Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Welcome to National Opposite Day!

It is unknown when National Opposite Day started, or who started it. Some say it stems from a playground game where children trick each other with funny questions and opposite answers. There are some references to it having its roots in a statement President Calvin Coolidge made when he decided not to run for reelection in 1928, when he simply said, "I do not choose to run for President in 1928." The statement came as a shock to many in the public, which led them to wonder if he was really saying what he meant. Regardless of when or how the day started, today is for doing and saying the opposite of what is usually done, or saying the opposite of what is meant.

SU News

The Juice Online - Rapid Reaction: Syracuse Football's 2024 schedule released (r1vals.com; Bierman)

Following the release of the Week 1 ACC team opponents Monday, and the conference weeknight matchups on Tuesday, the ACC released the entire 2024 composite schedule for all 17 teams Wednesday afternoon.
In Fran Brown's debut season, the Orange have seven games in the refurbished Dome, and five on the road stretching coast-to-coast from Boston to the Bay Area.

RAPID REACTION

It's time to "Expand the Brand" nationally in the new Coach Fran era, showcasing the football program's Northeast-based recruiting philosophy. mixed in with the Southeast, Midwest, and a little bit of everywhere else, all important to bringing talented players to central New York.

For the first time since 1915, Syracuse will play two regular season games in the Pacific Time Zone in one season. Back at the tail end of what was a 9-1-2 campaign, the Orangemen ventured by train out west first to Montana, then for December games against Oregon State, and Occidental (Calif.).

In the 2000s, Syracuse football has only played twice on the West Coast - 2010 at Washington (Seattle) and 2011 at Southern California (Los Angeles), and did go to the Salt Lake City market in 2002 to face nearby BYU.

This season the Orange will not only have a conference road game against Cal in Berkeley (November 16), great for Bay Area and beyond alumni and fans, but also play in Las Vegas, a destination from everywhere, with the non-conference game against UNLV (October 5) announced Tuesday by the school.

Throw in the other road games against Boston College (November 9) which covers the Northeast recruiting territory, at North Carolina State (October 12) the Carolinas, and at Pittsburgh (October 24) for Pa. and Ohio, and that is a great mix of geographical exposure for both scholastic players and potential transfer portal entrants.

The major element to the home schedule is the athletic department secured a coveted seven home contests with the news that the Connecticut game (November 23) is in the Dome, the prelude to the season-ending matchup with Miami (November 30). While seven home dates is a positive, for the second straight year there will be no home games in October - a 35-day gap between Dome appearances, which is a negative.

About Miami playing in the Dome: It's only after 11 seasons in the ACC that Syracuse finally gets to host its conference brethren and old school Big East friend for the first time since 2002.

Even with conference expansion the Miami situation in itself has always been frustrating for Orange Nation. The original Atlantic/Coastal division scheduling model provided one set crossover opponent, which was Pittsburgh for SU, then cross-division teams meeting only once home/away over a 12 year period. The Orange played at Miami in 2017, and this season's game with the Hurricanes comes at the conclusion of that original 12 year cycle.

The visit by Stanford (September 20) for a first-ever meeting with the 'Cuse on a Friday night, occurs on the Dome's 44th birthday from the first-ever game in 1980. The game also marks Stanford's ACC debut.

Syracuse releases 2024 football schedule (DO; O'Brien)

Syracuse football released its schedule for the 2024 football season. The Orange will open the season on Aug. 31 against Ohio at the JMA Wireless Dome.

For the rest of its nonconference schedule, SU will host Holy Cross on Sept. 28 before traveling to Las Vegas for an Oct. 5 contest against UNLV. Originally, the matchup was supposed to be against Army, but since the Black Knights moved to the American Athletic Conference, it couldn’t fit in the Orange. Syracuse’s last nonconference matchup is against UConn on Nov. 23 at the Dome.

With a 17-team Atlantic Coast Conference in 2024, the Orange will not face Clemson or Florida State. Instead, they start the ACC slate with two home matchups versus Georgia Tech and Stanford on Sept. 7 and Sept. 20 with a bye week in between.

In October, SU heads on the road to face NC State on Oct. 12 and Pittsburgh on Oct. 24. Between the two games, the Orange will have their second bye week. After four weeks away from the Dome, SU will face Virginia Tech on Nov. 2.

The remaining ACC games include a Nov. 9 matchup against Boston College in Chestnut Hill and a game versus California on the West Coast before SU concludes the regular season at home on Nov. 30 against Miami.

Syracuse football might mess around and go 12-0 in 2024 - Student Union Sports (studentunionsports.com; Owens)

I am drinking all the Syracuse football Kool-Aid, and it tastes delicious. The Fran Brown era has seen domination in the transfer portal and on the recruiting trail. Today, the Syracuse football schedule dropped and it’s hard for me to envision a bad season for the Orange.

Mark your calendars for the first year in a new era of Syracuse football

Full schedule breakdown: 2024 'Cuse Football Schedule Announced - Syracuse University Athletics pic.twitter.com/jIRRJ1PHK1
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) January 24, 2024

At first glance, I do not see a single auto loss. In year’s past, a Clemson or Florida State on the schedule could mean trouble. There is part of me that wishes the Orange would have that kind of challenge this year. Instead, it will be a cakewalk potentially to the ACC Championship game.

The first third of the schedule

The Orange open with Ohio at home. I like the Bobcats, but without friend of the show Kurtis Rourke they are COOKED. Kyle McCord will light up their sorry MAC defense en route to a big win. Georgia Tech presents an interesting matchup in Week 2. I like Brent Key a lot and what he has done is admirable. But the Fran Brown train ROLLS ON.

Taking on Stanford in Week 3 is a classic mascot mashup on NCAA Football 14 (hopefully NCAA Football 24 if we ever actually get it). The Stanford Tree against Otto the Orange. Give me Otto in a blowout. The superior “S” logo lies in Central New York. Holy Cross comes to town next, and the Crusaders should say their prayers. 4-0 seems all but guaranteed.

The middle third

UNLV presents a fun and interesting first road test for Fran Brown and company. If QB Jayden Maiava was still in town, I would be nervous. With him now at USC, the nerves are not longer there. The next stretch of games are where I could see the Orange fall. NC State brings in transfer QB Grayson McCall from Coastal Carolina. NC State is always a tough road environment and anything can happen. Pitt is a tough road rival but not playing at Yankee Stadium is a welcome change. Finally, Virginia Tech smoked Syracuse this season but that was on a Thursday night in Blacksburg which is basically a cheat code.

If you believe in the 12-0 run, NC State will be the biggest threat. Standing here on January 24th, high on the new vision for the Syracuse football program, it’s a big, fat W. Pitt sucks. Easy win. Virginia Tech? Good luck beating a Syracuse team with a healthy quarterback. Kyle McCord has to stay upright, but if he does, they win sweep these four games.

The final stretch

As Syracuse closes in on their ACC Championship appearance, BC, Cal, and Miami represent their final conference games. Boston College on the road is essentially a home game and Syracuse will plant their flag at the 50 after an easy win. Cal is a weird conference road game. I still think the Orange handle them. UConn as the 11th game is a joke. Sorry Andrew Diaz, but this will be a laugher. 56-3 final score. That leaves Cam Ward and Miami inside the JMA Wireless Dome for a chance at a perfect season.

This would be the dream. 11-0 with a former Big East rival coming to Syracuse for the first time since 2002. A sold-out stadium. Chills. Absolute chills. Cam Ward deciding to ditch the NFL Draft and come back to college certainly throws a wrench in things, but not an insurmountable wrench. Miami has vastly underperformed for years and Cam Ward wasn’t able to elevate Washington State to the tune of wins. GIVE ME THE ORANGE TO CLOSE OUT A PERFECT SEASON BABY. It’s certainly a dream, but an attainable dream. Syracuse has the talent, now it’s time to find out if they have the coaching. With the college football playoff expanding, nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

1826972823.5.jpg

Allegiant Stadium Photo by Marc Sanchez/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Syracuse football adds road trip to UNLV on October 5 (TNIAAM; Ostrowski)

The Death Star plans are not in the main computer... because Syracuse Orange football downloaded them to use this fall.

On October 5, Emperor Fran Brown and his disciple Darth E.R. will be heading to Las Vegas to battle the Rebels, who have apparently hijacked the Raiders’ battle station. On top of providing us way too many opportunities for Star Wars puns, the game also fills the final non-conference opening in SU’s 2024 schedule.

We're headed to Vegas.

We've added a road game against UNLV to complete our 12 regular season opponents for 2024

Details: 'Cuse Adds UNLV to 2024 Football Schedule - Syracuse University Athletics pic.twitter.com/O9fxLzEEu4
— Syracuse Football (@CuseFootball) January 23, 2024

This will be the first ever matchup between SU and UNLV. Both programs are entering the season with big expectations following a massive incoming wave of high-rated players and a Mountain West Championship appearance, respectively.

While Syracuse is very used to playing in the Dome, they haven’t played in another indoor stadium since the 2013 Texas Bowl at NRG Stadium in Houston.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/...chedules-stanford-opens-syracuse-18626410.php (sfchronicle.com; $; Kroner)

Cal and Stanford had known since late October which teams they’ll face and where the games will be played in their inaugural football season in the ACC come August. On Wednesday the conference announced the dates for those games.

The Cardinal’s first ACC game will come Friday, Sept. 20, at Syracuse. The following day the Bears’ initial ACC game will be against defending conference champ Florida State in Tallahassee.

FSU has been embroiled in a dispute with the ACC and has expressed intentions of leaving the conference. Part of the Seminoles’ displeasure stems from the additions of Cal, Stanford and SMU.

Likely taking advantage of the fact that Stanford is on the quarter system and school won’t start until late September, the Cardinal will play back-to-back games on the East Coast, facing Clemson in South Carolina on Sept. 28. Cal has a bye that day, one of two byes each school will have during the season.

The first ACC games in the Bay Area take place Oct. 5, with Miami coming to Memorial Stadium and Stanford hosting Virginia Tech.

Syracuse football scores top 6 for 4-star athlete Quintin Simmons Jr., top-200 national prospect (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football has made the top six of 2025 four-star athlete Quintin Simmons Jr. from Ohio, he disclosed via his X page this week.

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Simmons is a talented wide receiver and running back who attends Withrow University High School in Cincinnati.

Per his X account, Simmons’ top six consists of the ‘Cuse, Kentucky, Penn State, West Virginia, Michigan and Cincinnati, a home-state team for him.

He was initially offered a scholarship by the former Orange coaching staff in February of 2023.

Syracuse football is a contender for 2025 four-star athlete Quintin Simmons Jr.

Besides his six finalists, Simmons has picked up scholarship offers from schools such as Boston College, Louisville, Indiana, Michigan State, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Marshall, UMass and Missouri, among others, according to recruiting services.

When I wrote this article on Tuesday, I didn’t see any analyst projections for Simmons, although On3’s recruiting prediction machine did have Penn State in the No. 1 spot for him.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...puts-syracuse-at-the-top-after-official-visit (SI; McAllister)
Class of 2024 Rye (NY) High quarterback AJ Miller was extended a preferred walk-on (PWO) offer by the new Syracuse staff. An official visit was quickly set up, which took place over the last few days.

"They rolled out the red carpet for me and my father," Miller said. "They had eight guys following us around, taking care of us. It was tremendous the love and support we were shown. It really showed a lot. Spearheaded by Caleb Holfoth and Khalil Ahmad. It was unreal. We went to the FSU game in the Dome. The Dome atmosphere was amazing. Unfortunately came up short but it was fun. Having so many members of the staff with me. Coach Harris from the quarterback staff was with me the whole time.

"Then we woke up, I went to campus and saw the Newhouse school. Obviously such a tremendous academic school. Got to see the facilities and what that offers me in terms of life after football. (Wednesday) was all football, all business. We started with breakfast up at Rise N Shine. That was pretty awesome, I enjoyed that a lot. Then it was just me and my dad and like eight guys, giving us everything we need. Then it was time to start talking ball. The one thing I will say is they said I'm the only PWO offered quarterback for them in the country."

During the visit, he spoke with the coaches about the quarterback room, his potential role, and the opportunity to earn a scholarship.

"They're keeping that room light on purpose," Miller said. "I'm not just coming in to be a tackling dummy, I'd be coming in to play football and compete. That was huge for my dad and I to hear. They said they treat everybody the same. Once you're here, we love you. They're taking care of you. That was something my dad and I loved to hear. There's a chance for me to grow, chance for me to play. I'll have every opportunity to earn that job during my time at Syracuse.

"I love all the strength staff and how the players love them. That was huge to hear from them and everything about that. After that we went with the Director of Player Personnel and went over the facilities being built. That itself was state of the art. Then we talked about academic support. If I do, I'm going to go to Newhouse. That was really good to know that I have so much support."

The coaches conveyed how they see the 6-3, 200 pound quarterback's skill set fitting into their offensive system.

"I have a great relationship with coach Nunz and coach Nixon," Miller said. "Now with coach Harris. They were telling me how they want to push the ball downfield. That's what they went over with my film the fact that I made every throw from every hash, sideline to sideline. That's what they're looking for. They want to push the ball downfield, RPOs. Then we went over the quick game and different concepts against cover two, how to break it down. Cover one. Quarters. It was really talking ball. Coach Harris was really impressed with the way I digested information."

Syracuse is going after what it wants in transfer portal, and it’s paying off (PS; $; Leiker)

In his first month as Syracuse football’s head coach, Fran Brown successfully recruited the Orange its two highest-rated transfers of the transfer portal era.

Transfers have made an impact for SU over the past few years — Garrett Shrader, Alijah Clark and Dan Villari are just a few who’ve been contributors — but Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord and Texas A&M defensive lineman Fadil Diggs are on a different level.

“I think both of them are huge upgrades on the field and represent a little bit of what this new staff brings in terms of a recruiting perspective,” Chris Hummer, a 247Sports reporter covering the transfer portal, told syracuse.com.

McCord and Diggs are both four-stars per 247Sports’ transfer rankings. Diggs is a top-50 transfer and top 10 at his position, while McCord’s just shy of the Top 50 at No. 59 and is the No. 12 quarterback from this year’s portal cycle.

Both were starters at talent-rich programs in the Big Ten and SEC, setting them apart from most of the players Syracuse has acquired from the portal in previous years.

Shrader had been switched to wide receiver at Mississippi State before he left. Clark appeared only limitedly for Rutgers’ defense. Villari was buried on Michigan’s QB depth chart.

Hummel said the addition of McCord brings “immediate legitimacy to Fran Brown’s offense in the first year.” Diggs, arguably, is doing the same for the defense.

Syracuse is in a new era, led by a young, first-year head coach who knows how to balance the portal with high school recruiting and isn’t timid about going after who he wants in either realm.

That’s a good thing.

Former All-CNY QB to become Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive coordinator (reports) (PS; McClendon)

The Cincinnati Bengals have reportedly selected their next offensive coordinator, and he has ties to Central New York.

Cortland native Dan Pitcher will be promoted from quarterbacks coach to OC after Brian Callahan vacated the position to become the Tennessee Titans head coach, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media.

The #Bengals have their replacement for OC Brian Callahan in their building: Sources say they are hiring QBs coach Dan Pitcher to be their OC -- an obvious choice.

The work he’s done with Joe Burrow (and Jake Browning) stood out. He and Zac Robinson were the two most popular OC… pic.twitter.com/ODh04VPcjj
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 24, 2024

Pitcher served as Cincinnati’s QBs coach under head coach Zac Taylor since 2020, but he began with the organization as an offensive assistant under former head coach Marvin Lewis in 2016.

Syracuse University signs collaboration agreement with Univeristy of Seoul (cnybj.com; Reinhardt)

Syracuse University and the University of Seoul in South Korea have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that will advance and expand academic and cultural collaboration and exchange between the two universities.

A delegation of leaders from the University of Seoul visited Syracuse on Jan. 8 to sign the MOU, Syracuse said in an online news release.

The ongoing relationship between the two institutions includes an MOU between the University of Seoul and Syracuse University’s School of Architecture that was signed last year.

The Jan. 8 gathering represented the second meeting between Syracuse University representatives and the University of Seoul.

The relationship between the two institutions could lead to other “possible outcomes” that include the establishment of a university center in Korea as well as the development of new University of Seoul programs that leverage Syracuse’s study abroad and study away facilities.

Other potential activities and programs include the exchange of faculty members; joint research activities, including semiconductor research; and participation in joint seminars and workshops, Syracuse said.

The delegation visiting the Syracuse campus included Yongkul Won, the school president; Jung Hyeun Kim, dean of the College of Engineering; Kang Su Kim, dean of the College of Urban Science; Ji Hee Song, VP of international affairs; Nohjeong Park, chief secretary to the president; and Eunhwa Shin, head of international partnerships, per the news release.

ACC News

ACC Unveils Complete 2024 Football Schedule (theacc.com)

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced its 2024 football schedule – the first under a new scheduling model with 17 total teams – Wednesday night during a two-hour special ACC Huddle: 2024 Football Schedule Release Show on ACC Network and simulcast on ESPN2.

The 72nd season of ACC Football is the first under a new seven-year scheduling model announced last October that runs from 2024 through 2030. Each team will play eight conference games per season, with all 17 teams playing each other at least twice over the next seven seasons – once at home and once on the road. The current 14 conference teams will play a total of three times each in California over the seven years and none will travel west to California in back-to-back seasons.

“The 2024 ACC Football schedule is significant for so many reasons. As always, there’s tremendous anticipation and excitement surrounding the upcoming season, which this year will include our newest members in Cal, SMU and Stanford,” said ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips, Ph.D. “Throughout the entire process – from creating the new model and building the complete 2024 schedule – the membership was incredibly thoughtful and committed to producing an exciting, fair, and balanced schedule with our student-athlete experience as the top priority. Between first-time matchups, meaningful rivalry games and once again playing arguably the toughest collection of non-conference opponents – there will be no shortage of interest in ACC Football throughout the season.”

The new schedule will continue with no divisions, feature 17 schools and will increase the number of annual conference matchups from 56 to 68. The top two teams based on conference winning percentage will compete in the ACC Football Championship Game on the first Saturday in December at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Annual Rivalries
• Starting with the 2024 season, the new scheduling model protects 16 annual matchups, 11 of which were retained from the previous 3-5-5 schedule model, the restoration of two rivalries from the divisional format in Miami-Virginia Tech and NC State-Wake Forest, and three new annual matchups with the additions of the University of California (Cal), Southern Methodist University (SMU), and Stanford University. The 16 matchups are spread out over seven weeks of the season, culminating with five annual matchups set for the last Saturday (Nov. 30) of the regular season.
Virginia Tech at Miami – Sept. 27
North Carolina at Duke – Sept. 28
Clemson at Florida State – Oct. 5
Wake Forest at NC State – Oct. 5
SMU at Stanford – Oct. 19
Syracuse at Pitt – Oct. 24
Florida State at Miami – Oct. 26
North Carolina at Virginia – Oct. 26
Syracuse at Boston College – Nov. 9
Duke at NC State – Nov. 9
Stanford at Cal – Nov. 23
Cal at SMU – Nov. 30
Pitt at Boston College – Nov. 30
NC State at North Carolina – Nov. 30
Duke at Wake Forest – Nov. 30
Virginia at Virginia Tech – Nov. 30

Friedlander: Key takeaways from the ACC's long, drawn out football schedule reveal - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)
On Monday it was Week 1 matchups.

Tuesday came the midweek games.

Wednesday, the ACC finally got around to releasing the rest of its 2024 football schedule, ending what had to be the slowest schedule rollout in the history of college football schedule rollouts.

But at least the schedule is out and we now know who will be playing where and when in 2024.

Here are some of the things to look forward to during the expanded league’s 1st season with new members California, Stanford and SMU:

Welcome to the ACC

The ACC sure has an interesting way of making its newest members feel welcome. The first official conference game for Cal and SMU will be against defending league champion Florida State.

The Bears travel to Tallahassee in Week 4 while the Mustangs host the Seminoles the following week. If that isn’t tough enough for SMU, which is coming off a title of their own after winning the American Athletic Conference in 2023, coach Rhett Lashlee’s team will have to turn right around and play the other ACC Championship Game participant, Louisville, on the road.

Stanford draws a much less taxing ACC debut at Syracuse in Week 4, although the Cardinal will have to travel all the way across the country to play the Orange.

Travel will be an issue for a lot of teams in the newly expanded All Coast Conference.

Cal will rack up the most frequent flier points with 19,192 round-trip miles getting to and from ACC road games at Florida State, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest and SMU. Stanford could potentially get a break if the Cardinal decides to stay on the East Coast for consecutive road games at Syracuse and Clemson. But if they make 2 separate trips, their mileage will be 16,538 while SMU will cover 9,851 miles.

Weekend warriors

Fifteen of the ACC’s 17 teams in 2024 are scheduled to play at least 1 game on a Friday or Saturday night. Six of them – Boston College, Duke, NC State, Stanford, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest – were “blessed” with 2 each.

Only 2 teams escaped the weeknight curse and will play traditional schedules in which all their games are on Saturdays.

Clemson’s exclusion likely has something to do with the school’s request to avoid hosting weeknight home games because of logistical concerns such as traffic and parking on a day in which school is in session. Virginia was likely left out of the equation because its team isn’t very good and would be a ratings anchor.

The good news for those teams that do have midweek dates is that the ACC arranged its schedule to prevent anyone from having to play on short rest either before or after a Thursday or Friday game.

Hi, remember me?

DJ Uiagalelei and Manny Diaz didn’t leave their previous ACC schools under the best of circumstances.
DUJ was basically run out of Clemson in 2022 after losing to rival South Carolina and being benched in favor of Cade Klubnik in the ACC Championship Game. Diaz was fired as Miami’s coach and replaced by Mario Cristobal in 2021 despite leading the Hurricanes to 3 straight bowls.

Both will get an opportunity for a little payback this season.

After spending a season at Oregon State, Uiagalelei is back in the ACC at Florida State. He’ll get to face his old team when the Tigers come to Tallahassee on Week 6. Diaz was hired by Duke to fill its coaching vacancy after the departure of Mike Elko. He’ll get his shot at revenge when he takes his Blue Devils to Miami in Week 10.

Another homecoming will take place in Week 11 when Diaz’s Blue Devils play at NC State. Wolfpack running back Jordan Waters previously played at Duke while former Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott will return to Death Valley as Virginia’s head coach in Week 8.

Bye, bye

Not counting Week 0 games – including Florida State vs. Georgia Tech in Dublin, Ireland – this year’s regular-season college football schedule beings on Aug. 31 and will cover 14 weeks rather than the usual 13.

That means everyone other than the Seminoles and Yellow Jackets will get 2 open dates.

That’s good news for 4 of the holdover ACC teams scheduled to play in California. Miami (Week 6 at Cal), Virginia Tech (Week 7 at Stanford), Wake Forest (Week 9 at Stanford) and NC State (Week 8 at Cal) will all get a week off to help recover from their jet lag.

Syracuse and Louisville aren’t as fortunate. The Orange is at Cal and the Cardinals are at Stanford on Nov. 16. They’re both at home the following week against UConn and Pittsburgh, respectively.

ACC Football schedule for 2024-25…? (youtube; podcast; 99.9 The Fan)
Chip Patterson, CBS Sports, on the ACC football schedule and his thoughts on how it’s laid out. What does Adam consider the “weakest rollout ever”? What is the schedule reveal about, in Adam’s opinion, and is it living up to that this year? What is Jim Harbaugh doing and does Chip believe he’ll stay a college coach or go to the NFL? How complicated is this whole procedure? Will the NCAA put the hammer down on Jim Harbaugh and/or Michigan?

2023-24 Blue Bloods Update (RX; HM)

2023-24 Blue Bloods Update

Gotta love Kyle Umlang for trying to quantify what it means to be a "blue blood" in college football - and I think he's done a very good job, too!

RT if your team is one of the Top 50 greatest college football programs of All-Time pic.twitter.com/7YtsXOCAEE
— Kyle Umlang (@kyleumlang) January 23, 2024

Based on this, the ACC is not so far behind the SEC and Big Ten (the ACC always does well when the ranking system is fair!). The conference now boasts 4 teams in the top 25, 3 more in the top 35 - and that's not even including #2 Notre Dame!

Blue Blood scoring ranks

2. Notre Dame
15. Clemson
16. Miami
17. Florida State
24. Pitt
27. Stanford
28. Georgia Tech
33. Virginia Tech
34. North Carolina
38. Syracuse
40. Cal
47. Boston College
49. NC State
50. Virginia

Other

L3PSNMU45JDVXGL5TE4HNGL3FE.jpg

The shaded area of this map shows the service area of the Oak Orchard wastewater plant. Onondaga County plans to run a sewer line from the plant, marked in white, to a pump station across Caughdenoy Road from the planned Micron Technology semiconductor manufacturing site, in the town of Clay. Thin red lines depict force mains, which carry sewage to the treatment plant. Black lines are the sewer line extensions that run from the mains to homes and businesses. Onondaga County Water Environment Protection Department.

Cost to build sewer line in Clay more than doubles – and it’s not because of Micron (PS; $; Coin)

The cost of building a new sewer line in the town of Clay has ballooned from $16 million to $35 million.

And the reason has nothing to do with Micron Technology’s plans to build a massive semiconductor plant across the street from the pumping station for the sewer line, said Eric Schuler, deputy commissioner for the Onondaga County Water Environment Protection Department.

The sewer line was planned before Micron announced in October 2022 it would spend up to $100 billion on four computer chip fabrication plants, or fabs. The line could radically transform the northern, largely rural section of Clay into a busy network of businesses, suppliers and the kinds of dense housing and retail developments the county says will be needed when Micron arrives.

Schuler cited several reasons that the cost of the municipal sewer line has grown beyond the $16 million approved by county legislators two years ago.

“When that number was initially put forth, the location of the pump station, the size of the pipes, the number of pipes wasn’t necessarily ironed out yet,” Schuler said. “It was very conceptual.”

Inflation has taken its toll, too, he said.

“At the end of the day things cost what they cost,” he said. “The market we’re in is a little high post-Covid.”

The Environmental Protection Committee of the county Legislature on Tuesday unanimously approved borrowing the additional $19 million to build the sewer line. The full legislature will vote on the proposal at a future meeting.

Micron will attach to the sewer line, Schuler said, but only for wastewater from sinks, toilets and similar uses. Those will have a minimal impact on the line, Schuler said.

The chip plant’s industrial wastewater will go through a much larger, separate series of pipes yet to be constructed.

IJWUC7YEF5H4DJL42RINM4A7UY.jpg

This location at 311 W. Fayette St., once home to The Stoop and Le Melange restaurants, is expected to home to a new bistro called Touche by the spring of 2024.Don Cazentre

Classic bistro-style restaurant to open in downtown Syracuse (PS; Cazentre)

It has a French-sounding name, and will serve some classic French bistro menu items, such as Steak Frites.

But Touché, a new restaurant coming to Syracuse’s Armory Square, will expand the bistro concept to include dishes from other European cuisines, like Wiener Schnitzel.

Co-owner Bob Leonard hopes to open Touché in late spring at 311 W. Fayette St. That building has recently been home to the original Le Melange (before it relocated), and earlier housed The Stoop and the Scratch Bake House.

Leonard is also the co-owner of Nobody’s, a high-end wine bar that opened last fall at 222 Walton St, around the corner and up the block from the Touché location.

As with Nobody’s, Leonard said his goal with Touché is to offer something different on the local dining scene.

“The point is a place for people to go out to eat a professionally prepared meal and be in and out in 40 minutes to an hour,” Leonard said. “There are great places here (in Armory Square) and we don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. We will be something just a little different.

“It’s bistro-inspired,” he said, “and rooted in the classics.”