Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
poinsettia-day1.jpg
Welcome to Poinsettia Day!

Poinsettia Day celebrates the beautiful red flowering plant that has come to be associated with Christmas, the poinsettia. The plant is native to Mexico, where it was used by the Aztecs; its flowers were used to produce red dye, and its sap to treat fevers. Franciscan missionaries in Mexico used it in the 17th century as part of nativity processions, the first time it became associated with Christianity. A story has been passed down about a poor Mexican girl who didn't have anything to honor baby Jesus with at a procession. An angel told her any gift from the heart was a good gift, so she gathered weeds from the roadside. When she placed them around the manger they transformed into poinsettias. In Mexico the flowers are called La Flores de la Nochebuena, or the Flowers of the Holy Night, and are displayed on December 12, the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe. This day marks the beginning of the Christmas season.

SU News

Vincent Carroll-Jackson commits to Syracuse, eyes ACC championship - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse received a commitment from fast-rising 2023 offensive lineman Vincent Carroll-Jackson on Sunday, capping a whirlwind recruitment process for the Harrisburg (PA) Dauphin East prospect.

“I’m looking forward to being a part of the (Syracuse) family,” Carroll-Jackson said in an interview with The Juice Online.

After playing only one year of football, Carroll-Jackson saw his recruitment take off. In just the last few months, he picked up offers from SEC powers Florida and Georgia, and high-majors Nebraska, Colorado, Pitt and Rutgers.

Home is where the heart is. Happy to announce I am 100% committed to Syracuse University. I got a story to tell and I’m the author.. I’m ready to write this next chapter! @CuseFootball @CoachBabersCuse @coachdlee12 @DL_theHUNT @LanceDeane @EdOBrienCFB @SportsByBLinder pic.twitter.com/RzaRhmmc5B
— Vincent Carroll-Jackson (@Vincent48487) December 11, 2022

Originally, Carroll-Jackson had an official visit to Rutgers scheduled for next weekend, but has canceled that as a result of the commitment. He also met with Syracuse defensive line coach Chris Achuff for an at-home visit during the week.

One of his goals when he arrives at Syracuse is to help the team ‘win the ACC.’

Syracuse started 6-0 this season and climbed to No. 14 in the rankings, but ultimately dropped out after a five-game losing streak. But the Orange finished third in the competitive ACC Atlantic Division, and Carroll-Jackson wants to help SU continue that momentum.

“We have the potential,” he said. “It’s time to show it.”

» Related: Fast rising prospect Vincent Carroll-Jackson ‘shocked’ by Syracuse offer

Carroll-Jackson joins a large group of incoming offensive lineman, addressing an area of need for the Orange.

Syracuse also received three other offensive linemen commitments in this cycle, including from 2023 Massachusetts OL Jayden Bass, Richmond graduate transfer Joe More, and JUCO transfer Lysander Moeolo.

joe-more.jpg

Sports Illustrated

Joe More recaps Syracuse commitment: 'It was a great situation for me' - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Syracuse football received a commitment from Richmond graduate transfer Joe More over the weekend.

The right tackle started 37 of 41 games since 2018 for the Spiders, and knew he wanted to spend his final year of college eligibility showcasing his abilities for the next level. SU will offer him that opportunity.

Committed to Syracuse University Simple @CoachBabersCuse @CoachM_Schmidt pic.twitter.com/ndzEQnGYU6
— Nolove78 (@Joe78More) December 11, 2022

“Syracuse was a great situation for me to come play and at an elite level and ultimately develop and transition into the NFL,” More said in an interview with The Juice Online. “Games are won in the trenches and this OL is gonna be something special.”

The Orange is expected to lose starting left tackle Matthew Bergeron to the NFL. Though redshirt freshman tackle Enrique Cruz Jr. did emerge as a starting candidate at the end of the season because of injuries, the 6-foot-5, 302-pound lineman from Tennessee brings size, experience and talent to that position.

“I am a very experienced and veteran player,” More said. “I’ve definitely played a lot of ball. I’m also an athletic and physical player.”

Syracuse football promotes Jason Beck to offensive coordinator after Robert Anae's departure for NC State (247sports.com; Flaherty)

Syracuse football elevated Jason Beck to offensive coordinator Friday, the Orange announce. The promotion of Beck fills the void left by Robert Anae, who left for the same job at NC State.

Beck, the quarterbacks coach for the 2022 season, engineered a big jump in Syracuse's play at the position this season. The Orange saw improvement in nearly every passing category from 2021 to '22.

Beck arrived this year from Virginia and immediately went to work, with Syracuse improving its passing efficiency from 108th a year ago to 31st this season, ranking fourth in the ACC. That included a strong year from Garrett Shrader, who finished the regular season as Pro Football Focus' seventh-ranked quarterback.

"My family and I have enjoyed our time at Syracuse and I'm thankful for this opportunity from (head) coach (Dino) Babers," Beck said in a statement through the Orange's announcement. "I appreciate the years I was able to spend with coach Anae and how he helped prepare me for this opportunity. I'm excited to get to work."

Under Beck's watch, Shrader completed 65% of his passes for 2,310 yards and 17 touchdowns to just six interceptions despite battling injuries late in the season. A year ago, he connected on just 52.6% of his throws for 1,445 yards and nine touchdowns to four interceptions.

"We're excited to have Jason as our new offensive coordinator," Babers said. "In his time here, he's already shown that he's capable of leading our offense, as well as recruiting and developing players at Syracuse."

Vincent Carroll-Jackson Commits to Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football continues to be hot on the recruiting trail. The Orange landed a commitment coveted 2023 Harrisburg (PA) Central Dauphin East offensive lineman Vincent Carroll-Jackson who officially visited over the weekend. Carroll-Jackson picked the Orange over offers from Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Pittsburgh, Nebraska and Rutgers among others. Each of his power five offers came in the last couple of months. He was scheduled to take an official to Rutgers next weekend, but will no longer to do so after committing to Syracuse.

Listed at 6-5, 285 pounds, Carroll-Jackson was recruited as both an offensive and defensive lineman by various schools. The Orange viewed him as an offensive lineman, which is where he will start his collegiate career. His primary recruiter at Syracuse was Chris Achuff, defensive line coach, who had an in-home visit with Carroll-Jackson just last week.

Carroll-Jackson is the second high school offensive lineman in Syracuse’s 2023 class and fourth overall. Jayden Bass is the other high schooler while Richmond transfer Joe More committed to the Orange on Saturday. Junior college offensive lineman Lysander Moeolo has also given a verbal pledge.

Syracuse Football: Nebraska transfer, a 4-star DB, reportedly visiting ‘Cuse (itlh; Adler)

As we all expected, the transfer portal is already extremely active, and Syracuse football is seeing developments on both ends of the spectrum, with some Orange players opting to enter the portal while ‘Cuse coaches pursue guys leaving their existing teams.

In early December, Nebraska freshman defensive back Jaeden Gould said on Twitter that he was entering the portal, with four years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Gould, out of Somerset, N.J., has played in just one game as a true freshman for the Cornhuskers in the 2022 term and took a redshirt season, per the Nebraska athletics department Web site.

I will be entering my name in the Transfer Portal with 4 years of eligibility left. pic.twitter.com/gZQ0XYF0PU
— Jaeden Gould (@JaedenGould5) December 2, 2022

According to a report from national recruiting director Adam Gorney, Gould was planning to take a visit to the Orange this weekend.

Gorney writes that since entering the portal, Syracuse football, Maryland, Kansas State, UCLA and California are the “most active schools after” Gould, who was a highly rated, four-star prospect in the 2022 recruiting cycle.

Syracuse football coaches are targeting Nebraska freshman DB Jaeden Gould.

According to recruiting services, Gould received nearly 40 scholarship offers throughout his recruiting process, and those offers included heavyweight programs such as Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Southern California, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Penn State and Texas A&M.

DOME_RENDER_COURT.jpeg

Syracuse University unveils renderings of new Dome seating (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

On Thursday, the Syracuse Orange announced that all bleachers in the JMA Dome would be replaced with chairback seats by the 2024 football season. That puts the project a year behind its original estimate, but we won’t have to wait that long to catch a glimpse at what it may look like when it’s finished.

SU Athletics released some preliminary renderings of the new blue seats. Take a look for yourself:

I'll admit that I wasn’t the biggest fan of blue seats when they were announced, but if these are a proper indication, they will make the Orange screens and logos stand out a lot better.

A few things of note:

• I realize that these renderings are not final, but you may notice how seats in the 100 level appear to have armrests and the ones in the 300 level do not. The official site for the Dome project says the following:
Exact dimensions of each seat and additional seat upgrades, such as cushioned seats and armrests, will vary depending on the section and exact location.
  • That could mean the setup will remain pretty similar to how it is now, with only the basketball side of the 200 level also receiving the seats with armrests, and padded seats located where the orange cushioned seats normally are now for football/basketball.
  • There is also some mention of new premium seating areas being added in this phase of the Dome renovations, but none are obvious here.
  • The student section and football band location seem unchanged.

‎Bleav in Syracuse: Coaching Changes Abound for Syracuse Football & Orange Soccer in the Title Game on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Bleav)

Josh, Mike and Sammy discuss Syracuse men's soccer in the National Title game and significant coaching changes for Syracuse football. The Orange lost both coordinators, so what does this mean moving forward?

ACC News

247Sports' Bud Elliott: OC Robert Anae 'a really strong hire' for NC State (247sports.com; $; Clark)

NC State is set to hire veteran offensive coordinator Robert Anae, who previously held the same role at Syracuse, according to a report from Pete Thamel on Thursday night. The news is expected to become official in the coming days as the Wolfpack looks to begin a new era with Anae at the reins of the offense.

Anae is a three-time nominee for the Frank Broyles Award, which is given annually to the nation's top assistant coach. In his 16 years as an offensive coordinator, Anae's offense has finished in the Top 25 in 10 different categories 56 times, including 21 top-10 rankings.

Following the report that Anae is heading to Raleigh, Pack Pride caught up with 247Sports' Bud Elliott -- one of the most respected voices in college football media -- to get his thoughts on Anae.

"I think the Robert Anae hire is a really nice one for NC State," Elliott said. "Honestly, I was never a huge fan of Tim Beck and what he did with the Wolfpack. With Anae -- what he did in 2021 at UVA and 2022 at Syracuse -- he's been quite a turnaround artist. He's produced some really good offenses and creatively found ways to tailor the offense to pieces you have.

"The question I'd have potentially would be how much of the new stuff he was doing should be credited to another Beck -- Jason Beck – who's staying at Syracuse to be their offensive coordinator after being the quarterbacks coach at UVA in 2021 and Syracuse in 2022? But overall, I think it's a really strong hire, and likely an improvement from what they had previously.”

Anae's success has been well-documented over a college coaching career that spans nearly 40 years. But what can State fans expect from his offense?

Virginia’s Garett Tujague set to become NC State’s new offensive line coach (backingthepack.com; Muma)

Dave Doeren moved quickly to replace John Garrison, who left Raleigh for Lane Kiffin’s staff at Mississippi this weekend. Doeren is hiring UVA offensive line coach Garett Tujague, who had also been the Cavaliers’ recruiting coordinator. (Tujague is pronounced TOO-jay, by the way.)

Tujague has good familiarity with new State offensive coordinator Robert Anae, as both worked together for Bronco Mendenhall at both BYU and UVA. Tony Elliott thought highly enough of Tujague to keep him on staff once he got to Virginia, no doubt in part because of his reputation for strong recruiting.

NC State could definitely use a boost to offensive line recruiting, and in that respect this looks like an excellent addition. Tujague did good work building that unit in Charlottesville, which became the foundation of an outstanding offense. UVA struggled up front in 2022, but replacing basically the entire starting offensive line typically will do that.

Like Anae, Tujague played in college at BYU. He has a decade of experience coaching OL at the FBS level.

Local 2023 Blue-Chip Xfers (RX; HM)

Local 2023 Blue-Chip Xfers

There are a ton of players in the Transfer Portal. According to 247Sports, 35 of them are blue-chips. Of those, 16 have hometowns in the ACC footprint states. Here are those blue-chip / native ACC players:

RkXfer Player's NameHometownFromToPosHtWt
2Fentrell CypressRock Hill, SCUVa?CB5-11179
3Devin LearySicklerville, NJNC St?QB6-1189
4Jaheim BellValdosta, GAU of SCFSUTE6-2207
8Ajani CorneliusWhite Plains, NYR.I.?OG6-4315
9Dasan McCulloughBloomington, INIUOUDE6-5225
14Rivaldo FairweatherFt Lauderdale, FLFIU?TE6-5210
16Dante CephasPittsburgh, PAKentPSUWR6-1175
17Kyle MorlockBlairsville, GAShorter?TE6-7250
18Dont'e ThorntonBaltimore, MDOregon?WR6-4185
24Jimmy Horn, JRSanford, FLUSF?WR5-9170
25Jacob LaceyBowling Green, KYNDOUDL6-2285
26Myles HintonNorcross, GAStanford?OT6-6308
30Jeff SimsJacksonville, FLGT?QB6-3205
32Ray DavisBlairstown, NJVandyUKRB5-9205
33Austin ReedSt Augustine, FLWKUULQB6-1185
35Avantae WilliamsDeland, FLMiami?S6-1198

11th hour Links 2022 Dec 9th (RX; HM)

11th hour Links 2022 Dec 9th

From "College football winners, losers of 2022 season" posted on CBSSports.com, here are the ACC-related comments (click link to read the whole article):

Winners

TCU, Tennessee, the Pac-12, Kansas, and...

Duke: Don't look now, but Blue Devils coach Mike Elko built a contender in Durham in no time flat. Duke won more games in Elko's first season (8) than the last two seasons combined (5). Every single loss came by one score, including three losses by eight total points in ACC play. Quarterback Riley Leonard jumped off the page with nearly 2,800 yards and 20 touchdowns as a first-year starter. if Elko beats UCF in the Military Bowl, he will join David Cutcliffe as the only coach since World War II to win nine games in Durham. It's incredibly difficult to win at the major academic schools. Duke hit a home run.

Losers

Texas A&M, Preseason Big 12 contenders, Alabama, and...

Miami: The dark horse ACC championship contender was anything but during a miserable 5-7 campaign, headlined by double-digit losses to Middle Tennessee, Duke and Pitt. Budding quarterback star Tyler Van Dyke regressed under ex-Broyles Award offensive coordinator Josh Gattis, and coach Mario Cristobal complained that struggles were the media's fault for setting expectations too high. Whatever the reason was, Miami won just one of its nine Power Five games by more than one score. Cristobal will lean on a strong recruiting class in 2023, but will it be enough?

Virginia Tech football recruiting: Hokies land three players Sunday for 2023 class (gobblercountry.com; Manning)

Sunday was a big day for the Virginia Tech Hokies. The men’s basketball team won at the Barclays Center — again. The No. 7 women’s team won. And the wrestling team won.

What was going on with the football team?

Virginia Tech head coach Brent Pry held perhaps the most critical recruiting weekend of his one year on the job beginning Friday as the Hokies hosted multiple visitors less than two weeks before college football’s early signing period.

Early indications are Coach Pry crushed the weekend.

As Sunday evening rolled around, Virginia Tech had three more commitments for the 2023 recruiting class, and each of the new additions plan to sign later this month. Something to note with each of these prospects is they were either committed to another school or recently committed to another school.

Let’s check out Virginia Tech’s three new additions.

WR Ayden Greene

Greene is a 6-foot-1, 167-pound wide receiver from Powell High School in Powell, Tennessee. He was previously committed to Cincinnati but backed off his pledge when head coach Luke Fickell departed for Wisconsin. The Hokies were a finalist for Greene before he committed to Cincinnati and always kept in contact. After Fickell departed, the Hokies turned their pursuit into high gear, making him a priority.

Other

VOURNHDMC5A57NYCFBJEWYO6XU.JPG

The Landmark Theatre in Syracuse has finally replaced its chairs for the first time since 1928. There are now 2,754 new seats in the historic theater. Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021. Katrina Tulloch

‘A Christmas Story, The Musical,’ Highland Forest sleigh rides, Suzanne Vega: 13 things to do this week in CNY (PS; $; Croyle)

Your holiday calendar is probably becoming full of parties, tree lightings, and visits with Santa. Add to that all the shopping, wrapping, and baking and there might not seem to find anything around town for entertainment. Well, we are here with some suggestions. This week’s list includes plenty of holiday music and favorites like a live, musical version of “A Christmas Story” and “The Polar Express” on the big screen of the Landmark Theatre. Suzanne Vega performs in Homer and comedian Dave Landau is at Destiny’s Funny Bone Comedy Club. If you are looking for something calmer and more tranquil, you can schedule a sleigh ride at Highland Forest or a Winter Solstice Night Hike at Baltimore Woods.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at least two weeks in advance at features@syracuse.com.

Tuesday

Landmark Theatre Holiday Champagne Tour

Learn about the rich history of Syracuse’s Landmark Theatre on Tuesday with an in-depth tour of the venerable theater. Experience it in all of its holiday splendor without the crowds. There will be snacks and beverages and an opportunity to be photographed on the famous stage. The tour starts at 5:30 p.m. Space is limited. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster for $50. Proceeds will benefit Landmark’s Improving Arts Access Fund.

Where: 362 South Salina Street, Syracuse
When: Tuesday at 5:30 p.m.
How much: $50 plus fees

Last edited:
Two blue chip players from NJ and one from NY in the Transfer Portal... will 'Cuse grab any of them?