Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
d-day-074.jpg
Welcome to D-Day

Beginning in the spring of 1940, in the midst of World War II, Nazi Germany started occupying the northern part of France. They gained complete control of the area in May, when the British evacuated Dunkirk, a coastal city, during the Battle of France. But the Allies always hoped to return. In 1942, the United States and Britain began thinking about an invasion across the English Channel. Hitler, anticipating an invasion somewhere—although he did not know exactly where—put Erwin Rommel in charge of defense of a large swath of coastal areas and in charge of the creation of an Atlantic Wall, which consisted of fortifications of bunkers, landmines, and other beach and water obstacles.

The Allies codenamed their amphibious invasion of Normandy "Operation Overlord," and placed Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower in charge of it in January 1944. The invasion became known as D-Day, and its implementation would prove to be the start of the end of the war. The more obvious choice for the invasion was Pas de Calais, the spot with the shortest distance between Britain and Continental Europe. In fact, a deception campaign prior to D-Day made the Germans think that Pas de Calais—as well as Norway and some other locations—would be areas of invasion. Deception tactics included the use of fake equipment, George S. Patton's phantom army—which was supposedly stationed across from Pas de Calais, fraudulent radio transmissions, and double agents. The beaches of Normandy were chosen instead because they were less heavily defended than Pas de Calais, but were still within air cover.

SU News

1st wave of Syracuse football summer enrollees includes transfer WR D'Marcus Adams, DB Isaiah Johnson (247sports.com; Bailey)

Syracuse football has officially added six of its Class of 2022 recruits in its first wave of summer enrollees. That group includes Florida Atlantic transfer wide receiver D'Marcus Adams and Dartmouth transfer defensive back Isaiah Johnson as well as four high school signees: linebacker Kadin Bailey, defensive lineman Belizaire Bassette, as well as defensive backs Greg Delaine and Quan Peterson.

The Orange now has three signees yet to enroll in offensive linemen Chad Schuster and Joe Cruz as well as defensive lineman Kevin Jobity Jr. Former Florida quarterback Carlos Del Rio-Wilson is the lone transfer commitment yet to arrive on campus.

The 6-foot, 180-pound Adams is a fifth-year redshirt junior, meaning he has two years left to use his remaining two seasons of eligibility. He logged all three of his career receptions last fall, totaling 94 yards. He also returned 10 kickoffs for the Owls, averaging 23.6 yards per attempt while overlapping with new Orange outside receivers coach Michael Johnson Sr. for that one season.

Syracuse Football: Analyst predictions in Orange’s direction for 3-star OL (itlh; Adler)

Later this month, consensus three-star offensive lineman Eric King from New Jersey is expected to make an official visit to Syracuse football.

Ahead of that trip, the Orange is getting some analyst “buzz” for the 6-foot-3, 300-pound King on various recruiting Web sites. As I always like to say, take these sorts of prognostications with the proverbial grain of salt.

That being said, it can’t be a bad thing for the ‘Cuse, which seems to be in a good position with King, a 2023 prospect and one of the top offensive linemen in the Northeast region.

As of Friday evening, I counted at least four projections in the Orange’s direction for King between the 247Sports Web site and https://n./content/prospects/2023/eric-king-270628.

Additionally, under his bio on the On3 Web site, that recruiting service’s “recruiting prediction machine” was heavily favoring the ‘Cuse for King, who is a rising senior at the Saint Peter’s Preparatory School in Jersey City, N.J.

Syracuse football will soon welcome three-star offensive lineman Eric King to the Hill.

Per recruiting services, the Orange coaching staff offered a scholarship to King in January of 2021.

He recently said via Twitter that he would travel to Central New York for an official visit from June 24 to June 26.

Visit Increases Kenny Woseley's Interest in Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

One of the top players in the entire 2024 class regardless of position in Philadelphia (PA) Imhotep defensive back Kenny Woseley. Woseley holds offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Wisconsin, among others. The 6-0, 170 pounder spent Sunday on the Syracuse campus for an unofficial visit.

"We toured the athletics facilities, photoshoot, (toured) campus, and the dorms the players stay in," Woseley said. "I feel like the whole visit was actually good and equal because as the visit went about, I gained more and more knowledge about the university's tradition and history."

Woseley also spent time with members of the Orange football staff.

"I was with coach Mike Johnson and coach Khalil all day," Woseley said. "Their message to me was that they are doing the best they can to get more dogs from South Jersey, Philly area because if you look at the time they were dominant, they had multiple guys from both areas playing for them."

While Woseley was impressed by Syracuse's football facilities and campus, he also took note of the work being done to enhance both by the time he would arrive should he pick the Orange.

"The facilities are nice," Woseley said. "There's a lot of construction being and done and by the time the 2024 class graduates, the facilities will be totally different. Going around campus, I think what stood out the most is how the outside of some of the buildings still have an old type of look but inside of them it's totally renovated."

Class of 2026 DB De'Mari Clemons Earns Syracuse Offer Following Camp Performance (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football hosted its only on campus camp of the summer on Saturday. Talented players from all over the country in the 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 classes flocked to Central New York to showcase their abilities in front of the Orange coaches. One of those players was 2026 Buffalo (NY) Sweet Home Senior High standout De'Mari Clemons. Clemons had such a strong performance that he earned an offer following camp.

"It all started from putting in countless hours of hard work and dedication," Clemons said. "My uncle Jermaine Clemons played division one football and had the potential of going pro. Throughout my little league career people would always compare me to my uncle, which gave me the drive that if I work hard and trust the process, anything's possible. Each week my dad would take me to train at different trainers to focus on certain parts of my game to be the best I could be.

"Every chance me and my dad had we would come up with a plan to attack all social media to get the attention needed for schools to recognize. One thing lead to another, receiving a full scholarship to a local high school and getting the opportunity to have an unofficial visit to Syracuse University. Now receiving my first division one offer from Syracuse."

The moment was a dream come true for Clemons, who has a chance to be one of the top recruits in his class.

Syracuse Recruiting Roundup: Jayden Bass, Demari Clemons - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse football hosted its Elite Prospect Camp over the weekend, so there’s plenty to catch up on as we turn the calendar over to June.

Two prospects earned their way to offers with their performances. Jayden Bass, a 2023 offensive lineman from Springfield (MA) Central, was offered by Syracuse after camp. It’s his first Power 5 offer, but he holds more than 10 offers from Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan and Temple, among others.

Syracuse was also the first to offer 2026 defensive back Demari Clemons from Buffalo (NY) Sweet Home. He told Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister the offer was the “biggest moment of his life.”

The Orange hosted several New York quarterbacks participate in camp, including 2025 Aquinas (NY) Institute quarterback Benjamin Newman and 2024 signal caller Joey Tomasso from Waverly (NY) High. Tomasso was a NYSSWA Second Team All-State selection as a sophomore.

Another quarterback on campus was 2025 Canisius (NY) High quarterback Gavin Schwab. Syracuse also hosted The Buffalo prospect was on campus earlier in May on an unofficial visit with several of his teammates. Schwab’s teammate, 2024 running back Dyrell Howard-Dolson was among the players who took the unofficial visit with Schwab, and he was back on campus for camp.

Outside of the New York area, Syracuse also welcomed 2024 quarterback Chris Dietrich from Pope (NJ) John and Don Bosco (NJ) Prep quarterback Charlie LaMorte.

Here are some of the other prospects who participated:

» Related: The latest on Syracuse recruits Deandre Duffus, D’Shawntae Jones

Syracuse also offered two prospects this week outside of camp. We start with 2023 Cardinal Ritter (MO) College wide receiver Frederick Moore. He’s rated three stars by 247 Sports and holds offers from Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State, among others.

Syracuse also offered 2023 Olmsted (OH) Falls offensive lineman Dominic Rivera. He’s also a three star prospect, and holds offers from Rutgers, Iowa State and Boston College, among others.

The Orange lost out on a JUCO offensive lineman it was pursuing. Monroe (NY) College’s Savion Herring took an official visit to Syracuse in May, one of five official visits he took. But he committed to Tennessee on his last visit, choosing them over the Orange, Kansas, USF and Middle Tennessee.

Syracuse Football: In new rankings, commits among top-5 prospects in NY (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football, to date, has several commits in its 2023 cycle, and we’re taking a look at updated national rankings for these players from an industry-generated recruiting service.

One of the main recruiting services that I use for these sorts of articles is the 247Sports Composite, which compiles its ratings by taking into account individual rankings from the four main recruiting Web sites – 247Sports, ESPN, On3 and .

To me, the 247Sports Composite, and the industry-generated On3 Consensus, give the most comprehensive picture of a high-school prospect’s national rankings.

The 247Sports Composite, just in the past few days, provided updated ratings for the 2023 class, and we’re focused here on Orange commits David Clement, Rashard Perry and LaNorris Sellers.

Let’s see where these Syracuse football commits are ranked in 2023.

Listed at 6-foot-7 and 265 pounds on the 247Sports Web site, the three-star Clement is a tight end/defensive end out of the Christian Brother Academy in Albany, N.Y.

Clement verbally committed to the ‘Cuse in late March. He plans to take an official visit to the Hill from June 17 to June 19.

Within the 2023 cycle, the 247Sports Composite rates Clement at No. 1,057 overall, No. 52 at tight end and No. 5 in New York.

Perry, a three-star defensive lineman, is listed at 6-foot-3 and 245 pounds via 247Sports. He committed to the Orange in early April and goes to Bennett High School in Buffalo, N.Y.

Per the latest ratings from the 247Sports Composite, Perry checks in at No. 903 nationally, No. 105 at defensive lineman and No. 3 in New York. It’s also worth noting that the 247Sports recruiting service has him as the No. 1 player in New York within the 2023 class.

I don’t want to get too hung up on rankings, but the fact that Syracuse football coaches have already secured two of the top-five prospects in New York state in 2023 is an encouraging sign to me, personally.

College football's top 25 best running backs entering the 2022 season (247sports.com; Crawford)

6. BLAKE CORUM, MICHIGAN

There might not be a player for a team ranked inside college football's preseason top 25 that means more to his squad's success in 2022 than Blake Corum. According to PFF's advanced stats, Corum registered 553 yards after contact last season, which ranks near the top of college football. Corum was one of only four Power Five running backs with at least 100 carries who averaged at least 6.5 yards per attempt, a notable statistic given Michigan's reliance on his production alongside Hassan Haskins in a two-headed attack.

5. SEAN TUCKER, SYRACUSE

10625505.jpg

(Photo: Rich Barnes, USA TODAY Sports)

Per 247Sports' Stephen Bailey, Sean Tucker earned Syracuse's starting job four games into his true freshman season in 2020 and the rest is history. The 5-foot-10, 209-pound wrecking ball finished fourth nationally last season with 1,496 yards rushing — numbers that eclipsed Joe Morris' single-season record at Syracuse in the team's 11th game of the season. Tucker broke another program record with seven straight 100-yard performances. He also recorded 12 rushing touchdowns to go along with 20 receptions, 255 receiving yards and another two scores as a pass-catching option.

4. DEUCE VAUGHN, KANSAS STATE

Do yourself a favor and watch Kansas State games this season. If not, you're missing out with one of the nation's most electrifying athletes. Defenses were supposed to do a better job bottling up the Wildcats' 5-6, 170-pound weapon as a sophomore given his freshman film, but it didn't happen, as Deuce Vaughn accumulated 1,872 yards from scrimmage and 22 touchdowns. His 1,404 yards rushing were mesmerizing weekly, highlighted by several long touchdowns. He averages nearly 6 yards per carry in his career.

3. BRAELON ALLEN, WISCONSIN

Braelon Allen is one of two Wisconsin running backs capable of 1,000 yards this season, but senior Chez Mellusi didn't quite make this top 25. Much like Jonathan Taylor and other star Badgers in the backfield before him, Allen has a chance to win the Doak Walker as college football's potential leading rusher. Allen, who played the entire 2021 season as a 17-year-old, rushed for 1,268 yards and 12 touchdowns last year, while averaging a Big Ten-best 6.8 yards per attempt. Good luck catching him from behind in the open field or making a 1-on-1 tackle on the outside.

2. TREVEYON HENDERSON, OHIO STATE

Only at Ohio State can you tally a program record 19 touchdowns as a true freshman and be the third-most talked about player on offense entering the 2022 season behind C.J. Stroud and Jaxon Smith-Njigba. TreVeyon Henderson was unstoppable as a five-star, first-year player last year, rushing for 1,248 yards (6.8 yards per carry) and 15 scores. He added 27 receptions for 312 yards (11.6 yards per catch) and four additional touchdowns. There's a reason Henderson was the 247Sports Composite's No. 1-ranked running back in the Class of 2021, and he showed early why scouting comparisons to Christian McCaffrey held water.

1. BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS

Despite not playing a full season last fall, Bijan Robinson wrapped up his sophomore campaign as the Longhorns' leading rusher with 1,127 yards and 11 rushing touchdowns over 10 games. Robinson finished third on the team with 295 receiving yards (11.4 yards per catch) and four receiving scores. Robinson hopes to return to 2020 form after averaging 8.2 yards per carry as the nation's breakout freshman ballcarrier. He's a preseason Heisman Trophy candidate in 2022 and a primary factor in how the Big 12 Championship picture will shake out.

(youtube,com; game simulation)

NCAA14 College Football Revamped | HUSKERS AT SYRACUSE

Seminole Wrap: Who are Florida State’s 5 most important players for 2022? (tomahawknation.com; Pellerin, Scarpio and Marchant)

The Florida State football season is slowly inching closer, which gives us a chance to look at the year ahead from the macro level, starting with the roster.

This team is filled with players trying to find their footing, trying to make a name for themselves, trying to make a splash. The question the Seminole Wrap crew — Brian Pellerin, Max Escarpio, and Jon Marchant — tried to tackle is who NEEDS to make that jump for FSU to take a leap as a team and program in 2022.

Take a listen to who the guys think has to step up this season and give us your top-five in the comments and we’ll respond with our thoughts as well.

2022 VT Special Games (RX; HM)

2022 VT Special Games​

From HokieSports: "Effect Games, promotional plans announced for Virginia Tech Football’s 2022 campaign"

The Virginia Tech athletic department has announced promotional plans, theme days and Effect Game dates for the Hokies' upcoming campaign.

Virginia Tech Athletics partners with the Undergraduate Student Senate (formerly Student Government Association) to execute Effect Game experiences for all fans in attendance at Lane Stadium. This fall's slate will include Orange Effect, Maroon Effect and White Effect games, along with a special Hokie Effect game featuring both maroon and orange T-shirts...
_____

2022 Effect Games

VIRGINIA TECH vs. BOSTON COLLEGE
Saturday, Sept. 10; Orange Effect
Hokie Kids' Club Day; Group themes: Marching Virginian for a Day
+ Scout Day
VIRGINIA TECH vs. WOFFORD
Saturday, Sept. 17; White Effect
Military Appreciation Day; Fall Family Weekend; HokieBird birthday party
Group themes: Healthcare Appreciation Day + Corps of Cadets Reunion
VIRGINIA TECH
Thursday, Sept. 22;
Throwback Night;
vs. W.VIRGINIA
Hokie Effect
Group theme: Local

College Night
VIRGINIA TECH vs. MIAMI
Saturday, Oct. 15; Maroon Effect
Homecoming; Highty Tighties Reunion Weekend; Group themes:
Alumni Chapter Volunteer Day + Celebrating Virginia's Agriculture Day

No Great OOC Wins in 2021 (RX; HM)

No Great OOC Wins in 2021

2021 was a horrible year for ACC football out-of-conference. As usual, the non-conference schedule presented plenty of opportunities to make a statement, but most of those statements last season amounted to "not quite good enough". But, to be fair, let's run down the conference, team by team.
Boston College had one P5 OOC game, Missouri at home, and won it. In fact, BC went 4-0 out of conference. Congratulations, Eagles!
Clemson had two P5 non-conference games in the regular season. They lost to Georgia (in Charlotte), but saved face by destroying South Carolina 30-0.
Florida State's season was book-ended by marquee P5 games, much like Clemson's. However, the Seminoles lost both of them (Notre Dame and Florida) - by 3 points each! - and tossed in an embarrassing last-play loss to an FCS team as well (it was not a good season in Tallahassee!)
Louisville also played P5 opponents to start and end their 2021 season, and the Cardinals also lost both games. The main difference: the Cards were not competitive against either Ole Miss or Kentucky. They did get a decent win over UCF, but that doesn't count as P5 just yet.
NC State had one shot at a P5 OOC win and blew it, losing on the road at Mississippi State.
Syracuse, who also had just one P5 OOC opponent, albeit a much easier one in Rutgers, lost theirs, too - at home.

The Last Time UVA won 10 FB Games... (RX; HM)

The Last Time UVA won 10 FB Games...

ten

I saw this on twitter and immediately thought "we need to discuss this!"

Each ACC football team's last 10-win season:

Clemson (2021)
Pitt (2021)
Wake Forest (2021)
Syracuse (2018)
Miami (2017)
FSU (2016)
VA Tech (2016)
UNC (2015)
Georgia Tech (2014)
Duke (2013)
Louisville (2013)
BC (2007)
NC State (2002)
Virginia (1989)

Other

YBNEQNOHVFBD3OIHOC4NTGIIZM.JPG

Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

Paul McCartney leads Syracuse to fab fountain of youth (concert review, photos) (PS; Herbert)

Sir Paul McCartney is either lying about his age, or he discovered the fountain of youth at some point.

The Beatles legend performed 36 songs during a nearly three-hour concert at the JMA Wireless Dome in Syracuse on Saturday, mixing Fab Four classics like “Can’t Buy Me Love” and “Get Back” with his solo and Wings catalogs. It was his first show at the Syracuse University stadium since 2017 and the only Upstate New York stop on his 2022 “Got Back” tour dates.

Wecome back to Syracuse, Paul,” multiple signs at the Dome said.

“It’s good to be back,” McCartney told the crowd of some 35,000 fans as the concert began.

McCartney turns 80 later this month, but he still has the boyish charm of a mop-top singer performing on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in 1964. He’s one of the greatest songwriters of all time, a two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, has won 18 Grammys and an Academy Award, and was a member of one of the most influential bands in music history.

Yet he’s still a humble and polite lad from Liverpool, thanking people for signs they made — cheers to the guy who said he was seeing his 127th McCartney show — or when they light up their cell phones during torch songs like “Let It Be.” He gave a shoutout to “the best crew on the planet” for the amps and stage setup brought in by 19 tractor-trailers, acknowledging roadies in a way that lesser artists almost never do.

McCartney played with the crowd, smiling as he threatened to jump off the stage and go crowd-surfing, or joking about the pyrotechnics during “Live and Let Die” being too old. (If it’s too loud, you’re too old, but we don’t believe you, Paul.) He also feigned modesty when the ladies screamed as he took off his coat.

“What? It’s just a jacket,” he said.

Despite all of the bowl-ineligible seasons, it's not been that long since Syracuse won 10 football games. That said, Babers could really use a bowl season in 2022 at least!

PS. I really thought Syracuse would beat Rutgirls last year. Then again, VT had WVU beat and lost anyway. Game management has not been an ACC strength.

PS. I really thought Syracuse would beat Rutgirls last year. Then again, VT had WVU beat and lost anyway. Game management has not been an ACC strength.
The refs played a big role in the Syracuse loss.

Syracuse outplayed Rutgers all game long but the refs were intent on giving them the win.

D-Day Carlton Barret Fulton NY one of only 4 Medal of Honor winners on D-Day (Only one who survived) one other notable General Roosevelt (Teddy's Son) D-Day must be taught and retaught, Coach Ben landed the early morning.. Night drop over Normandy
Sports pale in comparison..

D-Day Carlton Barret Fulton NY one of only 4 Medal of Honor winners on D-Day (Only one who survived) one other notable General Roosevelt (Teddy's Son) D-Day must be taught and retaught, Coach Ben landed the early morning.. Night drop over Normandy
Sports pale in comparison..
I hope we have D Day ceremonies forever. All the people who gave their lives, or survived but were forever changed, deserve that honor.

The refs played a big role in the Syracuse loss.

Syracuse outplayed Rutgers all game long but the refs were intent on giving them the win.
They were Big 10 refs and they were bullied by Schiano! In inter league contests they needed the Big 10 school to win; that’s pressure from the conference.

Let’s continue to support our Veterans by making sure they have quality health care and mental health care for their lives and let’s make this law!​

Sorry, but beyond my homer bias, there simply are not 4 CFB running backs better than Sean Tucker. You can throw around all the stats you want (including Tucker's own impressive numbers). But when you watch video of Tucker last season and see the (1) the quick burst through the line, (2) ankle-breaking elusiveness, (3) durability, and (4) what he did behind an OL that frankly doesn't compare to those where the RBs ranked ahead of him played (Ohio State, Wisc, Texas, and Kansas State), you just know he is, at the very least, the equal of any college running back entering the 2022-23 season. We are blessed to have him play for SU!