiting rankings are starting to take shape. While conferences like the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 cleaned up on Wednesday, several ACC schools quietly locked down some quality recruiting class.

North Carolina held on to its pair of five stars to ink what now stands as the No. 8 class in the nation. Despite some attrition leading up to Wednesday, Clemson still inked some serious playmakers and an incredibly talented quarterback. Florida State, for all the dings it took early, got some nice late additions and held on to a five star of its own.

And those are just the more notable classes. There was plenty of movement throughout the rest of the conference. Here is how the ACC stacks up in the 247Sports team composite recruiting rankings following the first day of the 2022 early signing period.

14. VIRGINIA CAVALIERS

Nine commits, No. 79 nationally
New Virginia coach Tony Elliott has some work to do between now and the late signing period in February. The Cavaliers saw a rash of decommitments between the surprising retirement of former coach Bronco Mendenhall and the early signing period and Elliott was officially announced just five days before Wednesday, putting him behind the eight ball when it comes to salvaging the class before the early signing window. Still, Virginia signed all of its holdovers, including four-star wide receiver Dakota Twitty.

13. SYRACUSE ORANGE

13 commits, No. 71 nationally
Syracuse had a couple nice pickups Wednesday, beating out Kansas State for three-star linebacker Kadin Bailey and a surprise signing from Australian punter Max von Marburg. Outside of that, though, it was another quiet day, as the Orange will also look to add more targets and hit the transfer portal to fill out their scholarship allotment.
"I’d say we’re halfway done," Syracuse coach Dino Babers said. "And only half the work is done. We’ve got a lot more work to do. I appreciate the work these coaches have done in this back room. I appreciate them very much."

12. WAKE FOREST DEMON DEACONS

12 commits, No. 66 nationally
Again, Wake Forest did not have a drama-filled signing period. The Demon Deacons held on to the core of their 2022 class, which included securing the signature of four-star wide receiver Wesley Grimes. Several major programs, including Notre Dame and North Carolina, offered the Raleigh (NC) Millbrook High School product in November, but he visited Wake Forest in the weekend leading into the early signing period and shut things down from there.

11. PITTSBURGH PANTHERS

12 commits, No. 64 nationally
Pitt had a couple decommits in the weeks leading up to the early signing period, including talented wide receiver Camden Brown, who ended up signing with Auburn Wednesday. Pitt picked up a commitment and signed three-star edge rusger Samuel Okunlola and got running back Jordaan Bailey back in the fold after he backed out of his pledge to the Panthers in November — a couple nice wins for coach Pat Narduzzi.

10. MIAMI HURRICANES

8 commits, No. 60 nationally
Despite only netting eight signatures, Mario Cristobal’s first signing period with the Hurricanes was a resounding success. Miami fended off runs from Ole Miss and Mississippi State to hang on to Khamauri Rogers, the No. 14 CB in the 247Sports Composite, and fought off in-state rival Florida State to ink four-star LB Wesley Bissainthe. In terms of additions, Cristobal’s staff beat some major programs for defensive lineman Nyjalik Kelly, the No. 84 prospect nationally.

2021 Best Bowl Trips (RX; HM)

2021 Best Bowl Trips

From Athlon Sports' "A Traveler's Ranking of the Bowls Outside the New Year's Six", here are the ACC-related bowls (and their "traveler's rankings"):

23. Military Bowl Presented by Peraton

Launched: 2008
This Year’s Game: East Carolina vs. Boston College (Dec. 27, 2021)
This bowl seems to have found its footing since it moved from Washington D.C.’s RFK Stadium to Annapolis and signed agreements with the AAC and ACC. Now it hosts a game in a beautiful town that is generally within driving distance for both schools a few days after Christmas. Well done.

22. SERVPRO First Responder Bowl

Launched: 2011
This Year’s Game: Air Force vs. Louisville (Dec. 28, 2021)
Formerly the Heart of Dallas Bowl, this game was originally played in the old Cotton Bowl stadium before moving to SMU's campus. It is generally hit or miss with its matchups.

New ACC Coaches for 2022 (RX; HM)

New ACC Coaches for 2022

Next Fall there will be new coaches all over the ACC...

TeamCoachOutIn
ClemsonDCBrent VenablesWes Goodwin
OCTony ElliottBrandon Streeter
DukeHCDavid CutcliffeMike Elko
Georgia TechOCDave PatenudeChip Long
RBTashard Choicetbd
MiamiHCManny DiazMario Cristobal
SyracuseOCSterlin Gilberttbd
VirginiaHCBronco MendenhallTony Elliott
Virginia TechHCJustin FuenteBrent Pry
DCJustin HamiltonChris Marve
OCBrad CornelsenTyler Bowen
Notre DameHCBrian KellyMarcus Freeman

If we include Notre Dame, there will be five ACC schools with new head football coaches (Duke, Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Notre Dame), three more with new offensive coordinators (Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Syracuse), and one of those also has a new defensive coordinator (Clemson).

North Carolina will face six of those eight teams (Notre Dame, Duke, Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia, and Virginia Tech). So will Pitt (Miami, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, Virginia).

Some of these changes don't appear to be for the better. How can Goodwin fill the shoes of Brent Venables at Clemson? Duke, UVa, and Notre Dame lost some really good head coaches, too (although Cutcliffe may be past his prime).

Others look like upgrades, at least on paper. I really like Mario Cristobal at Miami. Chip Long comes to GT with a great resume (although it might be too little, too late there). Honestly, I like Streeter as an OC, too.

Other

NH7JDXZB3JHUFJNUQMN27CYB6I.jpeg

This 2014 file photo shows home improvement contractor Matt Blashaw as DIRECTV partners with Scripps Networks Interactive on Special Veterans Project in Inglewood, California. (Photo by Joe Scarnici/Getty Images for DIRECTV)

HGTV to film new TV show in Syracuse on Thursday (PS; Herbert)

Cameras will be rolling for a new television series in Central New York this week.

HGTV says it will be filming in Syracuse on Thursday for its new series, “Build It Forward,” hosted by Matt Blashaw and Taniya Nayak. The five-part series, developed in collaboration with Lowe’s, will feature a surprise home renovation for a local community member.

Syracuse will be featured in an hour-long episode for the series, which will premiere on HGTV and Discovery+ in early 2022 with a companion mid-form series available on HGTV.com, social and TV Everywhere. Four other home makeovers in other states across the country will be featured in the other episodes.

syracuse.com | The Post-Standard will be on hand to cover HGTV’s arrival Thursday, and will post an updated story after the home renovation recipient is officially announced.

I DESPISE headlines such as “if it stands like this, it’s Dino’s worst recruiting class in his 7 years” or any similar such ilk.

This class is literally just beginning.
This was the opening salvo.

And landing an extra 4 guys more than expected is a very positive sign -
It’s almost as if all these new recruits didn’t get the memo that Dino is a dead man walking, and what were they thinking signing w Syracuse? :rolleyes: