Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sylvester-Graham.jpg
Welcome to Graham Cracker Day!

Whether being used to make s'mores or pie, eaten in breakfast cereal or in the shape of teddy bears, or enjoyed right out of the box, Graham crackers are a ubiquitous snack food that you likely remember eating since you were a child. While the cookie-like food is usually enjoyed as a snack, this wasn't always the case.

Reverend Sylvester Graham, a Presbyterian minister from Bound Brook, New Jersey, developed the graham cracker in the 1820s. He designed it to be a health food that was part of his "Graham Diet"—a diet he believed would eliminate lust and suppress all carnal urges, which he thought led to various maladies like insanity, epilepsy, spinal disease, and tuberculosis, and to everyday ailments like headaches and indigestion. His diet was vegetarian and also required abstaining from alcohol, tobacco, and refined white flour. His graham crackers were made with graham flour, a coarsely ground and unsifted whole-wheat flour. The flour is brown and slightly nutty and sweet, and Graham used it to make graham bread and graham crackers. The crackers were biscuit-like and somewhat bland, as they didn't include any spices or sugar.

SU News

2024 LB Jeremiah Marcelin reacts to Syracuse offer (247sports.com; Finneral)

Syracuse football recently offered versatile 2024 linebacker Jeremiah Marcelin from Norland High School in Miami, Florida. Marcelin likes what he has seen from the Syracuse football program and thinks the future is bright.

“I feel they are building a good program over there and it’s always a blessing that they offered me,” Marcelin said.

Marcelin is a three-star prospect, the 39th-ranked edge rusher in his class and the 71st-ranked player in the state of Florida. He is a very explosive athlete that can get into the backfield quickly and cause havoc. Marcelin is also impressed by the Syracuse coaching staff and thinks the team has a lot of potential heading into the 2023 season.

“The coaching staff are headed in the right direction,” Marcelin said. “They got the vision now they have to put it together.”

Marcelin has been offered by a handful of Power Five programs including Tennessee, Texas A&M, Miami, Ole Miss, Florida State, Auburn, Kentucky, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Maryland, West Virginia and others. He said he does not have a priority list yet and Syracuse stands with the rest of the schools at the moment. Marcelin is very appreciative of all the offers and interest he has received.

“It’s surreal, always a blessing,” Marcelin said. “I’ve never taken it for granted.”

Norland made it to the third round of the playoffs before being eliminated. Marcelin said the team has unfinished business heading into this season. Marcelin had a very productive junior season, finishing with 82 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 27 tackles for loss and one forced fumble. Marcelin is happy with his progress, but is looking to become even more well-rounded this season.

“I feel I became a lot more instinctive as a linebacker,” Marcelin said. “I am definitely going to improve on involving myself in coverage.”

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...lls-2024-recruiting-class-to-date-july-5-2023 (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football has a recruiting class that is 16 players strong to date, 13 of which committed after June 1st. Here is a look at how the class shapes up currently including a look at the players in the class.

BY POSITION

Quarterback: 1

Running Back: 2

Wide Receiver: 1

Tight End: 1

Offensive Line: 2

Defensive Line: 2

Linebacker: 4

Defensive Back: 3

BY STATE

New Jersey: 6

Pennsylvania: 2

Georgia: 2

Delaware: 1

Indiana: 1

Texas: 1

Virginia: 1

Washington D.C.: 1

Wisconsin: 1

BY STARS

4-stars: 2

3-stars: 14

CLASS RANKING

247Sports: 42nd

247Sports Composite: 40th

ESPN: NR (ESPN only ranks the top 25 classes)

On3: 47th

On3 Industry Average: 52nd

Rivals: 42nd

BY PLAYER

Player
: Jakhari Williams
Position: Quarterback
Height/Weight: 6-3, 190 lbs
School: First Presbyterian Day (GA)
Other Notable Offers: Coastal Carolina, Georgia Tech, NC State, Pittsburgh, UCF, Virginia Tech

Syracuse football recruit spotlight: 2024 edge rusher Tristen Graham (cbssports.com; video; Finneral)

247Sports' James Finneral highlights 2024 Syracuse edge rusher commit Tristen Graham.

Syracuse Football Recruiting is Successfully Flying Under the Radar (ornagefizz.net; Frank)

After a cycle in 2023 in which Dino Babers and the Syracuse football program finished 73rd in the nation in totality, and 91st in just high school recruiting, significant improvements were needed to replenish the talent that’s been lost on the roster. So, in June which just finished up last week, the Orange secured 12 commitments, and a 13th on July 1st. That’s pretty darn good.

What’s behind Syracuse football’s hot recruiting run? Who are the key names to know? (podcast) What's behind SU football’s hot recruiting run? Who are the key names to know?
— syracuse.com (@syracusedotcom) July 4, 2023

As things currently stand, SU’s class is ranked 39th in the nation according to 247 Sports, and that would be its highest since 2001. The players that have committed to the Orange include Jakhari Williams, a four-star quarterback from Macon, Georgia, and the 328th-ranked player in the class. On top of Williams, the Orange have six other top 1,000 players in the 2024 class. For comparison, in 2023 SU had one top 1,000 player, five in 2022, and four in 2021. So, what that tells us is that Babers and his staff are having significantly more success this go around than in previous years.

READ: Syracuse has secured a commitment from 2024 four-star QB Jakhari Williams, bolstering its post-Garrett Shrader quarterback room.Syracuse Adds 2024 4-Star QB Jakhari Williams
— Orange Fizz (@OrangeFizz) June 26, 2023

Now, things can always change, as they did with LaNorris Sellers last year. But, for the moment, Syracuse’s class is ranked 10th in the ACC, and higher nationally than teams like Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Kentucky, TCU, Auburn, Michigan State, and a plethora of other teams. Now, will that hold, probably not, but there’s still time to keep adding and striking while the iron is hot.

Syracuse Football: 4-star RB with Orange in top 8 makes college decision (itlh; Adler)

DeJuan Williams from Baltimore, a four-star running back and a top-300 national prospect in the 2024 class, has verbally committed to Maryland after having Syracuse football in his top eight.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Williams revealed his college choice via Twitter. It’s not a surprise that he has verbally committed to the Terrapins, given this Big Ten Conference squad is his hometown team.

The Orange also has verbal commitments from two running backs in its top-40 nationally ranked 2024 cycle, so I didn’t expect the ‘Cuse to prevail in Williams’ recruitment.

His top eight, announced in late May, consisted of Syracuse football, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Maryland, Oregon and Stanford.

Syracuse football didn’t win out for 2024 four-star running back DeJuan Williams.

On May 3 of this year, Williams said that he had received a scholarship offer from the Orange. According to his bio on , throughout his recruiting process, Williams has landed close to 40 offers.

Besides those in his top eight from late May, his offer sheet has included Arizona, California, two-time defending national champion Georgia, Duke, Florida, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Rutgers, Tennessee, Wake Forest and Wisconsin, among others.

ACC News

ACC coach rankings 2023: Florida State's Mike Norvell makes big leap as Clemson's Dabo Swinney remains king (cbssports.com; Backus)

Each offseason, the CBS Sports and 247Sports college football teams gets together and rank every single Power Five coach ahead of the upcoming season. While conference ranks swelled and coaching changes abounded elsewhere, the ACC -- on its face -- remained largely unchanged. The same 14 schools will compete for the conference title, and the league is set to welcome just two new coaches.

In addition, only one of those coaches -- Louisville's Jeff Brohm -- is arriving from another school. Georgia Tech, which moved on from Geoff Collins in the middle of the season, decided to promote from within.

This isn't to say that the rankings are completely unchanged from a year ago. While most names are in a familiar spot, coaches like Florida State's Mike Norvell made a significant leap after a long-awaited breakout season.

Here is a look at how all 14 ACC coaches stack up, as previously voted by the CBS Sports college football staff.

2023 ACC Coach Rankings

Clemson
Dabo Swinney (3 overall): It is a testament to Swinney's absurd level of success that the last couple of years at Clemson could be considered a "disappointment." In 2021, the Tigers missed out on the ACC Championship Game for the first time in seven years, and last year they fell just short of the College Football Playoff. Most programs would kill for the consistent 10-win campaigns Swinney pumps out whether it means playoff contention or not. Last year: 1 in the ACC

Wake Forest
Dave Clawson (15 overall): Wake Forest's record for career wins as a head coach is set at 77, a mark held by both D.C. Walker and Jim Grobe. Smart money says that Clawson, who has already piled up 59 wins through just nine years, breaks that record at some point. If he sticks to his pace of 8.5 victories per year over the last four seasons (excluding the COVID-shortened 2020 campaign), it probably will not take him much time to become the Deacons' new all-time wins king. He has already garnered more bowl appearances than any other coach in program history with seven straight. Last year: 2 in the ACC

Florida State
Mike Norvell (19 overall): It was not long ago that folks were drumming up hot seat talk about Norvell. He managed just eight wins over his first two seasons, and the Noles' 2021 outing was marred by a loss to FCS Jacksonville State. It is hard to blame fans for losing some patience. So Norvell made a huge statement -- and probably saved his job -- by winning 10 games last season, falling just short of downing perennial challenger Clemson. Based on that strong showing, and a roster teeming with returning talent, folks around FSU are talking College Football Playoff. Crazy how quick things change in college football. Last year: 9 in the ACC

North Carolina
Mack Brown (22 overall): It is hard to assess where things really stand with modern Mack Brown. He is one of a few active coaches with a national championship to his name, and he has a Heisman Trophy candidate in Drake Maye leading his offense at quarterback. The Tar Heels even made it to the ACC Championship Game last season, their first appearance since 2015. But that came after a four-game skid to end the regular season, including a loss to a four-win Georgia Tech team that had an interim coach. North Carolina's defense looked hapless at times, and Brown's decision to stick with defensive coordinator Gene Chizik seems questionable. That unit's improvement determines North Carolina's ceiling. Last year: 4 in the ACC

NC State
Dave Doeren (25 overall): NC State has been on the cusp of a breakthrough over the past couple seasons. The Wolfpack even beat Clemson in 2021 -- the first time in a decade -- but fell short of the ACC title game. Unfortunately for NC State, the 2022 season derailed when star quarterback Devin Leary went down with injury. Even so, Doeren is the first NC State coach in almost 30 years with two consensus top-25 finishes to his name. Last year: 5 in the ACC

Pittsburgh
Pat Narduzzi (29 overall): Narduzzi lost a Heisman finalist at quarterback, had to cycle through signal-callers due to various injury issues in 2022 and still managed to win eight regular-season games -- including a bowl victory over UCLA. This came a year after he led the Panthers to their first ACC championship in program history and first New Year's Six bowl appearance since 2004. Narduzzi has just one losing season on his ledger as Pitt's head coach. Last year: 6 in the ACC

Louisville
Jeff Brohm (33 overall): Brohm is the ACC's only brand-new coach (not counting returning interims) this year. He returns to his alma mater after an underrated stint at Purdue where he led the Boilermakers to the 2022 Big Ten Championship Game, emerging as the benefactor of a messy Big Ten West. In his last two years as Purdue's coach, Brohm posted a 17-9 record with a more impressive 12-6 showing in Big Ten play. Though Louisville did not have to fire a coach to get Brohm home (Scott Satterfield left of his own volition), it seems as if the Cardinals upgraded. Last year: N/A in the ACC

Miami (Fla.)
Mario Cristobal (39 overall): What a difference a year makes. Cristobal debuted in the top three of last year's ACC coach rankings but plummets after a sorry first year at Miami. It was his first losing season as a full-time Power Five coach, and the Hurricanes finished just above Virginia and Virginia Tech in the ACC Coastal standings. They lost at home to Middle Tennessee State and beat just one FBS team that finished with a winning record. Cristobal recruited well, so the hope is Miami takes a leap in his second season. Last year: 3 in the ACC

Duke
Mike Elko (44 overall): For Elko to still be ranked this low after what he did with the Blue Devils last season seems weird. Maybe voters didn't want to jump the gun too quick, or chalked Elko's 9-4 record in his coaching debut to beginner's luck. The Blue Devils lost just one game at home and notched their first bowl win since 2018 by knocking off UCF in the Military Bowl. Duke is set to make noise in 2023 with Riley Leonard back at quarterback. Last year: 13 in the ACC

Syracuse
Dino Babers (53 overall): Syracuse's 10-win season from 2018 is looking more like a flash in the pan with each passing year. Babers led the Orange to just 11 wins from 2019-21 but bounced back in 2022 with a 7-5 regular season and an appearance in the Pinstripe Bowl. While Babers may not be capable of taking Syracuse back to prolific heights on a consistent basis, making a bowl after three years of wandering in the wilderness is a step in the right direction. Last year: 10 in the ACC

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/matthew-stenbroten-breaks-down-syracuse-commitment (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Lake Mills (WI) High linebacker Matthew Stenbroten committed to Syracuse on Saturday to kick off the month of July on a high note for the Orange.

"I committed to Syracuse because I felt it was too good of an opportunity for me to pass up," Stenbroten said. "I think the combination of both the level of football and the position they were recruiting me at made it the best fit for me to succeed at the next level."

During the recruiting process, the 6-4, 225 pound linebacker took a close look at all of his options. When he finished his evaluation process, he was left with only one conclusion.

"I knew Syracuse was the spot for me when I was narrowing down my top schools and writing down pros and cons," Stenbroten said. "My family was fully supportive of my decision and they thought Syracuse would be a great fit for me. I also felt if I didn’t take this opportunity presented to me, I would regret it."

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/willy-love-postpones-commitment-announcement (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 Camden (NJ) Eastside defensive back Willy Love will no longer announce his commitment on July 6th, he said on social media Monday night.

"I will no longer be committing this Thursday (July 6th)," Love said in a social media post. "My recruitment is 100% open & will be so further to all schools outside of the 'Lucky Seven.'"

Last month, Love released his "lucky seven" to indicate he was down to seven schools. Those seven included Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas A&M and West Virginia. Monday's announcement suggests he is no longer down to just those seven and will consider all schools moving forward.

Love is rated a four star prospect by Rivals and the 247Sports Composite. ESPN and On3 rate Love as a three star prospect. Previously, Love was a four star on ESPN. He is considered one of the best recruits in New Jersey in the 2024 cycle.

He took an official visit to Rutgers last month but did not officially visit any other school. Love did, however, visit Syracuse for the seven on seven camp. Staff turnover this offseason meant he had to reestablish a relationship with who would be his future position coach should he pick the Orange. That would be safeties coach Darrell Perkins.

5 biggest winners from college football recruiting in June (saturdayblitz.com; Peterson)

Looking back at the month of June, here are the five biggest college football recruiting winners from the past month.

Another month of college football recruiting is in the books. The month of July has already started with fireworks, including a key five-star commitment on Sunday from Justin Scott to the Ohio State Buckeyes.

However, we still wanted to go back at look at our monthly college football recruiting winners for the month of June. We are a little behind, but it’s been a holiday weekend (sort of), so hopefully you’ll excuse us being a couple of days tardy with this post.

At any rate, here are the five biggest college football recruiting winners from the month of June.

5. Nebraska football

Matt Rhule and the Cornhuskers did some serious work on the recruiting trail for the month of June, landing a total of 15 commitments.

However, it wasn’t just the sheer number of commitments that got Nebraska football on this list. The Huskers landed their top overall prospect left on the board in Carter Nelson. The 78th-ranked prospect in the 2024 class via the 247 Sports composite rankings, was trending to Georgia at one time. Notre Dame was right there too.

But Rhule was able to keep the elite tight end home, which was a huge recruiting win. Nebraska football also landed Dae’vonn Hall (4-star WR), and Isaiah McMorris (3-star WR), flipped an Ole Miss trend with three-star RB Kewan Lacy, and also landed four-star Mario Buford.

Nebraska football started the month outside the top 30 and is now 14th overall in the 2024 college football recruiting class according to the 247 Sports team rankings.

Friedlander: Seventy-six things I love about the ACC - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

It’s the Fourth of July. America’s birthday.

So in celebration of our country’s independence and in the Spirit of ’76, here are 76 things I love about the ACC:

76, Coastal Chaos: The one thing about the elimination of football divisions that will be missed.

75, Jingling keys: It’s a 3rd down tradition at both Syracuse and Virginia Tech. It’s annoying, especially to the opposing team. But then, that’s the point.

74, Miami hype: Every year the Hurricanes football team is picked to finish at or near the top of the ACC. Every year, they end up disappointing. Maybe this will be the year they get their swagger back.

73, Tommy Hawke: Were the parents of the Wake Forest baseball Braves fans or did they just like the name?

72, Pittsburgh press room pierogies: Bet you can’t eat just one!

71, Chuck Walsh: Florida State’s basketball publicist has been the best in the business for a long time. He also leads the league in hugs.

70, #H2P: It stands for Hail To Pitt, a line in the school’s fight song.

69, Guys wear ties, girls wear pearls: You won’t find any school this side of the Ivy League that’s more preppy than UVa.

68, TV Teddy: Yes, he’s a hot dog. But that’s what makes him fun to watch. Plus, he’s one of the league’s best basketball officials.

TV TEDDY V ON TV WATCHING TV pic.twitter.com/H7sVOLaRjY
— SportsChannel8 (@SportsChannel8) March 17, 2017

67, $2 bills: If you work at a restaurant and Clemson is in town, don’t be surprised if you get one with an orange tiger paw stamped on it.

66, Carter-Finley pass outs: This isn’t what happens when a fan has too many Old Tuffys. It’s the policy that allows fans to go back to their tailgates at halftime and still return (sometimes) for the 2nd half.

65, The War Chant: Yes, it’s politically incorrect. But you know where you’re at when you hear it. Besides, it gives opposing fans something to taunt Florida State with when its team is winning.

64, Steve Forbes: The Wake Forest coach’s interviews are always entertaining, informative and honest. With the departures of Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Mike Brey and Josh Pastner, Forbes is the last vestige of personality left among the ACC’s coaching ranks.

Four-Star Safety Tyshun White Commits To UNC Football (tarheeltimes.com)

North Carolina received fireworks Tuesday with a commitment from 4-star safety Tyshun White. White, a 5-foot-11, 187-pound defensive back from Buford (Ga.) High, is the second-highest ranked player in UNC's 2024 football recruiting class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He is the nation's No. 29 safety and the No. 39-ranked recruit in Georgia. (Inside Carolina)

Late Kick: What if another ACC team besides FSU or Clemson makes the CFP? (cbssports.com; video; CBS Sports)

In this excerpt from Late Kick Live, Josh Pate provides insight into what another ACC team that's not FSU or Clemson would mean for the ACC conference.

Preseason Hype vs Actual Results, 2022 (RX; HM)

Preseason Hype vs Actual Results, 2022

What do the 2022 Alabama, Clemson, NC State, Notre Dame, Iowa, West Virginia, and Pitt football teams all have in common? They all underperformed by the same amount, namely, half a game...

Team
Over
/Under
Actual
Reg Sea
Actual
vs Pred
Georgia10.5121.5
Ohio State10.5110.5
Alabama10.510-0.5
Clemson10.510-0.5
Michigan9.5122.5
USC9.5111.5
Oklahoma9.56-3.5
Cincinnati990
Utah990
Houston97-2
Penn State8.5101.5
Oregon8.590.5
UCF8.590.5
UCLA8.590.5
NC State8.58-0.5
Notre Dame8.58-0.5
Pittsburgh8.58-0.5
Texas8.58-0.5
BYU8.57-1.5
Oklahoma State8.57-1.5
Wisconsin8.56-2.5
Miami (FL)8.55-3.5
Texas A&M8.55-3.5
Kentucky87-1
Tennessee7.5102.5
Washington7.5102.5
North Carolina7.591.5
Minnesota7.580.5
Ole Miss7.580.5
Purdue7.580.5
Iowa7.57-0.5
Arkansas7.56-1.5
Baylor7.56-1.5
Michigan State7.55-2.5
Nebraska7.54-3.5
LSU792
Florida76-1
Virginia73-4
TCU6.5125.5
Florida State6.592.5
Kansas State6.592.5
Oregon State6.592.5
Mississippi State6.581.5
Louisville6.570.5
Wake Forest6.570.5
Auburn6.55-1.5
Iowa State6.54-2.5
Boston College6.53-3.5
Virginia Tech6.53-3.5
South Carolina682
Maryland671
Arizona State63-3
Texas Tech5.571.5
Washington State5.571.5
Missouri5.560.5
West Virginia5.55-0.5
California5.54-1.5
Syracuse572

2023 Independents Day (RX; HM)

2023 Independents Day

Welcome to "Independents Day" 2023, when we take a look at the state of FBS Independents.

Last year there were seven FBS programs playing as independents:

• Army
  • BYU
  • Liberty
  • New Mexico St
  • Notre Dame
  • UConn, and
  • UMass
This year, as of July 1st, there are only four. What happened?
  • BYU joined the Big XII.
  • Liberty and New Mexico State joined C-USA.

Best/Worst Big Game Coaches (2023) (RX; HM)

Best/Worst Big Game Coaches (2023)

Kudos to Amy Daughters for tabulating Which current Power 5 head coaches are the best and worst vs. the Top 25? - no small task! Here are the top and bottom tens, along with Amy's comments on the ACC coaches who made these lists. First, some bits from the intro:

Of the 68 Power 5 head coaches coming into 2023, how many do you think have a career winning record vs. ranked opponents? ...the answer is 18 percent, or only nine elite individuals. What remains (other than one guy with a .500 record vs. ranked foes) are 39 head coaches, or a whopping 79 percent of the most experienced field, with a career losing record vs. the Top 25...
...the highest paid coach with the worst career record vs. ranked opponents is Penn State’s James Franklin who is No. 8 in total pay (a cool 8.5 million) despite a 13-20 record (30.2%) vs. the Top 25...

Now, on to the lists...

THE BEST

(10) Mel Tucker – Michigan State – 50.00% (8-8)
T(9) Brian Kelly – LSU – 51.56% (33-31)
T(9) Jimbo Fisher – Texas A&M – 51.56% (27-25)
(7) Josh Heupel – Tennessee – 53.33% (8-7)
(6) Chip Kelly – UCLA – 55.56% (20-16)
(5) Dabo Swinney – Clemson – 61.67% (37-23)

Though there are four P5 coaches ahead of Dabo Swinney in the career Top 25 winning-percentage only one – Nick Saban – has participated in more ranked games as he has with 60 since taking over at Clemson in 2009. The Tigers have only failed to beat a ranked opponent during one season of Swinney’s 15 years, posting a 0-3 record in 2014 with losses at (12) Georgia, at (1) Florida State, and at (24) Georgia Tech. Swinney is the second-highest paid FBS coach with a 10.5-million-dollar paycheck.

(4) Lincoln Riley – USC – 66.67% (16-8)
(3) Nick Saban – Alabama – 68.28% (99-46)
(2) Kirby Smart – Georgia – 71.79% (28-11)
(1) Ryan Day – Ohio State – 72.73% (16-6)

THE WORST

(10) Justin Wilcox – Cal – 25% (4-12)
(9) PJ Fleck – Minnesota – 20% (4-16)
T(7) Billy Napier – Florida – 18.18% (2-9)
T(7) Eliah Drinkwitz – Missouri – 18.18% (2-9)
(6) Scott SatterfieldCincinnati – 15.38% (2-11)
(5) Greg Schiano – Rutgers – 12.9% (4-27)
(4) Tom Allen – Indiana – 11.54% (3-23)
(3) Matt Rhule – Nebraska – 11.11% (2-16)
(2) Jeff Hafley – Boston College – 10% (1-9)

Jeff Hafley has been at Boston College since 2020 and has successfully converted just one of his 11 tries to knock off a ranked opponent, rolling in to (17) NC State as 18-point underdogs last season and scoring a 21-20 victory. Hafley is one of the lowest paid P5 head coaches, his 2.9-million-dollar salary coming in at No. 57.

(1) Mike Locksley – Maryland – 8% (2-23)

College School Employees, 2023 (RX; HM)

College School Employees, 2023

Who'da thunk it?

ECONOMIC ENGINES:
Top 25 Biggest University Employers

One aspect of big universities that doesn't get enough attention is their huge role as local economic engines and employers

Here are the 25 biggest higher ed employers, led by (no surprise!) four of the @bigten members: pic.twitter.com/QQKNFfwkz6
— Tony Altimore (@TJAltimore) July 4, 2023

The ACC with the most full-time employees is... Duke? If you're only thinking of the size of the school, that may sound strange. If you're thinking of Duke Medical Center, though, it makes a lot more sense. In fact, that Medical Center employs over 11,000 people by itself!

ACC Mt Rushmore - Defense, 2023 (RX; HM)

ACC Mt Rushmore - Defense, 2023

ACC Football Mount Rushmore - Defense

Look in the Hall of Fame and you'll find plenty of guys who used to play for one of the 14 schools that make up the ACC. Here are some of the best...

All-Time Defensive Linemen

The ACC was home to some of the best in the business at putting their hands in the dirt and getting after the quarterback. Who could forget Clemson's "Power Ranger" quartet featuring Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant and Clelin Ferrell? NC State's Mario Williams was the top selection of the 2006 NFL Draft. UNC's William Fuller and Julius Peppers still strike fear into opposing linemen. Florida State has had countless elite defensive linemen led by Peter Boulware, Reinard Wilson, Corey Simon and Andre Wadsworth. Check out who made our "Mt. Rushmore" on the defensive line right here!

CFB/CFP Factoids 2023 July 4th (RX; HM)

CFB/CFP Factoids 2023 July 4th

Most of you have the day off. Enjoy your holiday! Meanwhile, here are some factoids for you...

Did you know...

From SI:AM's Wednesday email/newsletter...
Tuesday’s SI Question: Which school did the Supreme Court rule in its favor in 1984 in an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA concerning the ability to negotiate television contracts?
Answer: Oklahoma. Georgia was also a plaintiff in the suit, but the case is known as NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.

The two schools filed suit in 1981 after the NCAA threatened to sanction schools that allowed a group called the College Football Association to negotiate television deals on their behalf. The NCAA had controlled all TV negotiations and sought to maintain that exclusivity. The two schools sued claiming it was a violation of antitrust laws.
Under NCAA control, schools were limited in the number of times they could appear on national television in a given season. This helped smaller schools earn bigger paydays than they would have under a free market but reduced the earning potential for major programs that joined the CFA. The Supreme Court ruling, William Taaffe wrote in Sports Illustrated shortly thereafter, would benefit big schools at the expense of smaller ones.

(youtube.com; video; Always Irish)

Is The Notre Dame Administration "All In" On Football?

3 Reasons The Miami Hurricanes Will Shock The ACC In 2023 (clutchpoints.com; Shoemaker)

As the Miami Hurricanes football team enters the second year of the Mario Cristobal era, most are cautiously optimistic about the team's potential entering the 2023 season. However, there are compelling reasons to believe that this season could mark a significant turnaround for the Miami football team.

It all starts with head coach.

3. Second year under Mario Cristobal

The key catalyst behind the Hurricanes' football program's resurgence lies in the leadership of Mario Cristobal. With a successful track record at FIU and Oregon, Cristobal has shown his ability to transform programs. What may have been misunderstood about Cristobal upon his arrival at Miami, however, was his approach. No one expected a lackluster 5-7 season to occur, but that was the reality in year one. But if history proves itself true, the 2022 season will be looked back on as a building block instead of another stumbling one like most believed it was, setting the program up for great heights instead the usual pitfalls.

2. 2023 recruiting class

Despite that lackluster 2022 season, the Hurricanes football program under still secured the sixth-ranked recruiting class in 2023, as reported by On3's team rankings. The addition of two five-star offensive tackles, Francis Mauigoa and Samson Okunlola, along with a cohort of highly rated four-star recruits, demonstrates the caliber of talent that Miami is now attracting under Cristobal and staff. The ability to reel in such promising prospects, especially those within the state of Florida, despite a subpar season is a testament to Cristobal's persuasive recruiting prowess and his deep understanding of the program's potential. These new recruits inject a different vibe and overall energy into the roster and provide the necessary depth to compete at a higher level.

1. Somewhat favorable schedule

Other

QBGW7PH47JFWDEDGLPGOY4PDFI.jpg

A portion of the 129-acre parcel off North Burdick Drive where a developer is proposing to build a commercial/retail/residential development in the town of Manlius. (Elizabeth Doran | edoran@syracuse.com)

Large, dense housing complex proposed for Syracuse suburb includes some below-market rentals (PS; $; Horan)

A national developer has adjusted a proposal for a large-scale housing and retail complex on a busy strip in the town, adding more reduced-priced rental units into the plans.

If approved, it would be the largest development in the town of Manlius in the last decade, according to town officials.

A mix of about 300 apartments and townhouses is proposed for the northernmost portion of the 129-acre undeveloped property off North Burdick Street in the town of Manlius, just up the road from Towne Center of Fayetteville.

The Twin Shores project is part of Manlius Town Supervisor John Deer and other town officials’ push to build more dense housing at more affordable prices. The efforts are meant to tackle the region’s housing shortage and to prepare for an influx of workers expected after Micron Technology pledged to build a computer chip manufacturing complex north of Syracuse.

The proposal would also open the possibility for qualified people to rent a discounted apartment in Manlius, a community with one of the area’s highest-performing school districts, where households, on average, earn $92,000 a year.

The Manlius project, which also includes retail and possibly a movie theater, was first proposed last year by Illinois-based Twin Shores LLC. Since then, Deer said, said he’s been working with the developer to add more homes that are below market rate though not traditional subsidized housing.

“We are trying to hit that sweet spot,” Deer said, adding that he didn’t have specifics yet about rental prices. “We would love to have a huge affordable housing complex, but realize that developers can’t do that financially. We are looking for what percentage the market can bear.”

Some of the new residences would be designated as “workforce housing,” Deer said.

To qualify for workforce housing, renters would have to earn about 80% of the area’s median income, according to Alexander Lawson, housing policy coordinator for CNY Fair Housing. That group of people makes too much to qualify for traditional affordable housing but can’t pay full market rates.

2CBR6CZSAJHTFLOGKVWP3EFOKQ.jpg

Angler Bob Downey reels in a smallmouth bass on Championship Sunday of the Bassmaster Elite Series bass tournament, which was held on the St. Lawrence River in July 2022.Photo by Shane Durrance

Six New York waterways top Bassmaster’s best bass lakes list (PS; $; Featherstone)

Turn on any bass fishing program and you’ll likely see pros flipping lures into an impoundment lake somewhere in the south. But six New York waterways once again are near the top of the 2023 Bassmaster Magazine’s 100 Best Bass Lakes list.

This year’s list saw some changes, however. Previously ranked No. 1 in the country, the St. Lawrence River slid one spot, overtaken by O.H. Ivie Lake in Texas. The Lone Star state also placed the most fisheries in the Top 100 with ten, followed by California and Florida, each putting nine lakes on the list.

New York and Michigan each had six. In addition to the St. Lawrence River, five other fisheries in New York made the Top 100 list, including”

• Lake Erie/Upper Niagara River (No. 3. Northeast)
  • Lake Champlain (No. 5, Northeast)
  • Cayuga Lake (No. 11, Northeast)
  • Oneida Lake (No. 17, Northeast)
  • Chautauqua Lake (No. 21, Northeast)