Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1000_F_317773500_X2bGWNjBLgLmKr0Ah2tqG4ZxBEx4GHrd.jpg
Welcome
to National Trail Mix Day!

National Trail Mix Day is dedicated to the snack mix of sustenance, which was conceived to be taken along on hikes. It is easy to carry and usually nutritious, often containing raisins, nuts, and granola. Chocolate is often also added. It's at least been around since 1910, when it was mentioned in Horace Kephart's The Book of Camping and Woodcraft. In many European countries it is known as "student snack" or "student food", and many hikers refer to trail mix as "gorp". This may be an acronym for "good old raisins and peanuts" or "granola, oats, raisins, peanuts."

SU News

BOZICH | 3 takeaways from Satterfield on job security, dominating Syracuse, early schedule (wdrb; Bozich)

Three years ago, Scott Satterfield was voted the top football coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference after directing the University of Louisville to an unexpected 8-5 season.

Two years ago, he finished a 4-7 season with a clumsy flirtation with the South Carolina job.

Last year, after the Cards finished 6-7 for their second consecutive losing season, there was significant chatter than Satterfield would not be the guy on the U of L sidelines when the Cardinals opened 2022 at Syracuse Saturday night.

Satterfield is the coach of a team favored by 4 1/2 points to open a victory over an Orange program that U of L has pounded 71-3 the last two seasons.

Satterfield as well as his offensive coordinator Lance Taylor and defense coordinator Bryan Brown answered questions about the Cards and the Orange for more than 40 minutes Tuesday afternoon.

Here are three takeaways on Satterfield’s job security, the Cards’ dominance of Syracuse and the difference in this summer’s camp.

1.) Satterfield said he does not look at Coaching Hot Seat lists but understands that third consecutive losing season must be avoided.

“To me, I think every year is a crucial year,” Satterfield said.

How many games will Louisville football win in 2022? Here's our prediction (C-J; Cubit)

Louisville football coach Scott Satterfield has maintained the Cardinals team set to debut against Syracuse on Saturday is not the same one from a year ago.

In many ways, he’s right.

The Cardinals have a host of new players and additions to the coaching staff, including offensive coordinator Lance Taylor and co-defensive coordinator and safeties coach Wes McGriff. Both have brought in their own ideas and have collaborated with the rest of the coaching staff to make improvements. On top of that, key players like linebacker Monty Montgomery, cornerback Kei’Trel Clark and wide receiver Braden Smith are all healthy and ready to go.

U of L finished 6-6 last season but lost its bowl game to drop below .500 for the third straight season. Can the Cards get enough going this year to avoid a similar fate?

Here’s a game-by-game prediction of Louisville’s 2022 season:

Louisville at Syracuse, Sept. 3

Prediction: Louisville 34, Syracuse 20

Opening the season on the road is never easy, much less with the game being the ACC opener as well. The Cardinals have gone 6-4 in season openers over the last decade with three of those wins coming against Power 5 teams. None of those teams have been Syracuse, however. Scott Satterfield has yet to lose to the Orange as Louisville’s head coach and it doesn’t appear to be the year that changes. The Cardinals have a little extra motivation after a Syracuse linebacker said in June he didn't view U of L as a "tough challenge."

2021 recap and upcoming season outlook — 2022 Syracuse Football preview - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

A star was born last season in Syracuse, as Sean Tucker, who hinted at his potential in limited play as a freshman in 2020, exploded on the scene. The sophomore running back piled up nine 100-yard rushing games and a dozen touchdowns en route to setting the single-season rushing record for the Orange, piling up 1,496 yards on the campaign. Tucker burst onto the scene with 181 rushing yards in the opener at Ohio and rolled up a season-high 207 yards against Boston College.

After taking over the starting spot in the fourth game of the season, quarterback Garrett Shrader joined Tucker in forming an exceptional two-headed rushing attack. The Mississippi State transfer added 14 touchdowns and 791 yards on the ground, as well as 1,445 yards and nine scores through the air.

Unfortunately, SU offset this rushing success by being pretty punchless through through the air, finishing in the bottom ten out of 130 FBS schools in completions, passing yards, and passing touchdowns per game. As a result, Syracuse tied for 91st among FBS competitors at 24.9 points per game and finished 99th in points scored per drive.

The Orange defense was solid, finishing 21st in yards allowed per game and 31st in yards per play. The unit finished 26th in passing yards allowed per game and 28th in rushing yards allowed per game, including ranking 16th in quarterback sacks per game.

Opining on Syracuse football, Bills’ bungling of rape investigation | Rochester Business Journal (rbj.net; Pitoniak)

Victory-famished sports fans often plummet from feeling angry to apathetic. And that can be problematic because at least angry fans care enough to remain financially and emotionally invested in their teams. They still attend games, still buy merchandise and concessions, still root, root, root for the ol’ home team. Apathetic fans just stop going. Period. They opt to spend their cash, time and emotions elsewhere.

I think apathetic is where many Syracuse University football fans are at this point, and I can’t say as I blame them because the Orange men have mustered just one winning season in the past eight years and just four in the past 17 years. That ignominious stretch has seen them suffer through three 10-loss seasons and two nine-loss seasons. Other than their 10-win campaign and No. 15th final ranking four years ago, they’ve been nationally irrelevant. And irrelevant in their own backyard for that matter.

Syracuse kicks off its 2022 schedule Saturday night against Louisville at the newly named (it’s going to take time getting used to writing this) JMA Wireless Dome. With a ledger featuring games against two top-five opponents and four top-20 foes, it’s not exactly man-bites-dog news that the Vegas oddsmakers are forecasting another losing record.

That would make six losing seasons in seven tries for Coach Dino Babers – more than enough to call for his firing. But, in reality, Babers appears safe despite his abysmal 29-43 record because, according to reports from respected ESPN college football insider Pete Thamel, the affable Babers has a $10-million buyout clause after this season. Although that’s pocket change to football factories like Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Penn State and Ohio State, it’s significant money for a medium-sized private university like Syracuse that historically doesn’t buy out coaches’ contracts. So, unless Babers turns in another 1-10 season like he did in 2020, he probably remains.

Winning is the only remedy that can rouse apathetic Orange fans to care enough to plant their fannies back on those uncomfortable aluminum bench seats in the Dome. And, if you look really hard, you’ll find reasons to believe that maybe this Syracuse team can defy the odds.

Syracuse football: Dino Babers isn’t the only one under pressure to win this season (TNIAAM; Wall)

As we prepare to start the Syracuse Orange football season we’ve had the Dino Babers hot seat talk seemingly squashed by the $10m buyout he’d be owed. That doesn’t mean that the Orange can afford another season without a bowl game. The buyout might keep Babers around into 2023 what will he be returning to?

All of you who read the comments here or listen to local sports radio know that Orange fans have lost their belief because the evidence hasn’t been there since 2018. Syracuse showed a lot of fight and heart on the field last season but Dino’s decisions didn’t deliver enough wins. It was gutsy to switch quarterbacks but would the Rutgers game have been different if Shrader had gotten the nod in camp? Would the team have found their stride sooner and gotten over the hump against Florida State or Wake Forest?

Syracuse football: Week one depth chart reactions roundtable (TNIAAM; Staff)

It’s our first Syracuse Orange football game week of the 2022 season and we have a depth chart. Syracuse released the information today and we gathered our team to share their reaction

It's gameweek and we have an @CuseFootball depth chart. Seems to be some shakeups changes and questions on what's on paper. pic.twitter.com/py3S9dMvwV
— Steve Haller (@DutchHart) August 29, 2022

What’s the biggest surprise for you in this depth chart?

Christian - Oronde Gadsden II listed as the No. 1 tight end. I’ve made my feelings known about Syracuse usage (or lack thereof) of the tight end position over the past couple of season, but this isn’t exactly how I thought they would solve that issue. Gadsden had been tracking all throughout camp as the No. 1 outside wide receiver, but him listed as a tight throws questions up both at TE and WR.

Mike - I’ll agree with Gadsden since there was little to no indication that he was moving off of receiver. I thought he earned a starting spot with Anthony Queeley out for the short term, but I have to wonder what the plan is here. Was Maximilian Mang not cutting it and Anae is insistent on having a TE involved in his gameplan?

Steve - Going to have to go with Jatius Geer getting the nod at the DE spot. There’s some weird things going on based on Dino’s comments on Linton being ready, but not on the chart, but it’s a surprising and promising to see Geer work his way up to the top of the list.

Kevin - Jatius Geer at starting defensive end. It seemed like Geer was a good candidate for short yardage situations and his size stood out at the spring game but he wasn’t talked about a lot during camp.

SU football’s Week 2 opponent has lost its starting QB for the season (PS; Mink)

Connecticut starting quarterback Ta’Quan Roberson will miss the remainder of the season as a result of a knee injury, coach Jim Mora Jr. told reporters Tuesday.

Roberson, a transfer from Penn State, was the Huskies opening day starter and will undergo surgery this week to repair a torn ACL.

The injury occurred early in UConn’s 31-20 loss to Utah State last weekend. Roberson completed 1-of-2 passes for 10 yards and scored a rushing touchdown before being replaced by Zion Turner.

Syracuse travels to Connecticut in Week 2. The game is scheduled for 7 p.m., on Sept. 10 (TV: CBS Sports Network).

Turner completed 12-of-31 passes for 109 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions in relief of Roberson.

Turner is expected to start Saturday’s game against Central Connecticut State.

The Orange opens the 2022 season at 8 p.m. Saturday against Louisville in the JMA Wireless Dome.

These 4 true freshmen are most likely to play right away for SU football (PS; $; Leiker)

LeQuint Allen might have solidified his spot behind Sean Tucker on Syracuse football’s Week 1 depth chart in one of the final practices of fall camp.

During the team’s final Friday practice of the fall, the true freshman running back put on a show during the 2-minute drill.

Subbing in for Tucker on the final snaps of the first-team drive, Allen was in the end zone when quarterback Garrett Shrader tossed the ball up into a scrum around 10 yards out.

Allen came down with the ball, much to the excitement of his teammates, and then went back out on the field when the No. 2 offense came on. A similar scenario occurred in the opposite end zone when backup QB Carlos Del Rio-Wilson heaved up the ball, and Allen again came down with it.

“He doesn’t act like a freshman, and he can catch,” coach Dino Babers said. “Off the field he’s still a freshman, but on the field he does not act like a freshman. He acts like he belongs.”

(youtube; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse has unveiled its depth chart for week 1 against Louisville! Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine break down the depth chart, telling you everything you need to know about SU's squad in 2022.

Football Weekly Press Conference Pre Syracuse 8/30/2022 (youtube.com; video; Go Cards)

Louisville Football Weekly Press Conference :: Aug. 30, 2022

VIDEO: Bryan Brown Previews Syracuse (thecrunchzone.com; video; Blankenbraker)

VIDEO: UL OL COACH BRYAN BROWN PREVIEWS SYRACUSE

GettyImages-1235195607-1024x683-1-768x512.jpg

Field2Court

Syracuse Football’s Most Important Players: #1 Sean Tucker – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Ezeir)

Was there any doubt? All-American running back Sean Tucker wraps up our list with four days until the season opener, and for reasons that laude his statistical success and beyond. The Maryland native shocked the world last year by rushing for other worldly numbers. During the 2021 season, RB1 ran for over 100 yards in nine of Syracuse’s 12 games. That was quite the stark difference after he eclipsed the century mark only three out of the nine games in 2020. But the stats only improved from there.

Tucker’s 1,496 yards (led the ACC) on the ground marked an SU single-season high, even with the likes of Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, and Larry Csonka sporting an Orange uniform in the past. In fact, Syracuse’s sophomore back joined those names as the only tailbacks in school history to earn first-team All-America recognition by one of the five NCAA-recognized selectors. A feat that had many calling for Tucker to change his number ’34’ to the famed ’44’, worn by Brown and Davis and currently hanging in the rafters.

Plus, the third-year running threat also has a keen eye for picking the ball out of the air, catching 20 passes for over 250 yards last season. This is all to say Tucker is far from a one-trick pony and most importantly, knows how to create a name for himself while simultaneously ramping up his image. It’s both necessary to note his importance in the backfield and on the Central New York community. The unexpected hype around a player that didn’t even land on the depth chart heading into the 2020 season will most likely draw eyes to this SU team that otherwise wouldn’t be warranted. In fact, it’s not a farfetched claim to say that over half the fans that pack the Dome on Saturday are in attendance to watch Tucker alone.

WHY SYRACUSE NEEDS HIM

There are plenty of obvious instances as to why the Orange need their star running back. First, Tucker is a once-in-a-generation type talent in terms of his ability to cut back, find holes past the line of scrimmage, and turn on his secondary speed, while also controlling his feet on hard-nosed runs. This allowed the Maryland native to break out for 58% of SU’s rushing yards last season, and over a third of their total touchdowns. The ‘Cuse needed all of that yardage to lead the conference in rush yards per game, and all the points to even salvage a 5-7 year. Plus, the national recognition he received revitalized the Orange’s fanbase and warranted a large crowd in Syracuse’s do-or-die season finale with Pitt last year.

Syracuse football legend Chris Gedney is a pillar of my Orange fandom (itlh; Fiello)

As my 50th year on this Earth becomes a reality, I’m often more reflective of certain things but especially my Syracuse football fandom. Why am I the fan I am and what has influenced that over those five decades?

Let me start off by saying I have never met Chris Gedney in person. Sure I’ve done a couple of head nods or “hey” in his direction on the quad years ago before his unfortunate passing, but we never truly met.

I do recall one time walking past him in my Syracuse game-day attire and I’m fairly certain I saw him smiling at my painted face and wig amongst other things I adorned. However having said that, part of me still feels a connection to him that further adds a foundation to why I love my Orange, bleed for my Orange and find myself a forever optimist about the program and the happiness it brings many every fall, including myself.

I feel a strong connection to Syracuse football legend Chris Gedney, who helped shape my Orange fandom.

Picture this. It’s 1988 and I’m a sophomore at Cicero-North Syracuse High School. I’m an awkward kid who didn’t really have friends and was that kid most walked past and probably didn’t even notice. I was a sports fan though, which included the Orange and the Northstars. Our rival high school was Liverpool High School and their top athlete was a guy named Chris Gedney. Man did he dominate us.

Syracuse Football: SU defense will have to be elite to contain top-flight QB (itlh; Adler)

Talk about a tough first task for the Syracuse football defense.

The Orange opens its 2022 campaign at home this Saturday evening, its first season opener on the Hill in numerous years. And while excitement is brewing over the team’s potential for a breakthrough stanza this fall, the promising ‘Cuse defense will have to be on point right from the get-go.

That’s because this Saturday, the Orange will welcome to Central New York fellow Atlantic Coast Conference group Louisville and its prolific offense, led by star-studded quarterback Malik Cunningham.

The 6-foot-1 redshirt senior, who hails from Montgomery, Ala., went full beast mode a season ago, as Cunningham in 2021 accumulated nearly 4,000 total yards while scoring nearly 40 total touchdowns. Yikes.

Syracuse football defenders, at all three levels, must be precise versus Louisville.

In all fairness, yes, the Cardinals were just 6-7 in 2021, which is only slightly better than the Orange’s 5-7 mark a stanza ago. But much like the ‘Cuse, Louisville in 2021 fell short by small margins in a handful of battles.

If you include the Cardinals’ three-point setback to Air Force at the First Responder Bowl in Dallas in late December, Louisville lost four contests by a grand total of 13 points.

Similar to the Orange, the Cardinals have new pieces on their roster in 2022, as compared to last year, but Cunningham remains under center, and I foresee that as a likely problem for the ‘Cuse, given his dual-threat capabilities.

In 2021, Louisville had a relatively balanced attack between its ground and passing games, and the Cardinals averaged nearly 32 points per encounter a season ago, along with close to 450 yards of total offense per affair.

Louisville OL Bryan Hudson, MLB MoMo Sanogo Preview Syracuse (8/30/22) (SI; audio)

Game week is finally here. Following another long offseason, the Louisville football program is only a few short days away from making their return to the gridiron.

The Cardinals will kickoff their 2022 season away from the Derby City, instead traveling up north to square off with Syracuse. Like the fanbase, the players are just as excited to get the season underway.

"It's been awesome this week in practice," center Bryan Hudson said. "We've been putting in a lot of work in the offseason and this fall camp, going against our own defense and just kind of working on ourselves. That transition into game one is always an exciting one, and energy is always high. Everybody's flying around, and it's always a good time. It's really refreshing to finally be in week one, and be preparing for Syracuse."

The Orange feature arguably the best running back in the nation in Sean Tucker, and boasted one of the better defenses in the ACC last season. Coupled with a new offensive coordinator to try and fix some issues in their passing game, and Syracuse does present a bit of a challenge.

As game prep progresses throughout the week, Louisville is become more confident in their ability to combat Syracuse.

"It feels good to be game planning and coming up with a good plan," middle linebacker MoMo Sanogo said. They got that coordinator coming in from Virginia, so they're going to be keeping us on our toes with that play calling a little bit. But we think we're going to beat what they're going to try to hit us with, and we're prepared.

SU hopes to deck the Cards Saturday night (spectrumlocalnews.com; Callaway)

The 2022 football season for Syracuse gets underway at 8 p.m. Saturday with the Orange hosting conference foe Louisville.

SU has had a rough go against the Cardinals, compiling a 1-7 record since joining the ACC, including a 41-3 loss on the road last year.

What You Need To Know

• The 2022 football season for Syracuse gets underway at 8 p.m. Saturday
  • The Orange will host conference foe Louisville
  • SU has had a rough go against the Cardinals, compiling a 1-7 record since joining the ACC

"We almost felt helpless last year, but everything is totally different this year. We have a new offense, doing a lot of different stuff. I think it's going to look a lot different," SU quarterback Garrett Shrader said.

"We definitely want to come out and win. We know what we have to do," Sean Tucker said.

Garrett Shrader has trimmed down the beard and the hair since spring ball, so I asked him why today. For MUCH more on the team and the players, make sure you tune into @SPECNews1CNY for our SU football special on Wednesday night at 8PM. pic.twitter.com/eiRK5hrCrn
— Kate Callaway (@KateCallawayTV) August 30, 2022

Opponent Breakdown: Syracuse Orange Offense (cardchroniclel Wynne)

The Louisville defense has dominated Syracuse for the last two seasons. The Cards have held the Orange to a total of 321 total yards in the two games and Syracuse has only been able to average 3.14 yards per play. Dino Babers has struggled to field a consistently potent offense but his hires this offseason could change that. Syracuse brought in Robert Anae and Jason Beck from Virginia after they helped to field one of the best offenses in the country.

Last year, one of the most inconsistent aspects of the Cuse offense was their quarterback play. Garrett Schrader took over as the starter early in the season and he helped Cuse stay competitive in some big games with his legs. However, his play fell off over the last quarter of the season and his ability to run the ball wasn’t much of a factor. Shrader has some significant room to improve as a passer; if he hasn’t done so, it will be hard for the offense to reach its potential.

The Orange added some depth at the quarterback spot through the transfer portal as well as high school recruiting. Justin Lamson picked the Orange over Louisville last year and he was expected to push for the starting job as a redshirt freshman. Unfortunately, Lamson went down with an injury this spring and won’t likely play anytime soon. Carlos Del Rio-Wilson is a transfer from Florida who will likely be the backup this season. The former four-star recruit hasn’t played in a game yet.

The star of the show on the Cuse offense is Sean Tucker. Get used to hearing his name because we’ll hear it all week long and then during the broadcast. Tucker is one of the best running backs in the country and he can take over a game with his ability to break long runs. Tucker mixes a great blend of speed and power as he is very hard to bring down in the open field. He is built like a tank but he just runs away from people once he sees daylight.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: What We Want To See From Syracuse In Week 1 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Matt Bonaparte and Owen Valentine discuss the things they'd like to see from Syracuse in week 1 of the college football season. SU takes on Louisville, who have outscored the Orange 71-3 in their last two meetings... Find out what the guys want to see on your Wednesday episode.

On The Block On Demand 8-30 (soundcloud.com; radio; Axe)

Brent keys in on one similarity between Syracuse and Louisville, and one major difference between the two schools ahead of Saturday's matchup. Plus, Malik Cunningham has some motivation posted in his locker.

Syracuse Orange 2022 sideline polos, performance shirts, shorts are here | Where to buy online (PS; Axelson)

The Syracuse University Football Team’s 2022 season is upon us, with the season opener at the JMA Wireless Dome set for September 3. That means the time is now to gear up with the latest Orange sideline gear so you’re looking fresh when you go to the big game.

The latest releases include sideline polos in orange and white, just like coaches and staff will wear on game day. The new Syracuse University collection, available on Fanatics.com, also includes Nike performance shirts and shorts, perfect for your training needs.

Here’s a look at the newest 2022 Syracuse Orange football gear from Fanatics.com.

Syracuse sideline polo

5 Transfer Players To Know | 2022 ACC Football (youtube.com; video; ACC DN)

The ACC will be littered with transfer players at various programs that are sure to make an impact in 2022. Florida State defensive lineman Jared Verse is already making his presence felt at FSU by way of Albany. Pitt quarterback Kedon Slovis was once a man of Troy, but now looks to impact with the Panthers. Dylan McDuffie had a big season for Buffalo in 2021, and will look to do the same for the Yellow Jackets in 2022. Get to know these guys and a couple more of the top transfers entering the ACC.

Questions about ACC football season getting ready to be answered (dailyadvance.com; Friedman)

I used to love summer as a kid. School was out and the weather was warm so I could go outside and play.

Now the sun feels like it may be slowly cooking me and work doesn’t give me summers off so my favorite season has now become college football season.
It’s like fall, but better because it contains within it all of the hope and heartbreak of a young summer love with cooler weather and a fulfilled desire to see men violently crash into each other. Yes, I love college football.

It is set to kickoff this week and I am dedicated to enjoying it as much as I can while I still can. It’s not that I think college football is going away, it is far too profitable for that.

It has changed more in the last few years though than it has in the last 40 and there is no guarantee I will still be in love with what it becomes. Because of that I want to ensure I enjoy it while I have it.

If you are a fan of the ACC like I am, I would encourage you to take the same approach to that conference that I am college football as a whole. This is the last year of there being Atlantic and Coastal divisions and there is no telling what other changes are on the horizon.

Speaking of changes, it’s going to be weird not seeing David Cutcliff on the sideline at Duke. Cutcliff was in Durham for 14 seasons and that doesn’t happen a lot in college football anymore. It was time for the Blue Devils to make a change and, while I’ll miss him coaching in the ACC, it will be comforting to have a Duke coach I can try to dislike again.

ACC Football Power Rankings Round-Up - Week 1, 2022 (bcinterruption; Flannery)

Curtis Flannery’s (BC Interruption) Rankings:
  1. NC State Wolfpack
  2. Clemson Tigers
  3. Miami Hurricanes
  4. Pittsburgh Panthers
  5. North Carolina Tar Heels
  6. Florida State Seminoles
  7. Virginia Cavaliers
  8. Boston College Eagles
  9. Louisville Cardinals
  10. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
  11. Syracuse Orange
  12. Virginia Tech Hokies
  13. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  14. Duke Blue Devils
ESPN’s FPI Rankings:
  1. Clemson Tigers
  2. Miami Hurricanes
  3. Pittsburgh Panthers
  4. NC State Wolfpack
  5. North Carolina Tar Heels
  6. Florida State Seminoles
  7. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
  8. Louisville Cardinals
  9. Virginia Cavaliers
  10. Boston College Eagles
  11. Syracuse Orange
  12. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  13. Virginia Tech Hokies
  14. Duke Blue Devils
CBS Sports Rankings:
  1. Clemson Tigers
  2. NC State Wolfpack
  3. Miami Hurricanes
  4. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
  5. Pittsburgh Panthers
  6. Louisville Cardinals
  7. North Carolina Tar Heels
  8. Florida State Seminoles
  9. Virginia Tech Hokies
  10. Boston College Eagles
  11. Virginia Cavaliers
  12. Syracuse Orange
  13. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  14. Duke Blue Devils

Should Clemson Stay in the ACC? (youtube; video; The Voice of CFB)

With conference expansion still on the minds of many fans, the Clemson insider says he would rather stick with the tradition of playing teams like Georgia Tech or Miami instead of playing in a different region of the country.

2022 Week 1 Thursday Game Previews (RX; HM)

2022 Week 1 Thursday Game Previews

Thursday, Sept. 1st, 2022

West Virginia at #17 Pitt, 7 p.m. on ESPN

Pitt leads series, 61-40-3; Last meeting: WVU, 21-20 (2011)

Head Coaches:
Pitt - Pat Narduzzi (53-37 in eighth season at Pitt and overall)
WVa - Neal Brown (17-18 in fourth season at West Virginia; 52-34 in eighth season overall)
Notes: Following an 11-year layoff, Pitt resumes its “Backyard Brawl” rivalry with the Mountaineers • This year’s game is the first of a four-year set, with each side hosting two games between now and 2025 • The teams will also play at alternating sites four consecutive seasons from 2029-32 • The schools first met in 1895, and the series enjoyed a run of 68 consecutive games from 1944-2011 before conference realignment altered both teams’ non-league scheduling •

Phil Steele's Preview Magazine (RX; HM)

Phil Steele's Preview Magazine

If you're a long-time ACC football fan like me (I won't use the word "old"), Phil Steele's College Football Preview Magazine is a rite of Fall.

Awesome trip to New York Barnes and Noble @NBBuzz last week with my daughter and met with @KrifkaS and @TareDoll who make sure that Barnes and Nobles are well stocked with the magazine every summer! I wrote about Krifka on page 2 of the magazine this year. pic.twitter.com/IeQhVmbyKo
— Phil Steele (@philsteele042) August 26, 2022
While it's still available, it's getting harder to find in print because, well, people don't buy books and magazines like they used to. Of course, it's also available to download electronically as a PDF, but there's a new service Mr. Steele is offering which intrigues me:

2022 Best/Worst Case (RX; HM)

2022 Best/Worst Case

Here are some predictions for win-loss records, including best and worst-case scenarios...

The Pitt Football Guy posted his projections for 2022 ACC football records for each team.

Ok here it is.

Predictions for the entire ACC football regular season.

- Clemson wins Atlantic
- Pitt wins Coastal
- NC State is legit
- Miami is close
- Wake comes back to reality
- VT has growing pains
- Duke, Syracuse, and GT are bad

Laugh at me in December. pic.twitter.com/LfjTNaWeM1
— H A I L (@PITTFOOTBALLGUY) August 10, 2022

TeamWL
BC75
Clemson111
Duke210
FSU75
Georgia Tech39
Louisville66
Miami93
N Carolina84
NC State102
Pitt102
Syracuse210
Virginia84
Virginia Tech66
Wake Forest84

Other

ZK3ERNHHUVHG7CJCGSCONSR5NE.jpg

A Pulled Pork with Reese's Peanut Butter Cup sandwich at Charlie's Famous Steak Pit.

BBQ pork with Reese’s Cups? This sandwich is now a NY State Fair delicacy (video) (PS; Miller)

The sign hanging above Charlie’s Famous Steak Pit stand promoting “The Latest Craze” at the New York State Fair is raising a lot of eyebrows.

It should be raising a lot of hands here because it’s so much better than it sounds.

The pulled pork sandwich with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups covered in Dinosaur BBQ sauce comes from the same guy who brought us the Double Butter Burger last year in his stand located in the Colonnade, near Chevy Court by the wine slushie vendors. This is a variation of a sandwich that went viral after it first appeared at a Kansas City Royals baseball game in April. (The sandwich at Kauffman Stadium covered the meat with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce and bacon bits.)

Tom Centore is the so-called “brains” behind this operation at our Fair.

“Each year, he comes up with all this crazy stuff. This is his latest thing,” said Dan Karleski, who manages this stand. “Some people think he’s crazy, some people think he’s creative. He’s a little bit of both.”

Last edited: