Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to President's Day!

Presidents' Day is officially known as Washington's Birthday, and is a holiday to honor the first president, George Washington, who was born on February 22, 1732. It is a federal holiday, as well as a state holiday in many states. In 1800, the year after Washington's death, the day became an unofficial day of remembrance. The centennial of his birth was a particularly important day of celebration, and the Washington Monument went under construction in 1848. Congress and President Rutherford B. Hayes made Washington's Birthday a holiday in 1879. Originally only federal offices in Washington D.C. were closed, but this was expanded to all federal offices in 1885. At this time the holiday was observed on Washington's actual birthday.

SU News

1676897385886.jpeg

Twitter

Syracuse Football: 2024 QB, to visit again, such high-character young man (itlh; Adler)

I’m a big fan of 2024 quarterback Jacob Zamot from New Jersey, and I hope that in the near future, he receives a scholarship offer from Syracuse football.

My admiration and respect for the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Zamot, a talented and underrated dual-threat quarterback, really centers on who he is off of the field, although his skill level on the field is readily apparent.

When I see Zamot on social media, he is always humble, kind and polite. He has high character. He works hard and takes nothing for granted.

Love this so, so much. Jacob is a talented 2024 QB and more importantly, a tremendous young man. High character. Humble. Hard-working. Need to see an Orange offer soon. https://t.co/sPrkyMIMAA
— InsideTheLoudHouse (@LoudHouseFS) February 13, 2023

Not too long ago, Zamot noted on his Twitter page that he was scheduled to host a quarterback clinic for kids aged eight to 12 years old on Saturday, Feb. 18. How cool is that?

Syracuse football is showing interest in 2024 quarterback Jacob Zamot.

If we move on to the field, Zamot put forth a tremendous junior year for Millville High School in Millville, N.J.

Zamot, one of the top quarterbacks in New Jersey, played a key role in Millville going 12-2 in its 2022 campaign. The Thunderbolts capped off this stellar season by claiming the first-ever New Jersey Group 4 state championship.

In the 2022 stanza, Zamot completed around 60 percent of his pass attempts and threw for 3,180 yards in the air, according to the MaxPreps Web site.

He posted 27 passing touchdowns against just five interceptions. Deservingly so, as the 2022 season culminated, Zamot picked up numerous awards and honors for his performance.

While at this juncture he doesn’t have an offer from the Orange, the Syracuse football coaching staff certainly has interest in him. Last September, Zamot visited the ‘Cuse and was in attendance when Syracuse football beat Virginia, 22-20, at the JMA Wireless Dome.

Syracuse Football: Four Orange football players who will step up in 2023 (itlh; Fiello)

Former Syracuse football star running back Sean Tucker has announced he intends to enter the NFL draft. So has Garrett Williams while his secondary teammates Duce Chesnut and Ja’Had Carter have left. Matthew Bergeron is also primed and ready to go pro. So many Orange fans are wondering what’s next and what players will step up and contribute.

Now let me start this by saying all of those players above were stars and will be missed. I wish them nothing but success and happiness.

And in no way is this a post that belittles their achievements. However in sports, whether you’re a coach or a player, when one person goes, someone must step up and I think these four Syracuse football players will in the 2023 campaign.

Here are four players who I believe will step up for Syracuse football in the 2023 season.

Let’s start with running back LeQuint Allen. Far too often when a player leaves, fans or analysts often try to compare them to their predecessor (in fact, I’m told that’s why 44 had to be retired because nobody could compare to the big 3).

But I think we should take each player individually and not compare them and in this case, having watched Allen in a couple of games here and there including the Pinstripe Bowl (where he had 15 rushes for 94 yards along with 11 receptions for 60 yards) so I’m excited to see him play more. LeQuint was a Gatorade New Jersey player of the year and his ability to rush and catch will prove valuable for QB Garret Shrader next season.

With Bergeron gone, the offensive line will need a new leader and my money is on Chris Bleich to step up. Bleich has the experience including his freshman season at Florida before injuries played a role and he eventually left for Syracuse.

And with new Offensive Line Coach Steve Farmer on board from success at Tulsa, Bleich could be the leader Coach Farmer needs to rely on to bridge the gap from last year to this year.

It would be easy for me to say Marlowe Wax Jr. will be one of the big leaders now on defense and most fans would know I’m right. But there is also one name let me remind you that is coming off an injury and is hungry to get back…Stefon Thompson.

Thompson suffered a season-ending injury in the first game of the 2022 season and was to be a big asset to the defense after an impressive 2021 season. If healthy, Stefon and Marlowe will lead a young but talented linebacker squad that could produce yet another NFL combine invitation sooner rather than later. If healthy and if I were a gambling man, I’d put my money on hearing his name mentioned a lot next season in regards to leading defensive categories for the team and the ACC.

And last but not least I truly think Justin Barron will be a key component in the secondary. Barron truly seemed to find his groove as the 2022 season progressed and though Syracuse football lost in the Pinstripe Bowl, he took advantage of the opportunity and had a career-best in solo tackles that game. With three big-impact secondary players no longer in Orange, there will be a lot of potential for players to prove themselves and number one on my list is Barron.

This is just me speculating here and I might be wrong. I also left off names like Shrader, Oronde Gadsden II, and Caleb Okechukwu because I think those three most fans know are capable of being leaders. I also left off Rob Hanna, Anwar Sparrow and Francois Nolton Jr. who also could be big contributors.

Not to mention transfers and freshmen who might see the field often as well. But these four are players I truly believe when 2023 ends, will be in the discussion for the next level or at least leading the team statistically. April 21st is the spring game so hopefully, we can get more of a glimpse then but for now, I’m riding with these guys for sure.

Syracuse celebrates improvements at Lally Athletics Complex: ‘Today sends a message’ (PS; $; Carlson)

Syracuse University opened a new entrance to one of its primary athletic facilities on Friday, holding a celebratory ribbon-cutting and naming ceremony inside the John A. Lally Athletic Complex and delivering a message that more much-needed improvements are on the way.

The entrance is the first part of a larger overhaul that will upgrade the spaces where Syracuse athletes spend much of their time. The school believes it will close the gap that Syracuse faces with much of the ACC when it comes to athletic facilities.

Former Syracuse football player John Lally and his wife, Laura, kick-started that effort with a pledge of $25 million that was celebrated by the school in 2019.

The new entrance to the complex, which includes Manley Field House, offices for coaches, academic spaces and wings devoted to basketball and football, provides a more impressive welcome for athletes and recruits.

The next phase of the project is expected to include a new football operations center, Olympic sports wing and centers for nutrition and sports medicine. The school hopes to begin work on that portion of the project this summer, although the final timeline will depend on fundraising efforts.

ACC News

Ranking ACC football teams by 2023 projected SP+ Rankings (usatoday.com; Turri)

The 2023 college football season is some time away though talking about football and looking towards the future will always be a thing with ESPN’s resident analytics expert, Bill Connelly, coming with the very early 2023 projected SP+ Rankings (subscription required) for all college football teams this past Tuesday.

As one would expect, Clemson is high on this list, though, unlike last season’s opening, they are not the highest projected SP+ team in the ACC. While it is always fun to compare the Tigers against the Nation, the ACC is due for an interesting season with teams such as Florida State, North Carolina, and more all looking to dethrone the Tigers in 2023 and take over the conference.

As a reminder, the SP+ Rankings consider things like returning production, recent recruiting, and historical success. Still, it’s not an exact formula by any means. It is Connelly’s little bit of magic where Connelly breaks down the pieces we don’t all know much about.

Anyway, here is a look at all fourteen ACC teams as ranked by the early, projected SP+ Rankings for 2023.

No.76 Virginia Cavaliers

Breaking Down the Numbers

Projected SP+: -4.8
Offensive SP+: 15.4 (No. 120)
Defensive SP+: 20.2 (No. 21)

No.72. Boston College Eagles

Projected SP+: -3.2
Offensive SP+: 21.7 (No. 87)
Defensive SP+: 24.9 (No. 53)

No.70 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Projected SP+: -3.2
Offensive SP+: 22.0 (No. 86)
Defensive SP+: 24.4 (No. 51)

No.69 Virginia Tech Hokies

Projected SP+: -2.1
Offensive SP+: 21.5 (No. 89)
Defensive SP+: 23.6 (No. 44)

No.59 Syracuse Orange

USATSI_18985721.jpg

Credit: Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

Projected SP+: 2.4
Offensive SP+: 26.5 (No. 66)
Defensive SP+: 24.1 (No. 48)

ESPN Releases 1st College Football 2023 Preseason *Top 25* (youtube.com; video; DG)

ESPN Releases 1st College Football 2023 Preseason *Top 25*

Mock Draft 2023 Feb 19 (RX: HM)

Mock Draft 2023 Feb 19

From SI's "2023 NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Three Quarterbacks Picked in Top 10"
NFL free agency begins March 15 - that could change the order of the draft, of course, but for now here are the author's mock draft picks. Note: There are only 31 picks, because the Dolphins have forfeited their first-round pick in 2023. [I've included the OP's comments only for ACC-related players; to read the rest, click the link above. - Hokie Mark].

1. Chicago Bears: Jalen Carter, IDL, Georgia
2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
3. Arizona Cardinals: Will Anderson Jr., edge, Alabama
4. Indianapolis Colts: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
5. Seattle Seahawks (via DEN): Tyree Wilson, edge, Texas Tech
6. Detroit Lions (via LAR): Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
7. Las Vegas Raiders: Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
8. Atlanta Falcons: Myles Murphy, edge, Clemson
Improving their pass rush has been a perennial need for the Falcons, who rank last in the NFL with only 39 sacks over the past two seasons combined. Grady Jarrett led the team with six sacks in 2022. Murphy has an ideal combination of size, length, power and first-step quickness. The true junior is one of the younger prospects in this draft class and has plenty of long-term upside as he continues to put it all together.
9. Carolina Panthers: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
10. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO): Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
12. Houston Texans (via CLE): Jordan Addison, WR, USC
13. New York Jets: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
14. New England Patriots: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama
15. Green Bay Packers: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs are coming off productive rookie seasons, and Mayer would give Aaron Rodgers (or Jordan Love) another weapon in the passing game. Mayer has an all-around skill set with the ability to play in-line and was the focal point of Notre Dame’s passing offense, leading the team in receiving three years in a row.
16. Washington Commanders: Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
18. Detroit Lions: Bryan Bresee, IDL, Clemson
Double-dipping with defensive picks in the first round is a distinct possibility for the Lions. While Detroit ranked top five in both total and scoring offense in 2022, it ranked last in total defense and only the Bears (27.2) and Cardinals (26.4) allowed more points per game than the Lions (25.1), who also ranked 28th in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric for defense. Rookies Aidan Hutchinson (9.5) and James Houston (eight) combined for 17.5 sacks last season, but Bresee has the quickness and power to be a disruptive three-technique for the Lions.
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
20. Seattle Seahawks: O’Cyrus Torrence, IOL, Florida
21. Los Angeles Chargers: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
22. Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
23. Minnesota Vikings: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
25. New York Giants: Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
26. Dallas Cowboys: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
27. Buffalo Bills: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
28. Cincinnati Bengals: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
29. New Orleans Saints (via SF/MIA/DEN): Lukas Van Ness, edge, Iowa
30. Philadelphia Eagles: Keion White, edge, Georgia Tech
White played tight end for Old Dominion in 2018, transitioned to defense in ’19 and then ODU didn’t play football in ’20. He transferred to Georgia Tech for the ’21 season and had his most productive season (14 TFLs and 7.5 sacks) in ’22. While he’s relatively new to the defensive side of the ball, he’s extremely athletic for a 280-pound edge defender. Considering the way the Eagles rotate their defensive linemen, Philly would have the benefit of utilizing White in a way that maximizes his development.
31. Kansas City Chiefs: Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

COMMENTS:

Only 3 ACC players - 2 from Clemson, 1 from GT - and a single Notre Dame player is in this mock draft. Of course, that could change (even though the season is over), but it reveals the fact that there aren't a lot of quality players coming out of the ACC this year (in part because many are returning).

Overrated? 20 college football teams we aren't sold on in 2023 - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Gold)

What is college football without outsized expectations and even bigger nachos? Hope springs eternal at several schools — too much hope, in some cases.

The hype train has come to Boulder and Tallahassee, State College and College Station. How many of the most-discussed teams will end up in the College Football Playoff? Well, 4, at most. But in actuality, maybe 1.

Here’s a list of the top 20 teams we’re not all the way bought into for 2023…

1. Florida State

The Seminoles have become a chic pick to make the jump into Playoff contention in 2023. They created the buzz by winning their final 6 games and having most of their top players, including quarterback Travis Jordan and elite pass rusher Jared Verse, return. Now all they have to do is live up to the expectations. We’ll know early if they’re up to the task. They take on LSU in Orlando on opening day. — Brett Friedlander, columnist for Saturday Road

2. Texas A&M

The ultimate “I’m not buying the hype” team in the SEC has been A&M. It all depends on what you believe is fair for the Aggies on the heels of a disastrous 5-7 season. If you want to sell me on A&M starting in the Top 25, to me, I don’t think that’s justified at all. You don’t get to go 2-6 in SEC play and then start in the Top 25 like nothing happened, especially when we’re talking about a program that hasn’t played in a conference championship game in the 21st century. But the Aggies are, however, the most obvious SEC team to have a multi-win improvement because they were so horrific last year and they rank No. 1 in the SEC in percentage of returning production. I’d still argue that’s a bit more of a “wait-and-see” situation. — Connor O’Gara, columnist for Saturday Down South

3. Colorado

It’s fair to say that Coach Prime owned the offseason. Deion Sanders parlayed a 2-year gig with Jackson State into a cushy head coaching job at Colorado, which finally seems — ahem, primed — to re-enter the national football conversation. The Buffaloes rebuilt their roster in Prime’s image, adding his son, Sheduer, at quarterback, while reeling in one of the best transfer portal classes in college football. Let’s not pretend Travis Hunter isn’t a stud to the highest order. But Rome wasn’t built in a day, and Colorado won’t be, either. Undoing the mess that Karl Dorrell caused will be a big task for Sanders, who appears up for it. — Jon Gold, columnist for Saturday Out West

4. Tennessee

I believe Tennessee is worthy of offseason buzz. Hence, why I put the Vols in my top 10 to start 2023. But if someone tells me that they’re about to break through and become the 4th SEC program to make the Playoff, I’ll push back on that. In the final year of the 4-team Playoff, you still need to be staring at 1 loss going into conference championship weekend. Alternatively, you need to have possible wins against Alabama and Georgia on your 2-loss résumé like 2017 Auburn did and 2022 LSU could’ve had if it won the conference title (that wasn’t close).

I don’t believe Joe Milton can be that consistent. That’s the issue. Hendon Hooker couldn’t even be that consistent, and he was one of the best players in the sport. But the combination of Milton and a somewhat inconsistent Vols defense has me lowering their ceiling to a New Year’s 6 bowl, and not a Playoff berth. — Connor O’Gara, columnist for Saturday Down South

5. Penn State

Penn State will almost certainly be a preseason top-10 team and might even crack the top 5. And while the Nittany Lions will most assuredly be the 3rd-best team in the Big Ten, I think they’ll probably finish the season closer to 15th nationally. Quarterback Drew Allar and a young group of receivers are bound to have some growing pains, and that could result in dropping a game or two out of the blue. If there’s a in Monte Carlo or somewhere that you can place money on Penn State making the 12-team Playoff in 2024, I’d go all-in. But I think we’ll see that the Lions are a year away from being a true top-5 team. — Alex Hickey, columnist for Saturday Tradition

6. Clemson

The Tigers are always going to be in the preseason conversation because of what they’ve accomplished over the past decade under Dabo Swinney. And the hype has grown exponentially with the arrival of Garrett Riley as their new offensive coordinator. But as good as everyone thinks Cade Klubnik can be, he’s still an untested 1st-year starter with an uninspiring set of receivers. — Brett Friedlander, columnist for Saturday Road

7. USC

Until Lincoln Riley fixes the defense, the Trojans will be a permanent fixture on the all-hype list. As great as Dorian Singer and Marshawn Lloyd may be, giving Caleb Williams more offensive weapons is like giving Margot Robbie a good toothpaste. The smile is doing all the work there. And speaking of work, the Trojans needed a defensive facelift, and they didn’t get one. Alex Grinch isn’t the guy to rescue them from the depths — too big-play oriented and nowhere near disciplined enough. So yeah, Williams may run back the Heisman to become only the second two-time winner, but what did that mean last year? A Cotton Bowl loss to Tulane. — Jon Gold, columnist for Saturday Out West

8. Texas

The day there’s not hype surrounding Texas will be the day when pigs fly. Of course, much of that hype is based on Arch Manning’s arrival in Austin. As a Quinn Ewers believer, I’m hopeful that we see him stay healthy and spin it like the guy who looked like he was figuring things out before he got hurt in the first quarter against Alabama. But if we’re talking about Texas as a preseason top-10 team or a viable Playoff candidate, that’s where I draw the line. Bijan Robinson ran through more tackles than anybody. He covered up some offensive deficiencies that the Horns had up front. I’m going against my own rule here because while I believe Texas should improve offensively with a healthy Ewers, I worry about some of the peaks and valleys in what should be an improved, expanded Big-12. Combine that with the Week 2 trip to Tuscaloosa and I believe Texas is much more of an 8-9 win team in 2023. — Connor O’Gara, columnist for Saturday Down South

9. Oklahoma

In 2022, I bought the Oklahoma hype. Or rather, I bought the belief that the Sooners could win the Lincoln Riley breakup. I sold myself on Brent Venables running a defense that ranked in the Top 20 in percentage of returning production combined with a Dillion Gabriel-led Jeff Lebby offense. And then 6-7 happened. I get it. It was Year 1. Judging Year 1 coaches is almost always premature. But if there’s hype that we’re about to see a return to glory from Oklahoma, which just signed the No. 4 high school class and loaded up in the portal, I don’t believe that things are about to change overnight. Maybe I’d feel differently if Oklahoma weren’t sitting in the bottom half of FBS in percentage of returning production on the heels of its worst season of the 21st century. — Connor O’Gara, columnist for Saturday Down South

10. Florida

A lot is riding on the shoulder of Wisconsin transfer Graham Mertz, but did anyone see Florida in the Las Vegas Bowl against Oregon State? The Beavers — the Beavers?! — simply ran them off the field. They embarrassed the Gators. Sure, Florida was without a ton of starters in that game, but come on. Woof. Even with a lot of returning production and the arrival of a solid replacement for Anthony Richardson, this still feels like at most an 8-win team. — Jon Gold, columnist for Saturday Out West

11. North Carolina

The Tar Heels have a legitimate Heisman Trophy candidate in Drake Maye and they’re going to get a lot of love because of it. But it takes more than a talented quarterback to make a winning team. Remember how things went 2 seasons ago with Sam Howell? Unless Mack Brown and his staff can do something to improve the offensive line and the ACC’s worst defense, the Tar Heels won’t get anywhere near a return trip to the ACC title game. — Brett Friedlander, columnist for Saturday Road

PFF's list of top returning safeties in 2023 includes 4 ACC standouts - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Stone)

PFF released a list Saturday naming the top returning safeties in college football next year, with 4 ACC standouts cracking the list from 2 separate teams.

Miami landed a pair in the top 5: No. 2 Kamren Kinchens and No. 4 James Williams. Clemson also had a pair of returning players on the list, ranked No. 6 and No. 10: Andrew Mukuba and R.J. Mickens.

See the full list below:

The Top- Returning Safeties in College Football, per @Chad_Maxwick pic.twitter.com/tr6NtvcXxq
— PFF College (@PFF_College) February 18, 2023

Miami and Clemson were the only 2 schools that had 2 representatives, and combined the ACC has the most players on the list.

Kinchens is the most impressive player on this list from the ACC. He finished tied for 3rd in the nation with 6 interceptions in 2022, also totaling 5 pass breakups with 59 tackles and 1 forced fumble.

Cade Klubnik is key to Clemson football being elite again (saturdayblitz.com; Peterson)

for gbo

Clemson football has fallen off in recent years and a national title revival could be led by former five-star QB Cade Klubnik.

Not long ago, Clemson football was viewed as the elite of the elite in college football. But since the departure of Trevor Lawrence, the Tigers just haven’t been the same.

They have still been pretty damn good compared to the standards of most of college football. The Tigers won the ACC championship last season and despite losing to Tennessee in the Orange Bowl, most teams wish they were Clemson football.

Yet, you have to wonder if the Tigers can get back to where they were a few years ago. Trevor Lawrence and Deshaun Watson delivered two national titles in three seasons. At the very least, Clemson football used to be automatic in the playoff sort of like Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State.
It’s been two years in a row now that the Tigers have failed to make it. That opened the door for Cincinnati and in 2022, two Big Ten teams made the playoff for the first time.

Cade Klubnik is the key for Clemson

You wonder if Clemson football can back to winning national championships or if that part of the Dabo Swinney era is over. The next two years will be critical and a big reason for that is former five-star quarterback Cade Klubnik is set to take over for the 2023 season.

Klubnik played extensively in the ACC title game and the No. 1 overall QB in the 2022 class started in the Orange Bowl. Clemson lost that game but Klubnik got great experience and finished the season with 100 pass attempts.

Klubnik completed 61 percent of his passes. He only threw two touchdown passes compared to three interceptions but he’s got the look of a future first-round pick.

Clemson has continued to recruit the quarterback position well and with Garrett Riley coming to run the Tigers’ offense from TCU, Klubnik is poised for a breakout season and was recently mentioned by 247 sports’ Chris Hummer as a player set to emerge in 2023.

Riley did wonders for Max Duggan last season and the opportunity to work with Klubnik had to be a drawing point for Riley, who is the brother of Lincoln Riley.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/clemson-football-newcomers-watch-tigers-2023 (athlonsports.com; Kinne)

for gbo

It's become a bit chaotic when analyzing additions to college football teams. With some programs, the transfer portal is more important than pulling in high school prospects on National Signing Day. Combined with NIL, times have certainly changed and just about every college football entity is adapting to a new era.

And then there's Clemson. When it comes to transfers, Dabo Swinney has taken a hands-off approach and seems content with building his team the old-fashioned way. Whether Swinney's strategy will pay off in terms of wins on the field remains to be seen, but it is what he believes is the right thing to do.

Still, there will be new players making an impact at Clemson this season. Here are five that Tiger fans should be especially interested to follow.

T.J. Dudley, LB

It was definitely a coup when Clemson went to Montgomery, Alabama, last year and signed the four-star linebacker that had offers from the in-state Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers and several other major programs. Dudley played in just four games this past fall, preserving a year of eligibility, and with Trenton Simpson moving on to the NFL, he should get an opportunity to play.

Tomarrion Parker, Edge

Clemson is losing Myles Murphy and K.J. Henry at defensive end and though there is experience still remaining at the position, Parker is talented enough to make an impact right away. Another Alabama native, the Phenix City product held offers from the Crimson Tide and Auburn as well as powers like Georgia and Ohio State.

Collin Sadler, G

Despite redshirting last year, Sadler made his mark on the practice field, putting himself in position to earn playing time in '23. Mitchell Mayes started the last few games of the season at left guard and he will most likely assume that position this fall. But Sadler, a four-star prospect in the class of '22, will not go down without a fight.

Other

DTCGEFWU75DQ7E6WF3O5MXOGF4.jpg

Lockheed Martin’s TPY-4 radar in the anechoic chamber at the company’s Electronics Park campus in Salina. (Lockheed Martin)

Lockheed Martin to hire 300 in Salina, swelling workforce to biggest in 10 years (PS; $; Moriarty)

Lockheed Martin Corp. plans to hire 300 people in Salina in 2023, bringing the workforce at the defense contractor’s suburban Syracuse campus to its highest level in 10 years.

Chandra Marshall, Lockheed’s vice president of radar and sensor systems and general manager of the Salina plant, said the hiring will fill new engineering and manufacturing positions. Most of the new jobs will be in engineering, including system, software, hardware, power, radio frequency and mechanical engineers, she said.

Lockheed created 150 new jobs at the plant last year, bringing its workforce to 2,000 people, she said.

The 300 additional jobs that will be created this year will bring the workforce to 2,300, the most since 2013 and matching its previous employment high in Salina, according to Marshall.

6R72BYHLJVB4NAEYDUNRTC5Z7Q.jpg

Proposed zoning regulations in Syracuse would encourage the development of row houses, such as these on Hawley Avenue, and other styles of affordable housing.

Syracuse redefines what makes a home: granny flats, row houses and other affordable housing (PS; $; Knauss)

To renew city neighborhoods, Syracuse is looking to bring back retro housing styles it abandoned long ago, like the row house and the granny flat.

By allowing these and other new housing options, city officials hope to accelerate housing development and create a wider mix of homes that more people can afford.

That’s a major focus of ReZone Syracuse, a sweeping revision of city zoning rules that has been in the works for six years. Planners hope to finish up and get Common Council approval by this spring.

One way to get more housing is to allow more kinds of housing -- to reimagine the buildings and rooms that can be someone’s home. The city’s plan could uncork new varieties of housing in every neighborhood.

If ReZone passes, a homeowner could establish a rental unit in, say, a converted backyard shed or an addition onto their single-family home. A developer could build a row of townhouses in any residential neighborhood.

The city’s plan also requires, for the first time, at least a few affordable apartments in every large new apartment building.

ReZone introduces the concept of “mixed-income development,’’ where a percentage of the units must be leased at below-market rents to income-qualified tenants. Other cities have adopted similar rules, often referred to as “inclusionary zoning,’' but income-based zoning would be new for Syracuse.

Working with city lawmakers, planning officials have tried to revise the city’s land use rules in a way that promotes a greater variety of housing, especially for residents who struggle with the cost.

RISING STAR AWARD, UNIVERSITY DIVISION
Tyler Cady – Syracuse University, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications

Tyler Cady joined the athletic communications staff at Syracuse in July, 2014 and currently is the media relations contact for football, men’s lacrosse and cross country/track and field. He also assists in the implementation and execution of the department’s digital and social media strategy and content creation. He took over as the primary football contact in 2020.

In his time at Syracuse, Cady has been a key factor in the growth of the social media accounts at SU. Syracuse’s men’s lacrosse account is consistently among the top men’s lacrosse accounts nationally in terms of engagement and is one of the most followed college lacrosse team in the nation. While in charge of the ice hockey, field hockey and cross country twitter accounts, each has experienced some of the largest growth in followers nationally in its respective sports. He also runs the Syracuse football program’s social media platforms and assists with the Orange men’s basketball and main department social media accounts.

Prior to his appointment at Syracuse, Cady worked as a graduate assistant at Canisius College, while earning his master’s degree. At Canisius, Cady oversaw communications efforts for women’s lacrosse, women’s soccer, cross country, track and field, swimming and diving, synchronized swimming and rowing, while assisting with men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey and men’s lacrosse.

Before graduating from Canisius in 2014, Cady earned his bachelor’s degree from the University at Buffalo in 2012.

Rising Star Award
Presented annually to CSC members – in the University Division (NCAA DI) and in the College Division (NCAA DII, DIII, NAIA, Two-year Colleges, U Sports) – with 10 years of service or less whose work at their institution, conference office or intercollegiate athletics-affiliated association and service, dedication, energy and enthusiasm to the profession make that individual a “rising star” in sports information. Voted on by the Special Awards Committee.

Anyone understand how inclusionary zoning impacts private student housing developments?