Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day originated as a Western Christian feast day honoring an early Saint named Valentine. It is still an official feast in some denominations, although the day was removed from the Catholic General Roman Calendar because not much information was known about the Saint. The day is now also a cultural and commercial holiday centered around romance and love. It is celebrated in many places around the globe, although it is not a public holiday. Symbols associated with the day are the heart-shaped outline, doves, and the figure of a winged Cupid.

There was actually not just one Saint Valentine, but three. The first and most noteworthy was Saint Valentine of Rome. He was a priest in Rome, was martyred in 269 CE, and was added to the calendar of saints in 496, by Pope Galesius. Legend has it that Valentine was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to get married, and for ministering to and assisting Christians who had been persecuted under the Roman Empire. It also is said that he cut hearts from parchment and gave them to persecuted Christians and soldiers, to remind them of their vows and God's love. Another legend says that during his imprisonment he healed the blind daughter of his jailer, and sent her a letter before his execution, signing it as "Your Valentine." Saint Valentine is buried on the Via Flaminia.

SU News

2DJFTGO6DRCBZG3CXZYJEXFBOM.jpg

Syracuse University football quarterback Bernie Custis throws a pass in practice. After a record-setting career at SU between 1948 and 1950, he became the first professional Black quarterback in football history after signing with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Canada in 1951.

After breaking records at Syracuse University, Bernie Custis becomes first pro Black quarterback (PS; Croyle)

From Wilmet Sidat-Singh in the 1930s to Don McPherson, Marvin Graves, and Donovan McNabb in the ‘80s and ‘90s, Syracuse University football has long had a legacy of great Black quarterbacks.

But it was a name that bridges those SU legends, Bernie Custis, that would make history when he became the first ever professional Black quarterback in 1951.

Custis played three years of football at SU, taking center stage when coach Ben Schwartzwalder promoted him to starting quarterback in 1949. The Cleveland Browns drafted him into the NFL in 1951, but the coach told Custis he was “ahead of his time” for a QB and relegated him to playing safety with the defense.

Certain of his ability to lead a team, Custis quit the Browns. He was picked up by a Canadian team, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He would earn all-star honors as their starting quarterback and led the team to a championship after just two years.

Born in Washington D.C. on Sept. 23, 1928, Custis graduated from Philadelphia’s John Bartram High School in 1947 and was, according to a 1948 newspaper article, remembered by “city sportswriters and broadcasters as one of the city’s all-time outstanding high school performers.”

He excelled in football and track.

Custis enrolled at Syracuse University in 1947. He studied journalism and was a member of the junior varsity football team.

1948 Press Photo Bernie Custis, football player

This is Bernie Custis as a sophomore in 1948. He played halfback that season but threw the ball enough to be regarded as Syracuse's most dangerous offensive player.

Syracuse Football: Breaking down the Orange 2022 schedule, NC State (itlh; Fiello)

Before the Syracuse football 2022 schedule was released, I said that despite the tough teams on the schedule, I thought this team could still have success and be a bowl team based on what I have seen so far this offseason. And when the schedule came out, it does appear difficult but I still stand by it.

So I sat down and decided that instead of just saying that I believe it again, I wanted to break the games down one by one and give you the information you need to decide for yourself. I will go game by game with fun stats like head-to-head outcomes, players to watch, my way too early rating of difficulty, and a few other notes that might help.

Here are the teams scheduled and links to those that are already published in case you missed one:

Louisville
UConn
Purdue
Virginia
Wagner
Bye Week
NC State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Florida State
Wake Forest
Boston College

Breaking down Syracuse football hosting N.C. State on the Hill.

Syracuse Orange vs NC State Wolfpack

Saturday, October 15, 2022 (time and viewing options TBD)

Last season head to head
: NC State won 41-17 in Raleigh, NC. In fact, did you know, according to winsipedia, NC State has won 13 of the 15 times these two teams have played each other since 1972? Syracuse’s only wins were in 2013 and 2018.

Opponent’s overall record last season: The Wolfpack were 9-3 (6-2 in the ACC). Scheduled to play in the Holiday Bowl against UCLA but it was later canceled.

Stats from their last face-off: Looking at the recap on ESPN.com, Syracuse’s only touchdowns were Garrett Shrader and Sean Tucker breaking off big runs of 48 yards and 55 yards respectively. Mikel Jones led the team with 12 tackles and the only solo sack. Andre Szmyt was 1-1 from 45 yards out. Cooper Lutz actually had a 32-yard kick return at one point as well.

Possible level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 8.5. I said last season the Wolfpack scared me and I’m still not looking past them this year. This is coming off an early bye week compared to years past so hopefully, the week off and playing at home can help. NC State will be coming off a game from FSU with their bye week the week after this so hopefully Syracuse is rested, healthy and ready. Also, it looks like NC State will probably start out the 2022 season ranked in or near the top 10 teams in the nation and deservedly so even if I think it’s crazy to rank teams until at least a few games have been played.

Key person on opposing team: LB Drake Thomas. In 2021, Drake had 8 tackles, 2 sacks and an interception he returned for a touchdown. There are a lot of productive players returning next season for the Wolfpack so you could chose one of many but Thomas is hard to ignore based on how well he played against the Orange last season.

How can Syracuse win: If Syracuse football didn’t have Clemson on the road and Notre Dame on the schedule (their next two games by the way), I’d say this would be the hardest on the schedule but it still might be depending on how Syracuse football is playing. That said, Syracuse is going to have to play very well both offensively and defensively if they want a chance to win this game. Syracuse did have some success running the ball against NC State in 2021 so that’ll likely be key but hopefully can balance it out with some passing plays as well. Also, NC State scored 41 points against Syracuse football in their last game and passed for over 300 yards so Duce, Williams and the rest of the secondary will have to contain them.

Other news, notes and nuggets:

– Dinosaur BBQ > The Pit

– This game will be the halfway point of the schedule. Hopefully, the Orange is at least 3-3 when this game is over. I’m hoping for better honestly but praying it not worse. A win here against a team like this will also help fans and TV executives/bowl game appeal. If Syracuse does win and already is like 4-2 or better, it could mean a good TV spot against Clemson next week possibly either on ESPN or maybe ABC even. One positive thing about a tough schedule is if Syracuse can win, networks will love putting these matchups in attractive time slots and channels.

– Get used to NC State being good. ESPN reporter Andrea Adelson is reporting that they’re negotiating with current head coach Dave Doeren to extend his contract into possibly the $5 million a season range after 9 seasons of success there.

Syracuse football 5-star target, the No. 1 RB, says recruitment ‘100% open’ (itlh; Adler)

After I penned a column not too long ago that Syracuse football had offered a 2023 five-star prospect, who is rated the No. 1 running back in his class by some recruiting services, understandably some of my fellow Orange fans chimed in that they thought the ‘Cuse has little to no shot at landing Rueben Owens ll from Texas.

I get it. The Orange hasn’t exactly been stellar on the field in recent years, and the 5-foot-11, 190-pound Owens holds more than 40 scholarship offers, including from some of the heavyweights in college football.

Then again, I credit Syracuse football coaches for getting into the recruiting fray for Owens. As I always say, you can’t prevail in a recruiting battle over a top-flight prospect unless you offer him first.

Plus, Owens did recently send out a tweet that read in part, “Recruiting 100% open.” Is the ‘Cuse likely a long shot for him? Probably. But does the Orange have a shot at picking up Owens? Hey, I’m a believer!

Recruiting 100% open to all don’t believe the crystal ball https://t.co/Tr7XinMXsr
— Rueben Owens ll #4soCr4zy (@ii_rueben) February 9, 2022

Syracuse football five-star target Rueben Owens ll is keeping his options open.

Despite the frustrations of many ‘Cuse fans over the team’s performance for numerous seasons now, let’s remember that Syracuse football does have a track record of producing stellar running backs.

Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis. Floyd Little. Jim Brown. Larry Csonka (maybe more of a fullback). Joe Morris. Just to name a few. And, this past season, Orange running back Sean Tucker broke the school’s single-season mark for rushing yards, and he was named an All-American.

I recognize that the ‘Cuse moniker as “Running Back U” stems in large part from performances by Syracuse football RBs decades ago, but Tucker’s output in 2021, hopefully, is something that might intrigue Owens.

I know that the odds are probably low for Syracuse football to land Owens, who is a junior at El Campo High School in El Campo, Texas. The 2021 National Junior of the Year according to MaxPreps, Owens this past term rushed for 2,989 yards and scored 46 rushing touchdowns.

At one time, Owens was verbally committed to Texas. But his recruitment, these days, appears to potentially be wide open, even if his other offers include from squads such as Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas A&M, Auburn, Baylor, Wisconsin, Houston, Penn State and USC.

Per his bio on the 247Sports Web site, besides his Orange offer in early February, others to recently offer Owens are Grambling State and Prairie View A&M.

Most of the primary recruiting services rank him as the No. 1 or No. 2 running back in the 2023 class. The majority of recruiting Web sites view him as a top-25 to a top-50 overall prospect in this cycle.

As we recently noted, the ‘Cuse did snag a couple of four-star commits in its 2022 class, although I’m the first to admit that Owens’ national rankings are on a whole different playing field.

ACC Football Road Trip: Florida State | Watch ESPN (ESPN; $; ACCN TV)

Enjoy a one hour road trip to Tallahassee and learn more about FSU, its' traditions and campus.

Happy 10th Anniversary to ACCFootballRx! (RX; HM)

Congrats Mark!

Happy 10th Anniversary to ACCFootballRx!

The first article ever published on this blog was called Prescription for ACC Football, published on February 14th, 2012. That makes today the 10th Anniversary of ACCFootballRx!

Five years ago, when we celebrated the 5th anniversary on February 14th, 2017, it was also our 4,000th post. We declared out 5-year mission - providing the prescription for getting back to the top of the college football world - to be accomplished. Florida State had won a national championship in the 2013 season, then Clemson won one in the 2016 season.

Since then, Clemson won another national title, and we've published another 5,340+ articles. In total, this blog has been viewed over 3.29 million times - Thank you! With your help, perhaps we can pass 3.3 million sooner, rather than later.

When does it all end? Who knows. I've threatened to quit writing many times, but the bug keeps coming back. So let's just say "enjoy the ride as long as it lasts"!

Super Bowl LVI Roster Analysis (RX; HM)

Super Bowl LVI Roster Analysis

Here is a breakdown of the Super Bowl team rosters by ACC school attended, along with their Rivals star rating coming out of high school. We gave you the totals by school a few days ago, but this time we're naming names and telling recruiting rankings!

Bengals roster and Rivals rankings
PlayerPositionRivals rankingCollege
Jessie Bates IIILB2-starWake Forest
Tyler BoydWR4-starPittsburgh
Jackson CarmanOL5-starClemson
Tee HigginsWR5-starClemson
B.J. HillDT3-starNC State
Khalid KareemDE4-starNotre Dame
Germaine PrattLB4-starNC State
Wyatt RayDE3-starBoston College
D.J. ReaderDL3-starClemson
Auden TateWR4-starFlorida State
Rams roster and Rivals rankings
PlayerPositionRivals rankingCollege
Cam AkersRB5-starFlorida State
Tremayne AnchrumOL3-starClemson
Aaron DonaldDT3-starPittsburgh
Bryce PerkinsQB3-starVirginia
Jalen RamseyDB5-starFlorida State
Ben SkowronekWR3-starNotre Dame
John WolfordQB3-starWake Forest (

Links, News, and Rumors 2022-02-13 (RX; HM)

Sankey trying to force the ACC to agree to a playoff expansion by tieing it to the issue of removal of divisions in college football. Can The Alliance defeat the SEC?

Links, News, and Rumors 2022-02-13

CBS Sports lists "10 college football teams that can crack the top 25 and make some noise in 2022"; here are the ACC teams (not named Clemson) on their list:

3 Pittsburgh

Quarterback Kenny Pickett posted one of Pittsburgh's all-time seasons in 2021 becoming a Heisman finalist, but coach Pat Narduzzi quickly landed USC transfer Kedon Slovis out of the portal to go along with Biletnikoff winner Jordan Addison at wide receiver. It will be hard to repeat an 11-win season and an ACC title, but the Panthers won't be far off. As long as Narduzzi is around, Pittsburgh will have a physical defense. Defensive lineman Calijah Kancey (13 tackles for loss) is a good place to start.

7 Miami (FL)

New coach, up-and-coming quarterback, millions upon millions invested in the program. That's the state of Miami football right now. Mario Cristobal took the job because he believes he can do something no coach has done at UM since Butch Davis -- put a fence around South Florida and return swagger back to The U. QB Tyler Van Dyke threw for at least 316 yards with 13 total touchdowns over his last four games. At last check, existing Hurricanes were making a combined $550,000 in NIL money in 2022. You better believe that sends a message to recruits.

9 NC State

The Wolfpack are coming off their third nine-win season since 2017. There is plenty around to keep that momentum going. NC State beat Clemson and has the architect of that win, quarterback Devin Leary, returning. The offense averaged 33 points per game in 2021. It wasn't held under 28 points the final eight games. The defense returns most of its playmakers after finishing second in ACC scoring defense. The fact that coach Dave Doeren's name keeps coming up for jobs is a testament to his value. There are tough road trips to revenge-minded Clemson as well as Louisville and North Carolina. To take the next step, the Wolfpack must do better than 4-10 against ranked teams since 2017.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

“Options include kind of this single-division structure,” Sankey said. “It doesn’t mean we’d go to that, but perhaps there are no divisions. If we do that, that needs to be carefully considered. We’ve seen a bit of a rush of commentary — ‘Hey, let’s just go ahead and change our expectations of how a conference championship game is conducted.’ That’s really the rule in play. What do you have to do to have a conference championship game? Someone said, ‘let’s go change that quickly.’ Well, it’s interesting that those who want to change that aspect quickly — that ties directly into the postseason — don’t want to look at the postseason and try to address those issues in a timely fashion.

Other

Two new Jersey Mike’s Subs coming to Onondaga County (PS; $; Doran)

Two new Jersey Mike’s Subs are coming to Onondaga County, giving the chain four locations in Syracuse’s suburbs.

A new sub shop is scheduled to open Feb. 23 in the former Antonio’s To Go at 3528 W. Genesee St. in Fairmount, in the town of Camillus, town and Jersey Mike’s officials confirmed.

Antonio’s to Go closed in April 2021.

The new Jersey Mike’s will be a corporate location. It will be in the small plaza next to Game Stop and FedEx.

The other Jersey Mike’s is targeted for 7915 Route 11 in Cicero, across from the existing Chick-fil-A.

Construction on the Cicero location isn’t expected to be completed until spring, with a targeted opening in April, said Sierra DePerno, Jersey Mike’s district manager.

Jersey Mike’s opened its first Syracuse-area store in October 2019 in Marshall’s Plaza in DeWitt. Its second Onondaga County location is at 115 Elwood Davis Road in the town of Salina. It opened in November 2021.

The national sub shop chain, which started out as Mike’s Subs in New Jersey in 1956, has more than 2,060 locations, with more in development.

The shop features hot and cold subs and wraps.