Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
blog_giving-day-blue_080317_main.png
Welcome to ASPCA Day!

The American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the first animal welfare organization of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, was created on April 10, 1866. It works with shelters and humane societies across the country, with the mission of preventing cruelty to animals. Its founder, Henry Bergh, was inspired to create the organization after seeing a carthorse being beaten by its drivers. While on a diplomatic post overseas, at the behest of Abraham Lincoln, Bergh visited the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in London, which also influenced him in the creation of ASPCA.

SU News

Observations from SU's intra-squad scrimmage: QBs and RBs split time, Okechukwu stands out (DO; Smith)

Syracuse concluded its third week of spring practice with an hour-long scrimmage Saturday morning, the Orange’s offense going after the defense in front of an estimated 80 recruits and a select few media members inside the Ensley Athletic Center.

While not considered an official scrimmage — like the one SU had last Saturday, and will have again next Saturday — it still provided a glimpse of 11-on-11 football that hadn’t been seen in practice portions open to the media so far this spring. Syracuse will play its spring game in the JMA Wireless Dome on April 21.

The Orange went back-and-forth between “live” (full contact except on quarterbacks) and “thud” (no tackling) period, with backup quarterbacks Carlos Del Rio-Wilson and Justin Lamson taking turns running the offense, which improved as the morning went on.

Here are some observations from Syracuse’s scrimmage:

Lamson, Del Rio-Wilson split work

Head coach Dino Babers said Lamson and Del Rio-Wilson both graded out the exact same in last weekend’s scrimmage, with each quarterback completing over 65% of their passes. Both have spent similar time working with the first and second-team offenses this spring, always in the shadow of two-year starter Garrett Shrader, who continues to recover from offseason surgery on his right arm but has constantly been coaching the offense during practices.

On Saturday, Lamson had a much more efficient performance, completing nine of his first 10 passes, while Del Rio-Wilson finished with a completion percentage near 50%. Del Rio-Wilson opened the scrimmage from the two-yard line, but had a quick three-and-out after Caleb Okechukwu deflected a pass, the quarterback scrambled right for three yards and Alijah Clark broke up a deep pass down the left sideline intended for Isaiah Jones.

Del Rio-Wilson did convert on some longer throws later, hitting a wide-open Oronde Gadsden II for a chunk play and then Damien Alford for arguably the most impressive play of the morning. The junior wide receiver was covered tightly by Justin Barron as he ran down the right sideline, but still stuck out his right arm out perfectly, allowing the ball to drop in perfectly for an eventual touchdown.

4 observations from Syracuse football's Saturday practice (PS; Leiker)

As Dino Babers’ signature practice-ending tune “I Got You” by James Brown began blaring over the Ensley Athletic Center’s speakers, quarterback Carlos Del Rio-Wilson kicked the Syracuse football offense into high gear.

They hustled to the line of scrimmage, snapped the ball quickly and Del Rio-Wilson found Oronde Gadsden over the middle at the back of the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown.

The offensive players both on field for the play and some from the sideline erupted into cheers, music still blasting. Center Josh Ilaoa got Gadsden on his back and ran off with him toward the sideline, the latter still holding the ball above his head victoriously.

Back at the 25 yard line, Del Rio-Wilson was dancing.

SU’s offense could certainly relate to James Brown’s lyric “I feel good,” after Saturday’s practice, as it performed the best it has all spring in front of an audience.

‘Athletes Who Care’ serve up Easter meals for those in need (localsyr.com; Shtoyko)

Athletes Who Care is the Syracuse NIL that focuses on getting NIL money to SU football players. This is an example of what the athletes receiving NIL money are asked to do in exchange for the NIL money. So in many cases, if you donate to a Syracuse NIL, you will be helping SU athletes and the community...

For many student-athletes giving back to the community is something they’re used to.

“Before I was here I used to always go to things like this back where I’m from in New Jersey,” Syracuse Running Back LeQuint Allen Jr. said. “I have no problem helping the community always.”

As part of the non-profit ‘Athletes Who Care‘ student-athletes on the Syracuse Football team are able to receive compensation through name, image and likeness deals by participating in community service projects.

“We like the athletes to do community service this way so they can get a chance to see what their community is really like,” Athletes Who Care Honorary Director & Volunteer Frank Lazarski said. “When they’re stars in their own right, in their own city, they’ll remember this and hopefully they’ll carry that service on as they go forward with their careers.”

Athletes served dinner for roughly 150 people.

The dinner menu featured ham, turkey, gravy, vegetables and ice cream.

902a0bed-19d3-472a-bc3e-7406dd260409-largeScale_CAM51430_frame_0.jpeg

Was the arm surgery Garrett reportedly had actually on his wrist?

Syracuse football members serve holiday dinner at Samaritan Center (cnycentral.com; Ladd)

The Syracuse football team did not take the Holiday Sunday off, instead they gave back to the community.

Head Coach Dino Babers and a few of his players served a holiday dinner at the Samaritan Center in Syracuse on Sunday, April 9.

It's part of the "Athletes who care" initiative at Syracuse University. A name, image and likeness opportunity for the athletes, that doesn't just benefit the players but the community as well.

Syracuse Defensive End Caleb Okechukwu was one of the players on hand, seen smiling and interacting throughout the event.

"They're not just people in need but they are also fans of our team," Okechukwu said. "They are a part of our community. So to spend a couple hours with them on Sundays I think is important and very humbling."

This isn't just a one day thing for the team either. Okechukwu says he comes back to serve the community every Sunday.

Athletes who care was founded last summer to support multiple charities from combatting poverty in Central New York — to also fighting animal cruelty and providing services to the elderly.

Buccaneers NFL Draft Target: Syracuse Offensive Tackle Matthew Bergeron (bucsnation.com; Kiwak)

The Buccaneers took a big leap at the beginning of the offseason when they decided to part ways with long-time left tackle Donovan Smith.

It was not only a cap-saving procedure, as Smith’s play noticeably dipped in 2022 and forced the team’s hand in seeking a different direction. How they move forward is arguably the biggest storyline behind the upcoming quarterback competition.

Rumors have posited the idea of moving All-Pro right tackle Tristan Wirfs to the blindside and have last year’s second-rounder, Luke Goedeke, step into the starting lineup again. Or, perhaps the team invests in more high-level competition for Goedeke in this scenario.

If the right prospect presents himself, however, it seems just as likely for Tampa to invest in a left tackle of the future while keeping Wirfs at the position everyone knows he will play at. A move like this would come within the first two days of the NFL Draft, and one possibility comes from the University of Syracuse.

Could Matthew Bergeron be an option for the Bucs on Day 2? Let’s take a dive into his background.

MATTHEW BERGERON’S COLLEGIATE CAREER

The Canadian native from Quebec was a 3-star prospect who joined the Orange in 2019, and he became the first true freshman to start at tackle for the university in almost two decades.

Across four seasons, Bergeron started a robust 39 games, with 31 at left tackle and 8 at right. In the last two seasons, he started every game on the blindside for Syracuse, garnering second-team All-ACC honors in his final year to go along with team captain honors.

The 23-year-old participated in the Reese’s Senior Bowl and performed well there, putting up some excellent reps against some of the top draft talent.

Syracuse's Matthew Bergeron (6-4, 323; 33 5/8 arm) had the week he needed to have at the Senior Bowl.

Here he is vs. Auburn's Derick Hall, who is all gas off the edge.

(Also: When you see an OL/DL who played hockey, keep watching. They're probably gonna show you something) pic.twitter.com/2tCssY3bbC
— Nick Baumgardner (@nickbaumgardner) February 3, 2023

PRO DAY AND SCOUTING COMBINE

Bergeron participated in the Scouting Combine on a limited basis. He measured in at 6-foot-5, 318 pounds with 33 3/4” arms and 9 1/2” hands. His overall size and length is only modest for a tackle but within a non-concerning range, and he makes up for it with good explosiveness and agility.

Not only did he ace on-field drills at the combine and his pro day, showcasing plus balance and body control, but he also posted jumps of 30.5” in the vertical (79th percentile) and 8’7” in the broad (52nd percentile). His 3-cone time of 7.27 seconds was fantastic, sitting in the 91st percentile historically and proving to be the best number among offensive tackles in this class.

He has above-average play strength that he showed through the bench press, putting up 29 reps (top 5 for tackles this year). On the fied, he’s also an aggressive finisher who looks to bury his opposition on a frequent basis, and the Bucs have an established track record of valuing that aggressive demeanor and natural strength.

It’s been hard to pin down Bergeron’s formal visits, but SB Nation’s Nunes Magician site reported that the Buccaneers did meet with him at the Syracuse Pro Day. It’s very possible he’s spoken with the team in some capacity at the Senior Bowl and combine as well.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...es-to-prioritize-offensive-lineman-jack-small (SI; McAllister)

Jack Small was offered by Syracuse in January and the Orange has recruited him hard ever since. He has visited campus multiple times, most recently over the weekend.

"I had a fantastic time in Syracuse again," Small said. "I love how everyone is so friendly up there. It's overall a great football atmosphere. It's a great place to play football and the coaches do a good job of showing what they have to offer you and how you are going to be successful in their program."

While Small is familiar with the campus and facilities, this visit featured meetings with Syracuse coaches.

"I got to sit in on an offensive linemen meeting," Small said. "I really like the way coach Farmer coaches. I'd say the best parts were sitting down with coach Babers and getting Dinosaur Barbecue with coach Farmer."

The meeting with coach Babers was one of the most memorable part of this trip.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/kj-duff-says-visit-opened-his-eyes-to-syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Melville (NY) St. Anthony's tight end KJ Duff is one of Syracuse football's top targets this cycle. The Orange offered last October and have been in pursuit ever since. Duff returned to the Syracuse campus over the weekend for an unofficial visit.

"It was great," Duff said. "Loved my time up there. Got to go around campus a little bit. Went to dinner with coach Nunz and a few players, which was definitely one of the best parts. Saturday I got to see practice and meet with coach Babers and Nunz again to go over 'the plan' for me."

That plan was how Syracuse plans to use Duff should he choose to pick the Orange for his college career.

"They showed me a presentation of coach Beck and his past offensive schemes," Duff said. "There message was you would be the next OG (Oronde Gadsden). Come in and take over his spot. I love it. Seeing the success that OG has had and also the past players coach Beck has coached. It's definitely what I love the most."

2026 LB Daiveon Taylor discusses Syracuse offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

2026 linebacker Daiveon Taylor recently picked up an offer from Syracuse. Taylor visited Syracuse in late march and walked away with a very positive impression of the football program.

“I left very impressed with Cuse,” Taylor said. “The leaders on the team, especially the defense, let me know they are headed in the right direction. My reaction to being offered was definitely exciting and just a reassurance that I’m doing the right things.”

Taylor made an impact in his freshman season at Bishop Canevin in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The six-foot-two, 210-pound linebacker is a versatile athlete who excels as a pass-rusher. Taylor enjoyed building connections with the Syracuse coaching staff.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/aj-miller-recaps-amazing-syracuse-visit-040923 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse hosted a plethora of recruits over the weekend for unofficial visits, including class of 2024 in-state quarterback AJ Miller. Miller stars for Rye High School and threw for over 2,200 yards with 20 touchdowns last season.

"The visit was amazing," Miller said. "It was my first time on campus and I really got a good feel for it. We started the day off by watching practice and I got to see how coach Beck and coach Harris drill their QBs. It was half practice and half scrimmage. The offense is very high tempo and a quarterback's paradise. After practice, I toured the school and the football facilities. All the facilities are really good and I saw the plans for the new ones that would be done by my freshmen season and those looked unreal.

"The administrators clearly care about football and it shows. I got to spend a lot of time with coach Beck. It was first time meeting him and we really hit it off. We went over the scrimmage film and it is very important for me to have a good relationship with my OC. For me that best part was getting to speak with Coach Beck about the offense and getting a feel for playing QB for him. I really enjoyed my visit and will definitely be back soon."

The meeting with offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck was a memorable part of the trip.

"I took away what it means to play quarterback at Syracuse," Miller said. "All the resources are there to succeed but you need to put in the effort. He likes my arm talent but we need to continue this process. I have to keep working to earn my offer.

"For quarterbacks, offers will come later. You only take one, maybe two guys (each class). They did not offer me but I am on their board and they are on mine."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...-learns-from-jason-beck-during-syracuse-visit (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2025 quarterback Devin Sisler stars for New Jersey powerhouse Don Bosco at the high school level. That is why he is on the radar of schools like Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State and others. He spent Friday on the Syracuse campus for an unofficial visit.

"For my visit, we played games in the players lounge with my teammates, went in the team meeting room to hear coach Babers talk and I learned a lot more about the program and him in that meeting," Sisler said. "I think went with coach Beck, the QB coach, and went over their film and watched some tape with him. Had a great conversation with him. I then went on a campus tour where we got to see the cool parts of the campus. Then I got to suit up and take some pictures in the uniform. Then after that I talked to some more coaches and had a great conversation with coach Nunzio. I would say. my favorite part about the visit was definitely sitting down with coach Beck, watching film from practice and talking about their offense."

The 6-4, 200 pound signal caller learned how he fits in the Syracuse offense during his meeting with offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/alex-menghi-syracuse-visit-surreal-experience (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Melville (NY) St. Anthony's tight end Alex Menghi is one of the more intriguing prospects in the state. He spent part of the weekend at Syracuse for an unofficial visit.

"I got to tour all the athletic facilities and campus," Menghi said. "I was able to sit with coach Nunz for a while and talk x's and o's with him. The best part was definitely seeing all the history with Ernie Davis and the Heisman. As when I was younger watching the movie The Express and actually being able to see his Heisman was unbelievable.

"Also since I am from Long Island, seeing Jim Brown's history was amazing as well as he is also from Long Island. Finally, being able to reconnect with one of my former teammates (Josh Escobar) and meet all the coaches along with coach Babers added to a great time. Overall it was a surreal experience and I will be back up soon."

During the visit, Menghi was able to bond with his position coach Nunzio Campanile.

"Met with a bunch of the coaches but I spent the bulk of my time with coach Nunz," Menghi said. "We talked about different tight end formations, how he could see me as a hybrid in their system, blocking a lot and being able to stretch the field. We talked about 11, 12 and even 13 personnel.

BDOXL6YIAFG4PKK522J5YIR6JY.jpg

Syracuse punter/kicker Sterling Hofrichter. Dennis Nett|

Faked out: Former Syracuse punter tosses touchdown pass in XFL game (PS; Owens)

Former Syracuse University punter and kicker Sterling Hofrichter made some news with his arm on Saturday.

Hofrichter, now playing with the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL, connected with receiver Gary Jennings on a 64-yard touchdown pass on a fake punt during the BattleHawks’ 21-17 overtime win over the Vegas Vipers.

St. Louis was trailing 17-8 with 5:08 remaining in the game with Hofrichter took the snap from punt formation at the St. Louis 36 yard line. Instead of kicking, though, he found Jennings wide open on the right side and Jenkins took it all the way to make it a 17-14 game. The BattleHawks couldn’t convert a 3-point conversion attempt — yes, there are 3-point conversions in the XFL — but a field goal by Donny Hageman in the final minute sent the game into overtime.

Hofrichter’s touchdown pass is at the 11:38 mark of the video below:

ACC News

Miami football 2023 opponents spring game dates and biggest questions (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

Spring games for Miami football 2023 opponents kick off on Saturday with North Carolina State and Temple. Miami plays at Temple on September 23 and travels to North Carolina State on November 4. Temple is one of four non-conference games for Miami this season with Miami (Ohio), Bethune-Cookman and Texas A&M.

The Miami Football team will play its spring game on April 14 at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale with the game to be streamed by ACC Network Extra. All of the ACC Spring Games will be streamed by ACCNX with Virginia televised on the ACC Network. Miami hosts Virginia on October 28.

Three 2023 Miami football opponents are ranked in the SP+ top 25 rankings by Bill Connolly of ESPN. Texas A&M is 17th, Clemson 12th and Florida State 11th. The Aggies and Tigers play at Hard Rock Stadium while the Hurricanes play at the Seminoles. Those should be the three marquee games on the 2023 Miami schedule.

Spring football is a time for teams to work out question marks on their depth charts and rosters. The spring transfer portal window has been amended to April 15 through 30. Expect following the conclusion of spring practice for a plethora of players to enter the transfer portal following spring practice.

North Carolina State’s biggest spring question: The Wolfpack has reunited offensive coordinator Robert Anae and quarterback Brennan Armstrong who had great success at Virginia. Anae left for Syracuse following the 2021 season and Armstrong struggled last year. Can Armstrong regain the success he had at Virginia?

College football rankings: Top 10 preseason AP Poll projections for 2023 from Phil Steele (247sports.com; Backus)

The 2023 college football season is still a good four months and change away, but it is never too early to take a stab at predicting rankings. Phil Steele, famous for his yearly preview magazine, recently released a list projecting the top 10 teams in the first AP Poll for the 2023 season.

Georgia retains the No. 1 spot in Steele's projection, but it does get interesting after that. He has three Big Ten teams ranked in the top five — more than any other conference. Both the ACC and Pac-12 are also well-represented, though one Power Five team is notably missing.

Of course, a lot can change between now and the actual start of the season, especially with the second transfer window opening in May.

Here is how the preseason AP Poll top 10 will look, according to Steele:

10. NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH

Notre Dame may have lost offensive coordinator Tommy Rees to Alabama, but it did upgrade the quarterback position in a major way by adding Wake Forest transfer Sam Hartman. He was basically a five-year starter for the Demon Deacons, passing for 12,967 yards and 110 touchdowns in an illustrious career. He gives the Fighting Irish their best quarterback in quite some time, and will help new offensive coordinator Gerard Parker transition into the role well.

9. USC TROJANS

USC has the luxury of returning a Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback in Caleb Williams. The former five-star is drawing comparisons to Patrick Mahomes, as he thrives when the play breaks down and can make throws from any arm angle. After following coach Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma to Los Angeles, Williams led the Trojans to the Pac-12 Championship Game while amassing almost 5,000 total yards and 52 combined touchdowns. Can he take USC to new heights in what should be last year before the NFL?

8. CLEMSON TIGERS

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney made a bold move — for him, at least — and went outside his own program to bring Garrett Riley on as offensive coordinator. It was a change that absolutely had to be made. Clemson’s offense has been abysmal since Trevor Lawrence left, and Swinney’s own guys were not getting the job done. The hope is that Riley and promising young quarterback Cade Klubnik will click well and lead Clemson back into College Football Playoff contention.

7. FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES

Florida State is one of a few teams generating plenty of hype this offseason. Coach Mike Norvell entered 2022 on the hotseat and responded by leading the Seminoles to their first 10-win season since 2016, when Jimbo Fisher was still the head coach. Now the question moves from “Can Norvell get Florida State to a bowl?” to “Can Florida State beat Clemson and make it to the ACC Championship Game?” The College Football Playoff is not out of the question, but the 'Noles have to get past the Tigers first.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article274103710.html (newsobserver.com; Northam)

With a downpour of rain and temperatures dipping below 50 degrees, there wasn’t much about Saturday that felt like spring.

Except, it was the first time since December that fans saw North Carolina State’s football team take the field. The Wolfpack split up into sides — red versus white — for its annual spring football game at Carter-Finley Stadium. The red team, a unit of mostly players competing for starting spots, topped the white team, 41-10.

But in these exhibitions, the digits on the scoreboard don’t matter all that much.

“There’s obviously some things that wouldn’t have happened with a dry field, but I wanted to test the guys with what came. I think it’s an opportunity to see how they respond to something that’s out of their control,” N.C. State head coach Dave Doeren said. “I was excited about the second half, to be honest. They were wet, they were cold, and you see guys making plays. That, to me, is exciting.”

Here’s what we learned from the spring game as N.C. State’s football program gears up for its 11th campaign under Doeren this fall.

NEW-LOOK OFFENSE UNDER ROBERT ANAE

The Wolfpack changed offensive coordinators this offseason after Tim Beck left to become the head coach at Coastal Carolina. To replace him, Doeren lured Robert Anae away from Syracuse. Before helping the Orange make a bowl game last season, Anae was the offensive coordinator at Virginia, where he orchestrated a unit that was third in the nation in total offense. The starting quarterback on that Virginia team was Brennan Armstrong, who is now with the Wolfpack. “I enjoyed just getting back into this offense, playing at a new place, meeting new guys. It was just a good refresher,” Armstrong said. “There’s obviously plenty of things to work on, but just being back out there in this offense with this new team, I think it was great.” Armstrong was the first to take snaps with N.C. State’s red team on Saturday, and the unit scored on its first offensive series — a six-play drive capped off by an 8-yard run from senior back Jordan Houston.

Miami Hurricanes News: QB Judd Anderson commits, Virginia beats bats (caneswarning.com; Rubenstein)

The Miami Hurricanes football program earned its first non-special teams commitment in the 2024 class from three-star quarterback Judd Anderson on Friday. The Miami baseball team was crushed 14-2 at Virginia in a game delayed by rain on Friday night. Spring practice resumes for the football team on Saturday.

Gaby Urrutia of Inside the U reported that Anderson believes Miami is on the rise and that led to him wanting to be a part of the program. Anderson is the first commitment for new Miami Hurricanes offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson. The offense under Dawson was another attractive element for Anderson.

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/foot...the-defense-interview-watch-video-2023-roster (SI; Mire)

"That's been all our mindset from spring. We not settling this year," safety Shyheim Brown said when asked about the team heading into 2023.

Next season, the Florida State Seminoles are expected to make a run at an ACC title and potentially a playoff berth, which hasn't happened since 2014.

But that's all in the future for Brown. Right now he's focusing on improvement and the shoes he has to fill after the departure of Jammie Robinson to the NFL Draft. Robinson led the team with 99 tackles, a sack, an interception and a fumble recovery and was a presence in the locker room ever since he arrived as a transfer from the South Carolina Gamecocks in 2021.

"I've been just focusing on being a better teammate, being a better leader since I'm replacing Jammie in that big role in our defense. So I'm just trying to let my teammates know there ain't gonna be no slack off and just trying to get better from last year."

Last season was far from lackluster for the Lake City, FL native. He totaled 36 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks while making game-changing plays. Now he is taking on a bigger role and said he's up for the challenge.

Muskett working hard to be QB1 in Charlottesville (wsls.com; Johnson)

The Virginia Cavaliers fotball team is working hard to figure out who will be the man under center for next season. As spring ball continues in Charlottesville, the quarterback competition has centered around Jay Woolfolk and transfer Tony Muskett.

The 6-foot-2, 210 pound Muskett is a senior who spent his first three seasons at Monmouth. While there, he earned all-conference honors each year. Last season he started 8 games before suffering a knee injury--passing for nearly 2,000 yards and 17 touchdowns. Muskett says the biggest adjustment has been learning how to lead a new group of guys and earning their trust.

"So my first mindset was, alright I have to come in and show I’ll be a hard worker and I’m going to do my job and do everything right,” Muskett said. “So, in the winter it wasn’t as vocal for me. I was trying to be a good team player, do everything right and then little by little you earn a little respect. Once spring ball comes around you’re on the field being quarterback and you have to be more vocal and I take pride in that.”

“A guy like that is kind of like a free-agent quarterback,” said Virginia head coach Tony Elliott. “He just has to transfer the terminology. He’s played at a high level where he was at and it’s been a pretty easy transition.”

Jay Woolfolk is a name well-known in Charlottesville. He has served as the primary backup the past few seasons behind Brennan Armstrong who transferred to North Carolina State in the offseason. Woolfolk has also become a pivotal piece to the Virginia baseball program, splitting time this spring between the football and baseball fields. He’s been a key closer for the Cavaliers this season, having made 3 saves in 15 appearances.

https://collegefootballnews.com/bow...lege-football-playoff-predictions-2023-spring (CFN; Fiutak)

Oh why the heck not? It's not like anything interesting is going on in the world.

Yes, of course this is an insane exercise to do before spring football is over and without fully knowing where all of the top transfers will land. Even so, it's possible to get the records somewhat close to the pin and get a general idea of just how good everyone should be.

Keep in mind several factors before diving in.

1. These are spring bowl projections. Of course we're going to change, massage, and tweak these on the fly. So if you don't see your school here, or don't like how this looks, give it a few minutes because ...

2. The Big 12 hasn't totally locked down its bowl affiliations because of all its schools, and it's hardly alone. Most of the big ones we know, but there are way too many likely eligible teams for too few spots, and that goes for the MAC, Mountain West, and Sun Belt, too. This usually all works out and everyone gets a home.

Bowl Projections, College Football Playoff Predictions
2023 Spring

And as always ...

3. Assume a lot of this is written if erasable pencil. In the end, it's all about geography, matchups, potential ratings, and whatever ESPN wants. Will there still be the same bowls as last year? Will one or two more be added to accommodate everyone? Will all the sponsors be the same? Again, these will be adjusted on the fly.

There's no set schedule yet for the rank and file bowls, so these are in the order of last year's schedule.

Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl

Exploria Stadium, Orlando, FL
Bowl Ties: Group of Five vs Group of Five
Spring Bowl Projection: Army vs James Madison
Last Year: Troy 18, UTSA 12

HomeTown Lenders Bahamas Bowl

Thomas A Robinson National Stadium, Nassau, Bahamas
Bowl Ties: Conference USA vs MAC
Spring Bowl Projection: Middle Tennessee vs Ohio
Last Year: UAB 24, Miami University 20

SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl

Reliant Stadium, Las Vegas, NV
Bowl Ties: Pac-12 vs SEC
Spring Bowl Projection: Kentucky vs UCLA
Last Year: Oregon State 30, Florida 3

Analyst, former ACC QB says this team is '23 ACC favorite (theclemsoninsider.com; Staff)

Clemson has won seven ACC titles in the last eight years, including its latest one last season, but there’s been plenty of hype around Florida State this offseason.

And former FSU quarterback EJ Manuel, now an analyst for the ACC Network, believes it’s the Seminoles – not the Tigers – who are the favorite to win the conference championship in 2023.

“They have to be. Yes, they’re the favorite,” Manuel said in a recent appearance on the Gramlich & Mac Lain show. “You have a returning quarterback (Jordan Travis), you have a returning potential first-round pick in (defensive end) Jared Verse. You have all, minus one in Jammie Robinson moving on to the NFL, as far as the (returning) DBs. This was a top-10 rated defense. Created turnovers, created fumbles. (DB) Greedy Vance, those guys, they like to get after not only the passer but also the receivers. You got another safety coming back in Akeem Dent. So, I’m just excited for this team.”

Manuel thinks it’s ACC Championship or bust for FSU, which is entering its fourth season under head coach Mike Norvell.

The Noles haven’t claimed the conference crown since 2014, but they are coming off their first 10-win season since 2016 after winning their final six games last season to finish 10-3.

“I do believe it’s almost ACC Championship or nothing at this point,” Manuel said.

Clemson and FSU will meet again on Sept. 23 at Death Valley. Clemson has won seven straight games in its series with Florida State, dating to 2015.

ACC Winning the CFP Sooner than the Big Ten? CFB "I'd Take That Bet" Grab Bag | College Chaos Pod (yuotube; video; CBCF)

ACC Winning the CFP Sooner than the Big Ten? CFB "I'd Take That Bet" Grab Bag | College Chaos Pod

ACC Spring Football Schedule, April 7th-25th (RX; HM)

ACC Spring Football Schedule, April 7th-25th

Here's latest the ACC Spring Football Schedule update:

DATETIME (ET)EVENTPLATFORM
Wednesday, April 53:30 PMDuke Pro DayACCNX
6:00 PMACC Huddle: Spring Football PreviewACCN
Thursday, April 63:30 PMFlorida State Pro DayACCNX
Friday, April 73:30 PMNorth Carolina Pro DayACCNX
Saturday, April 81:00 PMNC State Spring GameACCNX
Wednesday, April 121:30 PMNC State Pro DayACCNX
Friday, April 147:30 PMMiami Spring GameACCNX
Saturday, April 1511:00 AMBoston College Jay McGillis Memorial Spring GameACCNX
1:00 PMClemson Spring GameACCNX
1:00 PMGeorgia Tech White & Gold Spring GameACCNX
1:00 PMPitt Spring GameACCNX
2:00 PMVirginia Spring GameACCN
2:00 PMWake Forest Spring GameACCNX
3:00 PMNorth Carolina Spring GameACCNX
3:00 PMVirginia Tech Spring GameACCNX
4:00 PMFlorida State Spring ShowcaseACCNX
Thursday, April 206:00 PMACC Huddle: Draft Analysis SpecialACCN
Friday, April 217:00 PMLouisville Spring GameACCNX
7:00 PMSyracuse Spring GameACCNX
Saturday, April 221:00 PMDuke Blue & White Spring GameACCNX
Monday, April 247:00 PMACC Huddle: Spring Football ReviewACCN
Tuesday, April 259:00 PMACC Huddle: Welcome to the NFL

AI: All-Time Best CFB Top 40 (RX; HM)

AI: All-Time Best CFB Top 40

Someone asked the AI which were the all-time best college football programs...

I asked ChatGPT to list the 40 best #CollegeFootball programs of all-time… thoughts? pic.twitter.com/wQWpkOueir
— College Football Report (@CFBRep) April 10, 2023

8 ACC Schools + ND made the cut:

2. Notre Dame
9. Miami
10. Florida State
17. Clemson
19. Pitt
20. Syracuse
22. Virginia Tech
33. North Carolina
40. Georgia Tech

If the AI says it, it must be true!

Other

B653GYONRFGETKPNLFEWOB2BJE.JPG

Paul McCartney at Syracuse University’s JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse, N.Y., Saturday June 4, 2022. Scott Schild | sschild@syracuse.com

From Santana to Sir Paul: An exhaustive look at the musical legacy of the Carrier Dome (PS; Croyle)

When the Red Hot Chili Peppers take the stage at the JMA Wireless Dome on Friday night, they’ll become part of a musical legacy that dates back to 1981 and includes scores of the most iconic names in rock ‘n roll.

It’s story is littered with great moments in Syracuse rock history.

There was the ‘Syracuse Sauna,’ a July country concert where the crowd steamed as the Dome ran out of beer. Or the time Bob Hope came and poked fun at Jim Boeheim’s sport coats. Or Mick Jagger describing the Dome like a “really large bathroom” (though his Rolling Stones would return over and over again).

The Dome is Syracuse’s most unlikely icon of rock ‘n roll. Sure, it’s the biggest indoor venue in the Northeast. But the building itself is a concrete shell with a round roof built for football games and basketball, not guitar solos and singers. Still, it’s played host to at least 72 concerts since opening in 1981, and treated Central New Yorkers to some of the world’s best performers for generations.

The Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd. Dolly Parton. The Grateful Dead. Sting. Paul McCartney. Elton John. Billy Joel. Bob Hope. U2. Snoop. Drake. Prince. And that’s just to name a few.

The early 1980s were the golden age of Dome concerts. Santana was the first artist to grace the Dome stage.

The band had sold out the Onondaga County War Memorial in 1971 and had jammed Manley Field House with 8,000 music fans in 1978. Lead guitarist Carlos Santana’s “anti-pot and anti-drug” profile Syracuse University, officials hoped, would “ward off the great clouds of marijuana smoke that floated above rock concerts in the Salt City.”

The concert is remembered mostly for the lousy acoustics of the Teflon-roofed Dome.

A concert by Journey that summer was the most attended indoor concert ever held in the Northeast. That record was short lived -- it was dwarfed by The Rolling Stones on Nov. 27 and 28.

Last edited: