Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day - Made with PosterMyWall.jpg
Welcome to International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day!

All dog owners, remember that February 23rd is National Dog Biscuit Day! This day is also observed around the world as International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day.

Dog biscuits come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and flavors. They serve to reward a man’s best friend for good behavior as part of their training. Dog owners may also give a biscuit to show their canine companions just how much they love them, too. Sometimes, dog biscuits serve to deliver vitamins and medicines we may have difficulty getting our pooches to take otherwise.

SU News

Syracuse's Courtney Jackson, Chris Elmore lead room that could key more big plays (Spring slot WR/TE preview) (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football is inching toward its return to the practice field. The players are going through winter conditioning with the typical start to spring practice (date TBA) coming up in March.

We've already taken an early stab at pinning down the Week 1 two-deep depth chart for both the Orange offense and defense. Now let's take a closer look at each position group as it stands this spring. Last week, we covered quarterbacks, running backs and outside receivers. Now we'll move on to the slot receivers and tight ends.

WHO RETURNS?

Courtney Jackson, 4th-year rSo., 5-11, 185

Jackson emerged as SU's primary slot man following the mid-season transfer of Taj Harris last fall. He ultimately logged a team-high 37 catches for 389 yards and three touchdowns. The Pennsylvania native also returned a punt for a touchdown en route to earning a spot on Pro Football Focus' All-ACC team.

Trebor Pena, 3rd-year So., 6-0, 185

A dynamic athlete, Pena went up top for a 62-yard scoring strike against Clemson. He also logged some long returns, including a 39-yard kickoff return against Florida State and a 51-yard punt return at Virginia Tech. Pena missed the final four-plus contests of the year due to a season-ending upper-body injury.

Devaughn Cooper, 7th-year rSr., 5-11, 175

One of the few seventh-year players out there, Cooper returns as perhaps the most important walk-on on the team. He played in all 11 games last year, catching 21 passes for 199 yards. The former UTEP and Arizona pass-catcher logged at least one reception in each of SU's last eight games.

Ja'Vontae Williams, 3rd-year rFr., 6-1, 210

Williams did not dress for any games last year after appearing in five as a true freshman in 2020.

Chris Elmore, 6th-year rSr., 6-0, 265

SU's de facto lead blocker missed the first four games of 2021 due to an undisclosed reason and the last four due to injury, allwing him the option to take a medical redshirt and return for Year 6. 'Rhino' has 52 appearances to his name and will serve as an integral piece to the Orange's running game this fall.

Maximilian Mang, 3rd-year So., 6-7, 265

Mang was Elmore's primary replacement last year, helping pave the way for Sean Tucker to piece together his All-American season. A Nuthetal, Germany native, Mang will look to add strength ahead of his third collegiate season.

Syracuse Football: In 2022, SU will look to exact revenge on Florida State (itlh; Fiello)

Before the Syracuse football 2022 schedule was released, I said that despite the tough teams on the schedule, I thought this team could still have success and be a bowl team based on what I have seen so far this offseason. And when the schedule came out, it does appear difficult but I still stand by it.

So I sat down and decided that instead of just saying that I believe it again, I wanted to break the games down one by one and give you the information you need to decide for yourself. I will go game by game with fun stats like head-to-head outcomes, players to watch, my way too early rating of difficulty, and a few other notes that might help.

Here are the teams scheduled and links to those that are already published in case you missed one:

Louisville
UConn
Purdue
Virginia
Wagner
Bye Week
NC State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Florida State
Wake Forest
Boston College

Let’s do a deep dive on Syracuse football hosting Florida State.

Syracuse Orange vs Florida State Seminoles

Saturday, November 12, 2022 (time and viewing options TBD)

Last season head to head
: FSU won 33-30 with a literal last-second field goal after Syracuse football fought back from a 30-20 deficit. And Winsipedia has informed me that an FSU win isn’t rare with them leading in the head-to-head matchup 12 out of 14 times.

Opponent’s overall record last season: FSU finished 5-7 (4-4 in the ACC Atlantic division) after a rough start in head coach Mike Norvell’s second season as head coach.

Stats from their last face-off: Wanted to source this one from syracuse.com and according to Nate Mink and the staff there, this is what I found. Both QB Garrett Shrader and RB Sean Tucker had over 100 yards rushing the ball with Shrader actually scoring 3 touchdowns on the ground and added another one in the air to Anthony Queeley. On the defensive side, Duce Chesnut had an amazing interception to help put Syracuse football in a position to get back in the game. Jonathan Kingsley and Terry Lockett had the only sacks while Marlowe Wax and Mikel Jones led the team with 10 tackles each.

Possible level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: I’m honestly not sure what to expect out of this game or FSU next season but I’m giving this a 6 for now. FSU struggled to start the season last year but found some success with the SU win and after. If I had to guess, I’d think they’ll be much improved in 2022 so it could be more difficult than I’m leaning right now but I also think SU will be improved and will have home-field advantage for their last home game of the season.

Key person on the opposing team: DE Jared Verse. I hyped up the guy hoping Syracuse football could land him in the portal so it would be a bit hypocritical to not sing his praises now. The former Albany transfer had a great game against Syracuse football last year while with Albany and attracted many suitors during his transfer courting period including SEC teams before deciding to go with FSU. He could play a role in making it tough to have the rushing game Syracuse had last time they played FSU.

Syracuse football will have its hands full with potent Wake Forest offense (itlh; Fiello)

Before the Syracuse football 2022 schedule was released, I said that despite the tough teams on the schedule, I thought this team could still have success and be a bowl team based on what I have seen so far this offseason. And when the schedule came out, it does appear difficult but I still stand by it.

So I sat down and decided that instead of just saying that I believe it again, I wanted to break the games down one by one and give you the information you need to decide for yourself. I will go game by game with fun stats like head-to-head outcomes, players to watch, my way too early rating of difficulty, and a few other notes that might help.

Here are the teams scheduled and links to those that are already published in case you missed one:

Louisville
UConn
Purdue
Virginia
Wagner
Bye Week
NC State
Clemson
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Florida State
Wake Forest
Boston College

Let’s break down the Syracuse football game at Wake Forest.

Syracuse Orange vs Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Saturday, November 19, 2022 (time and viewing options TBD)

Last season and overall head to head
: Wake Forest won 40-37 in 2021. If you’re curious, Winsipedia states that this is one team Syracuse football actually has the advantage over in the history of their playing but not by much. Syracuse football is 6-5 against Wake Forest (possible rival?).

Opponent’s overall record last season: Wake Forest finished the 2020 season 11-3 and 7-1 in the ACC finishing first in the ACC Atlantic division. Played in the ACC Championship game against Pittsburgh but lost 45-21. Defeated Rutgers 38-10 in the Gator Bowl.

Stats from their last face-off: QB Garrett Shrader didn’t light up the scoreboard with passing stats but he did go 15 for 27 for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also rushed 29 times for 178 yards and a touchdown. RB Sean Tucker also had a great rushing performance that even he had to be proud of despite the loss as he had 153 yards and 2 touchdowns rushing plus a receiving touchdown as well. On the defensive side, DB Jason Simmons had 7 tackles and an interception and Stefon Thompson led the team in tackles with 9.

Possible level of difficulty on a scale of 1-10: 8 mostly because Wake generally plays Syracuse football well with Head Coach Dave Clawson in charge. Plus Wake QB Sam Hartman scares me. Wake also gets home-field advantage this time around and while it may not be Death Valley, I expect Wake will play well at home.

Key person on the opposing team: QB Sam Hartman. As mentioned above, he scares me and has announced he’s returning in 2022. He’s a talented quarterback who knows the system well, passed for 330 yards in the last meeting of these two teams and had great chemistry with WR A.T. Perry, who was the receiver with all three Wake TD receptions against the Orange in 2021.

How can Syracuse win: Wake played Syracuse football previously when they were undefeated and the Orange played them close. Last season Andre Szmyt missed a field goal that could have made this a tie. With new special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky on board, I’m fully expecting a returning Szmyt to be more consistent and could contribute hugely if this is another close game. Stefon led the team in tackles last time these teams played and is returning to the Orange so hopefully he can have another big game. COVER A.T. PERRY!!!!

View attachment 214558

Troy vs. Syracuse 2027

ACC football: Ranking projected starting quarterbacks in 2022 (247sports.com; Marsdale)

While the ACC didn’t have a team make the College Football Playoff in 2021 and disappointed as a whole, the conference didn’t have any shortage of good quarterback play. That should be the case again in 2022, as 10 of the conference’s 14 teams are expected to return the guy who finished last season as the starter, while others went into the NCAA transfer portal and plucked talent.

The conference loses its two most prominent arms, as Sam Howell departed North Carolina for the NFL and ACC player of the year Kenny Pickett did the same at Pittsburgh. The Tar Heels have two prominent ex-recruits in the waiting to compete, while the Panthers added ex-USC standout Kedon Slovis from the portal.

Things could change from now until fall camp, especially in the era of the transfer portal. Some in the conference will even hold an open competition at the position. For now, the ACC seems to have stability when it comes to the quarterback situation in most places, though.

Over six months out from the 2022 season, Athlon Sports released its way-too-early quarterback rankings. Take a look below to see how they play out:

1. SAM HARTMAN, WAKE FOREST

The completion percentage could have been higher, but Hartman was an absolute gunslinger last season. In 14 games, he completed 58.9% of his passes for 4,228 yards, throwing 39 touchdowns to 14 interceptions. Heading into 2022, he should be just as good, if not better. He led Wake Forest to the ACC Championship Game. Despite the loss to Pittsburgh, he bounced back with the Demon Deacons in a Gator Bowl win over Rutgers. Hartman is going to put up gaudy numbers. The question is, will he take the small extra step to become elite?

2. TYLER VAN DYKE, MIAMI

Van Dyke filled in for the injured D'Eriq King and found immediate success for Miami. He completed 62.3% of his passes for 2,931 yards and threw 25 touchdowns to six interceptions. Van Dyke should thrive under new head coach Mario Cristobal’s leadership in 2022. He could fight to be the top quarterback in the ACC and put the Hurricanes in conference title contention. Van Dyke had quite the command of the offense last season and that should continue well into 2022.

3. BRENNAN ARMSTRONG, VIRGINIA

Armstrong went off for the Cavaliers in 2021 but the team did not find as much success as anticipated. Under new head coach Tony Elliott, the former Clemson offensive coordinator, Armstrong could be even better. In 2021, Armstrong completed 65.3% of his passes for 4,444 yards, tossing 31 touchdowns to 10 interceptions. After all, Elliott did coach a guy named Trevor Lawrence at one point. Armstrong brings back a lot of talent and experience and he should take a nice step forward in helping Virginia contend in an open ACC.

4. DEVIN LEARY, NC STATE

During his fourth year with the program — and third active season — Leary returned from a season-ending injury in 2020 to put together one of the best seasons in NC State history. The Sicklerville, New Jersey, native passed for 3,433 yards, 35 touchdowns and just five interceptions during the regular season. Those 35 touchdown passes were already a Wolfpack record, eclipsing Philip Rivers' 34 thrown during the 2003 season, and he still has one game left on the year. Leary figures to have the Wolfpack in good position for an ACC Coastal title in 2022.

5. MALIK CUNNINGHAM, LOUISVILLE

Cunningham accounted for 39 touchdowns (20 rushing, 19 passing) during a 2021 campaign in which the Cardinals went 6-7. The former three-star recruit from the Class of 2017 completed 62% of his passes for 2,941 yards and went for more than 1,000 on the ground, averaging six per carry. Louisville will look for more success in the win column in 2022, and Cunningham is set to be a key piece should they increase their total. The program enters a crucial season in Year 4 under head coach Scott Satterfield.

6. JORDAN TRAVIS, FLORIDA STATE

A transfer from Louisville who arrived at Florida State in 2019 Travis had his most extensive action and best season as a college quarterback last season. Opening the season as the starter and playing in 10 games, he completed 62.9% of his passes for 1,539 yards, throwing 15 touchdowns to six interceptions. Travis was also a playmaker on the ground, averaging four yards per attempt while gaining 530 yards and scoring seven touchdowns. Like Louisville, this is another ACC program that enters a year having to take the next step, with the Seminoles looking to get to postseason play for the first time in year four under Mike Norvell.

7. PHIL JURKOVEC, BOSTON COLLEGE

Jurkovec dominated in Boston College's season opener against Colgate, but then suffered a broken throwing hand against UMass the following weekend, placing him out indefinitely and off draft boards until he was able to return. The Notre Dame transfer who arrived in 2020 reassumed his spot under center in the Red Bandana game against Virginia Tech in early November after missing six games. He promptly led Boston College to consecutive wins, dominating Georgia Tech in Week 11 with nearly 400 yards of offense and five total touchdowns en route to ACC Quarterback of the Week honors. Jurkovec finished the regular season with 914 passing yards, seven touchdowns and four interceptions.

8. KEDON SLOVIS, PITTSBURGH

(Photo: Shotgun Spratling | USCfootball.com, 247Sports)
In three seasons with USC, Slovis completed 68.4% of his passes, threw 7,576 yards and 58 touchdowns to 24 interceptions. Slovis will get to throw to 2021 Biletnikoff Award Winner Jordan Addison, a combination that could develop into one of college football’s best. The Panthers get an experienced play to take over for Kenny Pickett, who departed for the NFL after a breakout season in his fifth campaign with the program. Head coach Pat Narduzzi has to hope the offense doesn’t skip a beat.

9. D.J. UIAGALELEI, CLEMSON

Uiagalelei is a former 247Sports Composite five-star recruit, who will battle with freshman five-star Cade Klubnik for Clemson's starting job in 2022 after a tough 2021 season during which he completed 55.6% of his passes for 2,246 yards and nine touchdowns against six interceptions. Many thought Uiagalelei struggled as Clemson failed to reach the College Football Playoff for the first time since 2014. Should the Tigers bounce back and achieve their usual goal of winning a national championship again, he’ll definitely have to up his game.

10. DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

Maye was the No. 56-ranked recruit from the Class of 2021, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite out of Charlotte (N.C.) Myers Park. He’ll battle Jacolby Criswell for the starting job, who was the composite’s No. 262-ranked player from the Class of 2020 out of Morrilton (Ark.) High. Head coach Mack Brown did not dip into the transfer portal, sticking to his word from December that he believed Howell’s successor as currently on the roster.

I am convinced," Brown said at the time when asked if he felt like UNC’s 2022 QB was on the roster. "We’ve got some good players on the team. ... We have Jacolby Criswell, who has been here now for two years. He was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Arkansas. You've got Drake Maye, who will have been here a full year in January and he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in North Carolina. We just signed the Gatorade Player of the Year last year in Alabama, Conner Harrell who is 24-1, 4.5 student, and the Valedictorian of his high school. So they haven't done it yet at this level."

11. GARRETT SHRADER, SYRACUSE

Shrader took over the starting job in Week 4 last season and went on to be one of the most productive running signal-callers in the nation. He racked up 781 yards on the ground as well as 14 touchdowns — both good for second in school history among quarterbacks. Shrader's combination of power and shiftiness proved to be a natural complement to All-American running back Sean Tucker. In the passing game, though, he completed 52.6% of his passes for 1,444 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions.

ACC Football: Early 2022 QB Preview and Rankings (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

College football's 2022 season is still months away, but spring practice is just around the corner, and it’s time to take a look at quarterback play in the ACC. With the bulk of the transfer movement and National Signing Day in the books, most of the 131 programs at the FBS level have a good idea of how their roster is going to look this season. The quarterback position is always under the spotlight, but the transfer portal has added another avenue for teams to quickly improve a struggling signal-caller or find the right option.

It’s a deep year for quarterback play in the ACC going into spring practice for the ’22 season. Wake Forest’s Sam Hartman, Virginia’s Brennan Armstrong, Miami’s Tyler Van Dyke and NC State’s Devin Leary headline the top group of options returning this fall. Additionally, Louisville’s Malik Cunningham, Florida State’s Jordan Travis and Boston College’s Phil Jurkovec are back to headline a strong second tier.

With spring practice quickly approaching, Athlon Sports will examine the quarterback situations for the Power 5 conferences and how the outlook has changed from '21. Here's a look at the ACC for '22:

ACC Football: Early 2022 QB Preview and Rankings

ACC Atlantic

Boston College

Projected 2022 Starter: Phil Jurkovec

Jurkovec was primed to rank as one of the ACC’s top quarterbacks last season, but a wrist injury in early September limited him to just six games. Jurkovec averaged 9.5 yards per attempt over six contests and completed 54.2 percent of his passes for 914 yards and seven scores.
Key Spring Storylines: A healthy season out of Jurkovec will help his stock rebound in ’22. Boston College does have to retool the offensive line with four starters departing for the NFL.

Clemson

Projected 2022 Starter: DJ Uiagalelei

Clemson’s offense surprisingly bottomed out in 2021, averaging 24.5 points a game and 5.3 yards per play in ACC contests. High expectations surrounded Uiagalelei after strong performances against Boston College and Notre Dame in ’20, but he connected on 55.6 percent of his throws for 2,246 yards and just nine touchdowns.
Key Spring Storylines: Getting the offense back on track is priority No. 1 for Clemson this spring. Uiagalelei isn’t to blame for all of the problems last year, but he has to play better. If he doesn’t, true freshman Cade Klubnik will get a shot under center.

Related: College Football's Top 10 True Freshmen Quarterbacks to Watch in 2022

Florida State

Projected 2022 Starter: Jordan Travis

Travis has showed marked improvement under coach Mike Norvell. In the four games where Travis didn’t start last year, Florida State managed only 17 points a contest. In the other eight, the Seminoles averaged 29.1. The Florida native threw for 1,539 yards and 15 touchdowns and added 535 yards and seven scores on the ground.
Key Spring Storylines: Travis should be in the mix for All-ACC honors this year. Also, depth behind him has improved with the arrival of true freshman AJ Duffy.

Louisville

Projected 2022 Starter: Malik Cunningham

The Cardinals are set at quarterback with Cunningham returning after a prolific ’21 season. The Alabama native threw for 2,941 yards and 19 touchdowns to six picks and ran for 1,034 yards and 20 scores. Cunningham’s 1,034 rushing yards were the most by a quarterback in ’21, while his 305.8 total yards a game ranked 14th nationally.
Key Spring Storylines: Not much. Cunningham ranks among the ACC’s top quarterbacks for ’22, and Evan Conley returns as the backup.

NC State

Projected 2022 Starter: Devin Leary

Leary’s 2021 season largely went under the radar, but his emergence is a big reason why NC State can contend for the ACC title in ’22. The New Jersey native totaled 3,433 passing yards and 35 touchdowns to just five picks in 12 games. Also, his quarterback rating in ACC games was good enough (163.1) for second in the conference.
Key Spring Storylines: NC State has to patch a few concerns up front and replace its top two running backs, but all signs point to another big season from Leary.

Syracuse

Projected 2022 Starter: Garrett Shrader

Shrader took over the starting job in the fourth game of 2021 and never relinquished the No. 1 spot. The Mississippi State transfer was inconsistent through the air (52.6 percent) and posted four starts under 100 passing yards. However, Shrader’s value came on the ground, as he ran for 781 yards and 14 scores.
Key Spring Storylines: New play-caller Robert Anae should be a good fit for Shrader’s skill set. Although the North Carolina native needs to show improvement through the air, he should be set as the No. 1 quarterback going into ’22. Michigan transfer Dan Villari should work as the No. 2 option.

Sapakoff: Mismanaged ACC badly misreads the College Football Playoff room (P&C; Sapakoff)

“The customer is always right. Always!”

Mr. Swackhammer, “Space Jam”

The shrewd Danny DeVito-voiceover guy running the Moron Mountain amusement park was relentlessly in search of “new attractions.” He knew his way around the hyper-competitive entertainment biz.

Meanwhile, a mountain of morons on committees and Zoom calls can’t make fan outcry and industry demand add up to an expanded College Football Playoff without taking another four years to quibble. The announcement that the CFP won’t discuss expansion again until the current contract expires after the 2025 season is dangerous for a sport leaking interest.

It’s mind-boggling for frustrated fans.

In this real-life Looney Tunes sequel, the ACC is the cartoonish evil goofball. While the Pac-12 and Big Ten joined the ACC as dissenters in an 8-3 vote against expanding the playoff from the four-team format in place since 2014 to 12 teams, zany ACC logic stands out.

It’s bad enough that CFP rules demand a unanimous vote.

But worse that inexperienced ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips was out front in January saying a playoff expansion vote shouldn’t come until college athletics managers have figured out a new governance system and policy for the transfer portal and name, image and likeness deals.

Never mind that students at the ACC’s prestigious institutions are tasked with more multi-tasking than Phillips on a daily basis.

Surely, there are sophomores at Duke, Boston College and Clemson willing to help crack this not-so-complicated code.

That the ACC is holding up an estimated $450 million in added revenue is less egregious than strangling interest in a sport that desperately needs a truly national tournament.

Perhaps ACC leaders think it’s fine to wait four years for an expanded playoff, that such a delay will coincide with newly hired head coaches Mario Cristobal at Miami and Tony Elliott at Virginia getting their programs ready for prime-time.

Or maybe ACC Inc. believes 2021 was as much an aberration as a Cheez-It tray at the country club and still thinks Clemson is an annual lock to make a four-team playoff.

Links, News, and Rumors - 2/22/22 (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors - 2/22/22

Yep, today is 2/22/22... the last time you'll be able to represent the date with a single digit for a LONG time (i.e. until 3/3/33)!

From SaturdayBlitz: 5 college football programs that will make surprise playoff push in 2022

#4. Miami Hurricanes (2021 record: 7-5)

Miami has been somewhat of a dumpster fire for a few years. The Hurricanes were expected to have a decent bounce-back under Manny Diaz in 2021 but they couldn’t seem to conjure any momentum and limped to a 7-5 record... but Tyler Van Dyke showed plenty of promise and I could see him having an All-ACC type season at quarterback. Cristobal takes over an impressive roster with plenty of talent and he also brings in the No. 15 recruiting class in the country as well as a handful of instant-impact transfers. This team could win a wide-open ACC this season and make a surprise playoff push.

I'll give my thoughts on the Hurricanes soon (still working on it).

Rx to Increase TV revenue - SP (RX; HM)

Rx to Increase TV revenue - SP

From CSNBBS: How can the ACC increase TV revenue?

Pitt fan "Shannon Panther" says:

This is easy. If you look at the B1G and SEC, you see 2 differences between them and the other 3 leagues.
1. They consistently have 2-3 elite teams every year. The ACC, BigXII, and Pac12 all usually have one or none. If Miami can raise back to their previous heights and Clemson can maintain that would give the ACC 2 elites annually. FSU also has been here before. If we could get 3, that would be punching above our weight.
2. Here is where the ACC really struggles. 3-5 teams who are consistently very good, with an occasional foray into the Elite. Last season, Pitt and Wake were both very good but neither could rise to elite. NC State was also very good but the early loss at MS State impacted that perception. Pitt, Wake, VT, NC State, UNC, GT, Cuse, BC, Louisville, and UVA all have potential to get here. These teams don't all need to be here every season, but 3-5 need to be here every season. In reality Duke is the only program that can't get here regularly. They need to bump up for 1-3 year stretches without the winless campaigns.

Other

National gaming company announces deal to buy del Lago casino in the Finger Lakes (PS; Cazentre)

For the second time since it opened in 2017, del Lago Resort & Casino in the Finger Lakes is undergoing a major change in ownership.

Louisville, Ky.-based Churchill Downs Inc. announced today that del Lago is part of its $2.5 billion acquisition of gaming facilities in New York, Virginia and Iowa currently owned by Peninsula Pacific LLC of California.

Peninsula Pacific was an original 50% owner of the casino near the Waterloo exit of the New York State Thruway. In 2019, Peninsula Pacific bought out the other 50% shareholder, Rochester developer Thomas Wilmot and his company, Wilmorite.

Wilmot had been the principal figure in the effort to bring one of the state’s commercial casinos to the region, first attempting to place it in Rochester and later settling on the Finger Lakes.

Del Lago is one of four commercial full-service or “Vegas-style” casinos allowed to operate in areas of Upstate New York not covered by gaming compact with Indian tribes. The others are Resorts World Catskills near Monticello in Sullivan County, Rivers Casino & Resort in Schenectady and Tioga Downs west of Binghamton in the Southern Tier.

They compete with seven full-service casinos operated in Upstate New York by the Oneida, Seneca and Akwesasne Mohawk nations, along with smaller gaming facilities like racinos.

The del Lago acquisition comes as New York state considers accelerating the opening of up to three full service casinos in the New York City area. Some experts say casinos in and around the city could undermine the profitability of the Upstate casinos.

Last edited:
RE "Rx to Increase TV revenue": when do you guys think 'Cuse football will be ready to step up to the "consistently very good" level? I'm not getting any younger here! (and yes, I know I live in a glass house right now - VT is already taking steps to fix that!)

RE "Rx to Increase TV revenue": when do you guys think 'Cuse football will be ready to step up to the "consistently very good" level? I'm not getting any younger here! (and yes, I know I live in a glass house right now - VT is already taking steps to fix that!)
Mark, Cuse needs to get over the hump without the fans, first. Sadly, our fanbase is not as loyal as yours after 20 years of subpar play. If we string together a couple bowl seasons the bandwagon will heat back up. Cuse's position now in a post NIL world seems destined to middling P5. With the TV money starting to separate every school, even the ACC has to figure out new ways to win. Cuse will be a developmental program and take kids who want to play on the east coast or think a private education is worthwhile. With the right coaches it can be done. 2022 is such a huge year for Cuse.