Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-banana-day-grunge-rubber-stamp-national-banana-day-grunge-rubber-stamp-white-background-vector-illustration-177899148.jpg
Welcome to National Banana Day!

National Banana Day is centered in Ireland, where it was first celebrated in 2017. It is promoted by Fyffes, a fresh produce and fruit importing company, and has been acknowledged by other fruit companies such as Dole Food Company and Chiquita Brands International. It supports a national drive to encourage healthy eating, especially for children, and reminds shoppers to think of bananas as a nutritious and natural food that they can add to meals or eat as convenience food. It also highlights how the banana is fun and versatile.

The banana is the most popular fruit in the United States and around the world. The average person eats about 100 of them a year, which comes out to about 25 to 33 pounds worth. They are the cheapest fruit and are also one of the most perishable. They may appear to grow on trees, but they actually grow on plants that have 10 to 20 feet high trunks. The banana plant is an herb—the largest herb plant, actually—and bananas are its fruit. The plant grows in the tropics.

SU News

Jaylen McClain Recaps Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted one of its top targets in the 2024 class in elite West Orange (NJ) Seton Hall Prep cornerback Jaylen McClain on Tuesday. It was a return trip for McClain, who checked out an Orange game day last fall.

"It went well," McClain said. "I got a facility tour and campus tour. I got to talk to coach Monroe, coach White and coach Babers. My favorite part was seeing the apartments because they were really nice and if I was to go there, that's where I will be living. So that's important. The apartments were really big and everyone had their own bathroom, which shows the university cares about privacy. I like how all the football players stay together too."

Going into the visit, McClain said he wanted to check out the campus and the facilities. He was able to do that.

"I like the campus and facilities," McClain said. "I like how everything is close together so you won't have to go too far to get to your destination."

McClain spent time with his lead recruiter Nick Monroe on the visit.

"I like coach Monroe," McClain said. "He's a cool guy and wants to make sure while you are playing football you have to make sure you are having fun doing it while getting work done on the field."

Davion Coffee's Interest in Syracuse 'Through the Roof' Following Visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 athlete Davion Coffee attends St. Pius X in California. The versatile talent can play linebacker, defensive back, running back and wide receiver. He took a trip to Syracuse recently for an unofficial visit.

"They wanted to get our measurements, got a couple of the coaches phone numbers," Coffee said. "One of the coaches is going to fly out here to Los Angeles to see me next month. I love interacting with the coaching staff, picking their brains about defense. Wanted to know what defense they will run on certain situations, how to utilize their linebackers and rovers. The most exciting thing about the trip was getting to see how I look in the Orange and blue, and I look pretty good. I'm a competitor and I want to win so bad every time I play. So I just wanted to know what defense they would run in a two minute situation if we're up by six, the other team needs a touchdown and it's third down and six. Knowing they have two plays to get the first down, how would they utilize me to make a big time play."

The 6-0, 210 pounder spent some time with members of the Orange coaching staff.

Brady Shaffer: 'There is Something Very Special Being Surrounded by Everything Syracuse' (SI; McAllister)

Brady Shaffer may be playing his high school football for Palm Harbor University High School in Florida, but the class of 2024 quarterback is a Rochester native. He was recently on the Syracuse campus for a visit to get a closer look at the only power five program in New York.

"It was great to be on campus and meet with the coaches," Shaffer said. "Syracuse is a special place. I look forward to going back soon."

During the visit, Shaffer was able to accomplish a lot despite being on campus for just one day.

"After we met coach Babers, Beck, Ahmad, Johnson and Schmidt, we toured the campus and football facilities," Shaffer said. "Lastly, we tried on the uniform and helmet for pictures. The best part was meeting the coaches, talking with them and starting to develop a relationship. I believe that is an important part to a successful program."

A big highlight of the trip was spending time with the Syracuse coaches.

"Coach Beck stated the offense is developed around the quarterback's strengths," Shaffer said. "I liked hearing that the QB position is not fit to a mold and are able to play to their strengths. Coach Ahmad spoke about what a typical day of a Syracuse football player looked like. There was small talk. I left feeling like the coaches cared."

Opponent Analysis: Purdue Boilermakers — 2022 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Sears)

The Purdue Boilermakers had a record-setting year in 2022. Their passing offense was ranked fifth in the nation with 355.3 yards per game, they had a top-50 ranked defense, they beat two top-five AP ranked teams, got a top-25 ranking for the first time in 14 years, and won a bowl game in wild fashion to top off the year. Not bad for a team that was projected to win only six or seven games at best.

QUARTERBACK POSITION IN GOOD HANDS

Aidan O’Connell started the year as a backup but took over full playing duties just before midseason, and caught fire from there. In 12 games, including the TransPerfect Music City Bowl, AOC threw for 3712 yards, 28 touchdowns, and 11 picks. Tall and strong with a big arm, he was the perfect QB for coach Jeff Brohm’s aggressive passing system with at least 30 attempts in every one of his nine starts.

Perhaps the best aspect of O’Connell’s game is his ability to lift his play for the biggest games. He threw for 375 yards and two touchdowns, adding another score on the ground to give Purdue it’s season-changing win over then-No. 2 ranked Iowa. He added another incredible performance over then-No. 3 Michigan State, throwing for 536 yards and 3 touchdowns, before capping the year off with a 534 yard, five touchdown masterpiece against Tennessee in the Music City Bowl.

It’s safe to say AOC will start at the beginning of the year, but it’s important to note that Purdue has depth at the position thanks to incoming consensus four star recruit Brady Allen, Indiana’s Mr.Football in 2021 and a MaxPreps All-American.

KEY PLAYERS MOVING ON

One area of concern going into next year is the departure of some key players, namely defensive end George Karlaftis and linebacker Jaylan Alexander on defense, and wide receiver David Bell on offense.

Karlaftis and Bell will likely be going on day one and two, respectively, while Alexander is likely a late day two, early day three type of player. The two defenders will surely be missed however as Karlaftis demanded the kind of attention that freed up other players to have career years, including the tackle machine Alexander.

The good news is nearly the entire rest of the defense is returning, and one new player who shows good promise- George’s younger brother Yanni Karlaftis, a 6’3” 230 pound outside linebacker is a consensus four star recruit in his own right.

Given that the coaching staff is staying intact as well, it’s safe to assume the defense will pick up where it left off, especially when considering the next topic- their schedule.

BENEFICIAL SCHEDULE AS IT STANDS TODAY

The Boilermakers faced a daunting schedule last year and responded by knocking off some of their biggest challengers, the already mentioned upsets over Iowa, Michigan State, and in-state rival Indiana. There were some tough losses as well though, like the 59-31 beatdown from Ohio State, and a 30-13 drubbing from Wisconsin just as Purdue had gotten their top-25 ranking.

The schedule this year seems to be much easier on the surface however. This year’s Boilermaker’s won’t have to face Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, or Notre Dame as they did last year. While they won’t be beating up on UConn again, games against Penn State and Florida Atlantic are very winnable.

With consistency in the offense, coaching staff, and defense- even absent some key players on both sides- it’s easy to imagine Purdue winning seven or even eight games again this year due to an easier schedule and the momentum.

Orange Watch: From Carrier to JMA Wireless Dome for Syracuse - The Juice Online (the juice; Bierman)

Item: With a formal announcement expected in the coming weeks from Syracuse University, the athletic department has found a new revenue source by moving on from its 40 years plus relationship with Carrier Global Corp., and partnering with Syracuse-based technology company JMA Wireless in a naming rights deal for the Dome, and to enhance the wi-fi service inside the building.

What a difference a day makes.

Just last Thursday we were spotlighting the latest and greatest seating improvements at the Carrier Dome.

A day later came the news, first reported by Sportico, that the university had reached a financial settlement with Carrier to terminate the original and perpetual money-losing branding arrangement with the company, and negotiate a new deal with JMA Wireless.

It’s a game-changer for the school about to enter its 10th season in the ACC, one that should command an industry-estimated $3M plus in annual revenue.

Just as importantly the move will provide an economic solution to enhance the building’s wireless technology, a perennial on-going issue with inadequate connectivity speeds for both spectators using their mobile devices, and those working on gamedays utilizing computers.

The history of the Carrier name associated with the Dome takes one back to a different late 1970s era in central New York. The university desperately needed a cash infusion to stem the tide of rising interest rates to borrow money, and financing for the project had to be secured to keep the building’s construction schedule on time for a September 1980 opening.

By early 1979, the university was allocating money ($6.5M) from its own major fundraising plan to add campus buildings and curriculum programs, while seeking to finalize a commitment from New York State ($16M) to keep pace with the increased costs to build the structure.

An ongoing pitch went out to private businesses and individual donors to meet the final price tag pegged at close to $27M.

In February 1979, some three months removed from SU playing its final football game at Archbold Stadium, and with plans to play the entire 1979 football season outside of Syracuse, chancellor Melvin Eggers held a press conference at Drumlins Country Club.

Carrier Corporation chairman Melvin Holm had agreed to provide $2.75M towards the financial goal, announced Eggers, which not only answered the school’s financial plea, but served as a way for Holm to reassure the community that the Syracuse-area’s largest employer was committed to staying in the region.

Eggers was so enthralled with Carrier’s commitment he gifted the company the rights to attach its name to the building, thus – the Carrier Dome. It was the first-of-its-kind arrangement with a college sports facility in 1979, but one that had aged rapidly just a decade later.

It’s also a deal that the university has been trying to untangle in earnest the last three years when the name “Carrier Dome” started to be omitted from individual sport’s media guides and press releases, but remained on the building’s exterior wall and in view of TV cameras on and around the playing surfaces in order to avoid contractual violations.

The name change has now been accomplished. Welcome to the JMA Wireless Dome era of Syracuse athletics.

(youtube.com; Joshua)

Syracuse football predictions: Joshua says 7-5

New Syracuse stadium name means we need new nicknames (TNIAAM; Wall)

Since Friday’s announcement that the Syracuse Orange would no longer play in the Carrier Dome, some fans haven’t taken the news well. We know that change can be hard for many and we’re here to help...though if you are against one corporate name shouldn’t you still be referring to the place where Syracuse plays as Archbold?

Just because a different name will appear in the game notes and opening graphics packages, you can still call it “The Dome” but if that feels awkward then let’s run through more possibilities.

Now we don’t know the exact way the naming will occur. Is JMA Wireless Stadium? JMA Wireless Dome? JMA Wireless 5G Sporting Venue? Let’s just go with JMA Wireless Stadium since Syracuse has been trying to make Stadium a thing for a while. The JMA Wireless website gives us this to start with:

A disruptive force in the wireless industry, JMA Wireless is restoring U.S. leadership in wireless technology at a critical time in the transition to 5G.
Disruptive force kind of sounds like Mikel Jones and the Syracuse Orange defense doesn’t it? We could roll with “The Disruptive Dome” on Fall Fridays and Saturdays when the Orange are looking to create havoc for opposing offenses. We could see the marketing folks trying to push some corporate synergy with this one.

NCAA Football: Albany at Syracuse
Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports
When hoops season rolls around we’ll be hearing a lot of “Jams at the JMA” or “Cuse jams in the JMA”. Still feels forced and kind of stretched despite those Dads pulling up their cargo pants and chuckling about their connectivity puns. Now if we want a crowd-rallying dunk to be a “Dome Disruptor” there’s some bandwidth available to explore.

How about individual NIL deals?

You must now refer to him as Joe Girard V or J5G for short.
— NunesMagician.com (@NunesMagician) April 15, 2022

That #5 jersey is now available Joe so maybe think about it and cash in while Buddy is out of the picture. Perhaps JMA would be willing to name one of their antennas “The Rhino” because it clears the way for fast, efficient delivery? We think Sean Tucker would be pleased by that development.

NECEXL6DTRAXRH5MKWHTCW52XM.jpeg

In this Sept. 5, 2019, file photo, NBC sportscaster Mike Tirico works the sidelines during an NFL football game between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears in Chicago. (AP Photo/Jeff Haynes, File)

Syracuse alum Mike Tirico taking over ‘Sunday Night Football’ play-by-play (PS; Herbert)

Syracuse University alumnus Mike Tirico is taking over play-by-play coverage for “Sunday Night Football.”

NBC Sports officially announced its “SNF” team Tuesday, confirming Tirico will call NFL games for primetime television’s top-rated program. He’ll join Cris Collinsworth in the booth with Melissa Stark on the sidelines.

Tirico replaces Al Michaels, who is leaving NBC after 15 years to join Amazon’s “Thursday Night Football” coverage. Tirico reportedly told Richard Deitsch on his Sports Media Podcast in February that “SNF” would be “a lifetime opportunity for me.”

“I’ve done a decade of prime-time NFL. I’ve done 200 NFL games. It was part of the reason I came to NBC. So I would hope so at this point, right?” he said of speculation about the gig at the time. “It would be a thrill… it’s something I would be excited to be a part of. I’ve enjoyed doing five games each of the last two years with Cris. That’s been a great experience for me as well.”

Tirico previously did “Monday Night Football” play-by-play for ESPN before joining NBC Sports in 2016. He’s since called 21 NFL games with Collinsworth and hosted “Football Night in America,” plus covered the Super Bowl, Olympics, U.S. Open, Notre Dame college football, Triple Crown horse racing, the Stanley Cup, and the Indianapolis 500.

Miami football sixth in USA Today spring ACC Power Rankings (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The Miami football program has always been one of the most polarizing nationally. Expectations for Miami in the inaugural season under Mario Cristobal have varied nationally. USA Today in its ACC spring football power rankings has Miami sixth. Other outlets including 247 Sports expect a much better season for the Hurricanes.

Miami quarterbacks led by returning starter Tyler Van Dyke were efficient in the spring game. Thad Franklin and Henry Parrish who were the only healthy scholarship running backs in the Miami spring were also productive. It has been widely reported that Miami football players received more hands-on coaching this spring.

Miami will be tested this season with games at Texas A&M on September 17 and Clemson on November 19. Van Dyke returning at QB sets a good foundation for Miami in the inaugural season under Cristobal. Paul Myerberg of USA Today has Miami third in the ACC Coastal behind Pittsburgh and North Carolina.

Myerberg ranks North Carolina third and defending ACC Champion Pittsburgh fifth overall in the conference. Each ACC team was ranked from one through 14 with Myerberg summarizing all of the teams in the conference. Miami finished fifth in the ACC during the 2021 season with a 5-3 record.

6. Miami (7-5)
“Mario Cristobal won’t reverse Miami’s direction from the start, though his focus on recruiting, development and an embrace of the program’s long-dormant swagger seems like the perfect recipe for the Hurricanes. Sophomore quarterback Tyler Van Dyke is the face of the team after a superb rookie year, and rightfully so.
But the Hurricanes will contend for the conference championship game only if the pass rush and overall team tackling is far better than in 2021.”
Cristobal and his staff have already upgraded the recruiting and development for the Miami football program. The swagger for the Miami football program will happen if Cristobal can lead Miami to win consistently and contend for ACC Coastal Division and conference championships.

Cristobal added help for the pass rush during the offseason. Miami signed four-star edge rushers Nyjalik Kelly and Cyrus Moss and added Mitchell Agude as a transfer from UCLA. New co-defensive coordinators Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong have been working on the tackling for Miami this spring.

Ranking the ACC's best quarterbacks of 2022 - Stay Alive In Power 5 (stayalinveinpower5.com; Harrington)

Spring ball is in the books for 13 of the 14 teams, and from top to bottom, the ACC has the best collection of quarterbacks of any Power Five conference in 2022.

From pocket passers, to dual-threat signal-callers, the league has it all and offenses will be fun to watch this fall. These 14 gunslingers are poised to lead their teams this fall in a conference drenched with parity. The season is less than five months away and these programs are all ready to change the narrative that the ACC is a basketball-only league.

14. Jeff Sims, Georgia Tech: The former four-star prospect has two years worth of starting experience with the Yellow Jackets. Sims is a dangerous dual-threat, but has to cut down on the costly turnovers. The Florida native has thrown for 3,349 yards, 25 touchdowns during his time behind center. However, Sims has been picked off 20 times. His dangerous mobility helps him extend plays, and he has stockpiled 864 yards on the ground, to go along with 10 rushing scores. Although Sims has a ton of production and experience, he still struggles with consistency. Not to mention Sims has to learn a new offense without Jahmyr Gibbs around. Georgia Tech’s spring game indicated there’ll be growing pains.

13. Riley Leonard, Duke: For the first time since 2007, the Blue Devils won’t have David Cutcliffe patrolling the sidelines. Not to mention last year’s starter Gunnar Holmberg is no longer on the roster. Which is why new coach Mike Elko had Leonard and Jordan Moore battling throughout the spring. Leonard looked promising in the Blue and White Game last Saturday. The former three-star prospect completed 17 of his 27 passes for one touchdown and an interception. Moore displayed great mobility, but struggled throwing the ball. Last season as a true freshman, Leonard saw some ACC action and completed all 13 of his throws for 99 yards against Miami. His only touchdown pass was at Virginia Tech.

12. DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson: The former five-star prospect was supposed to be heir apparent to Trevor Lawrence. However, life after the legend wasn’t pretty for Clemson’s offense in 2021. Uiagalelei threw for 2,245 yards, nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions in his first season as a full-time starter. It was also the first time since 2014 that the Tigers failed to clinch the Atlantic division. However, Uiagalelei shredded some pound over the past three months and looked physically fit for the spring game. He completed 10 of his 24 passes for 116 yards in the first half in the event and didn’t look much improved. Now he’s going to be in a heated battle with freshman Kade Klubink in fall camp.

11. Grant Wells, Virginia Tech: He was an immediate upgrade to the Hokies’ offense because of his production, experience and leadership. Wells threw for 5,626 yards, 34 touchdowns and 22 interceptions over the past two seasons at Marshall. Not to mention he had nine rushing scores during that span, and led the Thundering Herd to back-to-back winning campaigns. The former three-star prospect had a promising performance in the Hokies’ spring game last Saturday, and displayed surprising mobility. Wells also threw two long touchdown passes, and led the offense on three scoring drives in the first quarter of the contest. Jason Brown is competing for the job too, but Wells is the better fit.

10. Jacolby Criswell, North Carolina: The Arkansas native served as Sam Howell’s backup for the past two seasons. Now Criswell is finally getting an opportunity to replace the record-breaking gunslinger and lead Phil Longo’s explosive offense. The former four-star prospect looked magnificent in the Tar Heels’ spring game. He showed off his accurate arm and threw two touchdowns in the first half of the contest. North Carolina has two other capable starters in Drake Maye and Conner Harrell, who both had solid performances in the spring game. Criswell seems to have the most chemistry with his pass catchers though. He’ll be throwing to Josh Downs, who’s arguably the best receiver in the ACC.

9. Jordan Travis, Florida State: The former three-star prospect has thrown for 2,595 yards, 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions over the past two seasons. Travis proved to be deadly with his legs during that span, with 1,099 yards on the ground, to go along with 14 rushing scores. The six-foot-one, 201-pounder looked decent in the Garnet and Gold game, plus he added muscle mass to his frame during the offseason. Travis had some rough outings in 2021, including three interceptions against Notre Dame. However, he had some bright spots, including five touchdowns in the the victory at North Carolina. Travis doesn’t have to split snaps with McKenzie Milton this fall, so his numbers should improve.

8. Garrett Shrader, Syracuse: Although he didn’t play in the spring game because of a hamstring injury, Shrader still put together a solid campaign in 2021. He’s a decent passer with breathtaking mobility. So much so that Schrader stockpiled 14 rushing scores last season. Shrader rumbled for 137 yards and three touchdowns on the ground at Florida State. The following week Shrader rushed for a season-high, 178 yards against Wake Forest. He racked up 410 total yards and scored five touchdowns in the victory over Virginia Tech. The North Carolina native could potentially be one of the best quarterbacks in the league when he returns. Meanwhile Justin Lamson has looked good in his absence.

7. Phil Jurkovec, Boston College: Eagle fans believe he has the potential to be the program’s best gunslinger since Matt Ryan. Jurkovec just needs to stay healthy though. The Pennsylvania native sat two seasons behind Ian Book at Notre Dame before coming to Chestnut Hill. Over the past two years Jurkovec has thrown for 3,472 yards, 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions. His numbers were down in 2021, due to an injured right wrist. The former four-star prospect will also be operating behind a young and inexperienced offensive line this fall, plus the Eagles have a new Offensive Coordinator. Having star wideout Zay Flowers back should help Jurkovec, and he looked solid in the spring game.

6. Kedon Slovis, Pittsburgh: The reigning ACC Champs landed a gem out of the transfer portal to replace the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award winner. Although Offensive Coordinator Mark Whipple left for Nebraska, Pittsburgh still has weapons for Slovis to operate with, including the Biletnikoff Award winner in Jordan Addison. Solvis played the past three seasons at USC, where he was named the league’s Freshman Offensive Player of the Year in 2019, and earned first-team, All-Pac-12 honors in 2020. Not to mention he threw for 7,576 yards, 58 touchdowns and 24 interceptions during that span. Slovis competed with senior Nick Patti over the spring, but has yet to secure the job.

5. Malik Cunningham, Louisville: Some Louisville fans believe he’s a poor man’s Lamar Jackson, but there’s no denying the signal-caller is the program’s best since the Heisman Trophy winner. Cunningham is arguably the nation’s best dual-threat quarterback. His numbers back that up too. Cunningham has thrown for 7,619 yards, 61 touchdowns and 23 interceptions over the past three seasons. The Alabama native rumbled for 2,122 yards on the ground, to go along with 33 rushing scores during that span. However, Coach Scott Satterfield wants Cunningham to stay in the pocket more and find open targets on the underneath routes. He threw a nice 12-yard touchdown to Jalen Mitchell in the spring game.

4. Tyler Van Dyke, Miami: The former four-star prospect took over for the injured D’Eriq King last season, and the rest is history. Van Dyke finished the year with 2,931 yards, 25 touchdowns tosses and six interceptions. The Connecticut native threw for four touchdowns against Florida State. He had three touchdown passes apiece against Central Connecticut, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Duke. Although he threw three interceptions in the loss at North Carolina, he bounced back the following week with four touchdown passes in the win over NC State. Van Dyke threw for a career-high, 426 yards in the victory over Pittsburgh. His performance in the spring game was very impressive too.

3. Brennan Armstrong, Virginia: He broke the program’s single-season record for passing yards and touchdown tosses in 2021. Not only did Armstrong finish the season with third-team, All-ACC honors, but he also led the league in passing yards. The former three-star prospect threw for a season-high, five touchdowns in the win over Illinois. Armstrong had a career day against North Carolina, when he threw for 554 yards, which was a single-game school record. The Ohio native had over 400 yards passing against Louisville, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. Armstrong’s mobility is lethal too. New Coach Tony Elliott inherits one of the best gunslingers in the country, which should help with the transition.

2. Sam Hartman, Wake Forest: Anytime a player scores 50 touchdowns in one season, it’s a big deal. Hartman put up video game numbers and led the Demon Deacons to an 11-win campaign last season. Hartman’s 4,228 yards through the air and 39 touchdown passes, were both single-season school records. Not only is Hartman the Demon Deacons’ active career leader in passing touchdowns, but he also earned second-team, All ACC honors. Hartman averaged 302 passing yards per game, which ranked third in the league. Having wideouts A.T. Perry and Taylor Morin back will do wonders for Hartman. The duo combined for 114 receptions, 1,914 receiving yards and 20 touchdown catches in 2021.

1. Devin Leary, NC State: Last year the New Jersey native broke Phillip Rivers’ 18-year old school record for passing yards in a single season. Leary’s 35 touchdown passes ranked third in the ACC and tenth in the FBS. He averaged 286 passing yards per game, which ranked 15th in the country. Leary was also No. 19 in the FBS in passing efficiency. The six-foot-one, 215-pounder threw for a season-high, 408 yards and four touchdowns against Wake Forest. Leary also passed for four touchdowns apiece in victories over Clemson, Louisville, Florida State and North Carolina. The former four-star prospect picked up where he left off in the Wolfpack’s spring game and dazzled the crowd with his throws.

Introducing Fortuna’s Cover 4: ACC decision coming soon and Big 12 needs commissioner (theathletic.com; $; Fortuna)

1. ACC relocation expected soon
The ACC is expected to decide on its new home base by the end of the month, sources told us. It will be the final move of a multi-phase process that started early in 2021.

The conference has been based in Greensboro, N.C., since its founding in 1953. And though the city has put up a compelling fight to keep the ACC from leaving, a move to a more practical locale simply makes too much sense.

Though no location has been shared with league membership, a relocation to Charlotte would fit the bill for a variety of reasons, most notably because of the Queen City’s accessibility.

When the ACC’s board of directors announced in October that it was expanding its evaluation beyond Greensboro, the league’s listed criteria included, among other targets, being in the Eastern time zone, having a growing and diverse population, and “access to a large hub airport with effective accessibility to and from all ACC member schools.”

Let’s not overthink this one, right?

Greensboro has more than served its purpose for nearly 70 years. There is a collegial feel whenever schools travel there for conference basketball tournaments. But this isn’t the Big East and Madison Square Garden we’re talking about here when it comes to nostalgia. No place is.

As much as some folks in the ACC didn’t love the idea of taking a backseat to another conference while it played its men’s basketball tournament in Brooklyn this year, that situation is not unique.

Other

T55SLCYD6RGRBEYOJNFGFQRZTM.jpg

The Amazon distribution center in Clay will be one of the largest warehouses. It is scheduled to open May 1, 2022. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

Amazon warehouse opening in Clay is delayed again; here’s the new date (PS; $; Moriarty)

Amazon has postponed the opening of its huge distribution center in Clay for the fourth time.

The $350 million center, one of the largest warehouses in the world, was supposed to open yesterday. But Verena Gross, a spokesperson for the online retailer, said in an email to syracuse.com | The Post-Standard that continuing supply chain issues prevented the opening.

The center is now scheduled to open May 1, with a ribbon-cutting expected to be held in June, Gross said.

“We have adjusted our timeline by a few weeks due to continued supply chain issues, but will be operational on May 1 with hiring already started at our new fulfillment center,” she said.

Construction began on the 3.8-million-square-foot, five-story building at the former site of the Liverpool Golf & Country Club in early 2020. At the time, Amazon said it expected to open the center in the fall of 2021.

Then the company said the center would open by the end of 2021. That did not happen, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom