Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Trick Shot Day!

Trick shots are both entertaining and inspiring and are celebrated today with World Trick Shot Day. The Harlem Globetrotters, "the originators of the trick shot," created the day not only to celebrate the shots but to give fans the opportunity to showcase them. Globetrotters fans take videos of themselves performing their best trick shots and share them on social media for all the world to see. Throwing the ball underhanded from between the legs, over the back while facing away from the basket, from over a half court away from the basket, or while simultaneously jumping and spinning are just a few types of trick shots that might be seen on World Trick Shot Day.

SU News

Vincent-678x381.jpg

Courtesy: Vincent Carroll-Jackson

Fast rising prospect Vincent Carroll-Jackson 'shocked' by Syracuse offer - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

On Monday, Syracuse was the latest school to offer 2023 defensive lineman Vincent Carroll-Jackson, one of the fastest rising prospects in the cycle.

“I like Syracuse from what I’ve seen,” Carroll-Jackson said in an interview with The Juice Online. “As always, I am humbly grateful, shocked and appreciative that a school as big as Syracuse wants me.”

After an amazing conversation with @DL_theHUNT I grateful to receive an offer from @CuseFootball Thank you to @CoachLynch @CoachAhmadCuse
@GinoGigs
@CoachBabersCuse @CoachNJ_Monroe @McAllisterMike1 @LanceDeane @SportsByBLinder @EdOBrienCFB @coachdlee12 pic.twitter.com/PqcCnQ4GdM
— Vincent Carroll-Jackson (@Vincent48487) December 5, 2022

It isn’t just Syracuse.

Since September, more than a dozen schools have extended offers, and more recently, the blue-bloods have gotten involved. In just the past week, SEC powers Florida and Georgia offered, adding to an impressive list that also includes Pitt, Rutgers, Kent State, UConn, Central Michigan and Buffalo, among others.

He took an official visit to Kent State this past weekend, and has visits with Buffalo and Rutgers lined up.

It is a meteoric rise for the Central Dauphin (PA) East recruit, who has only played one varsity football season.

“I may not have played as much as others,” Carroll-Jackson said. “But I feel like I’m just as talented, if not more.”

» Related: The latest with Syracuse recruits Ajani Cornelius, Cruce Brookins

Carroll-Jackson is currently rated a high three-star prospects by 247 Sports, and is the No. 18 overall recruit in the Keystone State.

The offers will continue to roll in for Carroll-Jackson, and he’s taking his time in his recruitment.

“Right now I am just taking my time really absorbing everything,” he said. “I love all the opportunities. No timeline set, yet just trying to figure it all out.”

Dino Babers, Syracuse players react to Pinstripe Bowl invite (DO; Vasudevan)

Syracuse head coach Dino Babers showed up to Monday’s press conference in his Yankees’ pinstripes.

“You can tell by the attire that we’re a little fired up about this,” Babers said to open the press conference, pointing at the name Judge on his back after he left the podium.

It was announced less than 24 hours ago that Syracuse’s first bowl appearance since 2018 would be at the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 29, 2022, against Minnesota at Yankee Stadium. The Orange have made two appearances at the Pinstripe Bowl, in 2010 and 2012, winning both matchups. Now, what happened during Syracuse’s up-and-down regular season doesn’t matter. Syracuse has a chance to go 0-1 or 1-0, Babers said.

“Season ended at 7-5 and now this gives us the opportunity to be in a Bowl and end 1-0,” Babers said. “I’m glad these young men get an opportunity to play one more time.”

Here’s what else Babers, Marlowe Wax and Garrett Shrader had to say a day after the announcement:

Head coach Dino Babers takes to the podium after yesterday’s announcement that Syracuse will play Minnesota in the Pinstripe Bowl. He showed up in a Yankees jersey, fittingly. @DOsports pic.twitter.com/XAyhtfsvHq
— Anish Vasudevan (@anish_vasu) December 5, 2022

The last Syracuse bowl game

Babers remembered the impact of redshirts in SU’s 2018 Camping World Bowl appearance against West Virginia, specifically from Abdul Adams and Trishton Jackson. Adams found the end zone twice in the first half while Jackson snagged three receptions for 27 yards, including a 14-yard back shoulder fade in the fourth quarter.

“You’re (finally) allowed to play these guys,” Babers said about redshirts and transfers.

Adams and Jackson made immediate contributions the following season too as Jackson was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Second Team and Adams tied for second on SU with three rushing touchdowns. Babers said the bowl game can “absolutely” be a preseason for next year, giving his staff an opportunity to figure out who could be big contributors for next year. Shrader said transfer Dan Villari, who is now listed as a tight end after arriving as a quarterback, could make a difference after zero appearances this year.

Syracuse football fans excited for one last opportunity to cheer on their team (youtube; video; NewsChannel9)

Syracuse football fans excited for one last opportunity to cheer on their team

Dino Babers discusses SU Football to play in Pinstripe Bowl (localsyr.com; video)

Dino Babers discusses SU Football to play in Pinstripe Bowl

Orange Hand Out Team Awards - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

The Syracuse football team handed out its annual awards on Sunday night at the team banquet.

The annual team banquet was at Drumlins Country Club and honored departing 'Cuse seniors and managers and celebrated a return to the Pinstripe Bowl before presenting the awards.

Dakota Davis was named the Joseph Alexander Award winner, which is presented for excellence in football, scholarship and citizenship. Davis enters the bowl game with over 50 collegiate games played and 36 starts on the Orange offensive line.

Caleb Okechukwu took home the Tim Green Award, which is presented to the team's most outstanding defensive lineman. He led the team with seven sacks this season. He also added 10 tackles for loss and started every game this season.

Devaughn Cooper earned the Thomas S. Pirro Award for character and coachability. Cooper, the first known player in FBS history to catch a pass in seven-straight seasons, had his best statistical year ever for the Orange this year. He was the team's second leading receiver with 376 yards and hauled in 29 catches.

The Duffy Daugherty Award is presented annually to 'the player's player and coach's coach,' and this year went to defensive back Eric Coley. A sixth-year player who was a versatile member of the Orange's secondary and key special teamer, Coley played in 42 games and amassed nearly 100 tackles in his career.

Syracuse University’s Football Team Bowl-Bound, Heading to the Big Apple and the Pinstripe Bowl (syr.edu)

Syracuse University’s football team qualified for a bowl game for the first time in four years thanks to a red-hot 6-0 start that saw the Orange climb to as high as No. 14 in the national rankings.

After closing out the regular season with a convincing road win at Boston College, the Orange (7-5, 4-4 in the ACC) found out their postseason fate Sunday afternoon. Syracuse will travel to New York City and the world-renowned Yankee Stadium for a showdown with the University of Minnesota (8-4, 5-4 Big Ten) in the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl.

The game kicks off at 2 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 29, and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN.

“We’re thrilled to be invited to play in the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl,” head coach Dino Babers says. “I’m excited for our players to travel to New York City and experience all the fantastic events that come with a bowl trip as a reward for what they accomplished this year. I’m also happy that our fans will have another opportunity to see us play in our home state after all their support this season.”

Syracuse University football players with the Pinstripe Bowl logo and school logos for both Syracuse University and the University of Minnesota.

The Syracuse University football team is headed to New York City for a showdown with the University of Minnesota in this year’s Pinstripe Bowl.
Fans who are interested in making the trip to the Big Apple to cheer on the Orange are encouraged to purchase their tickets through Syracuse University Athletics to guarantee seats in the Orange’s designated fan sections. Ticket options start at $60, with discounted tickets available to all students.

Syracuse brings a perfect 2-0 record in the Pinstripe Bowl into this year’s clash, with the Orange previously defeating Kansas State by a 36-34 score in the inaugural game in 2010 and knocking off West Virginia by a 38-14 score in 2012.

Syracuse has enjoyed tremendous success playing in Yankee Stadium, sporting a 7-2 record all-time heading into the Pinstripe Bowl. This year’s squad earned the 27th bowl appearance in program history, with the Orange sporting a 16-9-1 record all-time in bowl games, including winning their last four bowl games.

2023 Syracuse Football Class Calculator (247sports.com)

PROJECTED TEAM SCORE
WITH 10 COMMITS
Add or remove players to calculate a new team ranking score.
RESETADD NEW RECRUITS

ADD NEW TRANSFERS
PROJECTED COMBINED CLASS

Keeping Up With The 315 12-5-22 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show hearing a little bit from Syracuse men’s soccer Head Coach Ian McIntyre as the team prepares for the Final Four. Then, Brian gets into this weekend’s Syracuse men’s basketball win before struggling to give away tickets to the Oakland game tomorrow. Later, he reacts to the news that the Orange will play in the Pinstripe Bowl.

On The Block On Demand 12-5-22 (RSPN; radio; Axe)

Brent Axe discusses the two sides to Syracuse’s bid in the Pinstripe Bowl. Later, he reacts to Syracuse men’s basketball’s win over Notre Dame.

Bleav in Syracuse Episode 61: Bowl Game, College Cup, Hoops Win (SI; podcast; Bleav)

Bleav in Syracuse podcast episode 61, presented by Bet Online and Hofmann Sausage Company, is out! Orange men's soccer is in the College Cup, the football team knows its bowl destination and opponent, and the basketball team picked up a big road win. Mike McAllister, Josh Crawford and Sammy St. Jean break it all down. You can subscribe and listen on your favorite podcasting platforms as linked below.

ACC News

Expert Analysis: Structural Problems; Lacking Complementary Approach (247sports.com; podcast; Ashley)

This week on The Day After podcast, Jason Staples and Buck Sanders dissected and discussed the Tar Heels' loss to Clemson in the ACC Championship game and offered their take on what's next for a football program that is sliding backwards to end the season.

Scroll down for excerpts from their comments on the show ...

DEFENDING CLEMSON'S CADE KLUBNIK

Buck Sanders: "Cade Klubnik threw the ball only 81 yards ‘in the air.’ He totaled 279 passing yards, so most of them came after the catch. For UNC, you're not going to beat too many teams that way. He wasn't throwing bombs downfield. You don't hit 20 out of 24 for over 80 percent if you're trying to drop the ball in a bucket 40 yards downfield every time. He was doing it with short and immediate passes and Carolina just could not get anybody on the ground after the catch. They just got torched after the catch.
"Point number two would be zero sacks. Zero quarterback hurries. How much pressure do you think Klubnik felt when nobody got close enough to him to even have a quarterback hurry, let alone sack? Carolina, and this is not directly related to the pass rush, but they only had two tackles for loss. Meanwhile Clemson's aggressive defense had four sacks, eight quarterback hurries and seven tackles for loss. Clemson was getting pressure on North Carolina, and North Carolina was getting no pressure on Clemson.
"If you don't get pressure on the quarterback at all, and you can't tackle anybody after the catch the ball, anybody is going to look good. They put their third string in and he went 5-for-5, right? I mean, in order to limit a quarterback, you've got to have some form of defense. You have got to be able to get somebody on the ground. And you've got to get some pressure on the guy. So congratulations to Klubnik for winning an ACC Championship, but North Carolina could not have made it any easier for him than they did."

Clemson football QB DJ Uiagalelei on why he entered the transfer portal (yahoo.com; Keepfer)

Clemson quarterback DJ Uiagalelei officially entered the transfer portal Monday.

He made his declaration on Twitter.

Forever Thankful pic.twitter.com/EVgNLBvKAj
— DJ Uiagalelei (@DJUiagalelei) December 5, 2022
“God has brought me to this special place for a reason and I wouldn’t trade my time here for anything,” Uiagalelei said. “I am very thankful and appreciative of the staff, trainers and my coaches for believing in me and pushing me every day to be the best I can both on and off the field.

“The relationships I have built with everyone in the building will last a lifetime and I am forever thankful for that. Lastly, I want to thank all my teammates. The brotherhood we have at Clemson is something special. The relationships I have built with guys on the team run much deeper than football.

“After careful consideration I would like to say that I have decided to enter the transfer portal.”

NC State football QB Devin Leary to enter transfer portal (fayobserver.com; Holland)

Preseason ACC Player of the Year Devin Leary announced on Twitter on Monday morning that he will enter the transfer portal instead of returning to NC State for his final year of eligibility.

"2022 did not go as expected," Leary's tweet began.

The Wolfpack quarterback suffered a torn pectoral muscle that ended his season in the third quarter of a 19-17 win over Florida State on Oct. 8.

After throwing for 35 touchdowns last season, Leary had 11 touchdowns, four interceptions and 1,265 yards in 2022.

NC State true freshman MJ Morris, graduate transfer Jack Chambers and third-year QB Ben Finley started games under center after Leary's injury — the first time in program history the Pack has had four different starting quarterbacks.

The Wolfpack finished 8-4 overall and earned a Duke's Mayo Bowl berth to face Maryland at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte on Dec. 30 (noon, ESPN).

Jordan Travis announces return to Florida State for 2023 season (tomahwaknation.com; Staff)

Florida State football received major news for the 2023 season today, with quarterback Jordan Travis announcing his return to Tallahassee for one more year in a Seminoles uniform:

Travis, who began his career with the Louisville Cardinals, transferred to Florida State for the 2019 season. He earned a sixth year of eligibility as part of a blanket decision by the NCAA in 2020.

Despite appearing in just 37 games over his time in Tallahassee and becoming a full-time starter for the first time this season, he’s the only player in Florida State history to be top 10 in both passing and rushing touchdowns.

Travis was named to the All-ACC second team on Tuesday after putting together a career season in 2022.

From FSU Sports Info:

· Redshirt junior Jordan Travis is the first player in Florida State history with at least 20 touchdown passes and 7 rushing touchdowns in a season and he enters the Cheez-It Bowl with 30 total touchdowns - 22 passing, 7 rushing and 1 receiving.
· Travis is the fourth player in FSU history with at least 3,000 total yards and 30 total touchdowns in a season - the previous came in FSU’s three Heisman Trophy-winning seasons: Charlie Ward in 1993, Chris Weinke in 2000 and Jameis Winston in 2013.
· Travis was named the All-ACC second team quarterback after passing for 2,796 yards and 22 touchdowns, with 367 yards and 7 rushing touchdowns. He started all 12 games and has led FSU on a five-game winning streak, the Noles longest since 2016. FSU has scored at least 38 points in all five of those games, FSU’s longest streak since 2013.
· Travis accounted for three touchdowns against Florida (two rushing and one passing), his sixth consecutive game with three or more touchdowns and one or fewer turnover. That is the longest active streak in the country and is the longest streak in Florida State history. Travis tied his career high with two rushing touchdowns in back-to-back games against the Gators and Louisiana.
· Travis is one of six Power 5 players with at least 20 passing touchdowns and four or fewer interceptions. He has led FSU to an ACC-best five 30-point victories this year.

Ranking the 41 college football bowl games from best to worst (28. Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4)) (gopherhole.com)

per Yahoo Sports:

28. Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse (7-5) vs. Minnesota (8-4)

Syracuse started the season 6-0 before a miserable second half. The Orange lost five straight before closing out the regular season with a win over Boston College that assured a winning record in 2022. Syracuse has an excellent running back in Sean Tucker, but Minnesota has a better one. Mohamed Ibrahim is fourth nationally with 1,594 yards and second with 19 rushing scores. On what should be a cold day in New York City, the Gophers likely will try to ride Ibrahim to victory.

Ranking the 41 college football bowl games from best to worst

Welcome to college football bowl season! It's the most glorious time of the year.
Go Gophers!!

2022-2023 college football bowl game watchability rankings (usatoday.com; Zemek)

It is one of the more fun articles any college football blogger gets to write every year: the watchability rankings for all the bowl games.

There are always some “dogs with fleas” matchups, and there are always some “ooooooh, I can’t wait to watch that one” matchups. There are other matchups which fit in between, the kinds of games where one says, “It’s not great, it’s not terrible, but it’s a bowl game, and it’s college football.

Let’s look at the bowl schedule and the 2022 bowl games through the prism of which games are most — and least — watchable. The bad bowls will be dealt with in a bundle, precisely because they’re not worth discussing in greater depth:

THE LEAST WATCHABLE BOWLS

42 — Arizona Bowl, Ohio-Wyoming
41 — Lending Tree Bowl, Rice-Southern Miss
40 — Boca Raton Bowl, Liberty-Toledo
39 — Quick Lane Bowl, Bowling Green-New Mexico State
38 — Potato Bowl, Eastern Michigan-San Jose State
37 — New Orleans Bowl, Western Kentucky-South Alabama
36 — Bahamas Bowl, Miami-Ohio vs UAB
35 — Hawaii Bowl, Middle Tennessee-San Diego State
34 — Camellia Bowl, Georgia Southern-Buffalo
33 — First Responder Bowl, Memphis-Utah State
32 — Birmingham Bowl, Coastal Carolina-East Carolina
31 — Music City Bowl, Iowa-Kentucky
30 — New Mexico Bowl, SMU-BYU
29 — Frisco Bowl, North Texas-Boise State
28 — Independence Bowl, Louisiana-Houston
27 — Myrtle Beach Bowl, Marshall-UConn
26 — Armed Forces Bowl, Baylor-Air Force
25 — Celebration Bowl, Jackson State vs. North Carolina Central

GUARANTEED RATE BOWL

Wisconsin vs Oklahoma State
Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz entered the portal, diminishing the level of intrigue surrounding this game.

PINSTRIPE BOWL

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Hard to predict a winner, which makes this game interesting, but there probably won’t be much offense.

Sources: Arkansas, Sam Pittman targeting ACC strength coach for Razorbacks program (footballscoop.com; Brice)

Sources: Arkansas, Sam Pittman targeting ACC strength coach for Razorbacks program

Pittman is working to reunite with former Georgia colleague Ben Sowders

Sam Pittman is dipping into his past for help shaping the future of Arkansas football.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop Monday that Pittman is targeting University of Louisville’s Ben Sowders as the Razorbacks’ next director of strength and conditioning. It’s the same role Sowders presently holds for the Cardinals.

But Pittman and Sowders are not strangers. Sowders spent the four previous seasons at the University of Georgia, where he first worked with Pittman and where Sowders also helped the Bulldogs to the 2021 College Football Playoff championship.

Sowders, who’s also worked at Georgia Tech and Southern Miss, among other stops, also has trained NFL athletes prior to his foray into the collegiate strength and conditioning landscape.

If the 2022 Season had a 12-Team College Football Playoff Format (rollbamaroll.com; CV969)

Beginning in 2024, a 12-team playoff will commence. The controversial format grants automatic bids to the six highest-ranked conference champions, gives first-round byes to the highest ranked four champions, and completes the field with six at-large selections. No at-large can earn a bye.

First-round games, between seeds 5 through 12, are to be played on campus or at a location designated by the higher seed. In other words, should a team like Wake Forest get in and be a higher seed in the first round, they might be convinced to play in Carolina Panthers’ stadium rather than in the Demon Deacons’ 31,500 capacity stadium.

If a 12-team Playoff was held this season with the guidelines laid out above, the following is what it would look like under the current format:

SEEDINGS:

1. Georgia (SEC champion) - Ranked #1 by the CFP Committee
  2. Michigan (Big Ten champion) #2
  3. Clemson (ACC champion) #7
  4. Utah (Pac-12 champion) #8
  5. TCU (Big 12 at-large) #3
  6. Ohio State (Big Ten at-large) #4
  7. Alabama (SEC at-large) #5
  8. Tennessee (SEC at-large) #6
  9. Kansas State (Big 12 champion) #9
  10. Southern Cal (Pac-12 at-large) #10
  11. Penn State (Big Ten at-large) #11
  12. Tulane (Top ranked non-Power 5 conference champ) #16

On 2nd Thought: Xfer Portal (RX; HM)

On 2nd Thought: Xfer Portal

After years of players being held hostage by their college football coaches, the Transfer Portal was a welcome change - especially for those who were forced to practice with little hope of meaningful playing time. However, that's not how a lot of players are using it.

I read there are 1000 players in the Transfer Portal right now. At least half to 2/3rds will never get another football scholarship again. Even for the guys who are good enough to receive an offer from another school, what do they hope to accomplish by transferring?

Is it a desire to win a national championship? Every now and then a player transfers to the right team at the right time. Still, when you look at the two best teams this season - Georgia and Michigan - ask yourself: we're they built through transfers? And even if you could transfer to one of those teams, do you think think you'd have a realistic shot at seeing the field?

Maybe it's motivated by a desire to showcase their talent for the NFL. If you're a starter like NC State's Devin Leary, how much more showcase can you get? Really, when it comes to playing time and TV exposure, with 2 appearances on ABC, 2 on ESPN, one on ESPN2, and a pair of ACCN prime-time games... he almost has nowhere to go but down.

Is it motivated by a desire for NIL money? That could be it. If so, it's illegal for me school who is recruiting him and short-sighted (to say the least) for the player. Why not simply ask for more NIL opportunities where you were?

Rx: I would like to see one rule change - if a player transfers, he either has to sit out a year without playing, or no NIL money the first year if he does play. What we have now is total unrestricted free agency with no salary cap.

BREAKING: UL Coach Leaves for UC (RX; HM)

BREAKING: UL Coach Leaves for UC

From Yahoo! Sports: "Reports: Cincinnati hiring Louisville's Scott Satterfield to replace Luke Fickell"

According to multiple reports, Louisville coach Scott Satterfield is set to be the Bearcats’ next coach. The Cardinals went 7-5 in 2022 and are set to play Cincinnati in the Fenway Bowl on Dec. 17. That bowl game just became a heck of a lot more intriguing...
With Satterfield heading north, most Louisville fans’ eyes will also turn north towards Indiana and Purdue coach Jeff Brohm. The former Louisville quarterback has long been the dream coach for many Cardinal fans and said in May that it was a “tough call” to stay at Purdue in 2018 when Louisville was looking for a coach and ultimately hired Satterfield...

ACC Pride 2022 Dec 3rd (RX; HM)

ACC Pride 2022 Dec 3rd

From the official ACC "Points of Pride" released on December 2, 2022...

ACC

The ACC has five programs ranked either No. 1 or No. 2 in their respective sports. Teams earning a No. 1 or No. 2 ranking in a major poll are:
  • North Carolina field hockey (No. 1 – NFHCA)
  • NC State women's cross country (No. 1 – USTFCCCA)
  • Florida State women's soccer (No. 1 overall seed – NCAA Tournament)
  • Virginia women's swimming (No. 2 - CSCAA)
  • Wake Forest women's golf (No. 2 - WGCA)
The ACC's collective high level of academic success is again reflected by the NCAA Graduation Success Rate (GSR) report released on Nov. 15. The ACC’s average graduation rate of 93.1 percent is more than a point above the conference’s average GSR achieved a year ago and is more than four points higher than this year's national average of 89 percent.

ACC nominee Jaeda Daniel of NC State is among nine finalists for the 2022 NCAA Woman of the Year Award. The NCAA Woman of the Year Award was established in 1991 to recognize graduating female student-athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves in academics, athletics, service and leadership throughout their collegiate careers. For the first time in the award's history, the Top 30 honorees will be celebrated, and the Woman of the Year named at the NCAA Convention. The 2023 Convention will take place in January in San Antonio, Texas.

The ACC, SEC and ESPN announced the formation of the ACC/SEC Challenge for men’s and women’s basketball, which will begin as part of the 2023-24 season. ACC and SEC teams will square off as part of the annual Challenge – one in men’s basketball and one in women’s basketball. Each one of the 28 games (30 starting in 2025-26) will be carried on an ESPN platform and each conference will host an equal number of home games.

RevelXP, the revolutionary fan experience and hospitality company for sports and entertainment brands, has announced that the company has been selected as the first-ever Exclusive Experience Partner for the ACC. As part of the multi-year agreement, REVELXP will create, sell, and host premium hospitality experiences for the Subway ACC Football Championship Game beginning with the 2022 game in Charlotte on December 3.

In conjunction with the 2022 Subway ACC Football Championship Game, the ACC and the College Football Playoff (CFP) Foundation have announced they are funding $75,000 in classroom resource projects in three local markets - Chapel Hill (home of Coastal Division Champion North Carolina), Clemson (home of Atlantic Division Champion Clemson) and Charlotte (host city of the ACC Title Game). The projects are designed to meet teachers' needs in area schools, including classroom supplies and mental health resources.

Football

The ACC Network will air (via tape delay) the ACC Football Honors production on Dec. 9 at 7 p.m.
Including shared titles, Clemson has earned nine Atlantic Division titles – 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2022. Clemson also earned an ACC Championship Berth in a 2020 when the league competed without divisions. Clemson has now won 21 ACC titles, including six in a row from 2015-2020.
North Carolina has won five ACC titles, but the last came in 1980.
The 2022 Subway Atlantic Coast Conference Football Championship Game was the final title game between division champions. A new football scheduling model will go into effect beginning with the 2023 season that eliminates divisions. The new model is based on a 3-5-5 structure whereby each team will play three primary opponents annually and face the other 10 league teams twice during the four-year cycle, once at home and once on the road. The schedule allows for each team to face all 13 conference opponents home and away at least once during the four-year cycle.
This is the 13th time in the last 14 years that the game will be held in prime time, and 12 different teams have competed in the game since it began in 2005. Last season, No. 15 Pitt, behind the play of ACC Player of the Year Kenny Pickett, captured its first ACC football title with a 46-21 victory over No. 16 Wake Forest.
Bank of America Stadium, home of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, has been the site of 11 of the last 12 ACC Football Championship Games. In 2018, the ACC and the Charlotte Sports Foundation reached an agreement to keep the game in Charlotte through 2030. Not including the 2020 game, which had limited attendance due to the pandemic, ACC Football Championship Games played at Bank of America Stadium have had an average attendance of nearly 70,000 fans. The ACC has the second-highest average attendance of any Power 5 conference championship game since 2010.

Atlantic Division vs. Coastal Division Notes:

.537 – Atlantic Division owns a .537 winning percentage over the Coastal Division all-time, the closest record between Power 5 divisions.

Atlantic Division has won 11 of the 16 ACC Championship Games
All seven Coastal Division teams have reached the ACC Championship Game, and four Atlantic Division schools played in the game.

College Football Playoff to expand to 12 teams beginning in 2024 (fbschedules.com; Kelley)

The College Football Playoff will expand to 12 teams beginning in 2024, it was officially announced on Thursday.

The new 12-team playoff was initially announced in September with a start date for the 2026 season. A few hurdles remained in order to kickoff the new format in 2024, which were cleared up this week. Chief among those was an agreement with the Rose Bowl.

“We’re delighted to be moving forward,” said Bill Hancock, Executive Director of the College Football Playoff. “When the board expanded the playoff beginning in 2026 and asked the CFP Management Committee to examine the feasibility of starting the new format earlier, the Management Committee went right to work. More teams and more access mean more excitement for fans, alumni, students and student-athletes. We appreciate the leaders of the six bowl games and the two future national championship game host cities for their cooperation. Everyone realized that this change is in the best interest of college football and pulled together to make it happen.”

Below is information on the new format from the College Football Playoff release:

1. The first round of the playoff in 2024 will take place the week ending Saturday, December 21, at either the home field of the higher-seeded team or at another site designated by the higher-seeded institution. (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7, and No. 9 at No. 8). The specific game dates, likely late in that week, will be announced later.

2. For the 2024 and 2025 seasons, the four quarterfinal games and two Playoff Semifinal games will be played in bowls on a rotating basis.

3. The 2024 quarterfinals will take place in the Fiesta Bowl, Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, while the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl will host the Playoff Semifinals.

4. The 2025 quarterfinals will take place in the Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, while the Fiesta Bowl and Peach Bowl will host the Playoff Semifinals. Specific dates for all quarterfinal and semifinal games will be announced at a later time.

5. The national championship games will be played January 20, 2025, in Atlanta, and January 19, 2026, in Miami.

“On behalf of the Management Committee and the Board of Managers, this is thrilling,” Hancock added. “It’s been a long process, but we are pleased that more teams and more students will have the opportunity to compete for the national championship beginning in the 2024 season. A new era of college football is about to begin. I look forward to it.”

“This is a great day for college football,” said Mark Keenum, President of Mississippi State University and chairman of the CFP Board of Managers. “I’m glad we are able to follow through and launch the expanded playoff early. It’s very exciting for schools, alumni and everyone involved.”

Other

75XMU6MC7JECFCGGDYPIOXZAGQ.jpg

An ACC Network travel show profiling Syracuse will highlight the local beer scene, including the reintroduction of the historic Congress Beer at Willow Rock Brewing Co. (Don Cazentre)

Beer, BBQ and snow: ACC Network to air ‘3 Day Weekend’ show highlighting Syracuse (PS; Cazentre)

A travel show that offers viewers a look at the towns that are home to Atlantic Coast Conference sports teams is about to debut its feature on Syracuse.

It will mention basketball, of course, but also showcase a heavy dose of beer, barbecue and snow.

The ACC Network’s “3 Day Weekend” episode on Syracuse has its initial airing at 9 p.m. on Dec. 12. That’s a Monday night on which the Syracuse University men’s basketball team hosts Monmouth at 7 p.m. The episode then goes into regular rotation on the channel.

Filming for the Syracuse episode took place last winter.

It highlights the area’s breweries and beer history, with interviews filmed at Willow Rock Brewing in Syracuse and the Brewseum at Heritage Hill Brewhouse in Pompey. It also included a visit to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que and a local ski resort.

“They filmed it last winter and they’re going to run it this winter, so it definitely seems to have a winter feel,” said Bob Searing, the curator of history at the Onondaga Historical Association. Searing was interviewed about the area’s beer history after the producers learned of the OHA’s partnership with Willow Rock to bring back Syracuse’s historic Congress Beer, a brand that had been out of production since the 1960s.

Attachments

• 1670329569229.gif
    1670329569229.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 43