Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
nhdd.jpg

Welcome to National Hot Dog Day!

National Hot Dog Day was started by the North American Meat Institute in 1991 and began being promoted and organized by the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council after they were created by the institute in 1994. The day coincides with the Annual Hot Dog Lunch at Capitol Hill in Washington D.C., which is also sponsored by the North American Meat Institute. The lunch, which has taken place for decades, is a large hot dog picnic attended by lawmakers, administration officials, and Capitol Hill staff. The goal of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council is for similar smaller events to be held around the country. Many national and local retailers have sponsored deals on the day. This holiday also takes place during National Hot Dog Month, which started in the 1950s.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...-training-camp-position-preview-defensive-end (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse football is expected to kick off training camp in the next few weeks or so with the season less than two months away. All Syracuse continues its series previewing each position headed into training camp with the defensive end position.

PREVIOUS POSITION PREVIEWS

Quarterback

Running Back

Tight End

Wide Receiver

Offensive Line

Defensive Tackle

WHAT WE KNOW

Caleb Okechukwu is one of the leaders of the entire defense. Okechukwu was one of the best defensive linemen in the ACC last season with seven sacks, two forced fumbles and a memorable pick six. The 6-4, 270 pounder is a big, physical athlete with a variety of pass rush moves at his disposal while also being solid against the run. On top of his physical traits, he is also one of the veteran leaders of the defense. Younger players look to him for guidance and he is very well respected in the locker room.

WHAT WE DON'T

Who will replace Jatius Geer? Geer transferred to South Carolina and the Orange is down one of its expected starting defensive ends. Geer started last season and recorded 3.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman. He flashed big time ability and was expected to have an even bigger year in 2023. It is definitely a big loss. So who fills that role as the starting defensive end opposite Okechukwu? Denis Jaquez and Kevin Jobity are the most likely candidates. Jaquez played in the first five games last season before suffering an injury while Jobity appeared in the final eight. Both were true freshmen who should expect to be better in year two.

Here’s which players Syracuse football, other ACC programs are bringing to ACC Kickoff (PS; Leiker)

The ACC announced the 42 players who will attend the annual ACC Kickoff event July 25-27 in Charlotte on Tuesday.

Syracuse football’s representatives are coach Dino Babers, quarterback Garrett Shrader, linebacker Marlowe Wax and tight end Oronde Gadsden.

Every team brings its head coach and three players, traditionally at least one from each side of the ball and then a third wildcard of sorts. Ten of the 14 conference programs are bringing their quarterbacks to the event.

This is the second year Shrader will attend on behalf of SU. It’s his third year with the program and second as definitive starting QB, and he returns this fall from a procedure on his throwing arm that kept him out all of spring camp. Shrader has already been voted a captain for the 2023 season.

Wax, another captain for the upcoming season, will also attend. He was SU’s leading tackler in 2022 and has made 25 consecutive starts. Pro Football Focus listed him as the No. 8 returning linebacker nationally. Wax was also named to Phil Steele’s second All-ACC team.

Keeping Up With The 315 7-18-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Keeping Up With The 315 7-18-23

Brian Higgins goes down the ACC Kickoff rabbit hole with Syracuse announcing the three players they will be bringing in addition to head coach Dino Babers. Next, Brian preview the TBT preview show, which will take place at 2 PM on Thursday. Finally, can anyone get a ticket to see the Savannah Banana’s at NBT Bank Stadium?!

Syracuse football 2023 opponent preview: Purdue Boilermakers (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

This one might feel familiar. Syracuse Orange football will follow up their second home game against Western Michigan with the first road trip of the season. It’s against the very same opponent from Week 3 of last year. But while the team is the same, the people that make up it are not...

Purdue Boilermakers

School: Purdue University

Nickname: Boilermakers

Mascot: Purdue Pete

#BRAND Slogans: #BoilerUp, #TheTimeIsNow

Alternate #BRAND Slogan Suggestions: #BoilerDown or “Fool’s Gold and Black”

Recommended Blog: Hammer and Rails

Conference: Big Ten

History vs. Syracuse: As hinted at before, the Orange and Boilermakers clashed in 2022, and it ended up being SU’s game of the year. Garrett Shrader found Oronde Gadsden for a 25-yard touchdown with just seven seconds left in the 4th quarter, securing a literal last-minute comeback win 32-29. There was also a game in West Lafayette in 2004... but let’s forget that ever happened and move on.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL: JAN 29 Michigan State at Purdue
Photo by Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Coach: Ryan Walters, First Season. For the second straight week, SU faces a true first-year head coach. Jeff Brohm went back to his alma mater of Louisville, so Purdue lured Walters from his Defensive Coordinator role at Illinois with a five-year contract offer. Prior to that, he spent seven years working with the Memphis defense, and also had stops in North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona. Walters played free safety for Colorado, who helped begin his coaching career in 2009.

Syracuse Football: Preseason player prediction superlatives for the Orange (itlh; Fiello)

July is already over half over which means we are a little over a month away from the start of the Syracuse football season on September 2nd against Colgate at the JMA Wireless Dome.

And while I can’t wait for that and the ending of the humid summer season, I thought I’d have some fun writing about the upcoming season.

In the past, I’ve written poems and broken down the games one by one and even tried predictions and while I might still do something like that again, I realized I never really tried individually acknowledging players.

So this year, for fun purposes only, I’m going to make some fun player predictions for the season. Some I think will be likely and some are just to keep it lighthearted and fun.

So without further ado, here are my first-annual Orangealicious preseason player prediction superlatives. Please take them in the lighthearted and fun way I’m intending and the ones more reality-based not as a slight on others but just simply my gut feeling in mid-July.

Here are my 2023 preseason player prediction superlatives for Syracuse football.

Most Likely to Win A Fan Favorite Award:

Hard to best Caleb Okechukwu who since Josh Black graduated seemingly is the guy many Syracuse football fans on social media enjoy interacting with, and he was also instrumental in the #LeQuintCanPlay creation.

2023 Trib HSSN Preseason Football All-Star Team: Aliquippa’s Tiqwai Hayes | Trib HSSN (tribhssn.com; Clark-Bey)

Aliquippa four-star running back Tiqwai “Tikey” Hayes is no longer an underclassman to watch whose commitment day is years down the road.

Hayes will soon get to choose from a slew of Division I offers, including Ohio State, Pitt, Penn State, West Virginia, Michigan State, Cincinnati, Louisville, Michigan, Maryland, Syracuse, UConn, UMass, UNLV, Marshall, Ohio and Central Michigan.

Hayes said he has recently been in close contact with Power 5 programs Wisconsin, Florida, Florida State and LSU as well.

Hayes is the No. 5 ranked junior in the state by .

Hayes is coming off a dominant sophomore season at Aliquippa, increasing his numbers from his freshman season, which is saying something. He rushed 245 times for 1,759 yards and 23 touchdowns as a freshman.

He then rushed 224 times for 2,011 yards and 34 touchdowns as a sophomore, leading the Quips to another WPIAL Class 4A championship with a 34-7 win over rival Central Valley at Acrisure Stadium.

Hayes rushed for 112 yards and three touchdowns in the championship game.

The Quips came up short in the state championship game against Bishop McDevitt, 41-18, at Chapman Field. Hayes rushed for 71 yards on 14 carries in the loss.

Hayes has great expectations for this season, looking to make a return to the state championship game.

“We have to continue to be conditioned because we are low on numbers,” Hayes said. “For the older guys, it definitely has be mental. We are dealing with inexperienced guys. It’s going to take our mentals and hard work.”

ACC News

David Glenn on 2023 ACC Football - Mac & Bone Podcast (omny.fm; podcast; Mac and Bone)

David Glenn, host and writer for the North Carolina Sports Network and WCHL & Chapelboro, joins the show to tell you why there should be a lot of hope for Duke football and his expectations for the North Carolina and top of the conference.

SBJ College: Will The CW match ACC's RSN audience numbers? (SBJ; Smith)

A somewhat belated congrats to Jay Jacobs, who formally retired at the end of last month from the best job ever (that's what he called the No. 2 position at a major athletic department). Jacobs held that No. 2 role at Florida for the past five years after a long run as Auburn's AD.

Raycom games shift to The CW -- for now

Raycom sold off the last of its ACC football and men’s basketball inventory last week, sending 50 games to CW Network. This is the package of games that used to be distributed by Fox and, previously, Bally.

Raycom used to sublicense these live rights from ESPN going back to 2010. Raycom then sublicensed those games -- typically one per week -- to Fox-branded and subsequently Bally-branded RSNs.

The Raycom arrangement runs through 2027. If The CW can clear even the same local markets for these 50 football and basketball games, the audience and reach for those ACC games should increase. This deal also helps The CW’s efforts to program their fall TV schedule.

The deal brings together several interested parties, one industry source said. Bally RSNs are part of the Diamond Sports Group (a Sinclair entity), The CW recently was acquired by Nexstar, while Raycom is part Gray Television.

ACC seeks top aide for commissioner

A couple of interesting job openings have come to the surface.
  • The ACC is seeking a newly created chief of staff role who will advise Commissioner Jim Phillips on strategies and initiatives for the conference. TurnkeyZRG is managing that search.
  • The search for Rice’s AD job is being managed by Parker Executive Search. The Rice job previously was held by Joe Karlgaard, who recently left the Owls’ top job to become CEO of GSV Summit. Karlgaard led Rice into the AAC.
  • Georgia is looking for an executive associate AD who will oversee strategic communications for the most dominant football team in the country. That role previously was overseen by Darlene Camacho.

2027 Revenue Bump - More than $3M each? (RX; HM)

2027 Revenue Bump - More than $3M each?

Just a quick little midnight post. All Sports Discussion found this video which says ACC TV revenue will climb to $40 million per school per year once the Raycom deal ends in 2027. Previously, I only heard about a $3M/school "bump" when those 50 events return to ESPN, but this potentially sounds like a lot more than that...

http://allsportsdiscussion.com/2023/07/18/acc-to-get-revenue-bump-in-2027-maybe-so/

...or is it a combination of small things, like the $3M bump plus the normal annual escalator? That would account for some, but not all, of that increase. Of course, maybe the source is incorrect, or maybe Joe Ovies is overestimating?

However, if this new information IS correct, it would put the ACC well ahead of the Big XII and Pac-10, and make it the clear #3 conference behind the SEC and B1G. There would still be a gap, but it would be more like $25M to $30M instead of $40M to $50M. That is huge!

Here's their tweet:

ACC to get revenue bump in 2027? Maybe So... https://t.co/gyOkkJXJRu

Links, News, and Rumors 2023 July 17 (RX; HM)

Links, News, and Rumors 2023 July 17

U of SC at Miami Game Delayed One Week

FBSchedules reports: The South Carolina Gamecocks and the Miami Hurricanes have adjusted the date of one of their future football games, according to South Carolina’s 2023 football media guide. South Carolina and Miami previously signed a contract... to play football games on Sept. 5, 2026 at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, S.C., and on Sept. 11, 2027 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla... the Gamecocks will now travel to take on the Hurricanes at Hard Rock Stadium on Sept. 18, 2027, one week later than originally scheduled.

Who will be this year’s disappointing contenders? I have five on my mind.

5. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Why is Notre Dame on this list? History told me to do it. I actually really like this year’s Notre Dame team from Sam Hartman to Audric Estime to that reloading defense. I even think Marcus Freeman is a budding star in the coaching ranks.
But something about Notre Dame and high preseason expectations just usually doesn’t end well. It’s a tale as old as time.
The Irish are considered a legit playoff threat this season with Hartman coming in to lead the offense but the receiving corps is relatively unproven and the defense lost some key players. I do think the Irish will be a top-20 team this season and win nine or 10 games, but I just don’t see them heading to the playoff.
I mean, they have to play at NC State, Duke, and Clemson while also facing Ohio State, USC, Pitt, and Wake Forest. They could win a majority of those games, but even three losses in those seven tough games could equate to a disappointing season with no New Year’s Six bowl. [NOTE: The Irish also play at Louisville - Hokie Mark]
4. Washington Huskies
3. Penn State Nittany Lions
2. Texas Longhorns
1. Tennessee Volunteers

So I guess that means they don't expect the two ACC contenders - Clemson and FSU - to flop!

2023 GameDay Predictions

From Athlon Sports: Week-by-week 'College GameDay' predictions for 2023 CFB season

Here are our College GameDay predictions for the 2023 season:
Opening Week: Navy vs Notre Dame (Dublin)
GameDay was to be at the Navy-Notre Dame game in Dublin in 2020 but the pandemic wiped out that matchup. So, on August 26, the 2023 college football season kicks-off at Aviva Stadium in GameDay’s first international broadcast.
Week 1: North Carolina vs. South Carolina (Charlotte)
There aren’t a whole lot of marquee matchups in Week 1 (FSU-LSU is Sunday night) but the Colorado-TCU game is intriguing only because the 2022 national runner-up entertains Coach Prime and his rebuilt Buffaloes.
But we’re going with a border rivalry featuring two very good teams--- North Carolina at South Carolina. The nation gets to witness Sandstorm under the lights.
Week 2: Texas at Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Week 3: Pittsburgh at West Virginia (Morgantown)
Lots of SEC possibilities this weekend--- Tennessee at Florida, South Carolina at Georgia or LSU at Mississippi State. We’re going out a limb and believe the Bristol Bunch visits the Backyard Brawl as West Virginia hosts Pittsburgh.
Week 4: Florida State at Clemson (Clemson)
Eugene has a chance if Oregon is off to a fast start and having Colorado and Coach Prime in town improves their odds. But those 6am shows in the dark on the west coast always seem to be lacking energy. News flash—college kids don’t do well at 6am on Saturday.
Florida State and Clemson may both be 3-0 and we guarantee the excitement dial will be peaking in Death Valley.
Week 5: USC at Colorado (Boulder)
Week 6: Oklahoma vs. Texas (Dallas)
Week 7: NC State at Duke (Durham)
Everyone thinks the Boys from Bristol will be at South Bend for the USC- Notre Dame game. But Notre Dame has usually proven themselves to be far overrated by this time of the season and do you think Walt Disney/ABC/ESPN really wants to promote an NBC game for three hours?
GameDay has never been to Wallace Wade Stadium and it’s time to make a visit to Tobacco Road. The Wolfpack and Blue Devils should be in the thick of the ACC title chase. If the Cameron Crazies get into the act, GameDay should be quite the scene. And think of the potential guest pickers….Mike Krzyzewski, Christian Laettener, Grant Hill, Melinda Gates, Tim Cook.
Week 8: Penn State at Ohio State (Columbus)
Week 9: Oregon at Utah (Salt Lake City)
Week 10: LSU at Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Week 11: Ole Miss at Georgia (Athens)
Week 12: Georgia at Tennessee (Knoxville)
Week 13: Ohio State at Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Week 14: SEC Championship (Atlanta)
Week 15: Army vs. Navy (Foxborough)

Best Fan Bases, by State (2023) (RX; HM)

Best Fan Bases, by State (2023)

(The OP says it was updated Feb. 2023)

Who has the best fans in every state?

From StadiumTalk: Best College Football Fan Bases by State, along with lots of "honorable mentions", for states with D-I football programs; comments are included for the ACC states:

Alabama: University of Alabama
Alabama Honorable Mention: Auburn University
Arizona: Arizona State University
Arizona Honorable Mention: University of Arizona
Arkansas: University of Arkansas
Arkansas Honorable Mention: Arkansas State University
California: University of Southern California
California Honorable Mention: Stanford
Colorado: University of Colorado
Colorado Honorable Mention: Air Force Academy
Connecticut: Yale University
Connecticut Honorable Mention: University of Connecticut
Delaware: University of Delaware
Florida: University of Florida
Florida Honorable Mention: Florida State University

Much like the University of Florida, the fan experience at Florida State can best be described as "hot." Anytime you get to a game before Nov. 1 you’re going to deal with some massively steamy conditions. The football team, on the other, has not been bringing the heat in recent seasons and is a long way away from the Bobby Bowden glory days. Seminoles fans are hoping for a turnaround under wunderkind new coach Mike Norvell, so they can stop start celebrating winning again.

Georgia: University of Georgia
Georgia Honorable Mention: Georgia Institute of Technology (aka Georgia Tech)

Georgia Tech’s fan base is one of the most underrated in all of college football, and the location in Atlanta is second to none. There’s a sprawling, welcoming tailgate for anyone who shows up. And, please, for the love of God, make sure you knock off some Waffle House before you get going at the game. And hope the Jackets get better soon.

Hawaii: University of Hawaii
Idaho: Boise State University
Illinois: University of Illinois
Illinois Honorable Mention: Northwestern University
Indiana: University of Notre Dame

Getting a game day experience at Notre Dame is a must for the most dedicated college football fans. You’ll feel like you’ve stepped into some sort of time machine for most of the day because of the way that Notre Dame embraces the nostalgia that occurs whenever they play a home game. Leading up to the game itself, make sure you take a stroll through campus, and just take it all in.
Indiana Honorable Mention: Purdue University

Iowa: University of Iowa
Iowa Honorable Mention: Iowa State University
Kansas: Kansas State University
Kansas Honorable Mention: Pittsburg State University (NOT Kansas!)
Kentucky: University of Louisville

You’re not going to get many better chances to imbibe on the level you will at a Louisville game, where some of the best bourbons in the entire world are going to be right at your fingertips. Like anything, this should be done in moderation, so make sure to toss an ice cube in there every now and then. And the football is usually played at a pretty high level, too.
Kentucky Honorable Mention: University of Kentucky

Louisiana: Louisiana State University
Louisiana Honorable Mention: Louisiana Tech University
Maine: University of Maine
Maryland: U.S. Naval Academy
Maryland Honorable Mention: University of Maryland
Massachusetts: Harvard University
Massachusetts Honorable Mention: Boston College

Anything past Oct. 1 is going to be requiring quite a bit of clothing if you’re headed to see a game at Boston College. Alumni Stadium doesn’t have a lot of distinguishable features that make it unique, but the best tailgating is going to be on Shea Field, which is attached to the stadium. The football team might not blow you away, but the Eagles are known for a good surprise every now and then. See Doug Flutie's "Miracle in Miami" in 1984.

Michigan: University of Michigan
Michigan Honorable Mention: Michigan State University
Minnesota: University of Minnesota
Mississippi: University of Mississippi
Mississippi Honorable Mention: Mississippi State University
Missouri: University of Missouri
Montana: University of Montana
Nebraska: University of Nebraska
Nevada: University of Nevada Reno
Nevada Honorable Mention: University of Nevada Las Vegas
New Hampshire: Dartmouth College
New Jersey: Rutgers University
New Mexico: University of New Mexico
New York: Syracuse University

The Dome is known for basketball. Period, point-blank. But the football team is nothing to scoff at, and it has as loyal a fan base as many, many other elite-level programs across the country. Current head coach Dino Babers seems like a keeper, even though 2019 may have been a step backward for the program.
New York Honorable Mention: Army

Attendees Announced for 2023 ACC Football Kickoff (theacc.com)

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Wednesday the 42 student-athletes who will attend the 2023 ACC Football Kickoff, July 25-27, at The Westin Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina. For the third consecutive year, each of the league’s 14 teams will bring three players to the annual event.

ACC Network will broadcast live from the ACC Football Kickoff. The three days of expansive coverage will begin at 9 a.m. every day and the 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports will provide the event’s most robust television coverage to date.

Among the offensive players in attendance at ACC Kickoff will be 11 quarterbacks, eight offensive linemen, three tight ends, two running backs and a wide receiver. Defensively, eight defensive linemen are scheduled to attend, joining five linebackers and four defensive backs.

The ACC continued to establish itself as the Conference of Quarterbacks in 2022, and many of the leading players return this season. Four of the quarterbacks at this year’s event ranked among the ACC’s top five in passing yards per game last season – North Carolina’s Drake Maye (308.6 – 1st), Florida State’s Jordan Travis (247.2 – 3rd), Duke’s Riley Leonard (228.2 – 4th) and NC State’s Brennan Armstrong (221.0 – 5th; while at Virginia).

Maye, the 2022 ACC Player of the Year, tied for the ACC lead with 38 passing touchdowns, two scores shy of the conference freshman record set by Florida State’s Jameis Winston in 2013. Maye’s 4,321 passing yards was the most ever by a freshman and ranks fifth all-time in the ACC.

Travis, who has thrown for nearly 5,900 yards in his time at FSU, returns after being Pro Football Focus’ (PFF) highest-graded FBS quarterback and the ACC’s highest-graded offensive player in the ACC (91.7). The West Palm Beach, Florida, native accounted for 32 touchdowns a season ago, the third-highest total in program history.

On the defensive side, the ACC’s top tackler in North Carolina’s Cedric Gray will be at this year’s event. Gray posted a Power-5 best 145 tackles with 82 solos in 2022, 27 tackles higher than second place. Miami’s Kam Kinchens, who paced the conference with six interceptions a season ago, will represent the Hurricanes at this year’s event. Kinchens was the first Miami DB to lead the ACC in interceptions since Artie Burns had six in 2015.

The ACC Kickoff student-athletes hail from 14 states with eight from Florida and six from North Carolina and Virginia. Georgia, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania will have three student-athletes apiece, while Maryland and New York will have two players each. Five states are each represented by one player, along with Ruisbroek, Belgium (Georgia Tech defensive lineman Sylvain Yondjouen).

The ACC celebrates its 71st season of football, as the conference continues to build off its storied tradition. The ACC has had a team in either the College Football Playoff or the BCS National Championship Game in eight of the last 10 years, including two teams in 2020. The ACC has the second most CFP appearances of any conference. The ACC posted five bowl victories in 2022, which tied for the second-most among all conferences.

The complete list of 2023 ACC Football Kickoff attendees include:

Boston College
Head Coach Jeff Hafley
Donovan Ezeiruaku, DL, Williamstown, N.J.
Christian Mahogany, OL, Elmwood Park, N.J.
Emmett Morehead, QB, Woodside, Calif.

Clemson
Head Coach Dabo Swinney
Tyler Davis, DL, Apopka, Fla.
Cade Klubnik, QB, Austin, Texas
Will Putnam, OL, Tampa, Fla.

Duke
Head Coach Mike Elko
DeWayne Carter, DL, Pickerington, Ohio
Riley Leonard, QB, Fairhope, Ala.
Jacob Monk, OL, Clayton, N.C.

Florida State
Head Coach Mike Norvell
Kalen DeLoach, LB, Savannah, Ga.
Jordan Travis, QB, West Palm Beach, Fla.
Jared Verse, DL, Dayton, Ohio

Georgia Tech
Head Coach Brent Key
LaMiles Brooks, DB, Jacksonville, Fla.
Jordan Williams, OL, Gainesville, Ga.
Sylvain Yondjouen, DL, Ruisbroek, Belgium

Louisville
Head Coach Jeff Brohm
Ashton Gillotte, DL, Boca Raton, Fla.
Bryan Hudson, OL, Georgetown, Ky.
Jawhar Jordan, RB, Long Island, N.Y.

Miami
Head Coach Mario Cristobal
Kam Kinchens, DB, Miami, Fla.
Matt Lee, OL, Oviedo, Fla.
Tyler Van Dyke, QB, Glastonbury, Conn.

North Carolina
Head Coach Mack Brown
John Copenhaver, TE, Roswell, Ga.
Cedric Gray, LB, Charlotte, N.C.
Drake Maye, QB, Huntersville, N.C.

NC State
Head Coach Dave Doeren
Brennan Armstrong, QB, Shelby, Ohio
Aydan White, DB, Asheville, N.C.
Payton Wilson, LB, Hillsborough, N.C.

Pitt
Head Coach Pat Narduzzi
MJ Devonshire, DB, Aliquippa, Pa.
Matt Goncalves, OL, Manorville, N.Y.
Phil Jurkovec, QB, Pittsburgh, Pa.

Syracuse
Head Coach Dino Babers
Oronde Gadsden II, TE, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Garrett Shrader, QB, Charlotte, N.C.
Marlowe Wax, LB, Baltimore, Md.

Virginia
Head Coach Tony Elliott
Chico Bennett, DL, Ashburn, Va.
Perris Jones, RB, Alexandria, Va.
Tony Muskett, QB, Springfield, Va.

Virginia Tech
Head Coach Brent Pry
Josh Fuga, DL, Woodbridge, Va.
Nick Gallo, TE, Richboro, Pa.
Ali Jennings, WR, Richmond, Va.

Wake Forest
Head Coach Dave Clawson
Mitch Griffis, QB, Ashburn, Va.
Chase Jones, LB, Warren, N.J.
Michael Jurgens, OL, Damascus, Md.

ACC Media Days 2023 schedule, dates: When coaches, teams will speak during four-day event in Charlotte (cbssports.com; Cobb)

The ACC is losing big-name quarterbacks like Sam Hartman, DJ Uiagalelei, Devin Leary and Malik Cunningham from last season, but the roster for ACC Media Days (officially ACC Football Kickoff) is a reminder that there is still plenty of talent at the position entering 2023. Of the league's 14 programs, 11 are slated to bring quarterbacks to Charlotte, North Carolina, for the unofficial kickoff for a new season.

Some like North Carolina's Drake Maye, Florida State's Jordan Travis and Duke's Riley Leonard are proven stars. Others such as Clemson's Cade Klubnik and Wake Forest's Mitch Griffis are stepping into the new territory by beginning the season as starters. Klubnik and the Tigers' offense figure to be a hot topic during the three-day event as Clemson welcomes new coordinator Garrett Riley to try and spark a unit that underachieved in 2022.

The Tigers have won seven of the past eight ACC Championship games, but there is a perception that they are slipping a bit after missing out on the College Football Playoff for two straight seasons. Florida State and a bevy of others are hungry to change the balance of power in the ACC, and ACC Media Days will help cement the storylines surrounding the conference entering the 2023 season.

Below is the full list of participants making the rounds at ACC Media Days, which begins July 25 with four programs taking the podium.

All times Eastern

Tuesday, July 25

10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Georgia Tech -- Brent Key | DB LaMiles Brooks, OL Jordan Williams, DL Sylvain Yondjouen
Louisville -- Jeff Brohm | RB Jawhar Jordan, DL Ashton Gillotte, OL Bryan Hudson
Miami -- Mario Cristobal | QB Tyler Van Dyke, DB Kam Kinchens, OL Matt Lee
Syracuse -- Dino Babers | QB Garrett Shrader, TE Oronde Gadsden II, LB Marlowe Wax

Wednesday, July 26

10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Duke -- Mike Elko | QB Riley Leonard, DL DeWayne Carter, OL Jacob Monk
Florida State -- Mike Norvell | QB Jordan Travis, DL Jared Verse, LB Kalen DeLoach
Pitt -- Pat Narduzzi | QB Phil Jurkovec, DB MJ Devonshire, OL Matt Goncalves
Virginia -- Tony Elliot | QB Tony Muskett, DL Chico Bennett, RB Perris Jones
Virginia Tech -- Brent Pry | TE Nick Gallo, DL Josh Fuga, WR Ali Jennings

Thursday, July 27

10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Boston College -- Jeff Hafley | QB Emmett Morehead, DL Donovan Ezeiruaku, OL Christian Mahogany
Clemson -- Dabo Swinney | QB Cade Klubnik, OL Will Putnam, DL Tyler Davis
North Carolina -- Mack Brown | QB Drake Maye, LB Cedric Gray, TE John Copenhaver
NC State -- Dave Doeren | QB Brennan Armstrong, LB Payton Wilson, DB Aydan White
Wake Forest -- Dave Clawson | QB Mitch Griffis, OL Michael Jurgens, LB Chase Jones

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...portedly-set-to-be-on-par-with-acc-and-big-12 (athlonsports.com; Borba)

On Tuesday reports from multiple outlets indicated that the Pac-12 will in fact not announce their media rights deal on July 21 at Pac-12 media day.

Something that was reported initially last week by Sports Business Journal's John Ourand, but what we did learn in a report by ESPN's Heather Dinich is the quality of the deal. Something that has been brought into question a handful of times, with some even believing that the deal was destined to underwhelm and the conference would see more defections.

The deal will not be announced at Pac-12 football media day on Friday in Las Vegas, the source told ESPN. It is likely to include a mix of streaming and linear options and is expected to be on-par with the ACC and Big 12, the source said.

While the Pac-12 has often been criticized for their long media rights process, Dinich revealed that is paying off for them according to her source.

Other

MUV25HHLABHDNHPJC6JN5KWMYI.jpg

An affiliate of the Allyn Family Foundation, which developed Salt City Market (at right), purchased the Chimes Building (left) and plans to create 150 mixed-income apartments.

The folks behind Salt City Market take another giant step, buying iconic downtown building (PS; $; Knauss)

The group that created the successful Salt City Market in downtown Syracuse is now undertaking a major housing development.

An affiliate of the Allyn Family Foundation has bought an iconic 12-story building across the street from Salt City Market with plans to develop 150 mixed-income apartments.

SEED Syracuse, the Allyn foundation affiliate, paid $8.2 million Friday for the high-rise building at 500 S. Salina St. You know it as the “Chimes Building.”

The purchase doubles down on the foundation’s high-impact efforts to re-energize the southern terminus of downtown and to spread out development along struggling business corridors to the south and west.

Renovating the Chimes Building, at an estimated cost of $35 million to $40 million, also will provide much-needed housing for a mix of tenants, said Meg O’Connell, executive director of the Allyn Family Foundation.

“We’ve seen how just the Salt City Market has revitalized this neighborhood,’’ O’Connell said. “How do you continue to build on that? You continue the revitalization down both West Onondaga and Salina Street.”

City officials are ecstatic about the plan.

Michael Collins, commissioner of neighborhood and business development, said a revived Chimes Building will complement the Symphony Place apartment project under construction across the street and the anticipated construction of the STEAM school one block to the south.

“I’m super-excited,’’ Collins said.

YUPPAQGQLRAOPD67ZTILVHNNYE.jpg

Micron to host public open house on semiconductor project in Clay (PS' $; Moriarty)

Micron Technology Inc. will hold an open house next month to give the public a chance to learn more about its plans to build the nation’s largest semiconductor fabrication facility in Clay.

The event is scheduled for 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 1, in the auditorium and exhibit foyer at North Syracuse Junior High School at 5353 W. Taft Road in North Syracuse.

Officials from Micron, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Onondaga County and the town of Clay will kick off the event with opening remarks. Then Micron officials will present an overview of their plans for the project at White Pine Commerce Park.

In addition, the public will have the opportunity to speak with Micron staff at various informational booths and ask questions about the megafab.

Micron said its next step before building the manufacturing facility is completing an environmental impact statement in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act and the State Environmental Quality Review Act.

Micron announced in October it had selected White Pine for the plant, which it says will cost up to $100 billion to build over 20 years and directly employ up to 9,000 people, with 41,000 more jobs created at supply chain companies.

The facility could eventually include four 600,000-square-foot cleanrooms, for a total of 2.4 million square feet of cleanroom space – the size of 40 football fields.

On Monday, the Clay Town Board voted to change the zoning at the 1,200-acre White Pine site on Route 31 to permit industrial use.

Last edited: