Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Ash Wednesday!

Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, observed in many Western Christian denominations. It takes place forty-six days before Easter, and may take place anytime between February 4 and March 10. Depending on denomination, it is observed with religious services, a ritual with ashes, and fasting.

In ancient times, ashes were used to express grief. The sprinkling of ashes on heads takes place in numerous places in the Bible. Christians continued the tradition as a sign of repentance. Christians in Western Europe were receiving ashes on the first day of Lent by the tenth century, although not yet in the Catholic Church. In 1091, the Catholic Church joined the ritual, after Pope Urban II ordered ashes should be given in Rome. The day soon came to be called Ash Wednesday. Some denominations stopped giving out ashes after the Reformation, sometime around 1600, but still observed Ash Wednesday as the first day of Lent.

SU News

1677071649015.jpeg

Photo: CNY Central

Syair Torrence Earns Big Rankings Boost (orangefizz.net; Eads)

Syracuse Football is off to a solid start with its 2024 recruiting class. Sure, most of the big programs have the foundation of their programs set already around this time of the offseason. However, SU is in no position to operate in such a way.

In any case, the Orange have two commits so far and one of them is perhaps a foundational piece. Local talent Syair Torrence is far and away the top commit in the class right now. Symir Torrence’s little brother is a standout receiver at nearby Christian Brothers Academy. The projected college wideout was previously an unranked recruit but was boosted big time last week.

The rising senior shot up from unheralded to a top-500 national recruit at #477. Torrence is also the 78th best pass catching prospect and a top-3 recruit in the state of New York.

Torrence committed to Syracuse back in November of 2022 and also holds an offer from Buffalo. The Orange’s other commit is Sam Cooper who pledged recently. Cooper is an unranked prospect from Pennsylvania.

Syracuse makes Top 10 for New York’s No. 1 class of 2024 prospect Josiah Brown (PS; $; Leiker)

Syracuse football is in the running to land one of the top players in the country for the class of 2024.

Brown, a four-star who plays both wide receiver and defensive back, released his Top 10 on Monday, and it includes SU. He’s the No. 1 player in New York and No. 131 in the country per the 247 Sports Composite.

If he eventually commits to the Orange, he’d be the highest nationally-ranked high school prospect Syracuse has landed in the Dino Babers era.

Top ...Wheres Home?? My recruitment is 100% open! @jgpvisuals @247sports @On3sports @Rivals pic.twitter.com/0y78Zb7wkQ
— Josiah(JB)Brown (@Brown7Josiah) February 20, 2023

The rest of Brown’s Top 10 is as follows: Michigan, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Nebraska, Miami, Duke, Penn State, Georgia and Rutgers. He stated his commitment is still open.

NHY4MO2O4FDQDDSJ5AH5TDFKX4.jpg

Syracuse offensive lineman Matthew Bergeron (60) gestures on the line against Notre Dame on Oct. 29. Bergeron is expected to be SU's top pick in the 2023 NFL Draft. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Bergeron, Williams projected for second round of NFL Draft by CBS (PS; Leiker)

Syracuse football players are creeping up in mock drafts and on big boards for the 2023 NFL Draft.

CBS’ two-round mock draft by writer Ryan Wilson projects Matthew Bergeron at No. 35 to the Indianapolis Colts and Garrett Williams at No. 61 to the Carolina Panthers.

It’s one of the higher, if not the highest, spots Bergeron has landed in a mock draft. Six offensive linemen are forecasted by Wilson to be taken before him.

Bergeron was SU’s only Senior Bowl participant and attracted attention flexing between tackle and guard during practices. He had never played the latter position during his collegiate career.

Williams’ projection is also a high one as his draft stock has been in limbo over the recovery status of his October ACL tear. He would be the ninth cornerback selected per this mock.

Keeping Up With The 315 2-21-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show with a theory on why it’s so maddening to ACC fans that the conference won’t have a large presence in the NCAA Tournament. Then, an update on Syracuse’s NFL Draft prospects and where they may land. Later, a caller has a suggestion for the Orange in terms of men’s basketball scheduling. Finally, Tim Leonard joins Brian to discuss one of the craziest college basketball stories in recent memory.

Syracuse Football: What I like about the Orange’s 2023 schedule (itlh; Fiello)

When Syracuse football and Pittsburgh announced they were playing their game this season in Yankees Stadium, many fans were left confused and/or unhappy. And while I understand the narrative, I don’t think it’s that bad to have a “specialized game” that provides a unique opportunity for broadcast/attention. In fact. I look at it as a privilege that they think Syracuse verse Pittsburgh should be a special event.

And after the news hit the fans, I looked at the rest of the schedule and I have to say…I’m excited about this upcoming season. Syracuse football will play 5 games in the month of September with 4 being home games, then spend the whole month of October on the road and finish with the game at Yankees Stadium, one game at Georgia Tech and two more home games.

Syracuse football will start at home against Colgate and Western Michigan, travel to Purdue then come back home to play Army and Clemson all in the first month of the season. I’m a huge fan of playing those Colgate and Western Michigan games first because playing at Purdue will not be easy and this gives Syracuse football an opportunity to go in there 2-0 possibly and having had 2 games to work on their timing.

There are numerous things that I like about the Syracuse football 2023 schedule.

Army football finished 6-6 last season and we know who Clemson (SU’s homecoming game) is so can Syracuse survive September with a winning record? I say yes but I’m not taking any opponent lightly including Colgate.

Where Are They Now? Former Rams linebacker Cam Lynch (therams.com; Gehman)

Leading up to the 2015 NFL Draft, Syracuse University's Cam Lynch did some scouting of his own. If the linebacker wasn't chosen, he wanted to be prepared for the possibility of free agency. But what he wasn't prepared for was being in his cell phone's dead zone at a very inopportune time.

"I had a whole list of teams that had five to seven linebackers on their roster. So step one was that they had availability when it came to the linebacker room," Lynch said. "And the funny thing that happened right after the draft finished, I was looking at my spreadsheet of the teams that I wanted to go to, and for some reason my service was not working. I don't know if somebody called. Then my agent sent me a message that said, 'The Rams are looking to move forward.'

"And then he gave me a call that went through, 'You've got to decide pretty soon here. The Rams want you. It's a great situation there.' Yeah, I had to move forward, and I'm glad their call got through and I ended up a St. Louis Ram."

Former Rams linebacker Cameron Lynch playing against the Dallas Cowboys

Former Rams linebacker Cameron Lynch playing against the Dallas Cowboys

Lynch benefited from being shown the ropes by veterans James Laurinaitis and Alec Ogletree during his rookie training camp. And from when history caught up with him, as well.

"Jo-Lonn Dunbar, his mom actually worked at Syracuse University. And she had a Boston College shirt on. They're not our rivals, but we always had problems with Boston College. Why is she wearing this shirt in our facility? And so we talked about it a little bit," Lynch said.

"Fast forward to when I get to the Rams, Jo-Lonn knew I was from Syracuse, and he said, 'Hey, do you know a lady that works there that wore a Boston College shirt? That's my mom,'" Lynch said. "And so it's a very small world because I believe I opened the door for her or something like that. He said, 'My mom remembers you and she told me you treated her well. And since you treated her well, anything you need, let me know.'

tinyurl.com/hvu8zsy8 (r1vals; Kang)

2024 linebacker Nick Parisi remembers the day well.

On June 22, 2022, Parisi was participating in Wagner's football camp when he spotted then-Syracuse defensive coordinator Tony White approaching with a broad smile.

White had just received a commitment from New York's top-rated 2023 linebacker Zyian Moultrie-Goddard from Iona (NY) Prep. With that news in mind, White threw his arm around Parisi.

"We just landed the top 2023 linebacker in New York State," White said. "Now, let's see if we can land the top 2024 linebacker in New York State."

That 2024 linebacker White was referring to was, of course, Parisi.

-
NATL
-
ST
-
POS
NICK PARISI

UNDECIDED
6'2" | 225 LBS | ILB | 2024
HOLY TRINITY
HICKSVILLE, NY
N/A

"I was shocked he even knew my name," Parisi said.

That started a recruiting relationship between Parisi and Syracuse that has carried through to present day.

Parisi was part of a large contingent of recruits, including his teammate, 2024 wide receiver Josiah Brown, on Sept. 17 when the Orange defeated Purdue, 32-29. It was a wild game that wasn't determined until the waning moments, and improved Syracuse to 3-0 on the season.

He got to meet many of the other Syracuse coaches that day, including Dino Babers "on the 50-yard line," Parisi said. "How crazy is that?"

ACC News

Lamar Jackson Headlines NFL's ACC Alumni (footballoutsiders.com; Weintraub)

Welcome to the Eleventh Annual NFL Alumni Awards! Once again I use the NFL's no-longer-pretending-to-be-amateurs collegiate pipeline to gauge major conference program strength, assess who is up and who is down at the ever-volatile pro level, and start arguments, because one thing lacking in today's sports media environment is contrived conflict!

Today the Atlantic Coast Conference takes its turn at the podium after another humdrum season on the field. Notre Dame, the kinda-sorta ACC member, is also included. (For 2012-to-2016 winners, click here.)

Boston College Eagles (18 alumni in the pros, per ESPN)

2017: Matt Ryan, QB, ATL
2018: Matt Ryan, QB, ATL
2019: Matt Ryan, QB, ATL
2020: Matt Ryan, QB, ATL
2021: Harold Landry, LB, TEN
2022: Matt Milano, LB, BUF

Landry's injury and Ryan's decomposition resulted in a wide-open race among several good candidates, including linemen Zion Johnson of the L.A. Chargers and Chris Lindstrom of the Falcons; Denver safety Justin Simmons; and Packers back AJ Dillon. But Milano was clearly first among equals, both on the field and in team success.

Clemson Tigers (32)

2017: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, HOU
2018: Deshaun Watson, QB, HOU
2019: Deshaun Watson, QB, HOU
2020: Deshaun Watson, QB, HOU
2021: A.J. Terrell, CB, ATL
2022: Trevor Lawrence, QB, JAX

Cincinnati's Clemson alums Tee Higgins (WR) and D.J. Reader (DT) were outstanding, and running back Travis Etienne of the Jags; Terrell and defensive tackle Grady Jarrett of the Falcons; and Mike Williams (WR) of the Chargers all were worthy. But the Tiger's Paw Trophy was a foregone conclusion once Lawrence shook his long locks and washed Urban Meyer right out of his hair, en route to a seventh-place finish in DYAR.

Duke Blue Devils (12)

2017: Ross Cockrell, CB, NYG
2018: Matt Skura, C, BAL
2019: Daniel Jones, QB, NYG
2020: Daniel Jones, QB, NYG
2021: Laken Tomlinson, G, SF
2022: Daniel Jones, QB, NYG

Jones may have at long last warmed the hearts of Giants fans, if not lived up to his draft status. But he has always been a Blue Devil Trophy favorite, and his improved play was scarcely required to earn his third award given the laughable state of Dukies in the pros.

Florida State Seminoles (23)

2017: Jalen Ramsey, CB, JAX
2018: Derwin James, S, LAC
2019: Jameis Winston, QB, TB
2020: Jalen Ramsey, CB, LAR
2021: Jalen Ramsey, CB, LAR
2022: Brian Burns, DE, CAR

Multiple strong contenders emerged for the Flaming Spear, including Minnesota running back Dalvin Cook; Philly defensive end Josh Sweat; La-La Land secondary stars Jalen Ramsey (Rams) and Derwin James (Chargers); and Chiefs run-stuffer Derrick Nnadi. Burns took the trophy with a 12.5-sack campaign. Advantage … Burns.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (14)

2017: Shaq Mason, G, NE
2018: Shaq Mason, G, NE
2019: Darren Waller, TE, OAK
2020: Darren Waller, TE, LV
2021: Shaq Mason, G, NE
2022: Shaq Mason, G, TB

Not much competition coming out of the Flats these days, allowing for Shaq to ramble to his fifth Wreck Trophy and second straight.

Louisville Cardinals (10)

2017: Sheldon Rankins, DT, NO
2018: Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL
2019: Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL
2020: Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL
2021: Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL
2022: Lamar Jackson, QB, BAL

Not many pro Cards out there, but multiple aces, including Jets defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins and Green Bay corner Jaire Alexander. But even in a season truncated by injury and overshadowed by a contract dispute, Lamar Jackson's positional advantage makes him the clear winner of his fifth straight award.

Miami Hurricanes (30)

2017: Calais Campbell, DE, JAX
2018: Calais Campbell, DE, JAX
2019: Calais Campbell, DE, JAX
2020: Calais Campbell, DE, BAL
2021: Denzel Perryman, LB, LV
2022: Gregory Rousseau, DE, BUF

The Ibis Trophy saw a pitched battle between defensive ends at opposite ends of their careers: second-year man Rousseau and veteran Campbell, still going strong in Year 15. Youth wins out in this case, with the Francophile surname winning over the Francophile given name.

North Carolina Tar Heels (19)

2017: Julius Peppers, DE, CAR
2018: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, CHI
2019: Robert Quinn, DE, DAL
2020: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, CHI
2021: Robert Quinn, DE, CHI
2022: James Hurst, T, NO

Starting 16 games is enough for Hurst to claim the Tar Heel over an incredibly weak group of alums. At least UNC hoops ended Coach K's career with a wallop!

North Carolina State Wolfpack (20)

2017: Philip Rivers, QB, LAC
2018: Philip Rivers, QB, LAC
2019: Joe Thuney, G, NE
2020: Philip Rivers, QB, IND
2021: Joe Thuney, G, KC
2022: Joe Thuney, G, KC

Thuney repeats in a close victory over a pair of Bengals defenders, tackle B.J. Hill and linebacker Germaine Pratt, a result that mirrored Cincinnati's incredibly painful loss in the AFC title game.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish (44)

2017: Harrison Smith, S, MIN
2018: Quenton Nelson, G, IND
2019: Ronnie Stanley, T, BAL
2020: Quenton Nelson, G, IND
2021: Zach Martin, G, DAL
2022: Zach Martin, G, DAL

The usual high-impact candidates—Nelson, Smith, Stanley—underachieved or were injury-impacted in 2022, allowing Martin to cruise to a repeat Irish Trophy, his fourth since 2014.

Pittsburgh Panthers (20)

2017: Aaron Donald, DT, LAR
2018: Aaron Donald, DT, LAR
2019: Aaron Donald, DT, LAR
2020: Aaron Donald, DT, LAR
2021: Aaron Donald, DT, LAR
2022: Tyler Boyd, WR, CIN

Donald only managed 11 games, although they were of his usual high quality. That threw the race open for challengers such as Pittsburgh rookie quarterback Kenny Pickett (likewise, too few games); Cards running back James Connor (decent season in the desert wastes); Bills corner Dane Jackson (a good but not great season, like that of his team); and Jets safety Jordan Whitehead (namesake of a zit). They fell short even of a damaged Donald, but Boyd did not, finishing 15th in DYAR, ahead of his far more ballyhooed teammate Ja'Marr Chase. Donald's streak of seven straight Panther Trophies comes to an end in what might have been his final season.

Syracuse Orange (12)

2017: Chandler Jones, DE, ARI
2018: Chandler Jones, DE, ARI
2019: Chandler Jones, DE, ARI
2020: Justin Pugh, G, ARI
2021: Chandler Jones, DE, ARI
2022: Zaire Franklin, LB, IND

Jones had won the Orange every year but one since they have been handed out, but his late-season injury allowed Franklin and his 102 tackles to steal the award away.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article269911697.html (thestate.com; Holloway)

Former South Carolina tight end Jaheim Bell is headed to the ACC. Bell on Monday announced a commitment to the Florida State Seminoles, he announced on Twitter.

He thanked his fans and his coaches in the 45-second video he posted. Bell caught 56 passes for 757 yards and seven touchdowns in 30 games as a Gamecock.

He spent a lot of time as a running back this year as well, with 73 attempts for 261 yards and three scores on the ground.

He announced his decision to enter the transfer portal last Monday. Bell is from Lake City, Florida, about an hour and 45 minutes from the FSU campus. “I will be taking my talents back to the crib,” Bell said in the video. “Go ‘Noles.”

Louisville Football Schedule 2023: Analysis, Breakdown, 3 Things To Know (CFN; Staff)

Louisville football schedule 2023: Who do the Cardinals miss on the ACC schedule and what are 3 things to know?

Louisville Football Schedule 2023: 3 Things To Know

Sept 1 at Georgia Tech

Sept 7 Murray State

Sept 16 at Indiana

Sept 23 Boston College

Sept 29 at NC State

Oct 7 Notre Dame

Oct 14 at Pitt

Oct 21 OPEN DATE

Oct 28 Duke

Nov 4 Virginia Tech

Nov 9 Virginia

Nov 18 at Miami

Nov 25 Kentucky

Louisville Football Schedule What To Know: Who do the Cardinals miss from the ACC slate?

So who did Louisville send a balloon bouquet to for this ACC schedule?

It has to play Notre Dame as one of the conference-not-conference games, but there’s no Clemson, no Florida State, and no North Carolina or Wake Forest. There’s no Syracuse, either, but all that matters is missing the Tigers and Seminoles – those should be the ACC’s top two teams.

Louisville Football Schedule What Really Matters

Seriously, could Jeff Brohm be handed a nicer welcoming gift?

Beyond missing a slew of the ACC big guys, there aren’t two road games in a row and there’s just one away date after October 14th.

Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Miami are all going to be better, but that’s a run of three straight games against teams that didn’t go bowling last year. In all, just five teams on the slate went to bowl games and Notre Dame and Kentucky are coming to Cardinal Stadium.

Louisville Football Schedule What To Know: What does it all really mean?

Eight wins. Start with that with this schedule and hope for more from there.

Starting the season at Georgia Tech will be a tone-setter, but win that – none of the September games are against teams that went bowling – and a 4-0 start is a must before dealing with NC State, Notre Dame, and Pitt.

Florida State Football Schedule 2023: Analysis, Breakdown, 3 Things To Know (CFN; Staff)

Florida State football schedule 2023: Who do the Seminoles miss on the ACC schedule and what are 3 things to know?

Florida State Football Schedule 2023: 3 Things To Know

Sept 3 LSU (in Orlando)

Sept 9 Southern Miss

Sept 16 at Boston College

Sept 23 at Clemson

Sept 30 OPEN DATE

Oct 7 Virginia Tech

Oct 14 Syracuse

Oct 21 Duke

Oct 28 at Wake Forest

Nov 4 at Pitt

Nov 11 Miami

Nov 18 North Alabama

Nov 25 at Florida

Florida State Football Schedule What To Know: Who do the Seminoles miss from the ACC slate?

It’s … interesting.

There are a whole slew of configurations for everyone’s schedule in the ACC. Some have to play Notre Dame, some have five conference games, and everyone’s road situation is seemingly different.

Florida State packs its trips in two week packs, but more on that in a moment.

It doesn’t catch any major breaks in who it misses from the ACC. Not playing NC State is great, and not having to face North Carolina is a plus, but Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Virginia would all be big underdogs against the Noles.

That, and …

Florida State Football Schedule What Really Matters

At Clemson.

Fortunately for FSU, in the new world of the no-division ACC it’s okay to drop the date in Death Valley and still be in the conference title chase. The trip to Clemson comes right after a winnable game at Boston College, and that’s it for the true road games until late October.

Clemson Football Schedule 2023: Analysis, Breakdown, 3 Things To Know (CFN; Staff)

Clemson football schedule 2023: Who do the Tigers miss on the ACC schedule and what are 3 things to know?

Clemson Football Schedule 2023: 3 Things To Know

Sept 4 at Duke

Sept 9 Charleston Southern

Sept 16 Florida Atlantic

Sept 23 Florida State

Sept 30 at Syracuse

Oct 7 Wake Forest

Oct 14 OPEN DATE

Oct 21 at Miami

Oct 28 at NC State

Nov 4 Notre Dame

Nov 11 Georgia Tech

Nov 18 North Carolina

Nov 25 at South Carolina

Clemson Football Schedule What To Know: Who do the Tigers miss from the ACC slate?

The Tigers don’t have just enough tough games to make it an interesting schedule, but the ACC run isn’t too bad.

Florida State has to come to Death Valley. That’s the big one. Win that, and everything else should be fine.

It would’ve been nice to miss the Seminoles, though. They’re on the slate, but Pitt isn’t. That’s the one good team to miss, with Boston College, Virginia, and Virginia Tech three relatively easy teams the Tigers don’t get to face. Louisville almost certainly would’ve been a win, but that’s a potentially dangerous offensive squad to skip.

Clemson Football Schedule What Really Matters

Beat Florida State, and get to the week off in mid-October – most likely – 6-0.

And then … game on.

Clemson only plays back-to-back road games once, and it just so happens to be against Miami and NC State right after that midseason break. Follow that up with Notre Dame, and with North Carolina and the trip to South Carolina to close – with Georgia Tech thrown in there – and there’s no real break over the last six weeks.

Clemson Football Schedule What To Know: What does it all really mean?

Clemson might not be above a clunker somewhere along the way, but Florida State, at Miami, at NC State, Notre Dame, North Carolina, at South Carolina. Any of those game could be where the season takes a hit, and it wouldn’t be shocking if there are two losses among those six.

But it’s Clemson. It’s going to expect to go into the final weeks with a shot at the College Football Playoff. With this schedule – helped by just three road games from the opener until the finish – it’s not bad even with those nasty dates to deal with.

https://thespun.com/acc/clemson-tig...rutally-honest-admission-on-playoff-expansion (thespun.com; Rosvoglou)

Back in September, the CFP Board of Managers voted on a 12-team format that'll go into effect in 2024. Apparently, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney isn't a huge fan of that decision.

Swinney appeared on Greg McElroy's Always College Football show to discuss the future of the sport.

While on McElroy's show, Swinney revealed that he's not a fan of expanding the College Football Playoff because he doesn't think it's "healthy" for players to suit up for 17 games.

"You mean to tell me we got to start in July and we’re going to finish later in January? Oh and we just beat Alabama and now we gotta go play Georgia next week? You know, or you beat Ohio State, Alabama and now you gotta go play Georgia? And these are guys that have pro aspirations, and until you’ve been through a season of 15 games at this level, it’s hard to really have that perspective," Swinney said, via The Clemson Insider. "So, the interesting thing about the whole dynamic to me, when all that was coming about – I gave the feedback but nobody listens.

ACC + Pac Still Talking... (RX; HM)

ACC + Pac Still Talking...

It looks like the ACC and the Pac-12 10 really are considering a tv partnership similar to what we discussed earlier this week [see "A&P - can it work?"]

From Forbes "The Pac 12’s Leadership Needs To Ink A New Media Deal Then Start ACC Merger Talks.", here are some highlights (and my comments) - first, a summary of the Pac-12 situation:

...Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff goal is to work with Amazon, ESPN, and a few potential mystery partners in the hopes of beating the Big 12 deal done with Fox and ESPN that pays about $31.7 million per school for the next six years. At the moment new Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has not hidden his plans to expand west and look at the possibility of adding some Pac 12 members.
...Meanwhile, it is expected that sometime perhaps no later than April San Diego and SMU will be invited to join the Pac-12 For now two seems to be where the Pac-12 will stop and then take time to consider other potential members.
Now, some interesting advice from a media consultant:
“...there is no reason for any of the Pac 12 members including the “Four Corner Schools to leave the conference at this point,” says Florida-based media consultant Jeff Edwards. “What the conference needs is to stay together and quickly ink a new four- or five-year media rights deal as we see how the college realignment saga plays out. I think that staying together and using that time to engage the ACC in talks about a future merger or alliance is in the best interest of both conferences. The chance to join the Big 12 will be there four years from now.”

2023 Carousel Winners and Losers (RX; HM)

2023 Carousel Winners and Losers

From 247Sports' "Coaching Carousel: Winners and losers of 2023" (by Brandon Marcello), here are the ACC-related entries...

WINNERS

Clemson

Dabo Swinney... deftly and quietly replaced one of his own disciples, Brandon Streeter, after only one season as play-caller... with an outsider: TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley, the architect of the flash-and-power offense of the national runner-up Horned Frogs...
Streeter wasn't ready for this level; Riley is a nice upgrade. - Hokie Mark

Louisville

Louisville fans... were openly wondering late in 2021 if [former Head Coach Scott Satterfield] should be fired. One year later, they got their wish and it didn’t cost the school a dime. Satterfield instead left for Cincinnati and Louisville hired their favorite son, former Louisville quarterback Jeff Brohm.
Ask even the most cynical Cardinals fan and they’ll tell you this is an upgrade – and at a darn good discount. Brohm isn’t just a Louisville man, he’s an incredibly successful coach.
Brohm led Purdue to a Big Ten Championship appearance last season... No team in this hiring cycle received a better deal and a bigger upgrade, and also expertly play fan service, than Louisville...
Hands down the best 2023 Coaching Carousel ride of any college football team! - Hokie Mark

Miami

Is it possible for both Alabama to upgrade its staff and Miami also improve by losing its coordinator (Kevin Steele) to the Tide?
Yup.
Miami couldn’t help but trip over itself on defense last season, allowing five games of 40 points or more, including an embarrassing 45-31 loss at home to Middle Tennessee. The performances harkened back to Steele’s failed tenure at Clemson, and it was obvious near the end of the season this Miami marriage seemed more like a quick fling...
Mario Cristobal hired Marshall defensive coordinator Lance Guidry... who also helped lead a top-10 scoring defense in south Florida at FAU, led Marshall to a top-20 finish in 15 defensive categories, including 11 in the top 10, last season. The Thundering Herd was No. 8 in total defense, No. 2 in stop rate, No. 1 in third-down defense and No. 6 in scoring.
Wherever Guidry goes, defenses improve.
This new DC may be more to the Hurricanes' liking - Hokie Mark

NC State

It’s difficult losing a veteran and record-breaking quarterback, and it seems worse when your offensive coordinator also leaves. Still, might it be possible that NC State is better in 2023 than it was in 2022 without quarterback Devin Leary and coordinator Tim Beck?
...Syracuse offensive coordinator Robert Anae is now on board after improving the Orange’s passers significantly in just one season, and after previously coaching for Bronco Mendenhall at BYU and Virginia, what he installs and calls at NC State will be fascinating to watch. Even better is he reunites with quarterback Brennan Armstrong, who he helped coach to a 4,000-yard passing season at Virginia in 2021. Can the former Cavaliers duo lead a resurgence for the Wolfpack, who ranked in the triple digits nationally in yards per play and 99th in scoring (21.8 points per game) last season?
Absolutely.
Will the Wolfpack offense return to the pass-happy days of Phillip Rivers? It'll be interesting to watch - Hokie Mark

LOSERS

Notre Dame

...Notre Dame alum [and former Offensive Coordinator] Tommy Rees left for Alabama... [replaced by a] coach already on his staff. [ND Head Coach Marcus] Freeman ended up promoting tight ends coach Gerad Parker to offensive coordinator.
Veteran offensive line coach Harry Heistand, who spent 38 years in the sport, also retired after just one year on Freeman’s staff.
The Irish made what appeared to be the right moves last year, but 2023 is starting out on shakey ground - Hokie Mark

Syracuse

...The Orange didn’t capitalize on a 6-0 start to the season, lost six of their last seven games and assistant coaches looked elsewhere for gigs with pressure mounting heading into [Head Coach Dino] Babers’ eighth season.
Babers replaced six assistant coaches, including one-half of the Virginia tandem that turned around the offense in 2022. Offensive coordinator Robert Anae, who coordinated Virginia’s explosive attack previously under Bronco Mendenhall, bolted for conference mate NC State. Defensive coordinator Tony White left for a fresh start at Nebraska.
Quarterbacks coach Jason Beck, the other half of the aforementioned Virginia tandem, was elevated to OC after upgrading the passing game from 108th to 45 nationally in efficiency... credit Babers for hiring a veteran like Rocky Long, 73, who pioneered the 3-3-5 [defensive] scheme... But is hiring Long more likely a sign of Babers’ job insecurity?
Babers won't get another 8 seasons to prove himself unless he wins more than 7 games this year, so Long's age and long-term prospects became secondary very quickly - Hokie Mark

TV Ratings, 2013-21 (RX; HM)

TV Ratings, 2013-21

Let's revisit a 2022 article today to see what we can squeeze out of it...

From 'How Many Viewers Did Your NCAA Team Attract?" posted on SicEm365.com:

Overall [TV] Ranking

...without accounting for network and competing games... the number of [tv] games since 2013 [included in this analysis]... and what they average in those games... Additionally, I took the average of a school’s top 36 games over the 9-year sample to get a snapshot of what a school’s top 4 games per year (around 1/3 of the schedule) alongside a ranking of the schools with 36 games available. If your school didn’t have 36 it shows up as “N/A” but between the game count and overall average you can calculate where they’d rank by estimating what their games without data would go for and estimate an average number with those projections.
TV, last 5 full seasons:

SchoolAll 2013-2021Top 36 (4/Yr)Top 36 Rank
Air Force30 Games0.584MN/AN/A
Alabama96 Games6.363M10.414M1
Appalachian St.27 Games0.587MN/AN/A
Arizona57 Games1.164M1.572M57
Arizona St.61 Games1.443M2.054M47
Arkansas55 Games2.73M3.266M26
Arkansas St.24 Games0.472MN/AN/A
Army24 Games3.331MN/AN/A
Auburn78 Games4.468M7.197M4
Ball St.15 Games0.635MN/AN/A
Baylor88 Games1.678M3.103M28
Boise St.72 Games0.827M1.258M63
Boston College35 Games1.564MN/AN/A
Bowling Green25 Games0.478MN/AN/A
Buffalo25 Games0.529MN/AN/A
BYU76 Games1.094M1.651M55
California57 Games1.097M1.501M60
Central Michigan17 Games0.347MN/AN/A
Charlotte5 Games0.167MN/AN/A
Cincinnati58 Games1.082M1.557M58
Clemson90 Games3.258M5.419M10
Coastal Carolina10 Games0.647MN/AN/A
Colorado39 Games1.448M1.549M59
Colorado St.22 Games0.605MN/AN/A
Connecticut31 Games0.571MN/AN/A
Duke40 Games1.084M1.185M67
East Carolina37 Games0.547M0.56M75
Eastern Michigan9 Games0.35MN/AN/A
Florida74 Games3.847M5.848M8
Florida Atlantic13 Games0.583MN/AN/A
Florida International10 Games0.102MN/AN/A
Florida St.82 Games3.312M5.589M9
Fresno St.33 Games0.697MN/AN/A
Georgia79 Games4.69M7.119M5
Georgia Southern18 Games0.269MN/AN/A
Georgia St.9 Games0.434MN/AN/A
Georgia Tech49 Games1.824M2.385M41
Hawaii15 Games0.55MN/AN/A
Houston62 Games0.951M1.409M61
Illinois50 Games1.071M1.383M62
Indiana57 Games1.918M2.868M33
Iowa81 Games2.158M3.652M22
Iowa St.79 Games1.204M2.074M46
Kansas62 Games0.627M0.876M71
Kansas St.83 Games1.121M2.008M48
Kent St.25 Games0.503MN/AN/A
Kentucky32 Games1.965MN/AN/A
Liberty4 Games0.138MN/AN/A
Louisiana Tech14 Games0.334MN/AN/A
Louisville60 Games1.951M2.855M34
LSU80 Games4.167M6.636M6
Marshall18 Games0.498MN/AN/A
Maryland54 Games1.256M1.752M52
Massachusetts6 Games0.468MN/AN/A
Memphis52 Games0.918M1.257M64
Miami76 Games2.139M3.62M23
Miami (OH)15 Games0.405MN/AN/A
Michigan81 Games4.897M7.376M3
Michigan St.79 Games3.279M5.382M11
Middle Tennessee St.12 Games0.359MN/AN/A
Minnesota57 Games1.72M2.465M40
Mississippi63 Games2.76M3.886M18
Mississippi St.62 Games2.445M3.451M25
Missouri42 Games2.516M2.89M32
Navy45 Games2.33M2.819M35
Nebraska72 Games2.454M3.863M19
Nevada24 Games0.493MN/AN/A
New Mexico25 Games0.371MN/AN/A
New Mexico St.3 Games0.167MN/AN/A
North Carolina56 Games1.699M2.355M42
North Carolina St.39 Games1.593M1.708M54
North Texas8 Games0.252MN/AN/A
Northern Illinois36 Games0.648M0.648M74
Northwestern64 Games1.685M2.714M37
Notre Dame103 Games3.839M6.236M7
Ohio29 Games0.44MN/AN/A
Ohio St.91 Games5.833M9.132M2
Oklahoma101 Games3.243M5.247M14
Oklahoma St.94 Games1.943M3.574M24
Old Dominion5 Games0.186MN/AN/A
Oregon74 Games2.521M3.755M20
Oregon St.40 Games1.124M1.214M66
Penn St.79 Games3.271M5.35M12
Pittsburgh49 Games1.668M2.08M45
Purdue58 Games1.317M1.92M49
Rice13 Games0.836MN/AN/A
Rutgers43 Games0.87M1.039M69
Sam Houston St.2 Games0.09MN/AN/A
San Diego St.28 Games0.522MN/AN/A
San Jose St.20 Games0.398MN/AN/A
SMU45 Games0.599M0.728M73
South Alabama15 Games0.42MN/AN/A
South Carolina47 Games2.555M3.079M29
Southern Miss11 Games0.541MN/AN/A
Stanford76 Games2.023M3.236M27
Syracuse37 Games1.711M1.754M51

Other

YGBZLKGUPNC5XBIFUVPHHUEA5M.jpg

People gather for the Friday fish fry at the Valley American Legion Post in Syracuse in February 2020. (Charlie Miller |cmiller@syracuse.com | File photo)Charlie Miller

Fish frys 2023: Here’s a list of community fish frys in Central NY for Lent (PS; Dellinger)

For Lent, many Central New York churches and other groups organize fish frys, many as fundraisers.

Lent begins Wednesday and runs until April 7.

Most organizations offer in-house dining as well as takeout; some offer just takeout. Most offer dinners with a choice of sides and several offer different seafood options.

Did we miss yours? Please let us know through the form at the bottom.

Cayuga County

AUBURN

S-K Post 1324 American Legion

168 State St.
315-252-5016
Days/Times: 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Feb. 24 through Apr. 7
Dine-in, take-out and car-side service available
Facebook
Price: Dinner - $16, includes macaroni and cheese, coleslaw and french fries; sandwich - $14, includes fries. Non-fish options also available

CATO

LaBuff Cole American Legion Post 911

2558 Legion St.
315-626-6737
Days/Times: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 24 through Apr. 7
Dine-in and takeout available
Facebook
Price: Dinner - prices range from $10 to $15 depending on selection

MORAVIA

VFW Post 7127

14 Adams St.
315-497-0076
Days/Times: 5 p.m. until gone, every other Friday starting Feb. 24 until Lent
Price: Dinner - $12.50, includes coleslaw and choice of french fries or mac and cheese

WOLCOTT

Wolcott American Legion Post 881

10675 Ridge Road
315-594-2122
Days/Times: 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. every Friday Feb. 17 through Apr. 7
Dine in and take out available
Facebook
Price: Dinner - $15, includes 10 to 12 oz broiled or fried haddock, coffee, potato and cole slaw

Madison County

CANASTOTA

Canastota Volunteer Fire Department

127 E. Center St.
315-697-3341
Days/Times: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 24 through Apr. 7
Facebook
Price: Varies depending on selection